Sports What Ifs.

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Dave, Nov 7, 2006.

1. AltSptHst Well-Known Member

If Belichick would have been at Miami, the QB would probably have been Brees (Brady still is drafted by NE because Bobby Grier drafted him, but without Belichick, Ernie Adams, and their spy equipment, he only lasts a few seasons), unless they decide to take a chance on an undrafted FA in 2003 by the name of Tony Romo.

Ace Venom likes this.
  2. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

I think the dolphins might have landed Brees too if BB like him enough, Brady might have to work with caroll or frank beamer(there was a rumour he was plan b have BB have stayed with the jets) in new england instead? your two cents @Colonel Zoidberg ? is him or wait till 2004 for one of the big three(or matt schaub)

3. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Brady vs Brees. Hmm, great idea and would have been awesome for the year-in-year-out battles for the East. Carroll would never have worked with Brady as we know him, though; Brady is wound too tight for a loosened-up guy like Carroll (I read about how he does all sorts of different things like yoga to help the Seahawks; it was part and parcel of the Dolphins when I wrote Cool Brees and Chill as a counterpart to the uptight Patriots.

Of course, Belichick-Brees versus Carroll-Brady would be interesting - each with a firebrand and a more relaxed character.

Nivek likes this.
  4. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Yeah that would be interesting, unique and a contrasct each team...lets say JJ got bellichik, with him rather the disaster against jacksonville is a more subdue loss, but a loss, so bellichick and later brees enter the stage...them what?

5. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Yeah, that Jags team was incredible, but also the team might have been better and drawn Tennessee in the opening game. They win, the Bills beat Seattle, and the Dolphins go to Indy instead of Jacksonville. Marino plays OK, the defense holds together, and the Dolphins get the upset, heading to Jacksonville where they...lose a mostly defensive battle, something like 21-10.

The wrinkle? Marino comes back in 2000. That season had the potential to be magic. Imagine if Marino goes out on top in 2000 and the Dolphins draft Brees in 2001 - holy shit do we have an awesome team. By now, the Pats and Dolphins would probably share about 6-7 more titles rather than the Pats dominating, and expect to hear the name Drew Bleeping Brees a lot.

Nivek likes this.
  6. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

The better timeline and the brady-brees duel will be epic. now...Chargers/Saints? Either Chargers got vick or just take a placeholder/keep flutie till get palmer or romo? maybe got ben or rivers as OTL? Saints? i would like the idea of Rodgers or if cards pick rodgers...a reborning kurt warner?

7. AndyWho Well-Known Member

Thanks to the collab timeline, I'm Going to Disneyworld, I am wondering (ASB if need be) if the AFL chose to instead merge with the CFL to establish the North American Football League

8. docfl dazed and confused

I would be interesting I wonder if they would still play on 110 yard field

Nivek likes this.
  9. Jim Smitty Lost in my mind

Here is one, what if the NFL maintained a 12 round draft like they had till 91?

FickleCrossroad likes this.
  10. AltSptHst Well-Known Member

I don't know if the Pats would be that great in this world. It depends on how Dom Capers does as their HC (Kraft was ready to hire him before he was able to agree with the Jets on compensation for Belichick). They may have Brady (outgoing personnel man Bobby Grier drafted him), but he's a product of the Belichick-Ernie Adams cheating system to a fair degree, and he may not get as much of a chance with Capers as coach.

Side note: Allegedly, the Pats also wanted to interview Rams OC Mike Martz that off-season as well. However, the Rams said that he would be the guaranteed successor to Vermeil for the HC job if he didn't take the interview. He agreed. Vermeil got upset at the Rams for doing that, he resigned, and Martz took over.

11. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Depends, more undrafted guys would get a chance? after that not much different.

Umm nice points-. @Colonel Zoidberg your two cents on it?

12. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Hmmm, not sure but if Capers’ hand is forced (which Belichick’s kind of was) then the Tom Brady era starts anyway. Capers is certainly a capable coach but is a defensive guy and would need to delegate offense. So Brady’s success may hinge on an excellent OC who’s happy being an OC and doesn’t jump to being a head coach for the first shitty team that throws money at him. Those are few and far between, and the best they could hope for is a guy like Josh McDaniels who strikes out as a head coach and goes back to being Brady’s OC.

13. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Another WI: WI Joe Montana avoids that hit in the 1990 NFC Championship that effectively destroyed his career and meant that his next start would be in 1993 with the Chiefs?

Start with assuming that he gets rid of the ball for an incomplete pass on that play, the 49ers punt, and Montana remains healthy into the 1991 season regardless of the outcome of the NFC Championship that season.

14. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Steve young to the chiefs them?

15. Jim Smitty Lost in my mind

The question that comes to mind how much more gas those Montana still have in the tank and how long would the Niners be willing to sit on Young.

16. Ace Venom Well-Known Member

On April 16, 2000, the New Orleans Saints used the 168th draft pick (6th round) on quarterback Marc Bulger. Marc Bulger spent training camp with the Saints, but he was ultimately waived by the team. What if it happened differently?

Alternate timeline: The Saints do draft a quarterback in the sixth round, but a different one. They instead use the 168th draft pick to select Tom Brady. Unlike with Marc Bulger, Tom Brady works out in training camp for the Saints. The initial butterflies are that the Saints don't have to trade their third round draft pick in 2001 to Green Bay for Aaron Brooks and Lamont Hall. Tom Brady is installed as the second string quarterback to Jeff Blake. Like clockwork, Jeff Blake still gets a broken foot during the 11th game of the season. The Tom Brady era begins.

AndyWho likes this.
  17. Jim Smitty Lost in my mind

Honestly IMO it took a highly unlikely string of events and forces to create Brady in New England. Anywhere else he most likely is just a back up for a few years before he is out of the league.

AltSptHst likes this.
  18. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

If they get Sean Payton Early, Brady could work..or Brady could become the next Rich Gannon and found sucess...in new england when bledsoe retires...think about it

Hey plus brady beat bledsoe in training camp or bledsoe was awful all along and only got lucky with parcell?

19. Ace Venom Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily saying instant Hall of Famer or Super Bowl Run here after Brady takes over, but it's not a stretch to say Brady could have worked out better than Brooks in the short term. Consider the 2002 season, a year when the Saints actually swept the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the regular season. A playoff run wasn't out of the question before the second half of the season implosion. It certainly presents some interesting butterflies with different draft picks and what happens before or after the Katrina season.

AndyWho likes this.
  20. AltSptHst Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Early this morning, I was watching the Brady 6 on NFL Network.

It came to the part where the Browns chose Spergon Wynn from North Texas Central St (or wherever. He transferred from Minnesota) in Round 6 over Brady despite having a 47% completion rate.

The Browns made a mistake, but they did Brady a colossal favor when they passed on him.

He wouldn't have turned the Browns around (like a lot of people think). As his scouting report said, he isn't for everyone, but he would be fine in the right system. That system was New England's.