Sports What Ifs.

Brady and Reid is something worthy to see, more if Brady determination can turn around Reid awful clock management and bad luck on playoffs
That would be something to see, IMO; BTW, I have a new scenario in the previous post (apologies for editing it)...

Here's an idea, coming from my Barry Sanders stays at Oklahoma State in his senior year scenario: assuming the Cowboys still draft Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft, the Atlanta Falcons had the #1 pick in 1990, which, in OTL, they traded to the Indianapolis Colts. In a Barry Sanders in the 1990 NFL draft scenario, do they hold on to the #1 pick and draft him, or do they trade him for a king's ransom of draft picks (similar to what the Cowboys pulled off with Herschel Walker the previous year (1))?

(1) Who, funnily enough, is considering running for Senate in Georgia, but that's for Chat...
I can see the Falcons drafting him, and having both Sanders on the same team for a while, as Sanders would do wonders on Georgia. With Walker, Falcons could beat broncos and retire elway with just a ring.

That would be something to see, IMO; BTW, I have a new scenario in the previous post (apologies for editing it)...
Yeah i answering it on a way keep the original Forever.

Let's keep playing the scenario, Brows take Mcnabb, Eagles Ricky, Cincy Couch and some fool take Akili Smith(vikes? lions?) the other would take Daunte.

2000 browns might not have the #1 draft pick maybe they did trade down with the jets as jets coveted Chad Pennington? Andy Reid decided took brady on fourth or fifth round.etc

Let's keep playing the scenario, Brows take Mcnabb, Eagles Ricky, Cincy Couch and some fool take Akili Smith(vikes? lions?) the other would take Daunte.
Bengals seemed hellbent on Akili Smith (to the point that they turned down a far worse trade from my Saints), so I doubt anything would convince them otherwise (especially with Mickey Brown). McNabb, with the same downdraft pieces would have a slightly more impressive offensive attitude, but I doubt that would improve the Browns on a team that needed more than just a QB. That being said, Couch probably ends up in Philly with Reid, which gives him a better outlook of a career (unless Philly was willing to play the Ricky Williams trade game).
2000 browns might not have the #1 draft pick maybe they did trade down with the jets as jets coveted Chad Pennington? Andy Reid decided took brady on fourth or fifth round.etc
Actually, with the push for McNabb and, probably, a more active voice, I wonder if the Browns would take up the three first rounders offer from the Jets and build with that (especially on defense) and maybe push for a second from the Jets instead of all the first rounders (allowing them a larger focus on offensive protection and some weapons). With that, the Browns have a solid roster to go forward with for a couple of years, given the right front office and coach.

On degrom day, the RedSox wanted him for a catcher I forgot the name and that wasn't the only time RedSox wanted mets pitcher, the redsox offered Mookie Betts Straight for Matt Harvey https://www.theodysseyonline.com/trade-matt-harvey-mookie-betts

In 2012, the Red Sox asked for a minor leaguer for Kelly Shoppach. That minor leaguer missed 2011 with TJS. That was DeGrom. (Mets would trade Pedro Beato for Shoppach later in 2012. Pedro Beato was last with the Long Island Ducks two years ago and has seemingly retired.)

Blue Jays asked for David Wright in exchange for Jose Cruz Jr. in I think 2002 when Wright was still in the minors.

My favorite nixed Mets trade for the potential butterflies is a proposed Mets/Mariners deal between 1988 and 1989. Mets would have traded Howard Johnson, Sid Fernandez and David West for Mark Langston and two prospects. Those two prospects? Omar Vizquel and Jay Buhner. Davey Johnson threw a tantrum and nixed it. They make a disastrous trade for Frank Viola instead, trading Kevin Tapani, Rick Aguilera and West for him. So if this happens, Mets have Langston, Vizquel, Buhner and keep Aguilera and Tapani. Hojo and Sid don't really do much after 1991 IRL, West doesn't pan out and that probably doesn't change. Seattle doesn't trade for Randy Johnson. IOTL, Seattle trades Omar Vizquel to Cleveland for Reggie Jefferson and Felix Fermin and Seattle almost traded Fermin for Mariano Rivera in 1995. In the alt timeline, Seattle is basically just the Griffey and Edgar show and do they even stay in Seattle? The Mets stay stronger and may avoid the "Worst Team Money Could Buy" era. Minnesota doesn't get Tapani and Aguilera and they may not go as far in 1991.

They were considering a move to...Houston.

Devils to Nashville after 1995 too.

Last edited:
n the alt timeline, Seattle is basically just the Griffey and Edgar show and do they even stay in Seattle?
Yes, Nintendo was hellbend keeping the Mariners in Seattle and Worked(Safeco Field was such a beauty), here they might keep certain SS/3B, his name? Alex Rodriguez.

The Mets stay stronger and may avoid the "Worst Team Money Could Buy"
This means not Piazza, neither Bonilla buyout ended up on the chain of events give us David Wright...that failed trade worked far better than intended

My favorite nixed Mets trade for the potential butterflies is a proposed Mets/Mariners deal between 1988 and 1989. Mets would have traded Howard Johnson, Sid Fernandez and David West for Mark Langston and two prospects. Those two prospects? Omar Vizquel and Jay Buhner. Davey Johnson threw a tantrum and nixed it. They make a disastrous trade for Frank Viola instead, trading Kevin Tapani, Rick Aguilera and West for him. So if this happens, Mets have Langston, Vizquel, Buhner and keep Aguilera and Tapani. Hojo and Sid don't really do much after 1991 IRL, West doesn't pan out and that probably doesn't change. Seattle doesn't trade for Randy Johnson. IOTL, Seattle trades Omar Vizquel to Cleveland for Reggie Jefferson and Felix Fermin and Seattle almost traded Fermin for Mariano Rivera in 1995. In the alt timeline, Seattle is basically just the Griffey and Edgar show and do they even stay in Seattle? The Mets stay stronger and may avoid the "Worst Team Money Could Buy" era. Minnesota doesn't get Tapani and Aguilera and they may not go as far in 1991.

I have heard about this. Wasn't this around the 1989 trade deadline?

Wow! I didn't know that they could have gotten Buhner and Vizquel. If they have all those players into 1991-92 (and beyond), they probably don't have their downward spiral. Also, they would have been better off avoiding Bobby Bonilla (let him go to the Phils).

Here's a very simple one.

What if the Astros didn't cheat in 2017? (and 2018, but 2017 is the big one since they won that year and not 2018)

What if the Astros didn't cheat in 2017? (and 2018, but 2017 is the big one since they won that year and not 2018)
Why they even cheated? For me it looked didn't need it...maybe the did beats the royals in 2015 so never need cheating?

I have heard about this. Wasn't this around the 1989 trade deadline?

Wow! I didn't know that they could have gotten Buhner and Vizquel. If they have all those players into 1991-92 (and beyond), they probably don't have their downward spiral. Also, they would have been better off avoiding Bobby Bonilla (let him go to the Phils).

I think winter meetings in 1988 up until before ST in 1989. It went through many incarnations. (There was even a proposal with a multi team trade that would have seen Wade Boggs go to KC! https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-05-27-8901270458-story.html )

Before I answer this, I'd like to clarify that I'm a Mets fan, so I really don't have a horse in this race. At the very most, I was hoping the Dodgers would win in 2017, so take that however you choose to.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost. After all, as is frequently brought up in my social circles, you may be able to have the signs, but there is a special amount of effort actually needed to pull off hitting a ball that travels at 100 MPH, especially hitting it so powerfully that it lands 400 ft away. So, let's say that AJ Hinch told Alex Cora (and Beltran, for that matter) something to the tune of "cut it the hell out, or get the hell out" early in the season after he realizes just how bad it would look if discovered. I think that, with the offensive weapons they had partnered with the all-around elite pitching, they would likely still win their division and at least 90-95 games, with some wins being taken off because of the late-game implications of the scandal, and others just due to butterflies. They make the postseason, probably still the second seed in the AL. From here, it's a crapshoot, although it's overwhelmingly likely that the Dodgers tear through the NL like they did IOTL, with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS), the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Astros. My money would be on the Indians facing the Dodgers in the series, with LA winning in six.

After that, the butterflies really begin to take hold; it's written in the stars that Cora would go to the Sox, but if the Yankees lose to the Indians, would they still fire Girardi? Would they hire someone other than Boone? If the Yankees go to the World Series or, (god help us) win it, what ramifications would that have? The Red Sox were a monster team in 2018, and there need to be further considerations about how much they were aided by sign-stealing. If it wasn't too major a factor, they'd likely still win 104+ games and the fall classic. If it was as big a deal as some have made it, could they fall in the playoffs to the Astros, could the Indians go three-peat as AL Pennant winners? Maybe the Dodgers go all the way and win it.

What I'm saying is the Astros are a very talented team, but their cheating is a major question mark, even after all of the investigations and inquiries. The most likely answer is that, if they didn't cheat in 2017 (or beyond) they'd probably still make it to the World Series at some point in this four-year span, and they might still win it. They are just too talented not to. The effects are unquestionable, though. Alex Cora to the Red Sox is a powerful consequence of their success, as is Aaron Boone's rise to the command of the Bronx Bombers. Even looking to the future, the Tigers with Hinch could end up as contenders in two-to-three years, and the Red Sox are surging as of the time of writing. Carlos Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well), and he would have fewer obstacles when he tries to make his case for Cooperstown in the next few years. But, ultimately, there is something we should all remember; Aaron Judge was terrible in the playoffs.

Before I answer this, I'd like to clarify that I'm a Mets fan, so I really don't have a horse in this race. At the very most, I was hoping the Dodgers would win in 2017, so take that however you choose to.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost. After all, as is frequently brought up in my social circles, you may be able to have the signs, but there is a special amount of effort actually needed to pull off hitting a ball that travels at 100 MPH, especially hitting it so powerfully that it lands 400 ft away. So, let's say that AJ Hinch told Alex Cora (and Beltran, for that matter) something to the tune of "cut it the hell out, or get the hell out" early in the season after he realizes just how bad it would look if discovered. I think that, with the offensive weapons they had partnered with the all-around elite pitching, they would likely still win their division and at least 90-95 games, with some wins being taken off because of the late-game implications of the scandal, and others just due to butterflies. They make the postseason, probably still the second seed in the AL. From here, it's a crapshoot, although it's overwhelmingly likely that the Dodgers tear through the NL like they did IOTL, with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS), the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Astros. My money would be on the Indians facing the Dodgers in the series, with LA winning in six.

After that, the butterflies really begin to take hold; it's written in the stars that Cora would go to the Sox, but if the Yankees lose to the Indians, would they still fire Girardi? Would they hire someone other than Boone? If the Yankees go to the World Series or, (god help us) win it, what ramifications would that have? The Red Sox were a monster team in 2018, and there need to be further considerations about how much they were aided by sign-stealing. If it wasn't too major a factor, they'd likely still win 104+ games and the fall classic. If it was as big a deal as some have made it, could they fall in the playoffs to the Astros, could the Indians go three-peat as AL Pennant winners? Maybe the Dodgers go all the way and win it.

What I'm saying is the Astros are a very talented team, but their cheating is a major question mark, even after all of the investigations and inquiries. The most likely answer is that, if they didn't cheat in 2017 (or beyond) they'd probably still make it to the World Series at some point in this four-year span, and they might still win it. They are just too talented not to. The effects are unquestionable, though. Alex Cora to the Red Sox is a powerful consequence of their success, as is Aaron Boone's rise to the command of the Bronx Bombers. Even looking to the future, the Tigers with Hinch could end up as contenders in two-to-three years, and the Red Sox are surging as of the time of writing. Carlos Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well), and he would have fewer obstacles when he tries to make his case for Cooperstown in the next few years. But, ultimately, there is something we should all remember; Aaron Judge was terrible in the playoffs.
As a Diamondbacks fan, I didn't really care about the scandal, just thought I'd get some interesting responses. I wanted Houston to win, since the Dodgers are our rivals and knocked us out that year, but if I knew Houston cheated, I probably would not have watched. I think without the cheating, LA would have won it all for sure. 2018 is interesting, but I think the Red Sox still beat the Dodgers that year. I like your replay though Calcaterra.

Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well),
He would be better than Rojas, don't lie to ourselves in that regard.
with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS)
Nope, Yankees outplayed the Indians when they got them on the edge of elimination, even chaos theory can't change that massive collapse. if anything Cleveland windows was shut hard in 2016.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost.
I add a better butterfly, they beat the Royals in 15, who win ALCS? I Dunno is 50-50 As bluejays rallied hard to beat the Rangers so could be a toss-up, regardless of who wins 2015 WS , without the trauma of that elimination that might kill cheating in their cradle

Last edited: