Soviet intervention in Angola

What will a soviet intervention in Angola look like in the late 70s and no afghan war As in OTL

Like a regiment of airborne and marines at best.
They would need some units for the following tasks
Air defence
Air strikes
Close air support
Guarding harbors bases airports
Some capacity to counter armored formations of enemy
Counter insurgency

Last edited:
What will a soviet intervention in Angola look like in the late 70s and no afghan war As in OTL
It would probably look like more money to Cuba, and more Cuban intervention. Maybe some Soviet troops but I'd think that's unlikely.

It would probably look like more money to Cuba, and more Cuban intervention. Maybe some Soviet troops but I'd think that's unlikely.
Sure that’s OTL
But IF soviets directly send troops what kind of forces would those be ? Units strength etc

will RSA or other western navies try to stop this ?
Can a VDV division be airlifted there ? Do the soviets have the capability ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2186

The Soviet Union did intervene, not directly but using the Cubans to do the dirty work.

Deleted member 2186

Right but I’m proposing they intervene directly with soviet troops , how will that scenario play out ?
That will be a first outside of Europe where they only used troops to prevent Warsaw members going democrat.

Other then that they used their proxy's to do the dirty work.

What do you know. The Republic of Congo was called the People’s Republic of Congo back then. I imagine that will be the base the invasion comes from, though might be they have support form some group in the interior. Which groups do we see each side backing? You got the South Africans, the Soviets, the Cubans (might not be the same as Soviets), the Congolese (might want to annex Cabinda), the Americans, and probably Zaire, maybe something minor from the Chinese, and then you have all the Europeans wishing this happened much earlier as an example for what happened when countries went independent. But then they wouldn’t care, as the British and French left most of them left their colonies peacefully, with the governments in their pockets.

That will be a first outside of Europe where they only used troops to prevent Warsaw members going democrat.

Other then that they used their proxy's to do the dirty work.
In their eyes they are just trying to prevent the spread of fascism

Pretext could be killing of some soviet advisors

sinking of a soviet cargo ship

hijacking soviet airliner