South Africa restores the monarchy after Apartheid

Anyways, there was genuine support to restore the British monarchy is Sierra Leone, Gambia and Zimbabwe (after Mugabe). Could a South African restoration embolden them to try and restore the monarchy?
Does the general publics wants it? Like if a majority say yes then perhaps it could happen also do you think britain couod keep rhodesia (if the people so choose) in the 80s after the bush war?

Does the general publics wants it? Like if a majority say yes then perhaps it could happen also do you think britain couod keep rhodesia (if the people so choose) in the 80s after the bush war?
In Sierra Leone and Gambia yes the public did overwhelmingly support a restoration. Not sure about Zimbabwe's public. The PoD is in the 90s. The bush war is long over by then.

gambia believed the republican system failed them and the sierra leonese believed that the british saved them from anarchy when the brits intervened in the sierra leone civil war.
Well it could work though in that case opposition will come from britain calling it an attempt at recolonization but again if those 2 did become another part of the uk (perhaps even integral like french guyana) and prosper south africa might be swayed to becomes a monarchy (though thjs is only my opinion)

POD could be the Monarchy and Thatcher in Britain having an even more public falling out over sanctions in '86 and Thatcher conceding more than she did IOTL. (For added ASB spiciness turn it into a constitutional crisis with Maggie resigning as her own party doesn't support her on this issue. This is immediately after Heseltine was booted out over Westland and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Heseltine would launch a leadership challenge).

Potentially UK's volte face over sanctions could hasten the end of the Apartheid regime and make the Queen and the Monarchy very popular.

Well it could work though in that case opposition will come from britain calling it an attempt at recolonization but again if those 2 did become another part of the uk (perhaps even integral like french guyana) and prosper south africa might be swayed to becomes a monarchy (though thjs is only my opinion)
restoring the monarchy won't really be called recolonization. The 2004 Plan to make Sierra Leone a Crown Territory would have been dubbed recolonization if it had been enacted but restoring the monarchy won't really be a recolonization cry
POD could be the Monarchy and Thatcher in Britain having an even more public falling out over sanctions in '86 and Thatcher conceding more than she did IOTL. (For added ASB spiciness turn it into a constitutional crisis with Maggie resigning as her own party doesn't support her on this issue. This is immediately after Heseltine was booted out over Westland and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Heseltine would launch a leadership challenge).

Potentially UK's volte face over sanctions could hasten the end of the Apartheid regime and make the Queen and the Monarchy very popular.
The Thatcherite scenario is interesting indeed. the UK making full sanctions could increase British popularity in SA.

restoring the monarchy won't really be called recolonization. The 2004 Plan to make Sierra Leone a Crown Territory would have been dubbed recolonization if it had been enacted but restoring the monarchy won't really be a recolonization cry
True since most people in uk back then doesnt really care that much adding more land to the empire though if this does happened (making gambia a crown colony) this will be a hot topic that will be debated for future generation

Also wouldnt the eu have something to say in the matter considering the uk was a eu member back then

Thats interesting ngl basically making thatcher the turning point or shall i say person

True since most people in uk back then doesnt really care that much adding more land to the empire though if this does happened (making gambia a crown colony) this will be a hot topic that will be debated for future generation
the empire is dead. Restoring the monarchy is not restoring the empire. Gambia and Sierra Leone if they had restored their monarchies would share their monarch with britain like how canada, australia and new zealand share their monarch with britain but remain independent states
Also wouldnt the eu have something to say in the matter considering the uk was a eu member back then
Wholly commonwealth matter. No say for the EU

Well in that case pribably nothing happened too much just a title added to the monarch,flag changes and instead of president it would be prime minster

I dunno how will the people in these 3 country react though

Anyways, there was genuine support to restore the British monarchy is Sierra Leone, Gambia and Zimbabwe (after Mugabe). Could a South African restoration embolden them to try and restore the monarchy?
It's certainly possible and I'd say indeed highly likely for Sierra Leone and Gambia if South Africa restores the Crown. Zimbabwe... maybe?

Odd. It has been a long time since I read up on this area when writing my LLM but when I spent time reviewing CODESA I don't recall the UK monarchy being a topic of discussion. That's not to say it wasn't, just that it wasn't relevant enough to come up in the commentaries and texts I was reading. They were much more focused on contemporary issues of power sharing and the longer term shape of the state (federal/unitary, what to do with the Apartheid homelands, Westminster vs executive presidential, constitutionalism vs Westminster etc).

Odd. It has been a long time since I read up on this area when writing my LLM but when I spent time reviewing CODESA I don't recall the UK monarchy being a topic of discussion. That's not to say it wasn't, just that it wasn't relevant enough to come up in the commentaries and texts I was reading. They were much more focused on contemporary issues of power sharing and the longer term shape of the state (federal/unitary, what to do with the Apartheid homelands, Westminster vs executive presidential, constitutionalism vs Westminster etc).
From what I read it was confined to the new transition team and the involved parties.
It's certainly possible and I'd say indeed highly likely for Sierra Leone and Gambia if South Africa restores the Crown. Zimbabwe... maybe?
Zimbabwe is more ambiguous yes

De Klerk did support a return to monarchy. In 1993 he told Mandela that a return to monarchy would be a return to normalcy and would allow the nation to get past a horrid three decades. The rest of the NP is obviously republican leaning but considering their leader was in favour and that there was a free cross party vote, it does mean that the NP as a whole would not oppose it. Their power base had been reduced radically since 1991 and De Klerk was eager to get it back to shape. If the ANC supports the monarchy then the NP will.begrungdingly do it too.

I am very skeptical about any allegations that F. W. de Klerk supported the restoration of the Monarchy in South Africa, and would most certainly have to see a few credible sources back that up. The National Party was the vehicle and backbone of the Afrikaner identity and movement in South Africa, and thus represented all its aspirations and ideals: the primary of those having been an intense dislike for the United Kingdom and all its institutions. The referendum and declaration of the Republic in 1961 was the long-term realization of such aspirations, and even if there is some remote idea that de Klerk did in fact support a restoration, I highly doubt he would've been able to cajole the rest of the National Party into supporting that - he had already spent much of his political capital in bringing about negotiations and the end of Apartheid.

Furthermore, to that end, even if Mandela for example was amenable to such a notion, the entire point of the negotiations and the transition was the building of a stable and agreeable post-Apartheid future, one that could placate even the radicals within the liberation movement (especially those within MK and the SACP). The idea of bringing back what is arguably viewed as a "outdated colonial vestige" would deeply upset them, and also anger large swathes within the NP (as mentioned), and not to mention seem unpalatable to large portions of the South African population. In effect, all it really is going to do is cause more instability and more issues, angering an already tense population in a tense era. I mean, altogether 1989-1994 was a very chaotic period, one filled with a lot of violence.

And yeah, another issue on top is if you're restoring Queen Elizabeth II, what of the rights and powers of the various local monarchies? The AmaXhosa, the Zulu, etc.; what would their structure and functioning then be under this system? It's in effect really a can of worms, and I cannot stress that idea enough.

Altogether I am basing my own assertations here on my experiences (including what I've learned within academia in SA), and from friends/family/etc., especially those around during the 1980's and 1990's.

am very skeptical about any allegations that F. W. de Klerk supported the restoration of the Monarchy in South Africa, and would most certainly have to see a few credible sources back that up. The National Party was the vehicle and backbone of the Afrikaner identity and movement in South Africa, and thus represented all its aspirations and ideals: the primary of those having been an intense dislike for the United Kingdom and all its institutions. The referendum and declaration of the Republic in 1961 was the long-term realization of such aspirations, and even if there is some remote idea that de Klerk did in fact support a restoration, I highly doubt he would've been able to cajole the rest of the National Party into supporting that - he had already spent much of his political capital in bringing about negotiations and the end of Apartheid.
Pretty much. At the time Mandela seemed really interested in the monarchy so Klerk likely was simply trying to ride the proverbial train.

Furthermore, to that end, even if Mandela for example was amenable to such a notion, the entire point of the negotiations and the transition was the building of a stable and agreeable post-Apartheid future, one that could placate even the radicals within the liberation movement (especially those within MK and the SACP). The idea of bringing back what is arguably viewed as a "outdated colonial vestige" would deeply upset them, and also anger large swathes within the NP (as mentioned), and not to mention seem unpalatable to large portions of the South African population. In effect, all it really is going to do is cause more instability and more issues, angering an already tense population in a tense era. I mean, altogether 1989-1994 was a very chaotic period, one filled with a lot of violence.
Yes which is why I acknowledged that some kind of change or PoD in the 80s at least would be required.
And yeah, another issue on top is if you're restoring Queen Elizabeth II, what of the rights and powers of the various local monarchies? The AmaXhosa, the Zulu, etc.; what would their structure and functioning then be under this system? It's in effect really a can of worms, and I cannot stress that idea enough.
Mandela apparently was going for the Ashanti model in regards to the rest like in Ghana.

Altogether I am basing my own assertations here on my experiences (including what I've learned within academia in SA), and from friends/family/etc., especially those around during the 1980's and 1990's.
Personal experiences are welcome considering all the info I get are from books, which while a great source of info sometimes lack the depth of personal information.