Sports What Ifs.

There was a lot of smoke in 2017 around Payton's interest in Mahomes, enough to compel Andy Reid to trade up.

Speaking of which, what happens if Reid doesn't trade up and Payton does take Mahomes? If Mahomes becomes the starter after one year like he did in KC, where does Brees end up?
A long way down I-10? (Arizona).

Here's a WI: WI no Music City Miracle by the Titans in the 1999-2000 NFL playoffs? Remember, the Jacksonville Jaguars that year were 14-2 in the regular season...and both of those losses came against the Tennessee Titans, who beat them in the AFC title game that year to go on to the Super Bowl.

The Jaguars reaching a Super Bowl five seasons after they started would be pretty damn impressive, IMO. Now, it's another matter whether they beat The Greatest Show On Turf (aka the St. Louis Rams)...

The Jaguars reaching a Super Bowl five seasons after they started would be pretty damn impressive, IMO. Now, it's another matter whether they beat The Greatest Show On Turf (aka the St. Louis Rams)...
let's say the end up the yard short..would fisher end up fired early?

What if the 49ers took rodgers with the #1 pick? how far would alex smith fall?
Right off the bat, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could use a new face at QB with the 5th overall pick, being solid enough to go over Griese and McCown. Should Gruden pass, the QB-searching Redskins could consider him needed enough to pass on CB Carlos Rodgers and take him there. Much as it would probably help him in the long term, the idea of Smith being the Green Bay QB would be too unlikely IMHO without some form of a trade and the Chiefs, while potentially getting him sooner, don't look like they're going to choose him over LB Derrick Johnson. If I could find the absolute lowest, realistic or not, there COULD be Smith joining the Minnesota Vikings at #18, but even then that would depend on a host of factors.

Right off the bat, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could use a new face at QB with the 5th overall pick, being solid enough to go over Griese and McCown. Should Gruden pass, the QB-searching Redskins could consider him needed enough to pass on CB Carlos Rodgers and take him there. Much as it would probably help him in the long term, the idea of Smith being the Green Bay QB would be too unlikely IMHO without some form of a trade and the Chiefs, while potentially getting him sooner, don't look like they're going to choose him over LB Derrick Johnson. If I could find the absolute lowest, realistic or not, there COULD be Smith joining the Minnesota Vikings at #18, but even then that would depend on a host of factors.
According to Walter Football's archives, Cleveland (picking third overall) had Alex Smith rated ahead of Braylon Edwards. So, it looks like Smith would have went to the Factory of Sadness in this world.

As for the next couple picks, I see four through six staying the same (Benson to Chicago, Cadillac to Tampa, Pac Man to Tennessee). At seven, though, the Vikes would have to take Braylon Edwards over Dropamson since he falls in their lap.

Last edited:
According to Walter Football's archives, Cleveland (picking third overall) had Alex Smith rated ahead of Braylon Edwards. So, it looks like Smith would have went to the Factory of Sadness in this world.
If Smith can be given the pieces and get some support, this could put the Browns in the playoffs in 2007, if Crennel plays it right.

If Smith can be given the pieces and get some support, this could put the Browns in the playoffs in 2007, if Crennel plays it right.
That is the year they got Joe Thomas, helping smith a lot too, Yeah that is the do or die and i can see Alex pulling it, would be amazing