Would it be possible to get a South American theater in WWI? Could, for example, Argentina join the Central Powers in order to take the Falkland Islands and then for some reason have Chile join the Entente? Any other ideas are welcome.

You got that reversed. Argentina was practically a British colony in this period and very nearly joined WW1 on the Allies side, for reasons similar to Brazil. Meanwhile, Chile's military was under heavy German influence (although, like Japan, its navy leaned British, and it had also a large number of citizens of British descent).

Getting a South American front that is not just a local conflict subsumed into the greater war is going to need an old POD. Venezuela and Brazil are the only countries with believable disputes against Entente powers, but Venezuela wouldn't go at it alone. As for Brazil, I think you need to keep the Empire going and the country pursue an international, non-American expansion by the end of the century, like the United States, instead of the OTL retreat into isolationism and the conflicts with its own navy that followed the overthrowing of Pedro II (the navy was a hotbed of monarchists).

\
You got that reversed. Argentina was practically a British colony in this period and very nearly joined WW1 on the Allies side, for reasons similar to Brazil. Meanwhile, Chile's military was under heavy German influence (although, like Japan, its navy leaned British, and it had also a large number of citizens of British descent).

Getting a South American front that is not just a local conflict subsumed into the greater war is going to need an old POD. Venezuela and Brazil are the only countries with believable disputes against Entente powers, but Venezuela wouldn't go at it alone. As for Brazil, I think you need to keep the Empire going and the country pursue an international, non-American expansion by the end of the century, like the United States, instead of the OTL retreat into isolationism and the conflicts with its own navy that followed the overthrowing of Pedro II (the navy was a hotbed of monarchists).
If there was a Brazil, Venezuela, and possibly Chile vs Argentina and possibly Bolivia (to retake their coastline) front, how would that change the war?

Deleted member 9338

\

If there was a Brazil, Venezuela, and possibly Chile vs Argentina and possibly Bolivia (to retake their coastline) front, how would that change the war?

It would not change the long term, but it would open up a number of ports to be used by sea raiders.

In 1914 Great Britain owned a fourth of the world, and controlled a great part of the world sea lanes. South American countries were exporter of commodities, and Great Britain was an important buyer. A war against Britain would be a disaster for these countries economies, it would mean we would not be able to sell anything to Europe, and have no money to buy manufactured goods.

This is way I don't think any South American country would risk a war against Great Britain. There was also no reason, cause in 1914 there was not a significant anti British system in Argentina or Uruguay, quite the contrary: they bought our stuff, build railways, etc. It was after 1930, after the 1929 crisis, that anti British sentiments began.

In my view, the only way you could have South American countries involved in a world war on different sides in 1910/1920 is if the US and GB are on different sides. In that case, you can have, for instance, Argentina on the British side and, I don't know, maybe Brazil (which had a lot of trade with the US) on the American side. In a way, this is what happened in the Chaco war, when British an American oil interested differed.

You would most likely need a POD well before 1900 to make this work. There'd need to be a reason for South America to be invested in the European alliance system, versus just being happy to export abroad and make money from the conflict. So probably some POD in the 1860s, 70s, or 80s when the big shakeups took place in South America (Paraguayan War, fall of the Brazilian empire, ect) which changes the status-quo.

Honestly I'm attempting to figure out how to do this plausibly in my own TL for long term thinking.

I've been toying with the idea of a United States that joins the Central Powers or becomes at least hostile neutral to the Entente for some reason, and a few political changes in some countries, might do the trick. This US won't let the UK directly intervene, or even better, declare war on the UK when it actually tries to intervene

SA Entente: Chile, Argentina
SA Central Powers: Brazil, Peru, Bolivia

Basically have Brazil distrust the UK and sides more with the USA, and has higher tensions with Argentina. Meanwhile Peru and Bolivia get their act together and buy American weapons.

The trigger would be a series of skirmishes in the Brazil-Argentina border, a Peru-Bolivia Confederacy 2.0, or a fight for control over Paraguay and Uruguay.