Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Chapter Twenty One: Thoughts and Perspectives (part one)

Geon

Donor
Chapter Twenty-One: Thoughts and Perspectives:​

As the year 1963 came to an end, for three men, looking back on their actions of the past year there was much to consider. In the year to come many of their decisions would influence not just themselves but the whole nation.

John Connally:

November 22, 1963 would haunt John Connally to the day he died. And it was not just because of the pain of his wounds, or the haunting nightmares he had of that day, but the political consequences brought on by what happened both in the motorcade and later on Air Force One.

At the start of November there was little or no question how Texas would vote in the November election next year. Kennedy, the charismatic president, and Johnson, a son of Texas, were practically assured a win come November. The trip to Texas in late November had simply been to shore up support and encourage the President’s supporters.

All of that had come crashing down come November 22nd. Although it didn’t seem so at first. Sympathy for both J.F.K. an L.B.J. seemed to promise that whoever ran in ’64 on the Democratic ticket would most likely win the presidency.

But things had quickly changed in the past month. The botched investigation by the DPD of what happened, the growing anger in Washington, the rumors of a possible coverup and finally the mass arrest of twenty-five Dallas police officers including the chief of police had radically altered the situation

Texas was very much a law-and-order state. For the most part the people of Texas supported their local police departments. To have Washington send the F.B.I. in and arrest over two dozen members of the Dallas Police force smacked of interference by the Federal government. And Texans did not appreciate that one bit!

The release of ten of the two dozen officers on insufficient evidence had helped cool tempers somewhat. But fire/police unions in every major city of Texas were still threatening a walk-out if the remaining officers went to trial.

The sympathy factor which had been strong at the end of November was fast waning considering the arrests and threat of potential police strikes. The fact that the arrests were ordered by the Attorney General, Robert Kennedy, were seen more and more by some as revenge for the death of his brother. The Kennedy name was becoming less and less popular in Texas.

And that meant trouble for Connally. If he were honest with himself, he had been thinking of a presidential run practically from the moment he had gotten out of the hospital. Someone had to pick up the torch and Connally had initially hoped that sympathy for the death of a favorite son of Texas (Johnson) would be a real advantage to him.

George Wallace’s announcement of his candidacy had forced Connally’s hand. He was not going to allow Wallace to grab the nomination. A Wallace presidency to his mind would be a disaster both for the Democratic party and for the nation.

But a Wallace nomination seemed more likely now given the changing political climate. If Connally couldn’t prevent a strike by the police and fire departments in every major Texas city, he would be seen as weak. But, if Connally cracked down, as some were advising him to do, by firing strikers and sending in the National Guard, then he would be seen as harsh and authoritarian. Either way his candidacy would be dead before it even started.

Connally knew he needed to act quickly if he were to save his campaign. First, he had scheduled a meeting with President McCormack early in January. He had requested that the Attorney General also be present.

Second, he also had scheduled a conference with the leaders of the respective police/fire unions who were threatening to strike. Perhaps some compromise or agreement could be reached without the threat of draconian measures.

For Connally January might well be a make-or-break month.

George Wallace:

If Governor George Wallace were asked, he would state reluctantly perhaps that yes, he was a political opportunist. The deaths of both President Kennedy and Vice President Johnson had opened a door Wallace did not think would be opened to him until ’68.

His own campaign had gotten off to a good start. Given the situation in Texas most early polls had shown Wallace a clear leader in most southern states.

But the Grace Baptist Church bombing as well as the arson attack on the Woolworth’s in Selma had thrown a monkey wrench into what had so far been a successful campaign.

Wallace had billed himself as a law-and-order candidate. But a church bombing worse than the Birmingham incident earlier in the year was a serious threat to that claim.

Governor Wallace did not consider himself a racist. When he had been a judge, he had tried to treat everyone regardless of race as equal. It was noted for instance that he referred to any black people in his court courteously for the most part calling them sir or ma’am.

But the game of politics required compromise with one’s own personal beliefs at times. Wallace had learned that if you didn’t at least appear to be giving the majority what they wanted you could forget ever being elected anytime anywhere to any office.

And so, Wallace had played the race card throughout his candidacy for governor. And that meant he had to stand by his promises once he became governor.

But, more and more, Wallace’s conscience was bothering him.

The deaths of four little girls in Birmingham earlier in the year, who had simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the deaths of seven people at Grace Baptist Church, had weighed on him. What was he willing to pay to sit in the White House?

The bombing at Grace Baptist convinced Wallace that if he was to remain a credible candidate and be able to look himself in the mirror each morning, he needed to act. He had already ordered a full investigation launched into the bombing and had made it clear to the local attorney general’s office that he expected them to seek the maximum penalty for those responsible.

The bombing had also made Wallace realize that he needed to start a dialogue with the one man who might be able to help him keep the present situation under control.

His secret meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had been a pleasant surprise. Dr. King was clearly an idealist, but he understood what was possible and what was not.

Wallace knew he could not, at present, drop his opposition to desegregation of schools and keep his base of voters in Alabama. Perhaps given time, and Dr. King’s efforts that would change, but for now he had to stick by his statement of ‘segregation now and forever’.

But there might be some ways to work around that. Dr. King was scheduled to lead a march in Selma to support the Woolworth’s manager who had broken ranks with other businesses and seated black people at the lunch counter. Wallace decided he needed to go to Selma first to speak personally with the police chief there and second to arrange another secret meeting with Dr. King.

Last edited:
The release of ten of the two dozen officers on insufficient evidence had helped cool tempers somewhat. But fire/police unions in every major city of Texas were still threatening a walk-out if the remaining officers went to trial.
You're f***ing kidding me! Istg I'll lose a gasket if they strike!

Secretly I am hoping for a George Wallace administration in 1965 as I genuinely enjoy your writing style and haven't seen anyone make a decent President Wallace timeline with such great world building (I know there's A Nixed Result but that one only ended after Wallace took the oath of office after winning the 1964 election and didn't go much deeper than that).

You're f***ing kidding me! Istg I'll lose a gasket if they strike!
Nah, have the local business leaders tell the strike leaders in Dallas to sit down and shut the fuck up. Dallas has been in the press a lot because of their messups, and adding to it by threatening a strike over a trial is costing them money.

Which they will happily decide needs to go to PR campaigns asking just why Dallas PD is against accountability. Or non union friendly politicans in Dallas. And so on.

Chapter Twenty One: Thoughts and Perspectives (part two)

Geon

Donor
Robert F. Kennedy:

For Bobby Kennedy this past month had been the toughest month of his life.

Dealing with his brother’s murder was bad enough, but the possibility that it might be part of a greater plot against the government sent shivers down his spine.

Bobby had vowed to bring both his brother’s killer and those who had killed Johnson to justice. Granted, the Johnsons and the Kennedys had never been on the most cordial of terms, but his brother and Johnson had developed a tolerable working relationship. Plus, Bobby felt he owed it both to Jackie and to Lady Byrd to find and bring to justice the ones responsible for the deaths of their husbands.

He had been gratified at the arrests of Oswald and the Dallas Police officers. And he was also secretly glad that the Secret Service was ‘coming clean’ about their role in the whole fracas.

But as the year wound down Bobby had time to look at what he was doing. And he realized that it was time to step back.

He was too close to the whole affair. Defense attorneys for both Oswald and the Dallas Police had hinted that there was a case to be made for conflict of interest here.

Kennedy had to admit that he had allowed his emotions to rule his actions at times during the last month. He was too close to things. He needed to distance himself from this whole affair.

Now that he had the chance to really review the known facts – such as they were – he realized his early concerns about some conspiracy were, for the moment, not borne out.

The preliminary reports so far pointed to Oswald as the lone gun man in the assassination. Kennedy still had his doubts that Oswald had acted alone. But as he would later write in an article for Newsweek commenting on the Warren Report in 1966:

“The fact that one lone gun man, one purely evil individual has the power to change the course of history so completely is something we want to shy away from. We want to believe such a thing is not possible. For most of us it is easier to believe that there was some sinister conspiracy behind such a thing. A conspiracy of many evil men is much easier for us to accept then the idea of one evil man.”​

As for the death of Vice President Johnson, more and more Kennedy was convinced what happened aboard Air Force One was a comedy of errors both by the Dallas Police Department and the Secret Service. Still, that didn’t excuse any of those involved. There would have to be an accounting here.

However, given the situation in Dallas, and the shaky ground Governor Connally was now on politically Kennedy felt he needed to do what he could to help the Governor recover some of his support. Robert had sent a list of ten more of the arrested officers to the F.B.I. in Dallas indicating he was releasing them for insufficient evidence. That would leave just the five officers on the plane (one of whom was still on the run) and the Chief of Police to face trial. Hopefully this would calm things down in Texas for Connally.

For Kennedy the next year could not pass quickly enough. Like President McCormack he would be counting the days until January 20th 1965.

Kennedy knew there were many who wanted him to run with Connally, a Connally/Kennedy ticket would be reminiscent of the Kennedy/Johnson ticket of 1960.

But Bobby’s wife Ethel, was having nothing of it. “First Joe, Jr. now Jack. Isn’t that enough,” she had pleaded with him? Ethel wasn’t the superstitious type, but for her the idea of the so-called Kennedy Curse struck too close to home with Jack’s death.

Bobby had noticed that when they said good night or during intimate moments between them since Jack’s death there had been a ferocity in her hugs, as if she were trying to ward off the same specter that had claimed both Joe, Jr. and Jack.

And, truth be told, Bobby felt he needed to reconnect with Ethel and his family. To the Kennedys family always came first. And Bobby knew he had been neglecting his over the past month. That would change. For the short term, he was going to appoint an independent prosecutor both for the Oswald case and the Dallas Police investigations and trials.

As for the long term, once January 20, 1965 rolled around he intended to take time to be with his family. He had told Ethel. “Two words will describe this family after January, 1965, ‘having fun’”!

Last edited:
i had a thought, if that would happen i could see several heads explode in the south (both black and white)
A Wallace/King ticket

Last edited:
"hat would leave just the five officers on the plane (one of whom was still on the run) and the Chief of Police to face trial." - Good move. That should take the heat out of it, esp since its obvious its just the folks on the plane still in custody now.

"For the short term, he was going to appoint an independent prosecutor both for the Oswald case and the Dallas Police investigations and trials." - wise move. Step back let others handle it. Will be better for your mental health. Plus, there must be a lot of other stuff on your desk right now...

Great couple of chapters!

Wallace/King ticket? I cannot see King agreeing to it without Wallace dropping a lot of the segregation stuff.

I've been reading about the Robert Kennedy assassination and the motives of his assassin Sirhan Sirhan, the official take is that he did it due to Robert's support of Israel during the Six-Day War, he publicly pledged to send military aid as President to Israel. But there were other motives sited and there are also conspiracy theories attached to him. I think this has all be butterflied, well maybe not the continued Israel/Arab conflicts in the 60's but, the assassination of Robert Kennedy.

BUT, Sirhan is a possible assassin for an American politician in the near future (the late 60's most likely though).

In an unrelated topic, I've also been looking at the Republican primaries for the upcoming election, if Barry Goldwater gets the nomination like in RL, then the Republican Party will be seen as having chosen the 'extremist' (for his era) and drive out the moderates from the GOP. But if George Wallace has the Democrat nomination and he hasn't been able to shake off his own 'extremist' associations then could we see a strong third-party candidate emerge as a 'moderate' choice?

I've been reading about the Robert Kennedy assassination and the motives of his assassin Sirhan Sirhan, the official take is that he did it due to Robert's support of Israel during the Six-Day War, he publicly pledged to send military aid as President to Israel. But there were other motives sited and there are also conspiracy theories attached to him. I think this has all be butterflied, well maybe not the continued Israel/Arab conflicts in the 60's but, the assassination of Robert Kennedy.

BUT, Sirhan is a possible assassin for an American politician in the near future (the late 60's most likely though).

In an unrelated topic, I've also been looking at the Republican primaries for the upcoming election, if Barry Goldwater gets the nomination like in RL, then the Republican Party will be seen as having chosen the 'extremist' (for his era) and drive out the moderates from the GOP. But if George Wallace has the Democrat nomination and he hasn't been able to shake off his own 'extremist' associations then could we see a strong third-party candidate emerge as a 'moderate' choice?
A Humphrey/Kennedy Progressive Party ticket like in A Nixed Result! They try to deadlock the electoral college and get Goldwater (or whoever the Republican nominee is) to agree to a Civil Rights Act during his term in exchange for throwing their support behind him.

i had a thought, if that would happen i could see several heads explode in the south (both black and white)
A Wallace/King ticket

Sounds like a great way to get them both assassinated, too.

A Humphrey/Kennedy Progressive Party ticket.

Well, Ted's still too young and sounds like Robert's not interested.... Maybe Connally/Humphrey?

Sounds like a great way to get them both assassinated, too.

Well, Ted's still too young and sounds like Robert's not interested.... Maybe Connally/Humphrey?
Was meaning Robert. There is still time. If the worse comes to worse I'm sure Edith will allow for Bobby to accept the role of running mate in order to save the country from Wallace.

Not confirmed to be bona-fide, but I've read JFK was deeply concerned about George Romney running in 1964. Other than him, I'd say Scranton or Lodge would be ideal moderate GOP candidates.

Geon

Donor
Hints of Things to Come:

Here are a few hints of ideas I have for this TL. Note, I will be approaching this in two parts. This is part one which will go through inauguration day 1965. The second part will go up to the present day - hopefully.

But here are some things to expect for the future.

• A major international crisis almost on the level of the Cuban Missile Crisis in '64.
  • Major butterflies will mean a far different 1968 in a number of ways. One hint you already have, no King assassination. And @Shiva congratulations! You guessed one of the other changes. Whether that means Kennedy will successfully run or not I'm not saying!
  • Finally, some of you already know about this in a PM earlier but expect the cover of People magazine to read "Sexiest presidential candidate ever" come the year 2000.
Consider these hints a big thank you for all of the critiques and comments you have sent my way!

Hints of Things to Come:

Here are a few hints of ideas I have for this TL. Note, I will be approaching this in two parts. This is part one which will go through inauguration day 1965. The second part will go up to the present day - hopefully.

But here are some things to expect for the future.

• A major international crisis almost on the level of the Cuban Missile Crisis in '64.
  • Major butterflies will mean a far different 1968 in a number of ways. One hint you already have, no King assassination. And @Shiva congratulations! You guessed one of the other changes. Whether that means Kennedy will successfully run or not I'm not saying!
  • Finally, some of you already know about this in a PM earlier but expect the cover of People magazine to read "Sexiest presidential candidate ever" come the year 2000.
Consider these hints a big thank you for all of the critiques and comments you have sent my way!
So I guess that means we will see Wallace and Goldwater snag their respective party's nomination and will force a third-party candidacy as the only moderate or progressive candidate in the race, whether that will be John Connally, Robert F. Kennedy, or Hubert Humphrey we have no idea. I personally think a Connally/Kennedy ticket is the most likely.

Chapter Twenty Two: Crisis Management

Geon

Donor
Chapter Twenty-Two: Crisis Management​

Dallas, Texas, the Mayor’s Office, January 6, 1964; 3:15 p.m.:

Mayor Earl Cabell was once again meeting with the head of the Dallas Police and Fire Department Union. All their meetings throughout the month of December had stayed cordial. But the union had held firm. If the 25 Dallas police officers went on trial the Dallas Police Department would strike. And if the Dallas police and fire departments struck then so would most of the police/fire unions in the rest of Texas. Governor Connally had made it clear that would not be a good thing for the mayor’s political future if that happened.

Now however there seemed room to hope. The news that twenty of the twenty-five officers were being released was good news to the union. In addition, the union representative had told the mayor an internal investigation had begun in the Dallas Police force. “There’s clear evidence that Chief Curry was trying to initiate a cover-up. We’re looking into that now.”

“So, does this mean, you won’t be striking come trial day,” the mayor asked hopefully?

The union representative nodded. “The union had a meeting last night and voted. We want to make it clear we put the public’s safety first. If all 25 had gone on trial, then yes, we would have gone on strike. But, given that the five remaining officers and Chief Curry may have acted either irresponsibly, carelessly, or just plain panicked we’re not going to go off our jobs for this. You can relax mister mayor. The DPD will be on the job come trial day, at least most of us will.”

“Most of you,” the mayor asked, knowing he wouldn’t like the answer?

“There are a handful of officers who still feel these officers are being used as scapegoats and have threatened to do a walk-out come trial day. If they do I assure you that they will not have the support of the union.”

“How many are we talking about here,” the mayor inquired. “No more I would say then about 10 or 11 officers,” replied the representative. “It shouldn’t substantially affect police protection that day.”

The mayor smiled and silently made a note to send up an extra prayer of thanks in church that Sunday for an averted crisis.

Last edited:
"But, given that the five remaining officers and Chief Curry may have acted either irresponsibly, carelessly, or just plain panicked we’re not going to go off our jobs for this." - Phew, that will come as a relief all the way up to the White House.

One hope the trials will be swift and transparent.

Did they film (not broadcast) trials back then?