Sports What Ifs.

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Dave, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Probably the Cotton Bowl for a while and then a stadium like Texas Stadium. After that, maybe a Jerry-world equivalent if the Dallas Cardinals are that popular.

Also, if the AFL never comes to fruition and the WFL doesn’t get its shit together, the obvious merger is the USFL and it happens in the early 90s and is monumentous. I picture an NFL with 20 teams because sooner or later they’ll get up there - I picture the entire current NFC minus AZ and Carolina, add the Browns, Steelers and Colts, add the Dolphins and Bengals, and for good measure add a team in San Diego.

Then we add USFL teams. Later. I’m tired.

Nivek likes this.
  2. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

specially how tv market will be, with smaller NFL that will be growing, if there a stike equivalent and the USFL capitalize it would be enormous, not even strike. If ESPN support the USFL would be enought give exposure and synergy...maybe turner got a USFL franchise and use tbs for that advantage? there a lot of options.

a shame, they got several otl market plus the idea of an hawaian NFL franchise would be something if survive and merge

3. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Question if canton team survives why the bengals? ohio would have three times just in time when their population start to decline... maybe not give paul brown the second new york team or a franchise elsewhere?

4. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

People in Cincinnati are still a few hours’ drive away from Canton or Cleveland. I’m from Ohio - Cincy doesn’t have much in common with northern Ohio. It makes about as much sense as denying the Twin Cities a team because the Bears and Packers are a thing or blocking Art Modell from moving the Browns to Baltimore because they’re in DC and Carolina’s backyard.

5. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

IIRC Cooke was not happy with ravens but again you lived there so might knew better about that so bengals might exist like OTL

6. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

Yeah, they would kick up a fuss, but Canton isn’t much different from Cleveland so it wouldn’t end up making a whole heap of difference. Frankly the Bulldogs would be more likely to be upset about the Cleveland Browns (or Rams as it was) than for them to be too cheesed off about an AFL franchise.

7. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

What is the ceiling for the WFL? Assuming it’s to force a merger with the NFL, how many teams and rules can it get ported over to the NFL and when?

Nivek likes this.
  8. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Would be, OTL they were to take advantage of the Strike threat and thrive, the thing is almost all rules were adopted by the NFL, the most Unique was college one foot rule and canadian motion ( ie unlimited backfield move and no fair catches)

The most Unique thing was the Hawaii team and the pants

9. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

If it could get its finances in order, the WFL’s realistic best outcome is a merger like the ABA or WHA - four teams. The Hawaiians are an obvious choice (though I imagine they have to change their name.) Same with Memphis and Jacksonville, and after that...Portland?

Nivek likes this.
  10. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

The Birmingham team was one of the more sucessful but would be too much team in the South...or them over Carolina hornets?

11. docfl dazed and confused

Problem is transportation to and from Hawaii would cost too much

12. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

Not much a fly from NY to west coast and viceversa, plus having a team would help to fly them regullary, i think even players would like if the games end near their bye week.

13. OldNavy1988 Well-Known Member

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but...

If the Lakers stay in Minnesota and LA gets an expansion team, what would the team be called?

14. ejpsan Well-Known Member

The obvious choice would be the Stars, other names could be Gauchos, Rancheros, Amigos, Quakes, and Diablos.

15. Corjomc Well-Known Member

L.A. Heat?

16. DougM Well-Known Member

You wanted the greatest sports what if? (By Great I mean least likely to EVER happen)

What if the Detroit Lions... Got to the SuperBowl?

I didn’t say win because I figured that is pretty much ASB...

The Detroit Lions, Rebuilding for 62 years...

UCB79 likes this.
  17. Jim Smitty Lost in my mind

Detroit got gifted a true generation talent in Barry Sanders. Not using him to his fullest is the greatest mistake of the Lions.

18. AltSptHst Well-Known Member

I would have to say stars, but I think the Warriors would have moved there instead of the Bay Area if it was open. Then, it would have been SF with the expansion team.

Two more good names for LA teams: Directors and Producers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    UCB79 and ejpsan like this.
  19. AltSptHst Well-Known Member

Last night, when I was watching the 30 for 30 episode called The Two Bills (about Belichick and Parcells), I learned that Jimmy Johnson offered Belichick the DC job with the Dolphins in 1996 before he decided to go to New England to work again with Parcells.

After seeing that part, it occurred to me that Bill may have been the one to replace Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins in 2000 as HC instead of Dave Wannstedt. Imagine how different the NFL would have been with Belichick in Miami for several years instead of New England.

20. Colonel Zoidberg Well-Known Member

You mean...I could be an insufferable asshole with six more rings to my team’s collection and treat “Brady/Brees/whoever is the GOAT” as indisputable fact rather than bullshit opinion instead of those dipshit Pats fans if only Jimmy J could have been more persuasive than a heaping pile of elephant dung? (Or Parcells could hang around as Dolphins GM and bring Darth Hoodie there instead?)

Hmmm...my eternal soul as a football fan for six rings?

Wait - if the Fins botched the ‘07 perfect season, I might have shot myself.

Seriously, did you just think “I wonder how I can ruin that poor bastard Zoidberg’s day?” when you posted this?

I need a fucking drink.