Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

At first I was taken aback by Wallace backing out but it makes sense. He's a classic opportunistic politician, he probably figures helping to burn down the South won't help his prospects.

At first I was taken aback by Wallace backing out but it makes sense. He's a classic opportunistic politician, he probably figures helping to burn down the South won't help his prospects.
He is an opportunist, but even most opportunists have a consceince on some level, and there's a time many will sacrifice ambition when the carnage gets too close to home.

I wonder how Lester Maddox did during the riots in Georgia? IOTL he refused to serve black patrons of his restaurant in ‘64, and threatened them with a pickaxe handle. Ultimately closing it rather than allow blacks to enter by law. None of this hurt his being elected as governor in ‘67.

ric350

I wonder if a Draft Wallace movement will happen if he successfully defuses the "race bomb" before the conventions.

I wonder how Lester Maddox did during the riots in Georgia? IOTL he refused to serve black patrons of his restaurant in ‘64, and threatened them with a pickaxe handle. Ultimately closing it rather than allow blacks to enter by law. None of this hurt his being elected as governor in ‘67.

ric350
It might hurt his chances in this timeline, but then again, he might not choose to run... or he might have been killed in the riots. That's absolutely possible unless the author says otherwise.

Geon

Donor
Announcement:

I haven't stopped writing but due to several health-related problems I have to put this story on hold. Nothing serious, just a lot of little things (i.e. cataracts) that need to be taken care of. I hope to come back to it soon.

Announcement:

I haven't stopped writing but due to several health-related problems I have to put this story on hold. Nothing serious, just a lot of little things (i.e. cataracts) that need to be taken care of. I hope to come back to it soon.
Real life health comes before this.
Hope you feel better soon.

Announcement:

Get well soon! We can wait.

Announcement:

Get well Geon !

Nothing serious, just a lot of little things (i.e. cataracts) that need to be taken care of. I hope to come back to it soon.
Mom had cataracts, and while she was having that dealt with, she also had her eyes fixed so she no longer needed glasses for distance vision. I hope there is a silver lining there for you as well. Or better yet, a mithril lining

Announcement:

Best wishes, Geon. I hope after your recovery, the cataract surgery has as positive an oucome as mine did.

Geon

Donor
Thanks for all the well wishes!:) My right eye is on the mend., and hopefully my second cataract surgery next week will go well. Then I can start back to writing maybe in March.

A few things I did want to mention. The Kennedy-trapeze section: The Flying Alexanders and Bobby Yerkes were not fictional creations. They were an actual trapeze team who performed across the U.S. for years.

Also, Bbone noted the following.
I think the idea behind the forgiveness is to show that, unlike the Freedom Army, Minnie May and her church are willing to extend forgiveness to those who ask for it, and refuse to stoop to 'An Eye for an Eye'. Though I think Robert should count his lucky stars that he was actually SORRY. I think they'd be a little more stern with someone who simply said 'Sorry' after bombing the church in the most dry tone possible.
Yes, Robert should be grateful for the kindness of the people at Grace Baptist Church.

With regard to others thinking they'll get a slap on the wrist if they try the same stunt, I will simply say this. The riots have started a major change in thinking among many in the South. Many are reevaluating things in light of the death and destruction recently caused. Robert was fortunate he was genuinely repentant of what he had done and had good people who wanted justice but not vengeance praying for him and petitioning the court for him. That won't always be the case everywhere. Southern judges are going to be under pressure to issue harsher sentences against such crimes in the future.

And he would make it his business to ensure that somehow this “race bomb” as he would later call it would be diffused throughout the south.
I think you mean 'defused', as diffused means spread about.
EDIT: Oh and get better! Yes, RL comes first!