Speculative Jorgen Jorgensen TL: "The Dog-Days King"

Earlier this month, I posted the opening of a TL I was considering writing in full, about a POD that caused the (temporary) survival of Jorgen Jorgensen's 1809 "Protectorate of Iceland." After consultation with various people, I have decided to definitively take up the timeline. As this is in fact happening, a promised thanks for indirect inspiration is in order to @Carp and his wonderful Corsican timeline.
However, I feel it is in need of further refinement, particularly in investigating various formats.
So for now I shall post that opening and periodically test out various ideas.

The Dog-Days King

(Disclaimer: All sources I’ve found are extremely vague about the circumstances of Jorgensen’s encounter with HMS Talbotand subsequent events, so apologies if I’ve missed part of my POD)

POD- Jorgensen’s ship is not damaged, HMS Talbot sails by unnoticed. Jorgen Jorgensen returns to England, and represents himself to Banks and other allies as a loyal subject who overthrew a sclerotic enemy regime in the interest of the inhabitants and British trade, installing himself as “Protector” essentially by default and not through Agathoclean impulses. Using the implied non-objections of his British companions as corroborating evidence that his action was not prejudicial to British interests, the Admiralty gives him leave to return to Iceland while his case is sorted out, as confining him would leave a total anarchy even more offensive to British sensibilities than purported Revolution, and, with all the testimony, from his patrons, witnesses to the matter, and available former shipmates, indicating Jorgensen’s good character [here we see the POD already at work]. Jorgensen renegotiates some trade agreements, including a few with his former partners (giving the explanation for commandeering their ship that circumstances required him to do so in order to fulfill the venture), and promises to return the ship as a token of his goodwill at the earliest possible moment. British merchants, blocked from the Icelandic market for some time, are eager to reestablish links in the codfish trade, and Jorgensen returns to Iceland with ships of grain following effectively in his train, which of course bolsters his support.

The “Protector” returns to Iceland, where he, as intended, formally reestablishes the Althing, recruiting local notables to stand in freeholder elections, which ties the men of authority and influence to the Jorgensen regime. He has the Althing assume its old judicial and legislative functions, which leaves little scope for complaints of Jorgensenian overreach, and essentially defines the remaining functions of his nebulous role as that of a peripatetic ombudsman, principally ousting the more corrupt or indolent Danish placemen, and replacing them with well-regarded locals, endearing himself to the common people by ending the abuses, and to the gentry by offering advancement to the vacant posts. By chasing out Danish merchantmen and other non-British competition, he also bolsters the Icelandic native fishing industry (there was sufficient local expertise in many places, but without any scope for fishing on a commercial level) and tries, with the limited resources at his disposal, to otherwise improve the parlous Icelandic economy. By the spring, British commercial connections have been established, his ship has been returned with amity, and a benign, non-revolutionary, non-despotic government established, almost entirely on local lines.

When the British board of inquiry finally begins its proceedings, sources in Britain, primarily the merchants with whom Jorgensen has dealt, are willing to vouch for his friendliness to British interests, and Jorgensen’s former patrons are once again helpful in advancing his cause. Cannily, instead of coming himself to England, cap-in-hand, Jorgensen sends an “ambassador,” (well technically under the auspices of the Althing) to increase his prestige by claiming the trappings of a sovereign power. While this irks some of the more hidebound British representatives, it psychologically frames the issue as that of a country, not an adventurer. When Icelandic sources are sought, the commission perforce turns to local notables and/or the Icelandic gentry, groups that, due to his patronage of them, are solidly in favor of Jorgensen. Meanwhile, the Danish governor and a few of the diehard Danes remain under house arrest, unable to offer their own account and their patronage networks rapidly atrophying. With Jorgensen’s actions since assuming power resolutely pro-British, and practically all sources on his character resoundingly positive, this goes some way to negate the “unfitness” of Jorgensen’s low birth.

The issue of his character dealt with, Iceland simply becomes a political matter. As feelers extended towards Denmark probing the possibility of a “Iceland-for-neutrality” swap have been resoundingly declined, for Britain, the alternative to treating with the Icelandic regime is to intervene and either try to administer the country directly, or attempt to create a new government, Iceland’s third in as many years, without the assured support of either the old Danish apparatus, or the newly empowered segments of the local gentry. Yet they could hardly let what was still a semi-revolutionary regime headed by a commoner stand. It is unknown which side proposed what seems to be the obvious solution to the impasse; perhaps it was roughly broached by both sides at once. In brief, Iceland would become a Protectorate (not to be confused with Jorgensen’s title) of His Britannic Majesty and a compliment of ships and troops to defend it, with essentially full internal autonomy exercised by the Althing, and Icelandic citizens, ships, and commerce abroad falling under the guarantees of British safekeeping. In exchange, Iceland would cede sovereignty in foreign affairs, promise not to trade with enemies and embargoed nations of Britain (not a real hardship at this point, as Jorgensen’s trade initiatives have already secured this state de facto), and pay for its aforementioned British-supplied defense. To coordinate this relationship, a resident British Governor-General, maintained equally by both sides, is to be appointed. Issues of potential impressment of Icelandic sailors, let alone drafting of its landsmen as soldiers, are not addressed at this stage.

It is likely that the very fact of Iceland’s marginal relation to the rest of the world made its felicitous rebirth possible. Had Iceland been more important, the British would have gone to the trouble of installing a truly satisfactory government, throwing off the strange Danish adventurer and his radical notions of self-governance and enlightenment liberalism. But why should Albion divert ships and men from the great struggle with Napoleon, and invest time, money, and administrative expertise in running a country of 50,000 people? With no possible returns that would justify such an outlay, it was thought acceptable, and far easier, for the pragmatic nation of shopkeepers to simply let sleeping dogs lie, and turn the rough modus vivendiinto a formal settlement. Yet, despite agreeing to everything in principle, the British prevaricate for weeks on actually concluding terms. Although it is left unsaid, the one great stumbling block is, as always and despite all his goodwill, Jorgensen himself. What would his status be now? Would he stay on as a sort of Protector-within-a-Protector? Would he demand to be accorded the respect due to an acknowledged European head of state? Since the delay has now stretched on for over a month, the astute Jorgensen is well aware of the holdup and the unstated reason for it.

With the gift for jarring, decisive action that was among his greatest strengths, the Protector conceives of a solution, and resolutely instructs his diplomats to offer it for British consideration. Jorgenson would resign the Protectorship (the future status of the office to be resolved as circumstances require), and undertake never to hold any sort of executive office for the remainder of his life. In exchange, he would be acknowledged as a legitimate citizen of Iceland, and all the still formally ongoing investigations into his character and conduct (now moribund as they have been subsumed into the diplomatic dance) would be dropped. Jorgensen’s motives in embarking on such a radical step remain mysterious. Perhaps he thought that removing his own awkward person from the situation would be the only way to ensure the freedom of his adopted country. Perhaps the gambler chose to hedge his bets, accepting a loss of status, but retaining his liberty and personal security. It could conceivably have been a mixture of the altruistic and the mercenary.

The British, with the obstacle of Jorgensen removed, readily agree to the treaty, on September 3, 1810. As the wheels of Whitehall grind and the apparatus of British dominance is created on paper, Jorgensen’s representatives return to Iceland and inform their master of the culmination of his grand scheme, one that, paradoxically, sees his status fall from a unrecognized king to a private citizen. Forestalling British arrival, Jorgensen addresses the Althing (disrupting plans for winter adjournment). He resigns the extralegal office of the Protectorship, (with his last act in the position being that of abolishing it, so that no British plenipotentiary could use it to tyrannize the land), devolving its powers to the Althing. Although Jorgensen of course informed the legislature of the progress of negotiations, he takes this moment to present the finalized treaty, including the codicil about his own status. Assenting to treaties with foreign states would of course be the prerogative of the Protector, but, the office no longer existing, that is now solely a matter for the Althing. Seeing that the British offer is the deal of a lifetime, the best thing to happen to Iceland since the Old Covenant, the Althing agrees unanimously, with Jorgensen in the watching Thingvellir crowd. On November 17, 1810, the sloop of war HMS Talbot [I just couldn’t resist], carrying the arriving Governor-General and a small complement of Marines, docks in Reykjavik, where the Althing has moved to in order to receive the British. Speeches are made on both sides, translation provided by a local English merchant, the Union Jack and the scarcely newer Codfish Banner of Iceland (courtesy of Jorgensen) are raised, and Iceland embarks on the next chapter in its history, all because of the impulse of an adventurer, a man who has lost everything he won, but gained much more besides: Jorgen Jorgensen has come home.

Here's my initial post from chat:

Interesting and I only knew the little I previously wrote on Your thread in Help. Have looked up a little on-line stuff; the peaceful resignation seems out of his character. Dunno what else he would have done though perhaps tried to stay in office once the Brits arrive which might have been his downfall anyway.
Jørgensen seems in line with dr. Struensee the physician of Christian 7. being influenced by the Enlightenment and selfdetermination - if that isn't stretching it in the case of Jørgensen - and wanting to do good to the unenlighted masses. Jørgensen seems to be more of the selfdetermination and powergrasp nature than enlightening the masses.
Your TL would be more of the development of Iceland than the figurehead of Jørgensen which could be interesting. Jørgensen's life post folding to pressure of royalty and tradition isn't of much interest - of mine. ;)
Unless of course you have something up the sleeve.

However Jørgensen could well serve the role of the individual who by his actions manage to change history. Independent Iceland protected by Pax Britannica not being a reservation/museum of original Norse language the Danes turned it into may offer some changes.
Post 1814 the Danes may be able to keep the North Atlantic possessions of Greenland and Faeroe Is. or they may go to Norway. The British may still not want to waste resources administering the barren fishing ports hinterlands.
Going to Norway Denmark may feel much more the small nation at the mercy of Germans; though Denmark may try getting something out of Gold Coast and the West Indies anyway. If letting go of colonies Danish Naval development may change quite a lot without the need of large warships and frigates to patrol the routes of commerce to colonies and protection of neutral merchantmen.

Denmark keeping the North Atlantic possessions sans Iceland may see a much more vigorous Naval rebuilding post 1814/5 to ensure those staying with "empire". Come romanticism and nationalism the Danes may be much more militaristic perhaps leading v. Moltke to end up chief of staff in Denmark instead of Imperial Germany - if one such would come by anyway. And a very different Scandinavia I think but then there may be lots of butterflies. :D

Jørgensen is of interest himself I must admit; if he avoids capture by the RN HMS Sappho he may have a glorious career with the Danish Navy perhaps as an explorer of the Arctic.

@frustrated progressive answer in chat:

Thanks for your interest and suggestions!
Well Jorgensen seems occasionally (especially before he developed a gambling addiction) to have been able to analyze his situation effectively and cut his losses when necessary. By acceding to the deal, he gets his liberty, personal security, a cleared reputation, and a place in history. Without it, he almost certainly would have eventually been removed and sent packing penniless to Britain (either the Brits would have straight-up acted manu militari, or a way would have been found to directly negotiate with an Althing that would almost certainly (albeit possibly regretfully) sacrifice Jorgensen to secure the rest of the deal.
My idea is that Jorgensen wrote the clause about foreswearing any executive office expressly to create a loophole where other offices are open to him. So, immediately after the takeover, a grateful Althing grants him some land in recognition of his services, only enough to ensure a reasonable income, and just incidentally qualifying him to vote and stand in elections. The next year, he runs for Althing from somewhere with an open seat... and is immediately elected in a landslide, and becomes a legislative bigwig for as long as he cares to. If wanderlust seizes him again, he can simply fail to stand for the annual elections one year, and take an open-ended sabbatical. Rinse and repeat for the rest of his life. His temperament does seem more suited to traveling influencer than someone concerned with the legislative nitty-gritty, but I'm sure there's some sort of duty that can satisfy him, for a while at least. I envision him as the Steve Wozniak of the Icelandic government: detached from day-to-day operations, largely focused on grand theories, ideals, and long-term goals, occasionally absent altogether, and oftentimes even rather critical of the decisions of his more active counterparts, but always trusted to offer loyalty and good counsel, and relied upon in any major impasse or institutional crisis.
And yes, I could chart the remainder of Jorgensen's life, although in that case I'd probably have him leave Iceland and make him do something really interesting, or I could focus on Iceland itself and an early independence before any semblance of the National Awakening (I mean, Jon Sigurdsson is in utero when the British take over).

I overlooked that twist of the Jorgensen deal with the Althing. That would make him just another major landover elegible for office once things cool down. The possible ways of in and out of office makes it all a kind of Putinescue if seen in 2018 light or the statesman lurking in the shadows.
Without Sigurdsson this would of course make for more room of manouevre of Jorgensen and possible the Althing may decide not to own alligiance to king Danish or Norwegian or any other such. Ye olde republinc reinstated - but how will the brits react to such; it will be called Bonapartist by some back in Blighty and safer remove the rebellion and hand stuff back to the king of? once war ends.
So Jorgensen have to do a lot of diplomatic wiggling before wars end - within a year or two. Lets see him at the Vienna conference. :p
Then we could still have independent Iceland 1½ century early. Nothing else that would mean the end of TL! :'(

@frustrated progressive second answer in chat:

Yes, the linguistic purification (and other Romantic-influenced national consciousness movements) may be forestalled or modified.
Danish presence in Greenland seems extremely minimal, practically nothing as far as I can tell outside of a mission station at Godthab and random merchant ships plying Greenlandic waters. Perhaps Iceland can make a token contribution to the British war effort (thus forestalling any threat of drafting on Icelandic soil, and probably as a quid pro quo for a relaxation of impressments of Icelanders), by capturing Danish Greenland with a token force.
As for the Faeroes, they were never taken IOTL despite being only a few hundred miles north of the Shetlands; I'm sure that ITTL they can similarly be left to whither on the vine. Certainly they never relied on Iceland, and thus can be left Danish (indeed possibly even more likely than IOTL, as Denmark has already been additionally punished by the loss of Iceland. I don't think Greenland-Denmark connections ever relied on Iceland as a waystation, though I may be mistaken. Norway will still almost certainly be split off, as Iceland is too irrelevant to constitute a real punishment (assuming Coalition victory, of course).

And here we come to the main problem with the prospect of continuing this notion further; an almost complete ignorance of nineteenth century Scandinavian history, beyond the little that any well-read layman with an interest in history would know, and a passing acquaintance with the Icelandic independence movement. So I'm afraid I'm not qualified to answer your questions about Danish political developments, I'd like to hear some possibilities myself, honestly. I had no idea that Moltke had Danish roots, very interesting.
Jorgensen escaping capture and becoming a swashbuckling Danish corsair would be really cool.

With Iceland suddenly reaching independence the Norwegians may feel obliged to notify the Swedes of the North Atlantic possessions to cater for tomorrow. The Swedes may or may not care. Either way the the preservation of "original" Norse in Iceland will be out the window.
If the Norwegians get to get the North Atlantic possessions the Danish Navy will change development post Nap-wars. No need for part of the oceangoing fleet to protect the North Atlantic. This may change the debate of what to do with the colonies - West Indies, Gold Coast etc. Still kept there will be a need for frigates and later cruisers. Abandoned the Navy will become even more of a coastal watch. And ultimately integrated with the Army! The Horror!!! Which may in the end benefit the latter when war comes with the German States - if it does. ;)
No glory for the small state Navy in launching the Galathea expedition or mapping the Baltic.

Now Iceland going hand in hand with the RN during the last years of the Nap-Wars or at least till Peace of Kiel 1814 may see an occupation of Godthaab/Nuuk which may surely piss off the Danes in relation to future Iceland and the Icelanders may have to hand it back post war to whatever state ultimately claims it. Nothing strange in doing so - Danish colonies were occupied by British troops post 1807 and handed back post war.
But here's a ploy for retaining the Danish Navy; protection of Danish/Faeroe fishermen working around Iceland! Early Cod Wars. :cool:

I too haven't come across Iceland as stopover en route to Greenland but I may be wrong; come steam it certainly won't be. No coal in Iceland.

If you decide to keep going I'll look in from time to time with offers of advice and good councel. :biggrin:

Molkte's father had become a Danish civil servant in the Dutchies originating in Mecklenburg. He actually became a Lieutenant of the Army but then wanting someplace to serve with more room for advancing. He was featuring in an (at least one) old TL of mine.
Jorgensen being a Navy man could well have earned his fame as a commander of some small ship like Hammer who rose to status. Jorgensen may have gone the international way and serving with the Russian Navy then the French taking part in Algiers operations and perhaps go to Japan to modernize if he lives that long. He could also have a stint in South America as a naval commander. Pretty usefull guy. :)

@frustrated progressive answer in chat:

I overlooked that twist of the Jorgensen deal with the Althing. That would make him just another major landover elegible for office once things cool down. The possible ways of in and out of office makes it all a kind of Putinescue if seen in 2018 light or the statesman lurking in the shadows.
Without Sigurdsson this would of course make for more room of manouevre of Jorgensen and possible the Althing may decide not to own alligiance to king Danish or Norwegian or any other such. Ye olde republinc reinstated - but how will the brits react to such; it will be called Bonapartist by some back in Blighty and safer remove the rebellion and hand stuff back to the king of? once war ends.
So Jorgensen have to do a lot of diplomatic wiggling before wars end - within a year or two. Lets see him at the Vienna conference. :p
Then we could still have independent Iceland 1½ century early. Nothing else that would mean the end of TL! :'(

@frustrated progressive second answer in chat:

With Iceland suddenly reaching independence the Norwegians may feel obliged to notify the Swedes of the North Atlantic possessions to cater for tomorrow. The Swedes may or may not care. Either way the the preservation of "original" Norse in Iceland will be out the window.
If the Norwegians get to get the North Atlantic possessions the Danish Navy will change development post Nap-wars. No need for part of the oceangoing fleet to protect the North Atlantic. This may change the debate of what to do with the colonies - West Indies, Gold Coast etc. Still kept there will be a need for frigates and later cruisers. Abandoned the Navy will become even more of a coastal watch. And ultimately integrated with the Army! The Horror!!! Which may in the end benefit the latter when war comes with the German States - if it does. ;)
No glory for the small state Navy in launching the Galathea expedition or mapping the Baltic.

Now Iceland going hand in hand with the RN during the last years of the Nap-Wars or at least till Peace of Kiel 1814 may see an occupation of Godthaab/Nuuk which may surely piss off the Danes in relation to future Iceland and the Icelanders may have to hand it back post war to whatever state ultimately claims it. Nothing strange in doing so - Danish colonies were occupied by British troops post 1807 and handed back post war.
But here's a ploy for retaining the Danish Navy; protection of Danish/Faeroe fishermen working around Iceland! Early Cod Wars. :cool:

I too haven't come across Iceland as stopover en route to Greenland but I may be wrong; come steam it certainly won't be. No coal in Iceland.

If you decide to keep going I'll look in from time to time with offers of advice and good councel. :biggrin:

Molkte's father had become a Danish civil servant in the Dutchies originating in Mecklenburg. He actually became a Lieutenant of the Army but then wanting someplace to serve with more room for advancing. He was featuring in an (at least one) old TL of mine.
Jorgensen being a Navy man could well have earned his fame as a commander of some small ship like Hammer who rose to status. Jorgensen may have gone the international way and serving with the Russian Navy then the French taking part in Algiers operations and perhaps go to Japan to modernize if he lives that long. He could also have a stint in South America as a naval commander. Pretty usefull guy. :)

Thanks for interpolating your previous responses. I'll admit that the threadshift left you in the lurch.
Well Jorgensen's native propensity for weird useless gestures will probably be lessened by the fact that he actually has something to lose; he was rather cunning when his impetuousness didn't blind him.
Yes, the current vassalized commonwealth is largely a matter of war expediency, it will have just either justify its existence to the Brits or slip through the jaws of the Metternichian consensus after th war, assuming that the Brits win, which, with an 1809 POD, is honestly not that certain (but I can't spoil the timeline by explaining how I will jigger it,now can I?).
"With Iceland suddenly reaching independence the Norwegians may feel obliged to notify the Swedes of the North Atlantic possessions to cater for tomorrow. The Swedes may or may not care. Either way the the preservation of "original" Norse in Iceland will be out the window."
I honestly don't know what you mean by either "cater" (conquer, perhaps) or "out the window" (as surely Iceland will still exist) in this sentence?
Yeah, there's no reason for either Iceland or Britain directly to keep Greenland; occupying it would just be a way to plant the flag. Denmark would almost certainly get it back.
Good Early Cod Wars idea, and I'm sure Icelandic fishermen will soon be complaining about the highhandedness of British fishermen, who are effectively above chastisement.
indeed about the Faeroes.
Well thanks for the offer, I'm sure that I'll still be in need of some counsel..
I'm almost regretting not going that route of Jorgnsenen, Danish swashbuckler, except that you keep suggesting all my best speculations.
RollEyes.png

Thanks for interpolating your previous responses. I'll admit that the threadshift left you in the lurch.
Well Jorgensen's native propensity for weird useless gestures will probably be lessened by the fact that he actually has something to lose; he was rather cunning when his impetuousness didn't blind him.
Yes, the current vassalized commonwealth is largely a matter of war expediency, it will have just either justify its existence to the Brits or slip through the jaws of the Metternichian consensus after th war, assuming that the Brits win, which, with an 1809 POD, is honestly not that certain (but I can't spoil the timeline by explaining how I will jigger it,now can I?).
"With Iceland suddenly reaching independence the Norwegians may feel obliged to notify the Swedes of the North Atlantic possessions to cater for tomorrow. The Swedes may or may not care. Either way the the preservation of "original" Norse in Iceland will be out the window."
I honestly don't know what you mean by either "cater" (conquer, perhaps) or "out the window" (as surely Iceland will still exist) in this sentence?
Yeah, there's no reason for either Iceland or Britain directly to keep Greenland; occupying it would just be a way to plant the flag. Denmark would almost certainly get it back.
Good Early Cod Wars idea, and I'm sure Icelandic fishermen will soon be complaining about the highhandedness of British fishermen, who are effectively above chastisement.
indeed about the Faeroes.
Well thanks for the offer, I'm sure that I'll still be in need of some counsel..
I'm almost regretting not going that route of Jorgnsenen, Danish swashbuckler, except that you keep suggesting all my best speculations. View attachment 397246

Sorry about getting the good ideas too! :D
But the man would surely be worth it. Perhaps a story in Writers Forum one day. :)

cater - meant to anticipate tomorrow i.e. independence from Sweden. out of the window - original Norse language not preserved the way its been as we know it.