Solar Dreams: a history of solar energy (1878 - 2025)

Well, this is not something you see everyday: a timeline focused on Chile trying to harness the Power of Solar Energy. Very interesting!
REALLY good stuff. I always wanted to explore a late 19th/early 20th century development of solar energy in a TL of mine, but I would have never thought of having it start in Chile! Also, never heard about Mouchot and its work, really interesting.

Chile was a minor power during the 19th Century, with a respectable navy and some colonial ambitions. The nitrate wealth, in a sense, cursed Chile to underdevelopment because it was easier to extract the wealth from the ground than industrialize. However, if there's any place suited for solar energy...

SolarGIS-Solar-map-World-map-en.png

... it's northern Chile. The area generates twice the amount of energy Mouchot used for his collectors in France.

Now, the true fun begins when people in the 19th Century realize that the solar collectors allow them to reach temperatures far higher than coal or oil derivatives... and, with some tweaking, as low as 73 K.

Chile was a minor power during the 19th Century, with a respectable navy and some colonial ambitions. The nitrate wealth, in a sense, cursed Chile to underdevelopment because it was easier to extract the wealth from the ground than industrialize. However, if there's any place suited for solar energy...

SolarGIS-Solar-map-World-map-en.png

... it's northern Chile. The area generates twice the amount of energy Mouchot used for his collectors in France.

Now, the true fun begins when people in the 19th Century realize that the solar collectors allow them to reach temperatures far higher than coal or oil derivatives... and, with some tweaking, as low as 73 K.
I knew Chile was a rising power, but I didn't knew this particularity about Northern Chile! With this info, I hope you don't see it as plagiarism if Northern Chile comes up in the setup of my TL, whenever I will write it up ;)

Chapter 3
Part 3: Flowers of Steel

March, 1884
Mouchot's residence.
Almonte, Tarapaca

Alejandro Puig's manners could have been better. Should he choose to, he could follow them to a point that would earn him praise from the executive from the TSC sitting at Mouchot's table. The frenchmen was an excellent cook, and Alejandro grew a fondness for the beef stewed in wine he made. Both Mouchot and Serrano displayed their refined manners in front of the higher up, an airhead with a vasque family name which Alejandro refused to learn.

It was his way to show him his contempt. Or, more accurately, to reciprocate it. The exec tried to kill his budget of operations, citing that the men could work without the protective equipment he and Serrano had designed for them. "And, I believe it is cheaper to just hire new men when these rotos get too tired than to provide them with fancy dresses", he told him once, as if it was the most logical thing in the world. Maybe he hadn't seen the damage it did to the skin of those first workers, how a few minutes of exposition turned the skins red, which then blistered and flaked off. Serrano saw it as a necessary piece of equipment, but to Puig it was a matter of dignity. Of treating men, men even more unlucky than himself, with respect.

And so, he ate in a gruff and brusque manner. If that bothered the little man, too bad. Puig was even more bothered by the way he treated others. Even Augustin Mouchot, by far the most educated man on the room, and the host of the place, was treated with some contempt. He wanted to talk about future uses of his solar collectors, to demonstrate the enhanced parabolic design that was powering a Stirling engine on his backyard - which was quite literally built by Mouchot, Serrano and Puig out of their own effort and funds -, of the possibilities for motorization with solar energy, and even a few ideas to extend the use of solar heat well into the night.
But the representative of the TSC had his focus on expanding the solar drier. They had struck gold with it, allowing the company to produce more nitrates at a lower cost and faster than the competition. Hence, more Mouchot-Puig Boilers on other company instalations. Nothing else interested him or the TSC, and he made it clear to the three men in charge of the "Research Operations".

Fortunately for them, he only stayed for a short time.

"And you say this man represents the Chilean higher class? I thought that Monsieur Serrano was already a member of it."
"My family is well to do, and has some influence and land to their name, but I am by no means on the same league as Arostegui. They have haciendas in the south, mines in the north, and a few dozen senators in their pockets." - Serrano clarified.
"This is nothing like what we have in France. If I could show one of my countrymen what we have managed to do the three of us, they'd be offering us a fortune to keep on researching."
"Yeah, well, welcome to Chile. You showed them something that would make them money, and they want more of it." - Puig said.
"I am worried because this project they have devised, it'll keep us occupied for the next five years building nothing but boilers. When will we do our research?"
"Maybe on Sundays. Maybe." - Said Serrano.
"And resigning? We could go independent and lease the design to other companies." - Puig suggested.
"The TSC holds the patent for the Boiler. They won't share it."

October, 1884
Almonte, Tarapaca

Augustin looked at the parabolic mirror, seven meters in diameter. They could have finished it in three weeks, but with the incessant need for work at the TSC, it turned into a struggle of seven months. Alas, the design was completed, at last. Mouchot's biggest collector yet, built in his backyard on a god forsaken desert. It took the light of the sun, and concentrated as much as they could with the materials they had available. Forty square meters were concentrated in less than a sixteenth of one. Some of it was lost, of course, but nothing could resist that heat for long. It melted rocks in seconds, it made wood burst into flame, and it made water explode into steam.

Mouchot looked at the concentrated beam through his darkened glasses. He stared in silence for a few seconds, and laughed. He did it. He reached a temperature that coal would never reach, and he did it on his own. This moment, on this forgotten part of the world, surrounded by two veterans of a war he knew nothing about, it was the culmination of his life's entire work. And he couldn't help but laugh. They directed the beam onto a brick, which glowed red hot before exploding, and then to a sizeable rock that melted into very fluid lava. He knew he was acting like a child with a magnifying glass, and he didn't care. For an hour, the power of the sun was his to command in frivolous ways. He had earned it.

But excitement eventually faded, and he returned to his senses. And with it, the real test of the solar collector: powering a machine. Mouchot and Serrano had spent a significant amount buying and importing a Stirling engine from England. An old one, built for industrial purposes. Then they had paid a lot of money to make it work, and to replace parts with more modern materials than ones in the old machine. The focusing mirror was readjusted so as to provide the power onto a wider area, and then aimed at one of the tanks of the Stirling engine.

Nothing happened. Not until Mouchot realized that the engine needed to be running to start the cycle, so he gave the flywheel a gentle push.

It accelerated fast. In less than ten seconds it became a blur in their eyes. So fast that the noises of the cycle turned into a uniform hum, which grew in pitch until they realized the machine was never meant to operate under those conditions. The parts didn't melt, that much they had predicted well. But they didn't count on the stress on the flywheel and the pistons. The flywheel began to wobble, a little bit at first, then a lot. Then it disintegrated into a mess of bolts and machinery and a wheel that had acquired a will of its own and decided to roll at full speed embedding itself into one of his neighbors trees. One of only ten trees in all Almonte.

The Tarapaca Saltpeter Company lost interest in Mouchot's ideas as the Mouchot-Puig Boiler allowed for a increase in profits and accelerated the processing of nitrates. This wasn't unsurprising in Chile, as innovation and technological progress was always thought as a foreign domain, with little appreciation for domestic research and development. In this sense, the creation of the MP Boiler was both abnormal and typical. Abnormal in the sense that it was indeed an innovative design, but typical in that it was only possible due to the immediate benefit it provided to the upper classes that controlled the means of production. The next couple of years would see the widespread adoption of this device among the offices of the TSC, increasing the demand for labor, which resulted in a modest increase in wages among workers coupled with longer hours and higher quotas.
Although Mouchot and his team were overworked in their own way, they still managed to advance their research into solar collectors. The first of a new generation of collectors was erected and tested outside Mouchot's residence, and it immediately demonstrated great potential as a source for industrial heat. Motive power was also tested, but the steam powered machines suffered from losses that, although no different than those of coal burning boilers, were deemed ineffcient by Mouchot, who preferred Stirling engines. These machines, capable of converting a temperature differential directly into motive power instead of relying on pressure, had gone into disuse in industrial applications because they couldn't compete with coal boilers. Although he had a substantial salary that allowed him to run experiments independently from the TSC, the resources needed to design a modern Stirling engine were outside Mouchot's reach. Thus, research shifted towards industrial heat for the next couple of years.

To think that Mouchot managed to complete his solar powered boiler, and the first thing he does is to just point his solar collector's energy at things like a kid. Even scientists can't get rid of their childish excitement and passion at things.

Now things really start to get rolling, although how they're gonna work around the whims of the Chilean industrial class is certainly something that's going to be interesting. They can't just rest on their laurels just yet: they have to make it viable, profitable, and popular across all of Chile and perhaps even the world.

It just makes me giddy with anticipation to see where they could go next.

I really hope Mouchot and his team set up independently of TSC for the next set of inventions as they seem to be lacking vision, and of course keeping the profits.

Is there a rich sponsor in Chille interested in innovation that could have them along?

It's actually surprising that thermal and concentrated solar power equipment was not developped earlier OTL, it's so shitsimple yet so good.

It's actually surprising that thermal and concentrated solar power equipment was not developped earlier OTL, it's so shitsimple yet so good.
Well, it has a lot of problems that have always made it somewhat questionably cost-effective next to coal, oil, or gas combustion. The biggest, of course, is that concentrated solar power doesn't work if it's cloudy or at night, since the diffuse light from clouds can't be effectively concentrated (and of course at night it's not sunny at all). This is a big problem for most parts of the world...not northern Chile, but other places. In practice, you also need quite large (relatively) precisely engineered systems to capture enough light to reach high temperatures (in the update, for example, forty square meters of mirrors) and your maximum temperature is comparatively limited (though still quite high) relative to what you can achieve with fuel-based combustion. It's notable that despite predictions from ten or fifteen years ago, concentrated solar power hasn't made much of a splash in global energy production...it's photovoltaics that have carried the water for solar power instead. A lot of the existing plants have had technical and cost issues, so in practice it doesn't seem so simple as it appears.

Of course, photovoltaics haven't been invented yet in this timeline, so they'll have to work on making concentrating power practical instead, at least in niches such as generating power in the desert. This would be similar to how photovoltaics were carried by niche applications like powering spacecraft, calculators, or other power consumers which could not be practically connected to the grid until their price fell low enough to become somewhat competitive with grid supplies. Here I would expect solar power to primarily find favor in low-key applications such as solar water heating or solar air conditioning or, for a more industrial aspect, in providing power to installations in remote desert areas. If more economical, you might have silliness such as solar-powered oil refineries in Saudi Arabia or Iran--if the cost of the solar power is low enough, it might be more profitable to use a solar installation for electrical power (and perhaps process heat) and have some extra oil to sell than to burn oil or gas to do the same things. Of course, eventually solar power might be more generally competitive with fossil energy, but that's not likely to be the case for a while yet.

One difference between OTL context and the one in this timeline is that electricity hasn't risen to prominence by the time solar energy starts seeing greater adoption in places where it is environmentally viable.

This means that there's no need to convert energy to electricity, and some technologies that fell out of favour are still widespread enough to be known by engineers of the time. Compressed air and heat batteries - while still rudimentary and not exactly efficient by modern standards - can store both motive and heat power during the night. The Stirling engine becomes much more viable if you can generate a big temperature differential, and in turn can be used as a heat pump itself. In OTL these technologies died when electricity became widespread (and maybe all it did here is to postpone their death).

The other key difference, which stems from the first, is that humanity will start the 20th century with a much wider range of working temperatures (concentrating the energy of the sun in a small area will easily produce temperatures in excess of what fossil fuels can produce, although generating large quantities of heat using solar energy will remain a challenge) which has its own industrial and scientific applications that will fundamentally change technological development.

But economics is still there, as are the limitations in solar inherent to solar power. Fossil fuels will remain competitive in areas where solar irradiance is lower, and electricity will eventually become the dominant form of power generation and distribution.

This isn't a timeline where every car is powered by a solar collector, but one where our relationship with energy is still very different.

When photovoltaics do get invented, I wonder how quickly they'll catch on with solar steam being so well-developed.

How much of a chance is there of the Chilean elites getting their heads out of their asses and allow their country to become an R&D powerhouse? Anyways, I am QUITE curious what the wider range of working temperatures will allow.

How much of a chance is there of the Chilean elites getting their heads out of their asses and allow their country to become an R&D powerhouse? Anyways, I am QUITE curious what the wider range of working temperatures will allow.
If Balmaceda is elected ITTL, I could imagine him including this in his national construction projects. OTOH, if he is still overthrown in a coup, that could result in solar development being discredited, at least for a while.

The other key difference, which stems from the first, is that humanity will start the 20th century with a much wider range of working temperatures (concentrating the energy of the sun in a small area will easily produce temperatures in excess of what fossil fuels can produce, although generating large quantities of heat using solar energy will remain a challenge) which has its own industrial and scientific applications that will fundamentally change technological development.
Thermochemical production of hydrogen, perhaps? I don't think the Odeillo furnace ever had any particularly significant breakthroughs (aside from simply being useful generally I mean, nothing revolutionary), so I'm not sure what could come of this...but I'm not an expert, just have been in proximity with experts long enough to pick up some general ideas.

How much of a chance is there of the Chilean elites getting their heads out of their asses and allow their country to become an R&D powerhouse?
well, not wanting to put modern politics on this but our élites Still had their heads in their asses and still don't let the country develop good R&D, so little.
There are good chances if the 91 Civil war still occurs and Balmaceda win quashing and destroying good part of said élite

well, not wanting to put modern politics on this but our élites Still had their heads in their asses and still don't let the country develop good R&D, so little.
There are good chances if the 91 Civil war still occurs and Balmaceda win quashing and destroying good part of said élite

The butterfly effect is in full force, and that's all I'm going to say in the matter.

And although I do plan for the initial development of solar energy to start in Chile, eventually the development of it will pour over the borders and into other continents.

The Atacama desert becoming one of the most important places on Earth (the combination of cheap energy, and easy access to minerals and metals will be a competitive advantage in the long run), though.

When photovoltaics do get invented, I wonder how quickly they'll catch on with solar steam being so well-developed.

Photovoltaics present somewhat of a conundrum in that I don't know what to do with them at this very moment. I don't know if they'd actually be more efficient than a thermal --> electrical converter, and thus they'd probably remain a niche technology for a longer time than OTL.

Thermochemical production of hydrogen, perhaps? I don't think the Odeillo furnace ever had any particularly significant breakthroughs (aside from simply being useful generally I mean, nothing revolutionary), so I'm not sure what could come of this...but I'm not an expert, just have been in proximity with experts long enough to pick up some general ideas.

A revival of Stirling engines as competitors of steam engines will have side effects, because the process can be reversed and use motive force to pump heat. The one I'm interested in is its refrigeration potential, which can reach temperatures as low as 73 K, resulting in liquid air.

You seem to understand thermodynamics quite well. Please bear with me, because the last time I studied them was ten years ago and since then I've only used the knowledge sparingly.
Good for sniffing scammers, though.

Photovoltaics present somewhat of a conundrum in that I don't know what to do with them at this very moment. I don't know if they'd actually be more efficient than a thermal --> electrical converter, and thus they'd probably remain a niche technology for a longer time than OTL.
Early photovoltaics were pretty dire, but they still had no moving parts and were far more compact than solar boilers, which is a huge advantage for the niches that they slipped into OTL: powering spacecraft, supplying remote installations, powering small electronics, and so on and so forth. I think PVs will still be a lot more competitive in that area, and that should be enough to get them developed up to competitiveness with thermal plants over time.

January, 1885
TSC Offices, Chile

Alejandro Puig stormed into the office of Juan Antonio Arostegui, the consequences of such a rash action be damned.
"What have you done to my men?" - He asked, ina tranquil tone.
"Your men? They are employees of the Tarapaca Saltpeter Company. They work for us, not for you." - answered Arostegui, with the arrogance that two goons just a shout away could afford.
"Those men work under me. I command them and they have the boilers working at top efficiency. I guaranteed them good working conditions, but I take one week off to see my ill sister, only to find that one of your idiots have replaced me?"
"Listen up, roto* de mierda, we tolerated you because you brought something useful for us. You increased our profits and sped up our productions. But, at the end of the day, you are no different than the beasts that carry the saltpeter and operate the machines. We can go to any bar and scoop a platoon of workers to replace the ones which we have lost. We can do the same with you, even if you can read and write and make some basic math. You and I are not the same."
"One of my men died of exhaustion. I have three others with horrible burns because your idiots didn't provide them their uniforms. One is permanently blinded because you didn't give him the protective glasses I requested."
"Those things cost money. If we give it to them, then oth-"
"I know how much a raw cotton shirt costs. Do you?"
"What?"
"Do you know how much money you'll spend on that? I could buy my whole team the equipment they'll use for a year with a week of my salary. You could give everyone at this office something similar and not make a dent on the TSC's profit margin."
"Wrong on both accounts."
"Huh, how so?"
"For one, you won't have a salary anymore at this company. For the other, it is cheaper to get another animal to do the work after one has fallen. There lays the profit, Puig."

Arostegui shouted, and the two goons entered the office, their intent clear.

Alejandro regained consciousness three days later, inside Mouchot's residence.

February, 1885
Almonte, Tarapacá

Constantino watched as Mouchot took notes on the modified portable engine. He had given up on what the frenchman was doing, but he was nonetheless fascinated by it. A man of intellect absorbed on his equations and abstractions.
"Monsieur Puig, we're ready for the test. Please lift the curtain."
The beam materialized on a large area of the boiler. It'd take time, but the water in it would begin to boil and then the steam would awaken the machine.
"I think the beam could be tighter, please move the focusing mirror five percent outside."
The beam remained the same size.
"Monsieur Puig? Are you still thinking about the strike at the office?"
Serrano watched as Puig snapped out of it. He wasn't the same man since the beating that the bastard Arostegui gave him. He seemed angrier, and pained.
"I fear that things will take a turn for the worst... those workers might be in danger."
"I know... I've seen in Paris just how ugly it can turn. But we are only three. A drop between two oceans, Monsieur Puig."
"Alejandro, we should focus on the task at hand. The strike will end sooner or later, and then it's back to the boilers for Mouchot and me."
"Monsieur Puig, if it will ease your mind, later we could go to the office and see how things are going. I'll do everything in my hands to ease tensions."

That promise was moot by the time Mouchot uttered them. A distant rumble could be heard. It came from the TSC.
Serrano knew what it meant. Puig did the same, and there was pure horror on his face. Justified horror. Only Mouchot didn't understand what it meant.
"What a curious noise. Maybe they're using explosives nearby?" Only then it struck him. Artillery.

Serrano stopped his work immediately. Puig was more diligent and dropped the curtains before climbing down the scaffolding, but he wasn't thinking at that moment.
Serrano had seen that same look hundreds of times before, and knew what to do. He gave Puig an order, the two men would go to the office and see what was going on. Maybe it was a mistake, or an accident or something. They hit the road and prepared to walk the ten kilometers between Almonte and the nitrate facility. They managed to walk (or, more accurately, limp) about two kilometers before reaching a roadblock managed by sailors.
Serrano tried to persuade them, he tried to gain their sympathy by telling them of his own military past. They answered him by aiming their guns at him and barking an order to retreat.

By the time they returned, well after the sun had set, Almonte was under martial law. Sailors marched on the streets, some men (and a few women) were taken prisoner.

And, in the night, a fire glowed in the west. The TSC' worker encampment made a dim mockery of the setting sun.

Mouchot's first impact on History had little to do with his innovations, although they were related to them. By lifting bottlenecks in the processing of nitrates, the Tarapacá Saltpeter Company ramped up its production. This increase was only partially achieved by hiring more men, and the other part was achieved by increasing the workload assigned to each worker. Twelve hour shifts turned into fourteen or even sixteen hour shifts. TSC higher ups didn't see a need to invest on the living conditions of the workers, as the closure of the War of the Pacific meant tens of thousands of former soldiers - and thousands of Chinese coolies who worked in Peru's guano industry - made an enormous pool of expendable labour.

Even by the standards of the time, the TSC's practices were considered exploitative. The workers demanded some improvements to their conditions, such as decent housing and a one hour lunch break, which were denied until they felt no other option but striking was available to them.
And, tolerated by the local authorities, the strike continued for two weeks before Santiago intervened. A detachment of the Navy was sent - the Army was left out of the loop as it was feared that the soldiers wouldn't shoot their former comrades - who laid siege to the offices.

Violence erupted a week after the arrival of the sailors, when a worker tried to smuggle food and was shot. This first shot was an opening for a massacre that left almost 800 dead.

Among the dead, there were 550 men and 227 women. 175 were children. 100 were Peruvians. 77 were Bolivians. 40 were Argentinians.

And 35 were Englishmen, hired to do specialized soldering work.

Last edited:
A fabulous new chapter! It's always a bit tragic to see innovation run right up against exploitative labor practices, though this was very much the norm in the 19th century. I'm surprised by how violent that turned so quickly! Then again, the practices are described as exploitative for the era.

And 35 were Englishmen, hired to do specialized soldering work.

Now that is a mildly ominous statement for the time period!