[spoilers]Pop-Culture WI: Impact on Halo if Cortana was the Villain the Whole Time

Originally Cortana was supposed to be the villain in the first trilogy rather than in the second, but Bungie dropped the idea. The implication is that Cortana fills the role that 343 Guilty Spark filled in the first trilogy. If Cortana replaced 343 guilty spark, what would the implications be for the trilogy as a whole?

Maybe the idea is that she guides John through the libary, tries to activate Halo mission 8 so John turns against her, is seen to live on in the post-credit scene after the Maw, and gets killed by the Spartan Laser in Halo 3, or something like that.

What would the impact be on Halo and possibily the rest of gaming culture as well? I'm saying that because maybe it could have an impact on "evil female ai character" that we maybe traditionally associate with SHODAN or GLaDoS.

Would there even be a second trilogy assuming 343 industry picks it up? If so who would be the villain, would the Dialect be built up instead of dying in Halo 4?

One thing I could see is maybe lack of MC/Cortana shippers and bad fanfic writers but I don't know about anything else.

Last edited: