Some thoughts about my constructing timeline Titulus de Migrantibus

Hello everyone!Orlov has landed!This is my first thread in this forum!!!
The name of the timeline,Titulus de Migrantibus, comes from a frankish law .I first saw it in the first thick book about medieval world The Cambridge Economic History of Europe.What confuses me is that almost all search engines tell me that I have made a spelling mistake...
The first POD appears in the battlefield of Vouille.Here rex of Wisigoths ,AlaricII killed Clovis by his sword.Before backing to Bordeaux for winter,he succesfully got Loyalty from thoes millitary who was subjected by clovis 20 years ago.They threw Merovings away and followed Alaric . Merovings' s millitary leadership quickly collapsed. Merovings' enemies regained their power: Alemania was rebuilt,further invaded Saxons assiminated some franks and non-merovingian individual repelled long-hair kings.Mediating by Theoderic,Visigoths and Franks negotiated to peace.In the next two centuries, aristocricy and royal lands in North Gaul will be important elements in Visigothic internecine competition.
Two gothic kingdoms' continuation will keep the decisive power in mediterrain and negate eastern Empire's ambition.Alemania and Bavaria thus built stronger bound with Toulouse or Ravenna.Franks's power was further limited.
By the end of 7th century, muslims defeated gothics.Muslim controled most of Iberia,Italy and Narbonne,but they failed to step further.Kingdom of Suebi was reognized in Galicia and Gothia Kingdom in Orlean.The former will be annexed by Andalus in about 18th century while the latter will reconquest Aquitania and Burgundy in the high medieval and becomes modern Gothia.
While in the Slavic World,I tried to set two major differences.For Piast millitary leaders played a essential role in the formation of Polska country,I'd like to imagine some polabian slavic country's emergence.When it turns to Pannonia, there were series of orthodox slavic countries during medieval,while Magyars hadn't been invited.It's Bavarias and Italian muslim that destroyed Great Moravia.(By the way ,you might see Islamized Lombrads and South Slavs...)

Above is a almost all my thoughts of the timeline,it's a rough content obiviously...I want to present "nationgenesis" of French and Deutch ironicaly and imagine a indurstrialing islamic world. In my original plan,I will post thread after I finish my first introduction of post-vouille western Europe.However,It's too late for my english aquisition!In the long summer vacation after China's National College Entrance Examine,I have tried some measures to acquire english,(You may see my poor english presentation...) and decided make it by getting numerous input and output.For a beginner, reading a english history work is harsh challenge, so I come to AH forum to interact with you:).(I'd like to join if there is a discord group ).I'm glad to receive reply and advice,More interaction ,more insipration.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. I for one have never heard about the Titulus of the title. So thanks for giving me something to look into :winkytongue:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. I for one have never heard about the Titulus of the title. So thanks for giving me something to look into :winkytongue:
I failed to find english version e-book of that economic history when I name the TL and try to ensure spelling. (However,I find it this morning...I will examine both original and translated version soon)
Titulus may means "inscription" in Latin,and de Migrantibus may be a part of Lex Salica.When I first see the word, it was translated in some kind of literary as “迁移者的丰碑(Titulus de Migrantibus)",which really leave a deep impression on me;).If I'm a Merovingian researcher,I will try to find if there is such a combination...So,I will leave it temporarily.😌

Last edited:
According to a quick search (thanks JSTOR), this is from a 1941 Cambridge Economic History, quoted in a 1945 article's footnotes:

Richard Kuebner, In his article, The Settlement and Colonisation of Europe (Cambridge Economic History 1941) on the Salic Law, Titulus de Migrantibus.

The veto of a single proprietor should decide against the new settler, even if one or several want to admit him. No village community is involved, for some three or four neighbours are not agreed about the admission of another. This was not a question of the communal disposal of shares in the land by the tribal assembly, it was the individual settlers who had to agree to the division. But Clovis declared that the migrans must be admitted if he came recommended by the king.

From a review of the Cambridge History of Europe from the Decline of the Roman Empire, Vol. 1: Agrarian Life in the Middle Ages (1943) published in the Canadian Journal of Economics and Political Sciences:
The treatment by Professors Kuebner and Dopsch respectively of Germanic settlement on Roman soil is a point in question. No one even slightly familiar with the long history of the problems involved can fail to realize that, in spite of remaining differences, the conflicting views are no longer irreconcilable. The broad outlines of the historical picture are pretty well agreed upon by now. It may be said that a work of this kind was needed to make us conscious of the distance covered on the road towards scientific clarification and synthesis; the more so since most of the contributors to this volume must be credited with having themselves made original contributions to that achievement. It is, for instance, highly instructive to compare Professor Kuebner's clear-cut discussion of the Germania (especially his lucid interpretation of chapter XXVI, or his convincing exposition of the notorious Titulus de migrantibus of the Lex Salica, with the welter of conflicting theories unloaded on the bewildered student in the corresponding chapters of Josef Kulischer's Allgemeine Wirtschaftsgeschichte, volume I (1928)

According to a quick search (thanks JSTOR), this is from a 1941 Cambridge Economic History, quoted in a 1945 article's footnotes:

Richard Kuebner, In his article, The Settlement and Colonisation of Europe (Cambridge Economic History 1941) on the Salic Law, Titulus de Migrantibus.

The veto of a single proprietor should decide against the new settler, even if one or several want to admit him. No village community is involved, for some three or four neighbours are not agreed about the admission of another. This was not a question of the communal disposal of shares in the land by the tribal assembly, it was the individual settlers who had to agree to the division. But Clovis declared that the migrans must be admitted if he came recommended by the king.
The Danish Census Book of King Valdemar II (1202-41) mention that the King protecting a foreigner allows this foreigner to settle; this is also part of the Citie's Charters and as the oldest Ribe dates to 700 this practice have been in use for a long time. It looks a later development from Germanic Tribal society to Kingship's much regulated society to uphold Kingship!

From a review of the Cambridge History of Europe from the Decline of the Roman Empire, Vol. 1: Agrarian Life in the Middle Ages (1943) published in the Canadian Journal of Economics and Political Sciences:
Thank you :winkytongue:(Oh, there are many useful websites worth my learning)
due to some errors(?),I cannot see new alerts of replies......