Spain DOWS the Soviet Union - UK reaction?

Inspired by this thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...xis-where-do-d-day-and-dragoon-happen.512121/

I found the 1941/1942 DOW to be implausible. The 'best' [1] time for Spain to join the Axis is in the summer of 1940 and a 1941 join the Axis seems even more insane than OTL's. But what if Spain did something else. Rather than joining the Axis, what if they DOWed the Soviet Union in 1941 but pointedly did not join the Axis or declare war on the UK?

Franco will probably think this a symbolic DOW and other than the Blue Division (and maybe another division or two) doesn't send much to help in the East. This additional force is highly unlikely to swing anything on the Eastern Front.

So, how does this play out?

1. The Soviet Union isn't going to be happy about being DOWed, and like with Finland is going to pressure its new ally, the UK, to DOW Spain.
2. The UK (And later US) is going to come under serious diplomatic pressure to DOW. What does the UK do? Simply decline, as any DOW would follow with the immediate loss of Gibralter, or file under 'yes, but not yet' and then start a build up both in Gibraltar and also to attack Spain itself?
3. Is the UK able to use the lack of Soviet DOW on Bulgaria as an excuse not to likewise DOW Spain? What if the Soviet Union then DOWs Bulgaria and askes the UK to reciprocate?
4. Even assuming the UK doesn't declare war on Spain, the war will end pretty much OTL. How does the Soviet Union and Spain arrive at a peace deal? Spain is unlikely to want to concede anything, whilst Stalin and the Soviet Union will simply not accept a 'status quo' peace and will demand at least harsh reparations for perceived wrongs against Leningrad.
5. Even if a peace is concluded, I can see Stalin deciding that Franco needs a lesson in how to use an ice-pick. If Franco was offed sometime between 1946 and 1952 by the Soviet Union, how is the rest of the world going to react to the Head of State being murdered by obvious Soviet agents?

[1] In reality, there is no best time, but hey ho.

Inspired by this thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...xis-where-do-d-day-and-dragoon-happen.512121/

I found the 1941/1942 DOW to be implausible. The 'best' [1] time for Spain to join the Axis is in the summer of 1940 and a 1941 join the Axis seems even more insane than OTL's. But what if Spain did something else. Rather than joining the Axis, what if they DOWed the Soviet Union in 1941 but pointedly did not join the Axis or declare war on the UK?

Franco will probably think this a symbolic DOW and other than the Blue Division (and maybe another division or two) doesn't send much to help in the East. This additional force is highly unlikely to swing anything on the Eastern Front.

1. The Soviet Union isn't going to be happy about being DOWed, and like with Finland is going to pressure its new ally, the UK, to DOW Spain.
2. The UK (And later US) is going to come under serious diplomatic pressure to DOW. What does the UK do? Simply decline, as any DOW would follow with the immediate loss of Gibralter, or file under 'yes, but not yet' and then start a build up both in Gibraltar and also to attack Spain itself?
3. Is the UK able to use the lack of Soviet DOW on Bulgaria as an excuse not to likewise DOW Spain? What if the Soviet Union then DOWs Bulgaria and askes the UK to reciprocate?
4. Even assuming the UK doesn't declare war on Spain, the war will end pretty much OTL. How does the Soviet Union and Spain arrive at a peace deal? Spain is unlikely to want to concede anything, whilst Stalin and the Soviet Union will simply not accept a 'status quo' peace and will demand at least harsh reparations for perceived wrongs against Leningrad.
5. Even if a peace is concluded, I can see Stalin deciding that Franco needs a lesson in how to use an ice-pick. If Franco was offed sometime between 1946 and 1952 by the Soviet Union, how is the rest of the world going to react to the Head of State being murdered by obvious Soviet agents?

A declaration of war on the USSR is NOT a declaration of war on Britain or USA. The USSR was not at war with Japan despite it’s allies being so

"So when are you going to declare war on Japan, Stalin."

"So when are you going to declare war on Japan, Stalin."
Britain and USA says no, citing geographic difficulties (IE, Gibraltar) and no declaration of war happens. Ironically, this would probably have the Nationalists win the Chinese civil war and no North Korea and North Vietnam as the USSR would be so angry they refuse to declare war on Japan. Japan still surrender due to nukes

So, not disagreeing with the above, I even postulated it's likely in my own OP.
But what is going to happen come May 1945? The Soviet Union and Spain are still at war, though neither can now reach each other as US/UK/France occupied Germany is in the way, along with France proper.

How do Spain and the Soviet Union agree a peace deal? Spain is likely to offer a 'status quo' peace, but I suspect Stalin won't want to accept that. At the least he'll want reparations, and possibly Franco's head on a plate if he can get it.
Could we see a 'Berwick upon Tweed' situation where the Soviet Union and Spain are still at war well into the 1950s?

How do Spain and the Soviet Union agree a peace deal? Spain is likely to offer a 'status quo' peace, but I suspect Stalin won't want to accept that. At the least he'll want reparations, and possibly Franco's head on a plate if he can get it.

That's assuming the Spanish haven't put Franco's head on a pike themselves. Which is probably what would happen by early '44, when it's clearly a lost cause that's drained the already bare treasury and thrown away a lot of lives, in a country already pretty sick of, bled white by, and bankrupted by war.

So, not disagreeing with the above, I even postulated it's likely in my own OP.
But what is going to happen come May 1945? The Soviet Union and Spain are still at war, though neither can now reach each other as US/UK/France occupied Germany is in the way, along with France proper.

Could we see a 'Berwick upon Tweed' situation where the Soviet Union and Spain are still at war well into the 1950s?
I can imagine an OTL USSR and Japan situation where they are still officially at war but no action