Soviets in the Sun: A Timeline

Definitely one heck of a read. I found the events to be fairly plausible, considering what little I've picked up on the nature of this war. Maybe a bit optimistic for the Republic, well until the coup, but not too out of bounds considering. I especially didn't think of there being a chance of a split between aspects of the Nationalists; probably because they won the war IOTL.

I do think it's a little wacky that Britain and France were so accepting of Hitler's big day in Czechoslovakia though. That long war should have some really negative effects on the German economy mind you. It really only kept going due to eating all of the resources from its neighbors that effectively rolled over after all. I'd imaging it collapsing during another protracted war, or just by sitting there considering.

I'm interested with this world as a whole, particularly considering you may have just given communism strong roots on the African continent, ones which can really make it spread throughout the area should (likely when) decolonization happen. I mean, there are havens where the ideology can retreat to now.

Definitely one heck of a read. I found the events to be fairly plausible, considering what little I've picked up on the nature of this war. Maybe a bit optimistic for the Republic, well until the coup, but not too out of bounds considering. I especially didn't think of there being a chance of a split between aspects of the Nationalists; probably because they won the war IOTL.

I do think it's a little wacky that Britain and France were so accepting of Hitler's big day in Czechoslovakia though. That long war should have some really negative effects on the German economy mind you. It really only kept going due to eating all of the resources from its neighbors that effectively rolled over after all. I'd imaging it collapsing during another protracted war, or just by sitting there considering.

I'm interested with this world as a whole, particularly considering you may have just given communism strong roots on the African continent, ones which can really make it spread throughout the area should (likely when) decolonization happen. I mean, there are havens where the ideology can retreat to now.

Thank you for the comments, Mr. Magi. It may seem a bit optimistic at times, but the entire nature of the war changed due to the alt-Brunete. If you're not totally confident on the subject of the civil war, then these changes are bound to go unnoticed. Franco's reliance on political cohesion was a big part of the Nationalist victory, as was the support of Germany and Italy, and so dissent amongst his own ranks would have begun the weakening of the Nationalist cause. In addition to that, TTL's Battle of Brunete really shook up the Soviet leadership and made Stalin take notice of the plight of Spain. Anyway, the entire OTL civil war certainly seems like a Nationalist wank in hindsight.

There was a post after the update concerning the Czechoslovak War where I explained my reasoning for Britain and France's apparent betrayal of Czechoslovakia. To summarise that very post- the Soviets have pursued a more aggressive policy of arming Spain against Franco's rebels, Czechoslovakia is looking more to the Soviet Union to guarantee its independence, Britain and France are unwilling to start as they both aren't prepared nor have much pro-war sentiment backing them up, the Czechoslovakian government is getting more and more heated in its discussions with Germany, neither country backs down, Britain and France's leaders see this as a way of containing Germany in the long-term as the war is able to drain Germany's resources and make Hitler think twice about another military engagement, and so the Czechoslovak War begins. The logical course of events in OTL has been changed to favour appeasement towards Germany in the short-term whilst allowing Britain and France to build up military power for a war in the long-term. Chamberlain was not so blind an appeaser as he is made out to be, even though I feel appeasement was one of the worse options for foreign policy in the 30s.

The changes to the communist movements in Africa will become apparent mostly post-WW2, really. That is when Spain can really change the map of the world.

I've started on the next update, but it has taken some time to organise it as there was a lot of information to include and so I've decided to do some "thematic" updates in the run up to the Second World War. They'll progress chronologically, but will deal with different aspects of post-revolutionary Spain.

Sadly, the update may not go out for some time. It seems that I've been made homeless by the bungling, welfare-cutting bureaucracy of my local council, and so need to help get my family's affairs in order before I can begin writing updates more frequently again. Until I have some accommodation, I won't be able to update Soviets in the Sun. :(

I'm very sorry, as I know it must be a let-down for everyone when I seem to be on hiatus after hiatus. But, I hope people can understand that I need a roof over my head before I can carry on this timeline. I promise that it will be finished, but it won't be finished soon.

Thank you for all of the support, enthusiasm and comments that I've received so far. I won't let you guys down, not as long as I have a hope in hell of finishing this! "¡No pasarán!"

I've started on the next update, but it has taken some time to organise it as there was a lot of information to include and so I've decided to do some "thematic" updates in the run up to the Second World War. They'll progress chronologically, but will deal with different aspects of post-revolutionary Spain.

Sadly, the update may not go out for some time. It seems that I've been made homeless by the bungling, welfare-cutting bureaucracy of my local council, and so need to help get my family's affairs in order before I can begin writing updates more frequently again. Until I have some accommodation, I won't be able to update Soviets in the Sun. :(

I'm very sorry, as I know it must be a let-down for everyone when I seem to be on hiatus after hiatus. But, I hope people can understand that I need a roof over my head before I can carry on this timeline. I promise that it will be finished, but it won't be finished soon.

Thank you for all of the support, enthusiasm and comments that I've received so far. I won't let you guys down, not as long as I have a hope in hell of finishing this! "¡No pasarán!"

That's an awful thing to hear about your current conditions. :(:(:( Don't worry about us, finding a new place is A LOT more important.

I'm sorry to hear the situation that you're going through. :(:(:(
I hope that your situation is settled very soon and you can find a new home as soon as possible.

Much courage!

I'm sad to hear of your misfortune. :( I've been made Homeless myself in the past due to Council Bungling and Illegalities so I empathise greatly with you and your situation.

May good fortune be yours in the search for alternative accomodation.

I hope you find a place as well soon. I have been homeless or had a high risk of being homeless in the past few months. I know how it feels, :(:(:(.

Stay strong thinking of you AND KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK. :D:D:D:D

I hope you find a place as well soon. I have been homeless or had a high risk of being homeless in the past few months. I know how it feels, :(:(:(.

Stay strong thinking of you AND KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK. :D:D:D:D

I'm sad to hear of your misfortune. :( I've been made Homeless myself in the past due to Council Bungling and Illegalities so I empathise greatly with you and your situation.

May good fortune be yours in the search for alternative accomodation.

I'm sorry to hear the situation that you're going through. :(:(:(
I hope that your situation is settled very soon and you can find a new home as soon as possible.

Much courage!

That's an awful thing to hear about your current conditions. :(:(:( Don't worry about us, finding a new place is A LOT more important.

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support. I don't want to prattle on about my personal life, so I'll just say that things don't seem to be getting easier in sorting out future accommodation. However, our landlord is a sympathetic and kind man, so I've been afforded some time. Any fellow Britons who know about the Local Government and Communities Secretary, Eric Pickles, and his voting record, should probably find it as ironic as I do that he is my local MP. For those unaware of the man, I'll just say that this sort of local government blunder is his concern and he has voted for the exact things that have put me in this position. But, that's just something I find amusing amongst all this crap.

The timeline, as it stands, will not be continued at any point in the near-future. However, this doesn't mean it is dead or abandoned. In fact, it is "side-lined". I think this term is the best to describe "Soviets in the Sun" at the moment. It's not as if I'm dropping it now and never looking back. Instead, it's being put away and shelved until I feel ready to take it on again. In the meantime, there may be full timelines, fantasy and alternate history stories, TLIADs and TLIAWs, and anything else I feel like doing. The title of a possible future timeline is currently in my signature, but I'm just bandying ideas about at this stage. There are plenty other PODs I've written preliminary scenarios for, so it's hard to say what I write next.

I am eternally grateful for all the support, comments and criticisms that I have received in this, my ahistorical debut. Side-lining this may seem like a small defeat or setback, but I'm not one to give up on anything. As of today, I'm back on the forum and ready to pose questions and discuss hypotheticals until my laptop keyboard is worn and tired. Just don't ask me to talk about Communist Spain.

"Soviets in the Sun" is not quite dead! Long live "Soviets in the Sun"! :)

Great! While its unfortunate to hear Soviets in the Sun will be delayed, its great to hear you'll be doing other projects.:)

Is there any progress of this great AH is known?

Sorry, Linense - there is no progress on this TL for the foreseeable future. However, my research is not going to waste as the Spanish Civil War is soon to play a vital role in the TL in my signature.

Furthermore, earlier today I had a moment of inspiration when reading about the use of the term "Director" in Lord Roem's magnificent TLIAD, The Limpid Stream. It reminded me of Miguel Primo de Rivera's "Directory" and of Emilio Mola's aspirations for the leadership of Spain. So, I have a short TL idea in my head at the moment with a PoD in the Rif War that I could do as either a TLIAD or TLIAW (depending on the time I have over the next few weeks).

I hope you can offer constructive criticism when these developments come :) I always appreciate your input.