Some Great AH Comic Book Titles To Check Out

Here are some great titles that you should check out:

* Earth-2- James Robinson (Starman, Justice Society of America, Golden Age) has come out with a new series which promises to be a purely ATL world-building series:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-04-30/Earth-2-comic-book-series/54642260/1

I won't give away the spoilers, but the series has a powerful introduction, and an interesting new reason for the formation of the Justice Society of America (JSA)..

* Fantastic Four #605.1- Jonathan Hickman tells the story of a Nazi-controlled ATL, wherein a fascist version of the Fantastic Four is created. This is a stand-alone issue that you will lve:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12384

Time to head to the comic book stores:

* Before Watchmen: Minutemen (DC Comics) by Darwyn Cooke kicks off the 6-month project which explores with 6 different mini-series which explores as a prequel series the world of Watchmen...

* F-00 Fighters (webcomic) starting in 1897, earth has been the subject of attacks from alien forces. In 1943, Earth is fighting back, using its "foo fighters". They can be checked out at:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/F-00-Fighters-Series/248736148541362

* Earth-2 (DC Comics) by James Robinson continues to create a new spin on the Golden Age characters. Also, with the promise of greater diversity and representation, the series is considered controversial after having one Golden Age character come "out of the closet"...

Definitely go tot he comic book stores ASAP. For those fans of the 1970s series Space:1999, the series is reimagined as being part of an ATL that branched off from OTL with the Kennedy assassination:

prv14508_pg1.jpg

prv14508_pg1.jpg

Here is where the ATL begins to really deviate:

Taken out of context, and ignoring the pages after it, this image perfectly sums up what I call "Asshole Alternate History", which is the kind where something you think and expect to be good is just forced by the author to turn into a crapsack. I'm stealin' it.

Taken out of context, and ignoring the pages after it, this image perfectly sums up what I call "Asshole Alternate History", which is the kind where something you think and expect to be good is just forced by the author to turn into a crapsack. I'm stealin' it.
If it is so bad, why steal it? We like to complain about the nature of these ATLs, but admit it people, you love them....

May I recommend another?

Ministry of Space - a great novel by Warren Ellis where Post WWII England enters the space race prior to US or USSR and establish a space empire in the mid 50's.

The plot helps in showing the cultural differences inside England following the kingdom's domination of space. I really recommend it.

May I recommend another?

Ministry of Space - a great novel by Warren Ellis where Post WWII England enters the space race prior to US or USSR and establish a space empire in the mid 50's.

The plot helps in showing the cultural differences inside England following the kingdom's domination of space. I really recommend it.
That will always be a classic in the genre. The world-building involved is astonding....

Here is a new series that just came out this week called The Royals: Masters of War, with the idea that the "divine right" invoked by monarchies was actually based on metahuman super powers:

ROYALS_Cv1_i8qg05dc1e__527c3a7ad70f42.07440368.jpg

The year is 1940. As the Blitz destroys London and kills thousands, the Royal Family looks on. But in this world, the only people with special abilities are Royalty, and the purer the bloodline, the greater their abilities. So why don’t they stop the carnage with their powers? A truce between the Earth’s nobles has kept them out of our wars—until now. When England’s Prince Henry can take no more and intervenes, will it stop the planet’s suffering or take it to another level?

ROYALS_Cv1_i8qg05dc1e__527c3a7ad70f42.07440368.jpg

May I recommend another?

I loved the first two issues, but after waiting what seemed like ages for the third and last issue it felt like it had been thrown together in a hurry...

An old series from Antarctic Press might be of interest, TIGERS OF TERRA...

I loved the first two issues, but after waiting what seemed like ages for the third and last issue it felt like it had been thrown together in a hurry...

An old series from Antarctic Press might be of interest, TIGERS OF TERRA...

The problem is that Tigers of Terra, although it had some great ideas and wonderful PODs, was hampered by horribly bad dialogue. It had the worst aspects of the Stars & Stripes trilogy by Harry Harrison or The many novels by Robert Conroy....

The problem is that Tigers of Terra, although it had some great ideas and wonderful PODs, was hampered by horribly bad dialogue. It had the worst aspects of the Stars & Stripes trilogy by Harry Harrison or The many novels by Robert Conroy....

That and the fact Ted Nomura just couldn't get them out on time. I really liked them but the endless delays meant I finally abandoned the series...

That and the fact Ted Nomura just couldn't get them out on time. I really liked them but the endless delays meant I finally abandoned the series...

Also some of the items were especially ham-fisted, you had Bill Clinton in a U.S. Army uniform as the last casualty of the Vietnam War. You also had a Marilyn Monroe that fell in love with a MiG pilot defector in the 1950s. One detail that was a little off-putting was the idea of Adolf Hitler not being anti-Semitic,....

Read on CBR previews and it's an interesting premise.

According to the ASB setting is that every known royalty (kings, queens, princes, and princesses) throughout history are born with superpowers. However, they are not exactly like Superman and are mortal. For example a brief flashback shows that the French Revolution having no trouble guillotining super-powered royalty.

By the time of the Russian Revolution, the common people (those without superpowers) are growing to be very wary and even outright afraid of the Royals for having literal and metaphoric powers over their subjects in which it was the very reason that the Soviets outright eliminated the Czar and his family. Thus, Royals like the House of Windsor - the main characters of the story - decided it was for the best that they keep their children from revealing their powers to the public and making them look normal. But obviously when WWII hits the UK, keeping from using their powers when watching their countrymen dying from the Blitz changes this...

Last edited:
I recall once reading a comic that was part of a graphic novel compilation that had an alternate WWII. It was total ASB and a Japan-wank. Japan beat the US at Midway, attacked/invaded Hawaii, then proceeded to (and I kid you not) bomb mainland USA. There were panels of them bombing Chicago and eventually destroying LA and San Francisco with nuclear weapons. The ending had MacArthur being beheaded in a ceremonial execution.

For the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

I recall once reading a comic that was part of a graphic novel compilation that had an alternate WWII. It was total ASB and a Japan-wank. Japan beat the US at Midway, attacked/invaded Hawaii, then proceeded to (and I kid you not) bomb mainland USA. There were panels of them bombing Chicago and eventually destroying LA and San Francisco with nuclear weapons. The ending had MacArthur being beheaded in a ceremonial execution.

For the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

I believe that would be "Planet of the Jap", which was a very dark revanchist fantasy, even by manga standards:

http://www.guromanga.com/read/paranoia-star/4919/p1#.UyE_Ib7n_ak