Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Chapter Twelve (contd.) Politics in Austin

Geon

Donor
Following the conversation with Mayor Cabell, Governor John Connally first poured himself a drink then called in Preston Smith, Lieutenant Governor, and John’s campaign manager. After reviewing the conversation that he had just had with Mayor Cabell he asked, “So, how does this affect us? It seems to me we are stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.”

Preston Smith nodded. “If the police and fire departments strike then we will have to send National Guard troops in to maintain order. If we do that then we can kiss Dallas goodbye and possibly the rest of Texas. On the other hand, if we come down on the side of the union then we will lose any support from Kennedy and that could hurt us badly come the convention.

“R.F.K. isn’t his older brother. But his voice will still count come primary time, especially in the northeastern states. If we can’t make a strong showing there, we can forget about the nomination,” concluded Smith.

Connally nodded. “Wallace has already scored some major points with how quickly his state police apprehended the men behind that church bombing. Even though we both know it was Dr. King who was chiefly responsible Wallace is taking a lot of credit for this.” Connally shook his head. “If we don’t find a way to diffuse this situation, we could be looking at Wallace taking the South, including Texas. And we both know what that means.

“Which means,” said Preston, “that you need to get on that phone with Kennedy and see if we can’t find a way to work some deal that will allow you to walk away from this without smelling to high heaven. You need to remind Mr. Kennedy that if Wallace is nominated or has enough votes to stall the nomination then any chance of passing any civil rights legislation goes down the tubes at least for the next four years.”

Governor Connally nodded in agreement. Then he reached for the phone to dial Washington.

Last edited:

Ramontxo

Donor
I have write this before. With the President being killed in a Dallas street. With the Vice-President being killed in the Airforce One by an Dallas Police Officer (and Washington having proof of it) the question is not what is the Dallas Police going to do. The question is what the, overwhelming, anger in the North, West, Midwest, Pacific etc States is going to force the Washington DC executive to do. And IMHO it is going to be "Shermanesque"

Chapter Twelve (contd.) Politics and a Twist!

Geon

Donor
Washington, D.C. Attorney General’s Office, 1:50 p.m. E.S.T.:

Kennedy listened patiently to Governor Connally over the next fifteen minutes as the Governor outlined his predicament.

Then Kennedy patiently explained, “John, I know this puts you in a bad situation, but honestly right now I don’t see anything we can do that won’t be seen in a negative light up here. I don’t know if you’ve been paying much attention, but the northern press is demanding an investigation of what they are calling a “southern good-ole boy network in Dallas. Papers from the New York Times to the Cleveland Plain Dealer to the Chicago Tribune are demanding federal investigation of the Dallas Police Department. If we can’t come up with answers for them, we’ll be hurt just as bad come election time in general as a police strike in Dallas would hurt you in particular.”

“I understand that Mr. Attorney General, but if the strike occurs and I must send the Guard into Dallas that is going to play into the hands of kooks on both sides of the political fence. And it’s unlikely the folks in Dallas will ever forgive me, in which case, like it or not, the Convention in Atlantic City is going to have to deal with a strong Wallace presence perhaps even a Wallace nomination” Governor Connally replied.

“And that would likely be a disaster for us,” agreed Kennedy. “Look John, I haven’t endorsed anyone yet, but my brother liked you. I’ll do what I can to try and calm the waters here but there needs to be justice for both my brother, for Lyndon Johnson, and Ken O’Donnell. We can’t just let what happened in Dallas slide.”

After a moment Kennedy said, “Let’s let this Christmas season go by and hope for a cooling down period in Dallas. I’ll talk with Mayor Cabell and see if we can find some way to calm things down there without compromising and making promises we know we won’t be able to keep. I promise you I will keep you up to date with what’s happening.”

Connally wasn’t happy with what he was hearing but he could only push so hard. So, he thanked the Attorney General and said goodbye.

No sooner had Kennedy hung up the phone then his aide, Edwin Guthman came in with his face white. In his hand he held a folder. “We have a new problem,” Guthman said. “The F.B.I. lab just got back to us with an update on the trajectories of the bullets that struck Johnson, O’Donnell and two of the DPD officers. And worse, the coroner who conducted the autopsies on Johnson and O’Donnell confirmed it. At least three of the bullets that hit Johnson and O’Donnell came from one of the Secret Service agents’ guns.”

Kennedy felt a headache coming on.

Last edited:
No police or fire department would hardly be fair on the people of Dallas.
And that is purely on the police and fire departments of Dallas.

One thing I can see he Dallas cops doing: If a fed is so much as looking like he might be speeding: ticket. Pulled over for headlight out, even if it isnt. Arrests for "loitering." When a police department declares open season on a particular group, they can make its life miserable.

I've heard of times in New England when the sheriff's department and the town cops got into it. The sherrif and his men WILL lose. The same thing can happen in disputes between campus police and town cops, and similar confrontations. So police ticketing and towing federal vehicles is easily in play, even if there's no official policy.

Serious escalation is possible.

The problem is that, right now, the Dallas cops have an ORGANIZED cover up, and are doing the usual game of "No cop must ever go to trial." (I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas disestablished--not just the cops, but the city.

Mark1878

Donor
The problem is that, right now, the Dallas cops have an ORGANIZED cover up, and are doing the usual game of "No cop must ever go to trial." (I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas disestablished--not just the cops, but the city.
However that might be outweighed by the Secret Service also seeming to be organizing a coverup.

However that might be outweighed by the Secret Service also seeming to be organizing a coverup.
Robert Kennedy might release the reports, allowing a clean, fair investigation to at least be possible. He wants whoever was responsible, bad. Not just whoever pulled the trigger, but a top down cleaning out. IMVHO, if the Secret Service was partly responsible, he'll out them, try anyone responsible.
Hoover stands to gain a LOT, if both the Secret Service and Dallas PD are sen as bad, while te FBI comes out as the clean cut heroes that turned over every rock necessary.

Yeah, if the DPD is being tried alongside the Secret Service, that should calm down a lot of the more moderate people as it's clear the Feds aren't playing favorites at that point.

I understand that Mr. Attorney General, but if the strike occurs and I must send the Guard into Dallas that is going to play into the hands of kooks on both sides of the political fence. And it’s unlikely the folks in Dallas will ever forgive me, in which case, like it or not, the Convention in Atlantic City is going to have to deal with a strong Wallace presence perhaps even a Wallace nomination” Governor Wallace replied.
I think you meant to say Governor Connally replied unless Wallace somehow managed to end up on another line of the phone call.

And that is purely on the police and fire departments of Dallas.

One thing I can see he Dallas cops doing: If a fed is so much as looking like he might be speeding: ticket. Pulled over for headlight out, even if it isnt. Arrests for "loitering." When a police department declares open season on a particular group, they can make its life miserable.

I've heard of times in New England when the sheriff's department and the town cops got into it. The sherrif and his men WILL lose. The same thing can happen in disputes between campus police and town cops, and similar confrontations. So police ticketing and towing federal vehicles is easily in play, even if there's no official policy.

Serious escalation is possible.

That would be crazy to disestablish the entire city of Dallas! Political suicide on the part of Connally!

No sooner had Kennedy hung up the phone then his aide, Edwin Guthman came in with his face white. In his hand he held a folder. “We have a new problem,” Guthman said. “The F.B.I. lab just got back to us with an update on the trajectories of the bullets that struck Johnson, O’Donnell and two of the DPD officers. And worse, the coroner who conducted the autopsies on Johnson and O’Donnell confirmed it. At least three of the bullets that hit Johnson and O’Donnell came from one of the Secret Service agents’ guns.”

Kennedy felt a headache coming on.
Robert Kennedy might release the reports, allowing a clean, fair investigation to at least be possible. He wants whoever was responsible, bad. Not just whoever pulled the trigger, but a top down cleaning out. IMVHO, if the Secret Service was partly responsible, he'll out them, try anyone responsible.
Hoover stands to gain a LOT, if both the Secret Service and Dallas PD are sen as bad, while te FBI comes out as the clean cut heroes that turned over every rock necessary.
I wonder if RFK will try to get President McCormack to sign an executive order to replace the Secret Service with U.S. Marshalls like JFK did in Bryce Zabel's Surrounded by Enemies.

My guess for the Democratic Party Nominees in 1964 as of now will be RFK for President and Connally for Vice President. Maybe Wallace runs an early Third Party Campaign as well with Texas being a battleground state.

My guess for the Democratic Party Nominees in 1964 as of now will be RFK for President and Connally for Vice President. Maybe Wallace runs an early Third Party Campaign as well with Texas being a battleground state.
That would be the best shot for the Dems atm. Too bad RFK already said he's gonna take some time with his family before deciding upon '68. 😔

That would be the best shot for the Dems atm. Too bad RFK already said he's gonna take some time with his family before deciding upon '68. 😔
The thing that could have RFK run in 1964 is if Wallace appears to be leading in the early polls. Seeing this McCormack could pressure him into running knowing that Wallace would lose if he won the nomination. I could see RFK managing to gain support and getting say third place in the Presidential Primaries behind Wallace and Connally. Then at the National Convention Wallace is able to get first place on the first ballot with RFK in second and Connally in third. Seeing that Wallace could win the nomination Connally approaches RFK with a deal that he will endorse him if he later endorses him in return for the Vice Presidential Nomination. RFK decides that he needs time to think it over but after Wallace gains more votes on the second ballot after several lesser candidates pull out he agrees and Connally endorses him just in time for the third ballot and RFK is nominated for the presidency. The next day Connally wins the nomination for the vice presidency after RFK endorses him and then we could have Wallace complaining stating that it is 1960 all over again.

The thing that could have RFK run in 1964 is if Wallace appears to be leading in the early polls. Seeing this McCormack could pressure him into running knowing that Wallace would lose if he won the nomination. I could see RFK managing to gain support and getting say third place in the Presidential Primaries behind Wallace and Connally. Then at the National Convention Wallace is able to get first place on the first ballot with RFK in second and Connally in third. Seeing that Wallace could win the nomination Connally approaches RFK with a deal that he will endorse him if he later endorses him in return for the Vice Presidential Nomination. RFK decides that he needs time to think it over but after Wallace gains more votes on the second ballot after several lesser candidates pull out he agrees and Connally endorses him just in time for the third ballot and RFK is nominated for the presidency. The next day Connally wins the nomination for the vice presidency after RFK endorses him and then we could have Wallace complaining stating that it is 1960 all over again.
Hmm, seems plausible enough. Perhaps a similar thing could happen if RFK sits out of the race until the DNC and after Wallace leads on the first ballot RFK is drafted as a dark horse candidate for the nomination and Connally's agreement to endorse RFK in exchange for a spot on the ticket.

Last edited:
I could definitely see Wallace running as an Independent four years early (I know he ran as the American Independent Party nominee in 1968 after forming the party in 1967 IOTL but there's not a lot of time to form an entire political party between August and November), probably with Ross Barnett, Governor of Mississippi, or Happy Chandler, former Governor of Kentucky and MLB Commissioner. Chandler would be the best choice imo as he probably was in 1968 until he got rejected by Wallace's campaign or donors (can't remember which and can't be bothered to look it up). Texas may very well be the deciding state in the 1964 elections as it will definitely not be the same Democratic landslide we had with LBJ IOTL. McCormack is also most likely going to turn down running for a second term due to his age and health problems. Him running for re-election in 1964 in A Nixed Result always seemed kind of off to me, but if he thought he was the only one who could take down Wallace I guess I could see it (too bad he lost anyway). I actually loved the plot line of a President George Wallace in the mid '60s but from the perspective of a person in-universe that would be horrible the effects his presidency could have on the nation.

What exactly happens if Cabell simply makes the public statement that he is being blackmailed. The police union is basically making demands backed up by a threat (no police/fire service). Put the union in a position of having to explain to the public that they are willing to arrest everyday citizens and turn them over for trial, but don't trust that same judicial system for their own. And also that they are willing to put the public they are sworn to "protect and serve" at risk when it suits their needs.

marktaha

Banned
I could definitely see Wallace running as an Independent four years early (I know he ran as the American Independent Party nominee in 1968 after forming the party in 1967 IOTL but there's not a lot of time to form an entire political party between August and November), probably with Ross Barnett, Governor of Mississippi, or Happy Chandler, former Governor of Kentucky and MLB Commissioner. Chandler would be the best choice imo as he probably was in 1968 until he got rejected by Wallace's campaign or donors (can't remember which and can't be bothered to look it up). Texas may very well be the deciding state in the 1964 elections as it will definitely not be the same Democratic landslide we had with LBJ IOTL. McCormack is also most likely going to turn down running for a second term due to his age and health problems. Him running for re-election in 1964 in A Nixed Result always seemed kind of off to me, but if he thought he was the only one who could take down Wallace I guess I could see it (too bad he lost anyway). I actually loved the plot line of a President George Wallace in the mid '60s but from the perspective of a person in-universe that would be horrible the effects his presidency could have on the nation.
Chandler seen as too soft on race.

Chapter Twelve (contd.) Meanwhile at the Pentagon

Geon

Donor
(Thank you Calbear for some of the information you gave here!)

Elsewhere, in a map room at the Pentagon, a group of admirals were examining a map of Haiphong harbor.

The operation dubbed Hangman’s Noose was in its final planning phase. Now the admirals were looking at the order of battle that phase would take.

The President had ordered a complete blockade of Haiphong harbor which included mining the entrance points. The operation was slated to begin on January 25th of next year once the details were worked out.

The objective would be to starve Viet Cong forces in the south of needed supplies. The President would announce on January 23rd a total naval blockade of North Vietnam. After January 25th as in Cuba any ship approaching the blockade line had to stop and submit itself to search. Any contraband discovered and the ship would be seized or ordered to turn around and return to its point of origin. Any ships that tried to run the blockade would be given one warning shot. Any who refused to heed this would be fired upon.

There was a risk, to be sure. There was always the chance the Soviets or the Red Chinese would retaliate. But the gamble was that neither the Soviet Union nor China was willing to risk starting World War III over Vietnam.

The list of ships that would participate in the blockade was impressive to say the least. They included Kitty Hawk and Oriskany which were already on duty in that area. To them would be added Constellation, Hancock, Kearsarge, Ranger, and Ticonderoga.

Of course, there was still the possibility of supplying the Viet Cong via China. If that were tried then Operation Hangman’s Noose called for phase II, namely bombing convoys entering North Vietnam from China after they had crossed the Sino-Vietnamese border. Phase two also called for bombing supply routes on the Ho Chi Minh trail to ensure as few supplies as possible reached the Viet Cong.

If the plan worked, then the North Vietnamese would be forced to come to the negotiating table and accept the present status quo and the Viet Cong would be starved out of existence. And best of all no further U.S, troops beyond the number presently stationed in Vietnam would need to be deployed there.

At least that was the hope.