Sports What Ifs.

Portland, already a big metro area and just have the trailblazers. Other could be a team in Canada too...
Portland is a possible natural rival for the Seahawks and both NoCal teams. If the Seahawks stay in the AFC, Portland could be wedged right between the Seahawks and Raiders in the AFC West, possibly creating a 3-way rivalry (Davis may still fuck it up by moving the team anyway but that’s neither here nor there.) For that matter, any Houston expansion team goes to the AFC, so Portland may have to go NFC and be a rival to the 49ers.

Portland is a possible natural rival for the Seahawks and both NoCal teams. If the Seahawks stay in the AFC, Portland could be wedged right between the Seahawks and Raiders in the AFC West, possibly creating a 3-way rivalry (Davis may still fuck it up by moving the team anyway but that’s neither here nor there.) For that matter, any Houston expansion team goes to the AFC, so Portland may have to go NFC and be a rival to the 49ers.
We will see realigment later on, still that is the most natural city.

Here’s an outside shot for you.

Former Ohio State QB, and short-lived NFL hack, Art Schlichter got started with gambling, the vice that ruined his life, in high school when he and some friends went to a racetrack outside Columbus, Ohio and bet on a horse. Their horse won, and Schlichter was a regular at the track in college and eventually got himself incarcerated multiple times for stealing from others to gamble.

Now let’s say his horse had lost and Schlichter decided gambling was lame and never took it up. He sees it as, in the words of my brother, “flushing money down the toilet.”

I have no illusions that he wouldn’t have another vice, and possibly one that kills him instead of getting him locked up (alcohol and drugs come to mind) or maybe one that allows a good playing career but brings him down later (women) or one that makes him a laughingstock (food.) Or maybe that Vice would be downplayed for him - or maybe it would be beatable.

Here’s an outside shot for you.

Former Ohio State QB, and short-lived NFL hack, Art Schlichter got started with gambling, the vice that ruined his life, in high school when he and some friends went to a racetrack outside Columbus, Ohio and bet on a horse. Their horse won, and Schlichter was a regular at the track in college and eventually got himself incarcerated multiple times for stealing from others to gamble.

Now let’s say his horse had lost and Schlichter decided gambling was lame and never took it up. He sees it as, in the words of my brother, “flushing money down the toilet.”

I have no illusions that he wouldn’t have another vice, and possibly one that kills him instead of getting him locked up (alcohol and drugs come to mind) or maybe one that allows a good playing career but brings him down later (women) or one that makes him a laughingstock (food.) Or maybe that Vice would be downplayed for him - or maybe it would be beatable.
Even if he didn't have another vice, I'm not sure that he was that great of a QB to begin with. The Colts drafted him too high. Maybe he has an OK career as a backup and part-time starter, but I don't think he was destined to be a star.

Even if he didn't have another vice, I'm not sure that he was that great of a QB to begin with. The Colts drafted him too high. Maybe he has an OK career as a backup and part-time starter, but I don't think he was destined to be a star.
He doesn’t have to be. He was drafted by the Colts in 1982, so all he has to do is be good enough for one year to make the Colts either draft lower than number one or pass on Elway. That or they demand more for Elway from a team like Denver than what they could get with their hand forced.

He doesn’t have to be. He was drafted by the Colts in 1982, so all he has to do is be good enough for one year to make the Colts either draft lower than number one or pass on Elway. That or they demand more for Elway from a team like Denver than what they could get with their hand forced.
OK. If he was just good enough that the Colts win two games, the Oilers get the #1 pick, and get Elway. Then, Ernie Accorsi drafts Marino, more than likely.

OK. If he was just good enough that the Colts win two games, the Oilers get the #1 pick, and get Elway. Then, Ernie Accorsi drafts Marino, more than likely.
I don’t see a reason Elway would have objected to going to Houston. And even if Marino wasn’t a big fan of being a Colt, he didn’t have the same leverage Elway had - Elway threatened time play baseball instead. Marino couldn’t do that.

I don’t see a reason Elway would have objected to going to Houston. And even if Marino wasn’t a big fan of being a Colt, he didn’t have the same leverage Elway had - Elway threatened time play baseball instead. Marino couldn’t do that.
Elway would love Houston, near Cal than baltimore and not the shitshow the colts were, or maybe al davis pull the trade for him as he wanted?

Marino Would love Colts too, he wanted to be #1 but failed

I was watching the NFL on NBC pregame from October 6, 1996:

When watching, I found out something very interesting: The Falcons and Seahawks were talking about trading Jeff George to Seattle for Rick Mirer.

Also, the 49ers wanted Mirer bad in the 1993 draft. They offered NE Steve Young for the #1 pick, and they balked. Then, they offered their whole draft to the Pats for the pick, and they balked again.

Also, the 49ers wanted Mirer bad in the 1993 draft. They offered NE Steve Young for the #1 pick, and they balked. Then, they offered their whole draft to the Pats for the pick, and they balked again.
The full ditka before ditka...let's say they took Young and a 1st next year and other pick. They took Mirer, seahwaks took bledsoe....damn everything changes

The full ditka before ditka...let's say they took Young and a 1st next year and other pick. They took Mirer, seahwaks took bledsoe....damn everything changes
Let's say the 49ers and Pats agreed on a happy medium: Steve Young, 1993 first-round pick, 1993 third-rounder, & a 1993 fifth-rounder go to NE, and the 93 #1 overall pick goes to the 49ers (who take Mirer). First off, that means that Montana probably stays with SF for a few more years while they groom Mirer. So, no run to the 93 AFC Title Game for KC.

I'm also not sure if the 49ers win the 94 SB with Montana, or if they have much of a future with Mirer. That could have been looked at as one of the worst trades in NFL history.

Also, with Bledsoe in Seattle, and Young in NE, you probably don't see the Belichick-Brady era :).

Also, with Bledsoe in Seattle, and Young in NE, you probably don't see the Belichick-Brady era :).
That is why i say that change everything. The rest yeah, 49ers dodge a bullet but give us the pats empire. Well still wonder what other thing would have unfolded that

That is why i say that change everything. The rest yeah, 49ers dodge a bullet but give us the pats empire. Well still wonder what other thing would have unfolded that
Well, let's see from that....

SF has a mediocre QB whom could give them high-drafting come 1997 (worse they could do is Jake Plummer) or 1998. I wonder if this could convince Manning to forego his senior season if it meant San Francisco could draft him (or them getting Ryan Leaf).

New England has a Hall of Fame QB that could help a Hall of Fame HC in establishing the Pats dynasty early on. Otherwise, it could fall to Pete Carroll (meaning no USC run).

Seattle have a decently good QB that could help them over the hump in 2005.

The possibilities...

I was wondering, the current rules of association football and rugby were shaped by well to do people with a lot of free time on their hands, and not anyone from the working class of Great Britain; so, what would've been the impact of industrial workers in the Home Nations obtaining the 8-hour work day in the mid to late 19th century? Since the average worker would have to go back to work the day after a match, the football/rugby divide could've been less about hand usage and forward passing, and more about the amount of contact allowed.

So, workers' football (the variant that could've accepted professionalism more readily) could've had handball-like rules about physical contact, but the ball could've been handled as well as kicked, for both passing and scoring, and there would've been goals and tries, with a goal being worth 5 points and a try being worth 1 point.

SF has a mediocre QB whom could give them high-drafting come 1997 (worse they could do is Jake Plummer) or 1998. I wonder if this could convince Manning to forego his senior season if it meant San Francisco could draft him (or them getting Ryan Leaf).
That is if they get the #1 pick at all or trade enough for it. Jake Plummer...
Well they could get into their pre-alex smith desolation early..maybe they draft brees?

New England has a Hall of Fame QB that could help a Hall of Fame HC in establishing the Pats dynasty early on. Otherwise, it could fall to Pete Carroll (meaning no USC run).
Or we goes from Parcell to Caroll..meaning Bellichick would land anywhere else(stay with the jets? goes back to new browns?)

Could made them competitive early and butterfly away hasselback career.

Yeah that is a complete sandbox

Well they could get into their pre-alex smith desolation early..maybe they draft brees?
The only acceptable universe for a non-Saints Brees is if, somehow, we drafted Brady over Bulger x'D

Or we goes from Parcell to Caroll..meaning Bellichick would land anywhere else(stay with the jets? goes back to new browns?)
Again, I would make it contingent on if Manning goes early. Manning in '97 I could see Belichick staying around and trying to prolong Peyton to the best he can. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Lerner gave a similar deal to Bill and draft a team; maybe Kurt Warner in the expansion draft and, a la Dawg Pound, trading the #1 pick for a slew (I wonder if Ditka would be stupid enough to pull the offer for the Bengals to the Browns instead for Ricky). I doubt that, without a solid QB, Belichick was going to serve under even a GM Parcells for the Jets.

Depending on what Carroll does for Young, what would be the likely year that a new QB is drafted? Perhaps picking up Eli in 2004?

If George would be there that long, which he may or may not be (he would be 37 by then).

Let's say that Jeff decides to accept that trade instead of hold out for FA (like the video said). After looking at the 96 Seahawk schedule, he would have had an extra bye week to learn the Seahawk offense. However, they probably stick with John Friesz for five weeks after the bye (he lost to KC, won three in a row, and then lost to Detroit in Week 12). In Week 13, with Seattle at 5-7, George makes his debut against the Raiders. They lost that game in OTL with Mirer, but with George, they win to up their record to 6-7 (still in the playoff race).

In Week 14, though, they end up running into an Orange and Blue buzzsaw. George makes it closer, but the Broncos still win and wrap up home field. After that, they win two of their last three games and end up 8-8.

In the off-season, George probably decides to stay since they seemed to be making a committment to winning (they wouldn't have that extra first-rounder from the Mirer trade, but they still trade up with Tampa to get LT Walter Jones). Besides Jones, they bring in DT Dan Saleamua, LB Chad Brown, and DB Willie Williams (they don't need to sign Moon in this world, though). They also draft RB Corey Dillon in Round 2 (Chris Warren is going into his FA year), LSU CB Denard Walker in Round 3 (they don't get Shawn Springs in this world, and they need more DB help), and So. Carolina WR Marcus Robinson in Round 4 (Brian Blades is 32 and on the decline).

In OTL, they were 8-8, but they lost several close games, including both games against the division-winning Chiefs and one against the eventual World Champion Broncos. They also lost to a bad Saint team in OT. With George at QB and Dillon at RB (who gradually replaces Chris Warren as the year goes on), they win 10-11 games, make the playoffs, and really shake up the AFC playoff picture depending on which games they win. They probably also make the playoffs in 98, and Dennis Erickson doesn't go to Oregon State in 1999 (and discover Ocho Cinco).

Now that I think about it, if Brees is drafted as an effect of the Mirer trade, then I could see a question as to 2005.

The Niners, with a prospectively improving team, wouldn't take the #1 seed and, with a solid QB, it isn't guaranteed that the Bay Area SoCal kid would go to his home team. So, with the Fins having the #1 overall, they could go for Alex Smith as the safe pick (or trade with KC) or take the mobile Marino. Unless Rodgers somehow fell far enough as OTL.

Then again, with no incentive on the Niners, could Rogers wait a year instead?