Something about Mary

Revisiting an idea I had in 2008, initially mixing OTL with a couple of POD's that may have some interesting short term or possibly long term repercussions.

5 year oldMary Queen of Scots is shipped off to the Valois household in France in 1547 by her mother Marie of Guise. She becomes cultured in the ways of the French court and becomes perfect marraige fodder for the future King of France. In time she marries the Dauphin Francis in 1558. Before Francis dies in 1560, he and Mary consummate their union and Mary becomes pregnant. But Francis does die and Mary is left to give birth to the heir to French Throne, under the manipulation of Catherine. She gives birth to a boy, Francis III. Catherine usurps Mary's role as mother and the control that would give her as Dowager and thus creates an untenable with Catherine, a situation where Mary has to flee France.

The unconsolable 18 year old Mary (she has lost her husband, child and mother in one year), has to pass through England in her rushed circumstances, this brings her face to face with 23 year old Edward VI (who hasnt died in 1553) and the rough wooing has just moved up a notch. Despite their clear religious differences but possible political affiliation they marry in 1561. Mary gives birth to Henry (the future Henry IX) in 1562. But Edward does die in 1563 and the machinations of the protestant peers of the realm forceMary to abandon England and her second son because of her Catholicism.

Mary escapes to Scotland, and this is where the POD's returns to OTL. She marries Lord Henry Darnley, has the heir to the Scottish throne by him, James VI in 1566 and Darnley is blown up in 1567. She becomes reaquainted with Earl James Bothwell, they marry in 1567 and fall foul of the Scottish peers, having to make their escape from Scotland. She is pregnant with twins and has to find a safe haven for herself, her husband and her unborn children.

Three questions arise here for a potential ATL. What could happen when three (half) brothers ( Francis, Henry and James ) are kings to competing kingdoms; and where would Mary, her husband and twin (lets say sons) children go for sanctuary ? And would twin sons in exile pose a threat to the line of inheritance for France, England or Scotland ?

Constructive correction, criticism or comment is appreciated

Last edited:
they would only be a danger to the scottish throne, since they have no claims on the english or french throne, as both of those were gained through their fathers).

So why does James become King of Scotland? Is it because he's accepted by the Scottish nobility or because Scotland bans foreign born heirs from inheriting the throne?

From where I am standing, it seems like Francis III or Henry IX might try to conquer Scotland. By primogeniture at least, Francis III is the King of Scotland.

It's going to be fun times for the Hapsburgs if France, England, and Scotland all have child monarchs.

In England in particular, will Henry IX have a council or will he have a lady protector or a guardian in the person of his half aunt Mary or Elizabeth?

Seems an alluring idea, three half brothers becoming kings around the same time by the the same mother :)

Although I must say, you might need to flesh out why she has to flee each nation, in detail as sounds a little too rushed.

Who would these three men marry?

Few thoughts
Assuming Henri II insists on the same treaty and marriage contract then Mary's son by Francis II is heir to both France and Scotland - Scots tradition would follow that as well and there was no law barring a prince of foreign birth. Now the Lords of the Congregation in Scotland will get even more military and financial support from Edward VI than they got from Elizabeth that might mean Mary facing a choice over Scotland much earlier - requiring either war to enforce her will or a guarantee that her second son by Francis II would inherit Scotland rather than the two countries be united - and if the secret terms of the marriage agreement were leaked (that in the absence of Mary having an heir Scotland would pass to Henri II's heirs) then she would be finished in Scotland.
If she does marry a surviving Edward VI - then the Lords may well insist as might Edward on her agreeing that her children by Edward VI would succeed in Scotland not her son the King of France.

IN 1560 Mary and Francis are still I assume dominated by the Guise's to the annoyance of the Queen Dowager -
Assuming Francis II makes no new arrangements - tradition would pass the regency of France to the First Prince of the Blood in OTL he abandoned that to Catherine who became Governor of France.
In these circumstances there is going to be a fight between the Guises (who will want Mary or one of their own as regent) and it is by no means definate that Catherine would win control.
Assuming Edward VI lives longer then England moves even closer to a true Protestant state (much closer to Calvinism than the Anglican Settlements of OTL Elizabeth and James VI and I)
Whilst trying for a match with Elizabeth Valois (Mary Stuart's sister in law) his protector might have been willing to offer deals but an of age Edward in the spirit of his father's authoritarianism - the man who as a child could barely tolerate his sister's maintenance of Catholic ritual - is not going to be very willing to accomodate his wife's religion.
Also hoping he is still single by 1561/2 is a bit of a push given his views and his need to secure the succession.

@Sian
yes, horribly ashamed! In my enthusiasm to get this post up I overlooked what Mary's twin's influence on Scotland, England and France would be ...

@ Ladymadchan
from my perspective, and please correct me, a Scot's born king would be more acceptable over a foreign born king .....primogeniture disregarded, especially under Knox's influence. He could barely stand the queen ... but to have influence over a Scot's born king ...Ahhh !

And what if ... the Hapsburg response to 3 child monarch's ...interesting indeed.

As for Henry IX's regency ...I can only imagine religious zealots .. Edwards time was far more fervent than Elizabeth's ( and Elizabeth is now not Elizabeth the 1st) Mary (sister) would not get a look in, regarding the Henry IX council, obviously.

Thus Mary's (his mother) expulsion from Henry's regency and from England ... she would have little leverage, even as Queen Dowager.

@Jonathan
alluring indeed
this is just a what if, pose a question
I would definitely love to script a timeline, and "flesh it out"
but not sure my skills are up to it
but as you ended....
who is on the marriage market 20 years later in the 1580'st to 1590's ?

@mcdnab
just a short correction
Francis II + Mary = Francis III
Edward VI + Mary = Henry IX
Lord Darnley + Mary = James VI/I
Lord Bothwell + Mary = (twin boys)

I think the "secret contract" would be forgivable having had a 17 year old sign it under duress and become null and void after Mary flee's Catherine de'Medici's regency. Yes the Guises were in ascendency for a time but Catherine definitely won out power wise.

Mary's marriage would look like a prophesy ... ie England and Scotland as one. ( the rough wooing) Mary would be consolatory under the circumstances .... (and she was in OTL when she returned to Scotland under Knox) but Edwards death would make fervent protestant even more so with (OTL Mary I) Mary in the wings (unless she had been married off... another what if !)
As for Edward being alive and kicking at 23years of age .... and consolatory to a Catholic wife ...Originally I had imagined ( remember this idea was posed in 2008... without response) Edward losing a local wife to childbirth, local as in English nobility, following his father's footsteps, thus making him more amenable to a marriage to Mary. The possibility of an heir having Scotland joined to England, may make parliament acquiesce .

Here lies my what if !