Sports What Ifs.

The Steelers have always been at the very least a decent team since the merger. They've never gone more than 4 years between playoff wins and have only finished with less than 6 wins once since 1970. There's a reason that Chuck Noll lasted into the 90's.

Honestly you probably don't have very far into the future to see the effects of Marino going to the Steelers. Marino actually faced Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game for the 1984 season, you better believe that the Steelers team is going to be a lot better with 5,000 yard Marino instead of Mark Malone under center. I still don't Pittsburgh gets past the buzzsaw of the 49ers, but that's still a vast performance of what the Steelers did OTL. But I guess there's a question of if Marino would have been allowed to be unleashed like he was with Don Shula. If Noll isn't willing to stray away from the traditional pound the rock culture of the team, then I'm not sure how large of an improvement Marino would provide
Oh, Marino would provide a good improvement. In OTL, the Steelers had Mark Malone in the 80's, who was terrible. Even if he isn't competely unleashed, he still does way better than Malone did.

Oh, Marino would provide a good improvement. In OTL, the Steelers had Mark Malone in the 80's, who was terrible. Even if he isn't competely unleashed, he still does way better than Malone did.
Bear in mind the AFC in the 80s wasn’t great - there’s a reason the NFC ripped off a bunch of Super Bowl wins in a row. So there’s a possibility that Marino helps the Steelers get over the hump once or twice, but don’t count on a win in the Big One.

Bear in mind the AFC in the 80s wasn’t great - there’s a reason the NFC ripped off a bunch of Super Bowl wins in a row. So there’s a possibility that Marino helps the Steelers get over the hump once or twice, but don’t count on a win in the Big One.
Marino on the 84 Steelers could have defeated the 49ers, who I consider overrated. Now, if they made it back against the Bears the next year, they may have had less of a chance. The Steelers didn't play Chicago until 1986 (they did give them a good game), so they don't get the confidence-building win that Miami got.

Marino on the 84 Steelers could have defeated the 49ers, who I consider overrated. Now, if they made it back against the Bears the next year, they may have had less of a chance. The Steelers didn't play Chicago until 1986 (they did give them a good game), so they don't get the confidence-building win that Miami got.
I mean, judging from how Marino played against the 85 Bears OTL, they might have a better chance than they would against the 49ers.

I mean, judging from how Marino played against the 85 Bears OTL, they might have a better chance than they would against the 49ers.
Yeah, but you have to remember that the Steelers beat the 49ers. In 1984. With Mark Freaking Malone at QB. In San Francisco. Marino with a more balanced offense and a better D on his side (even though the 84 Steelers weren't that great of a team, they still had a better run game and D than Miami had that year) could do it if Malone could.

ESPN has on their website the top 150 coaches of all-time in college football. This gives quite a few good what ifs. I'll list one due to time limit.

What if Knute Rockne isn't killed in that plane crash? Presuming he has 20 more years, which is possible, and even more is but let's just give him 20, that keeps Frank Leahy at Boston College. Does he stay at that Catholic school where he did so well? He had recently signed a contract extension before Notre Dame became available, so my guess is that Boston College becomes a big force in the late forties. Perhaps a rivalry develops with Notre Dame that didn't in our timeline.

Does it become a Powerhouse enough that some other Catholic coach decides to rebuild it when it falls on Hard Times? Might there be a conference that develops with it and some other Eastern schools? Maybe a Big East in the 1950s? If so, what does the addition of another major conference due to college football? Maybe Syracuse wines up dominating that conference then after Leahy retires and then to the sixties. Perhaps Penn State never going to the Big Ten but is in that Big East and the compromise made with all the other schools is that they will never tie themselves to one Bowl.

What if Seminoles QB and Heisman winner Chris Weinke stuck to baseball instead of going back to FSU to play football? He was a step away from making it to the majors with the Blue Jays in OTL, but in 1996, he decided to go to Tallahassee and play on his scholarship that Bobby Bowden promised he could keep should he decide to play football.

EDIT: Added more info

What if Seminoles QB and Heisman winner Chris Weinke stuck to baseball instead of going back to FSU to play football? He was a step away from making it to the majors with the Blue Jays in OTL.
Umm dunno possible he could be a decent journeyman in baseball?

ESPN has on their website the top 150 coaches of all-time in college football. This gives quite a few good what ifs. I'll list one due to time limit.

What if Knute Rockne isn't killed in that plane crash? Presuming he has 20 more years, which is possible, and even more is but let's just give him 20, that keeps Frank Leahy at Boston College. Does he stay at that Catholic school where he did so well? He had recently signed a contract extension before Notre Dame became available, so my guess is that Boston College becomes a big force in the late forties. Perhaps a rivalry develops with Notre Dame that didn't in our timeline.

Does it become a Powerhouse enough that some other Catholic coach decides to rebuild it when it falls on Hard Times? Might there be a conference that develops with it and some other Eastern schools? Maybe a Big East in the 1950s? If so, what does the addition of another major conference due to college football? Maybe Syracuse wines up dominating that conference then after Leahy retires and then to the sixties. Perhaps Penn State never going to the Big Ten but is in that Big East and the compromise made with all the other schools is that they will never tie themselves to one Bowl.
I like the idea. That suggests that in the late '30s onward, Notre Dame would have multiple rivalry games in a season: back then, Navy was one such game; so was Penn (yes, the one that's now an Ivy League fixture). Throw in a Notre Dame / Boston College rivalry and that could get fascinating, especially in the Catholic community (said mostly tongue in cheek).

Seems like a heavy hitter in the form of Boston College could lead to a true eastern conference (BC; Syracuse; Rutgers; Temple; Pitt; Penn State; West Virginia; maybe Virginia Tech, Maryland, Cincinnati).

And yes, I know this is a departure from the topic, but if that plane crash hadn't claimed Will Rogers as well, imagine what he could have done for comedy and US politics well into the 1940s and early 1950s...I don't think Joe McCarthy would have gotten nearly to the point he did with Will Rogers watching and commenting.

I like the idea. That suggests that in the late '30s onward, Notre Dame would have multiple rivalry games in a season: back then, Navy was one such game; so was Penn (yes, the one that's now an Ivy League fixture). Throw in a Notre Dame / Boston College rivalry and that could get fascinating, especially in the Catholic community (said mostly tongue in cheek).

Seems like a heavy hitter in the form of Boston College could lead to a true eastern conference (BC; Syracuse; Rutgers; Temple; Pitt; Penn State; West Virginia; maybe Virginia Tech, Maryland, Cincinnati).
I wonder if the earlier appearance of an all sports Big East would cause the Metro Conference to get into football and be able to keep schools like GA Tech, Florida State and South Carolina onside?

A thought occured to me when looking at Andrew Luck.

If Luck, be it by some sheer luck or by just foresight, decided against extending his contract with the Colts, where would he be a solid fit in free agency? Who would be the team desperate enough to give him a huge contract for the 2017 season?

NOTE: He did have a four-year $22.1M contract he signed in July 2012 when drafted and, unless my math is off, would be looking at leaving the Colts had he not made an extension in June 2016

A thought occured to me when looking at Andrew Luck.

If Luck, be it by some sheer luck or by just foresight, decided against extending his contract with the Colts, where would he be a solid fit in free agency? Who would be the team desperate enough to give him a huge contract for the 2017 season?

NOTE: He did have a four-year $22.1M contract he signed in July 2012 when drafted and, unless my math is off, would be looking at leaving the Colts had he not made an extension in June 2016
Jets, Dolphins, the question is who wasn't offer him? but we need to organize pretenders(i would say cardinals but we would kill luck too)

Jets, Dolphins, the question is who wasn't offer him? but we need to organize pretenders(i would say cardinals but we would kill luck too)
I mean, off the top of my head, the teams I can think of are as follows:

• Jets
  • Vikings (Teddy's injury in training camp)
  • 49ers (notably after Kaepernick's release if OTL occurs)
  • Dolphins
  • Broncos (Peyton retired)
  • Bills
  • Browns
  • Ravens (at this time, pre-Lamar)
  • Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)
  • Chiefs (at this time, pre-Mahomes)
  • Bears (at this time, pre-Trubisky)

Broncos (Peyton retired)
Would be hilarous and sad-bad for colts, other franchise qb to colts.

• Vikings (Teddy's injury in training camp)
A winner

• Ravens (at this time, pre-Lamar)
Flacco

Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)
We've a winner and he is far better osweiler, could be the spoiler need to beat pats and play the SB in their own home.

• Chiefs (at this time, pre-Mahomes)
Smith have been serviceable

ears (at this time, pre-Trubisky)
we've another winner

Would be hilarous and sad-bad for colts, other franchise qb to colts.
If Luck goes to Broncos, that would have been sweet. The Broncos probably repeat in 2016 since they still had a great defense. Don't know what happens after, though, since Kubiak still retires, and Elway hired that incompetent clown Joseph (along with Wade Phillips going to LA).

Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)
Houston Texans: 2016 World Champs.

If Luck goes to Broncos, that would have been sweet. The Broncos probably repeat in 2016 since they still had a great defense. Don't know what happens after, though, since Kubiak still retires, and Elway hired that incompetent clown Joseph (along with Wade Phillips going to LA).
As long they keep the OL even if a sacrifice have to be done...Luck will be fine, even with elway, broncos always are half competent, they were competitive with Jake Plummer...

Houston Texans: 2016 World Champs.
Yeah, Osweiler was a fucking cancer allowed browns got two draft pick of the texans

As long they keep the OL even if a sacrifice have to be done...Luck will be fine, even with elway, broncos always are half competent, they were competitive with Jake Plummer...
That's the thing: The O-line wasn't great in 17. Elway drafted LT Garret Bolles, who isn't that good. He also signed crappy RT Menelik Watson from the Raiders, and let G Michael Schofield go instead of G Max Garcia (he should have traded for Veldheer a year earlier).

WI the Astros drafted Derek Jeter in 1992 with the #1 pick? One of their scouts (Hal Newhouser, IIRC) resigned because he'd recommended Jeter and the Astros passed on him; he commented that the Astros were passing up a chance to go to the World Series...

Maybe they're less skittish about what Jeter wants as a signing bonus ITTL (they feared IOTL that he'd insist on a signing bonus of $1 million--the Yankees had no such worries, given that they were the richest franchise in baseball)...

That's the thing: The O-line wasn't great in 17. Elway drafted LT Garret Bolles, who isn't that good. He also signed crappy RT Menelik Watson from the Raiders, and let G Michael Schofield go instead of G Max Garcia (he should have traded for Veldheer a year earlier).
OUCH for luck, but again a better year he might avoid the worst hit of otl 16 and other ailments were mistreated by the colts, so that might be a bad year but still better OTL.

A shame the Colts what they do with LUCK. Not even Rosen got it that bad