Some more 'Turtleworld' maps

Thande

Donor
Here are some more maps of Harry Turtledove's AHs I've been working on. This is "The Two Georges", 1996:

untitled3.jpg

Couple of things.

I believe that cuba and the carribean are independent from the race. Although basically just protectorates of the USA.

And canada drifted away from british influence as britain became more facist.

So maybe not have them as tied to britain as you do.

Thande

Donor
Look closely at the Colonisation book map and you'll see Cuba and Haiti as shaded to the Race's colour. No, I don't know why either, particularly since the Race has a tendency to ignore small islands. My biggest nit with the map in the book is why does Japan have Indochina? They've been forced off the rest of the mainland, and in "Striking the Balance" Japan, like Britain, was not treated seriously by the Race at the negotiating table, so why do they still have it? I could understand the East Indies - as I said, the Race ignores small islands - but Indochina?

I grouped them together because I think they're still de facto the British Commonwealth, though de jure they've drifted apart.

Thande

Donor
One note on the 'Two Georges' map, too: on the book map for Ethiopia it says "ETHIOPIA (India)". I'm assuming this is a misprint as it would make no sense for Ethiopia to be part of India and it is never listed as part of the British Empire when the other colonies are later in the book. Probably on a rough map it said "ETHIOPIA (Ind.)" for independent and the the person drawing the real map misread it.

Thande

Donor
Here's another one: the world of "Les Mortes D'Arthur", a short HT story set in about 2300. I made the US borders deliberately vague because the US is supposed to have been badly damaged in a nuclear war and only recently reattained its former power. This story was written in the 80s, projecting forward, hence the Communist "Moscow" but Tsarist Siberia (the USSR broke up) and imperialist China (having eventually admitted that it's abandoned Communism).

untitled5.jpg

Actually in my paperbacks, cuba, haiti, bahamas and puerto rico are not shaded. They're all clear of the \\ shades for race territory.

So maybe it's different in the HC or in later prints he took out the shading for them.

All I know is in my paperbacks the carribean is not shaded for the race.

Thande

Donor
Can't make it out on an Internet image...I'll have to wait until I can get hold of my own paperbacks and get back to you.