Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

One problem here: There is no provision for filling a vacant vice-presidency, and lots of precedent for it remaining vacant. However, if the intent is to possibly provide for another president Kennedy, the Attorney General could be a good stepping off point in this situation.
The "Veep" in waiting is Carl Hayden, President pro tempore of the Senate, who said that if he had succeeded to the presidency "I'd call Congress together, have the House elect a new speaker, and then I'd resign and let him become president." Him being 86 and all that.

One problem here: There is no provision for filling a vacant vice-presidency, and lots of precedent for it remaining vacant. However, if the intent is to possibly provide for another president Kennedy, the Attorney General could be a good stepping off point in this situation.

The House could appoint Bobby Kennedy as replacement House Speaker, at Acting President McCormack's urging: the spot is open and they technically doen't have to choose a House member, they could pick Captain Kangaroo if they want.

[ then Acting President McCormack could resign, making RFK Acting President, and freeing himself to return as House Speaker. ]

Last edited:
When you're rooting for J. Edgar Hoover, of all people, this makes this an interesting TL. Fun fact: Hoover opposed FDR's internment of the Japanese during World War II, which he does not get enough credit for (of course, people are remembering all the bad things he did during his reign as FBI director)...

Some of the key people here is the Military personnel on the plane. What they say about the timeline of what happened on the plane will have bearing. Everyone from the Pilot in Command down to the lowest mess steward or airman who is a baggage man will be interviewed by the Air Force CID and with courtesy they might have the FBI with them, but they can keep the FBI out unless there is a court order issued and even then they would have a Air Force JAG officer or two appear with them.

When you're rooting for J. Edgar Hoover, of all people, this makes this an interesting TL. Fun fact: Hoover opposed FDR's internment of the Japanese during World War II, which he does not get enough credit for (of course, people are remembering all the bad things he did during his reign as FBI director)...
Really?

Geon

Donor
First, I am grateful for the number of you who have shown interest in this TL. I would like to pose a question to you if I may. Kenneth O'Donnell of course was killed in the incident on Air Force One. President McCormack will be looking for an advisor/chief of staff. Who are his most likely choices at this time?

First, I am grateful for the number of you who have shown interest in this TL. I would like to pose a question to you if I may. Kenneth O'Donnell of course was killed in the incident on Air Force One. President McCormack will be looking for an advisor/chief of staff. Who are his most likely choices at this time?
…RFK

He would more than likely keep his Chief of Staff from the Speakers position. It would be someone McCormack knew, who knew McCormack and more importantly knew the secrets McCormack had and where all the bodies were buried, so to speak. You want someone who is close to you.

Quig

Banned
The House could appoint Bobby Kennedy as replacement House Speaker, at Acting President McCormack's urging: the spot is open and they technically doen't have to choose a House member, they could pick Captain Kangaroo if they want.

[ then Acting President McCormack could resign, making RFK Acting President, and freeing himself to return as House Speaker. ]
@Geon McCormack would have to run in a special election to become a member of Congress once more as he ceased to be a congressman the moment he became President.

Chapter Three: Interregnum

Geon

Donor
Chapter 3: Interregnum​

For the next four days the nation mourned.

On Saturday the body of the late President was moved from the White House to lie in state beneath the Capitol Rotunda in Washington. There it would remain viewed by the public. Thousands would pass by the flag-draped casket as millions watched the event on television. Then on Monday, it was drawn in a solemn procession through the streets of Washington, D.C. to the Cathedral of St. Matthew for the solemn funeral Mass. Then another solemn procession to Arlington National Cemetery where the President would be buried with the honors due a head of state.

On Tuesday, the 27th, in Austin Texas a funeral service was held at the largest Baptist church in the city. Vice-President Johnson’s remains would be interred in a local cemetery until a more permanent location for his remains was built nearer to his home. Robert Kennedy would represent both the Kennedy family and the government at this event.

On Wednesday, November 28th an emotionally worn-out Kennedy would attend one last private service in Washington. Namely the funerary Mass for Kenneth O’Donnell, his brother’s advisor and friend. All f these events were of course covered by the media.

In the meantime, at the orders of J. Edgar Hoover F.B.I. agents were arriving in Dallas to supplement the existing contingent already there. Over the weekend and into the new week the agents began to interview Dr. Earl Rose, Police Chief Jesse Curry, and all the police officers who were involved in the Air Force One incident. In addition, the agents attempted to collect every known piece of film or photographic evidence the press or private individuals might have on the assassination. One of the agents even went on local television and through an interview with a local reporter asked anyone who might have any such photos or film to come forward to aid in the investigation.

In addition, in Washington, a small army of F.B.I. agents proceeded to interrogate every Secret Service Agent who had been in Dallas that day. All under the more or less disapproving eye of the Head of the Secret Service, James Rowley.

Meantime, a team of F.B.I. agents were interrogating Lee Harvey Oswald, who at this point was being singularly uncooperative. Oswald constantly asked for a lawyer to defend him before he would speak to anyone.

The days of mourning came to an end. But the days of reckoning were just starting.

Last edited:
Meantime, a team of F.B.I. agents were interrogating Lee Harvey Oswald, who at this point was being singularly uncooperative. Oswald constantly asked for a lawyer to defend him before he would speak to anyone.
I wonder if Oswald will get subject to more brutal interrogation techniques. It is his absolute right to say nothing, and have a lawyer present. I may have been rooting for Hoover, but I hope he doesn't go too far.

Last edited:

Quig

Banned
@Geon Both RFK and JEH think that there is a conspiracy. They are both desperate to expose the conspirators. Oswald's rights won't factor too high for either man.

Oswald could request an attorney but not get one in a timely manner. Miranda's court case wasn't decided by the Supreme Court until 1966 so you were not covered by the Miranda warning until then. You could see Kennedy offering him an attorney to help him, it would be someone who was a friend of him to "protect his interests" in this and help them discover what happened.

In Dallas 1963, the resident FBI agents were Gordon Shanklin and James Hosty. You can bet J. Edgar will throw both of them under the bus and run over them as many times as necessary!

Chapter Four: Storms in Dallas and Washington

Geon

Donor
@arrowiv thank you for the info! You'll note I integrated it into the next chapter.

Chapter 4: Stormy Days Ahead​

Dallas, Texas; F.B.I. Offices: 11:00 a.m. (CST), November 29, 1963:

At 11:00 a.m. J. Edgar Hoover, who had arrived in Dallas barely two hours ago entered the regional offices of the F.B.I. in Dallas.

Waiting for him were Gordon Shanklin and James Hosty, the two resident F.B.I. agents assigned to Dallas. How long that position would continue was contingent on what Hoover learned from them at this meeting.

In Hoover’s mind if this was a conspiracy the F.B.I. should have caught wind of it early on. The fact that there were no warning signs of any type before the fatal events of a week ago made the F.B.I. look bad. And this in the sight of a new president and the attorney general and brother of the late President who were demanding answers – loudly.

Hoover knew that his own career might well be on the line if he couldn’t come up with those answers.

Now Hoover sat at a desk in the Dallas office of the F.B.I. What he learned here could determine the futures of many in the agency, himself included.

“All right,” Hoover declared. “Let’s get started. First off, what have you learned about Oswald in addition to what we already have on him?”

Agent Hosty spoke up first. “We put out a request for information on the man to all the offices around the country. We did get one interesting piece of information. Evidently the New Orleans office reports that Oswald lived there for a time before moving to Dallas. He was involved with or started a group known as ‘Fair Play for Cuba’. They report that while he was in New Orleans, he distributed pamphlets demanding the U.S. normalize relationships with Cuba and stop persecuting the Cuban people and leadership. We’re working with the New Orleans Office investigating just how many may be members of this ‘Fair Play for Cuba group. So far, we have no evidence that there are any other members then Oswald in it.”

“Any sign that he’s contacted any of the Russian agents real or suspected we have under surveillance?” Hoover asked. “No sir, but we’re still looking into that, admitted Agent Hosty. “So far, nothing.”

Hoover nodded. He wasn’t totally satisfied with the answers but at least it seemed the two agents had dug up some additional information that could prove useful.

“What about the Dallas Police Officers on Air Force One?” He demanded. Here Gordon Shanklin handed Hoover another folder. “Here are the transcripts and notes from our preliminary interviews with the officers” Shanklin then handed a second folder to Hoover. “And here are the personnel files we have on both Dr. Earl Rose and the officers who boarded Air Force One.”

As Hoover skimmed through the various reports Shanklin anticipated his next question. “As far as we can tell one of the officers is a member of the John Birch Society, while one of the others has a relative who may, I emphasize may have Klan connections. We’re in the process of trying to verify that piece of information now.”

Hoover looked over the files paying particular attention to the one of the officer with the John Birch membership. “According to this he hasn’t attended a meeting in the last two years and is not on their active membership list.” Shanklin replied, “Yes sir. We verified that with the local John Birch society. The man is on their inactive membership list and has been for over two years now.”

After a few more moments looking at the files Hoover turned his attention back to the transcripts. “Okay, sum up the preliminary interviews for me.”

James Hosty replied. “Mr. Hoover, honestly, I think we’re looking at sone sort of cover-up. All the officers in the transcripts seem to say the exact same thing paralleling the statement that they put out right after the shooting. If you look them over, you’ll find there’s hardly any deviation in any of the accounts. That’s a warning sign to me these guys have been coached.”

Hoover nodded again. After a moment of glancing through the transcripts he replied. “Maybe they have been coached or maybe they actually are telling the truth.” And there was clearly doubt in Hoover’s voice when he said this. “We need to bring them all in one by one starting with Dr. Rose and question them each individually.

After another moment skimming through the transcripts Hoover continued. “I’ll read through these files and transcripts in more detail later. Right now, let’s see about getting Dr. Rose and these other officers in here to interview them. Washington is going to want answers and I will provide them come hell or high water!”

Washington, D.C.; The White House, Oval Office; 10:00 a.m. (EST):

In the oval office President McCormack was having a spirited discussion with Senator Hubert Humphrey and his former congressional aide and now potential chief of staff.

“I know there is no procedure for a President to appoint a Vice President under the Constitution Hubert. But honestly, I don’t think the Founding Fathers ever anticipated a screw up like what happened a week ago.”

Hubert Humphrey said, “Mr. President I agree with you. But this is not the time to be setting a precedent. The best I can recommend is to keep the office vacant until the election next year. If something happens to you, God forbid, then the next Speaker of the House can take the position if necessary.”

President McCormack shook his head. “Not good enough Hubert. The country needs to know it has a firm hand at the wheel. Quite honestly, I’m concerned that mine isn’t the firmest at this time. As I told Bobby I am concerned that my health might not hold out to the middle of January 1965. We need to have someone in the second seat who is a lot healthier and stronger than me.”

President McCormack continued. “That’s why I want Bobby Kennedy to be Vice-President. As I told him right now, we need to show the country there is at least one firm hand running the country. And if that hand is a Kennedy all the better. I know there is no legal precedent for this, but I am prepared to invoke executive privilege and take this all the way to Earl Warren if I have to,” McCormack concluded.

Last edited:
Just caught up with this excellent story, and I plan to follow it. Also looks like the latest post is missing a threadmark.