Solar Dreams: a history of solar energy (1878 - 2025)

If the Chilean government knew this was coming, why didn't they tell the US ships to piss off?
They did. The US (or rather their ambassador) decided to ignore that:
- Steelclad would be more accurate, but yes. The Atlanta, the Baltimore, the Chicago and the Dolphin. They'll stay for two weeks and will participate in good will missions in Chile... if the country so requests it, of course.
- Are you aware of the Buenos Aires Agreement between Chile and the British Empire? - Balmaceda asked.
- Of course I am. It is a treaty between two sovereing nations which doesn't involve us.
- That was not what I asked. Are you aware of the terms of agreement? In particular, article 12?
- "The Royal Navy will vet any ship coming in and out of Chilean ports, and act as its defender in case of an aggression by a third party for the duration of the Agreement." - Egan cited.
- "For the duration of the Probatory Period." - The President corrected. - But the point is understood. We have effectively lost sovereignty of our ports and it is up to the British to determine if your alphabet ships can enter Valparaíso.
- President Harrison doesn't see it that way. He sees it as a violation of the collective sovereignty of American nations.
- President Harrison's jurisdiction ends south of the Rio Grande.
- Be it that way, but the ships are still coming. President Harrison understands that Chile has sovereingty over their ports, and so has instructed the ships to obey any commands issued by the ships of the Chilean Navy. - Egan said, smirking. - If no issues are presented, then it will be understood that Chile has no issues to grant access to its ports.
- Chile has issues, and I explicitly forbid any access to Chilean ports to US warships.
- The terms have been presented, your Excellency. - venom in that last word. He used the opportunity to stand and leave.

Well I hope this Crisis gets well for Chile and quickly.

Augustin is better needed making cool new machines than worrying about a possible War and how it might effect his company.

Wonder how embarrassed President Harrison is going to be by his Ambassadors actions?

I was talking with a friend about this today, and he had an interesting thought about if it might be possible to do low-tech sun tracking without digital logic. I found this example of a system using two solar panels to do 1-D sun-angle adjustment by essentially wiring them to subtract their generation--when pointed directly into (or, well, directly away from) the sun, the system reaches a point where no current reaches the DC control motor. If it's off angle, then one array generates more power, and drives the DC motor to move the system back into line--no computers, just pure analogue circuit logic. Apparently selenium photovoltaic cells were developed in the 1880s IOTL, but couldn't be produced cost effectively--however, it might be good enough to have a small system providing "master control angles" to drive a series of boiler-style devices. It'd be interesting because it'd be a useful commercial application for photovoltaic systems, so when silicon systems are developed, there might be more existing market and production technologies to allow them to get cost effective before they can scale to primary generation themselves.

I am the aforementioned friend, and I am delighted by this TL, which I've just binged in the past few days before casting a vote for it. There are some fascinating implications here for chemical reactions that won't necessarily require fossil fuel feedstock--in particular, I wonder if the high temperatures the solar concentrators can achieve can allow for thermolysis and production of hydrogen directly from water. And whether a fossil-fuel-free way to make ammonia can result from that. South Africa and German SW Africa are another frontier for these engines (apologies if that's been discussed!).

I was actually thinking something more like a simple clockwork mechanism to brute-force compensate for earth's rotation, but an actual sun-tracker would be better, and able to respond to changes in day length. The tech for either should be present at this time--especially since photovoltaics are already under development.

EDIT: Spain, Morocco, and Algeria are other obvious candidate locations for these engines--might help economically revive Spain after the rough 19th century it had.

EDIT2: Just two small anachronisms I might point out. There was a chapter some time back with a Mass in Boston--the pre-Vatican-II Mass generally did not have a 'sign of peace' (it was performed only by the priest and those in the sanctuary itself, not the laity). And the con-artist from Ankara is perhaps less likely than one direct from Constantinople, since Ottoman Ankara was a town of under 30,000 people.

Last edited:
I am the aforementioned friend, and I am delighted by this TL, which I've just binged in the past few days before casting a vote for it. There are some fascinating implications here for chemical reactions that won't necessarily require fossil fuel feedstock--in particular, I wonder if the high temperatures the solar concentrators can achieve can allow for thermolysis and production of hydrogen directly from water. And whether a fossil-fuel-free way to make ammonia can result from that. South Africa and German SW Africa are another frontier for these engines (apologies if that's been discussed!).

I was actually thinking something more like a simple clockwork mechanism to brute-force compensate for earth's rotation, but an actual sun-tracker would be better, and able to respond to changes in day length. The tech for either should be present at this time--especially since photovoltaics are already under development.

EDIT: Spain, Morocco, and Algeria are other obvious candidate locations for these engines--might help economically revive Spain after the rough 19th century it had.

EDIT2: Just two small anachronisms I might point out. There was a chapter some time back with a Mass in Boston--the pre-Vatican-II Mass generally did not have a 'sign of peace' (it was performed only by the priest and those in the sanctuary itself, not the laity). And the con-artist from Ankara is perhaps less likely than one direct from Constantinople, since Ottoman Ankara was a town of under 30,000 people.
Also probably northern Mexico and I know Australia was mentioned before. Trying to think of some other places that have not yet been mentioned for these sort of very sunny areas that could do this sort of thing.

And welcome abroad this wonderful TL!

I was talking with a friend about this today, and he had an interesting thought about if it might be possible to do low-tech sun tracking without digital logic. I found this example of a system using two solar panels to do 1-D sun-angle adjustment by essentially wiring them to subtract their generation--when pointed directly into (or, well, directly away from) the sun, the system reaches a point where no current reaches the DC control motor. If it's off angle, then one array generates more power, and drives the DC motor to move the system back into line--no computers, just pure analogue circuit logic. Apparently selenium photovoltaic cells were developed in the 1880s IOTL, but couldn't be produced cost effectively--however, it might be good enough to have a small system providing "master control angles" to drive a series of boiler-style devices. It'd be interesting because it'd be a useful commercial application for photovoltaic systems, so when silicon systems are developed, there might be more existing market and production technologies to allow them to get cost effective before they can scale to primary generation themselves.

Suntracking is the next big problem that solar power will need to face, and one that's not trivial in pre-electronic days. It is tempting to come up with an ideal solution for the problem given our current understanding, but with the knowledge the characters have they will make a lot of different attempts until they reach a practical solution. The current state of the art is to have someone actually tracking the sun. Clockwork (in use with observatories, ether bottles in unstable configurations, water clocks, Analytical Engines... they will all need to be tried before reaching a practical way to track the sun.

For what I've investigated on the subject, even achieving the necessary rectilinear uniform motion would be difficult with 1890s technology.

And then there's the fun of actually storing solar energy. That'll be an interesting period, and paradoxically a more approachable problem in the thermal early 20th Century than in the electric present.

It's been quite a while since I've heard from you! I'm glad you're liking it! One of the key differences between this TL and OTL is the wider range of temperatures that can be reachable for industrial purposes. Augustin Mouchot in Atacama is already easily approaching (and at times surpassing ) the temperatures OTL's Odeillo experimental furnace can reach in France.

My ex researched the electochemistry of ammonia. Before we broke up (and not in speaking terms, so I can't ask her ), she explained to me that one of the uses of ammonia would be in transportation and storage of hydrogen. Combined with Stirling cryonics, storage could be made even more efficient even in the early 20th century, although I don't know what uses for H2 they'd find in this period besides a viable fuel.

Another possibility opened by solar heat is the vaporisation and condensation/sublimation of substances. New purity levels could be achieved, as well as extremely thin coatings. Perhaps even lead to the accidental discovery of some nanomaterials.

Also probably northern Mexico and I know Australia was mentioned before. Trying to think of some other places that have not yet been mentioned for these sort of very sunny areas that could do this sort of thing.

And welcome abroad this wonderful TL!

As more commercial uses are found, and the efficiency of the solar systems increases, more places will demand solar infrastructure. Deserts will be much more valuable, earlier.

Suntracking is the next big problem that solar power will need to face, and one that's not trivial in pre-electronic days. It is tempting to come up with an ideal solution for the problem given our current understanding, but with the knowledge the characters have they will make a lot of different attempts until they reach a practical solution. The current state of the art is to have someone actually tracking the sun. Clockwork (in use with observatories, ether bottles in unstable configurations, water clocks, Analytical Engines... they will all need to be tried before reaching a practical way to track the sun.

For what I've investigated on the subject, even achieving the necessary rectilinear uniform motion would be difficult with 1890s technology.
The thing is that this method doesn't need a program--it's automatic, using the photovoltaic effect directly. The panels drive the motors, which steer it to the right angle. Here's a two-axis variation, using four panels. No controllers, just analog/physical logic and DC circuits.

Going to have to do some "Google-fu" but a decade or so ago I was perusing some solar information and ran across a 'tracking' method (it's not actually but it's a linear set up that moves the unit in the general direction of the sun) that used solar heat to move the mirrors/trough as to essentially track the sun using solar heated fluid in a hydraulic system. IIRC it was only a two axis system that used a shading device to do essentially what e of pi is suggesting having equal pressure until one half of the device is 'shade' causing pressure in the other half to fall and therefore force the system to move. IIRC it was actually something that had been 'invented' in the late 1800s but for another purpose that was rediscovered in the 1970s when the article was written.

Randy

Ok a quick search turned up the article I think I was thinking about. (If not it's essentially the idea I recall)

Some other "passive" motorless trackers

Randy

Given it’s the 19thC could you not have the panels on rails and just have a team of horses/llama just pull them along during the day whilst men staff manually adjust the tilt?

Given it’s the 19thC could you not have the panels on rails and just have a team of horses/llama just pull them along during the day whilst men staff manually adjust the tilt?
That's basically what they're already doing, but it means a lot of staff per unit panel area, and some challenges for things like home solar boilers for hot water. An automatic solution powered by the energy delta across the panel if it's misaligned cuts down the staff needed for small systems as low as zero and increases how much panel area a given staff can manage for large field generation.

All this talk about low-tech control systems is fascinating I love it! Unfortunately I can't contribute myself much.

Augustin Mouchot had forgotten what rain felt like, and that he liked it. It was a cold rain, too boot. The kind of rain that prompted people to stay indoors and enjoy their time inside. The kind of rain that made his machines fall silent, and the workers to go home with their families, or to the school they had made for themselves
We're so married to the rigid workweek in the modern day that the idea that every so often you'll have an unplanned day off due to a little rail almost feels alien. I wonder what if any the long-term social impact will be of workdays being so weather-dependent.

BTW, is the most recent threadmark supposed to be there? It doesn't seem like a story post.

BTW, is the most recent threadmark supposed to be there? It doesn't seem like a story post.
No it isn't supposed to go there.

I got severe burnout, and realized that I haven't taken a vacation in four years, so I may've been making silly mistakes like that. Now I'm on vacation regaining energies. I might write during this week off.

Anyways, I've just finished the new entry and it should be uploading in a few minutes after spell checking.

Part 23: Darkened Skies, Part II
Santiago, Chile

Patrick Egan was summoned to La Moneda. The language used was terse, and did little to hide the contempt that President Balmaceda held for him. That was a good sign, for if he was altered, Patrick Egan estimated he'd be prone to make mistakes. And so, when he arrived to the Presidential Palace, he did so with confidence. The Press back in the United States had eagerly reported the voyage of the New Steel Navy as it visited ports in Cartagena, Guayaquil, El Callao and was ready to report about the visit to Valparaíso. The Press would get a much more interesting story, though.

La Moneda had changed somewhat from the time he first visited it. Radiators had replaced the old braseros used in this part of the world. Egan acknowledged that progress was being made in that weird niche Chile had found in the desert, surprising himself for the lack of reluctance in doing so. Credit were credit was due. It also made the palace a far more comfortable building than during those first days.

He was clearly unwelcome there, made to wait for half an hour as the President extended whatever meeting he was having before his. It would've been an insult to make him waste his time for such a stretch of time if it wasn't for the person that exited the Presidential Office: John Gordon Kennedy, Consul General of the British Empire in Chile. He looked tired, which pleased Egan.

"Good Evening, Mr. Egan." - were all the words the Scotsman could muster to him. Maybe that was a good signal, maybe it had driven a wedge between the Chileans and the British. He'd learn in the next minutes. The secretary invited him into the Presidential Office a few minutes later.

"Egan. Have a seat." - Balmaceda said without giving any form of salute. If Kennedy looked tired, Balmaceda looked like an insomniac. So did the Commander of the Navy Juan Williams-Rebolledo and Minister of the Exterior Jorge Riesco.

"Good Evening, your Excellency." - Egan said.

"If it weren't for the urgency of the situation, I'd have you expelled from the country under threat of cutting all relations with the United States." - Balmaceda said. - "You are the single most unprofessional person I've ever met that has reached such a high charge. Now, you will collaborate with the Chilean Government in de-escalating this situation, or you will be responsible for the deterioration of the relations between the United States and Chile."

"Why would I do such a thing? As far as I know, the relations between Chile and the United States of America are normal. The visit of the White Fleet follows international law, and the ships have a right to harbor their ships in the port."

"Cut the bullshit, Egan." - Said Juan Williams-Rebolledo. - "We dispatched a parley party to the USS Atlanta this dawn. Captain Francis Bunce was quite helpful and informed us that the dispatch ship USS Dolphin didn't make contact with them until after they've arrived in port... and that he'd complied with the request to not stop at Valparaíso if they had received it. He even sent a report to the Department of War informing of the anomalous circumstances and potential diplomatic problems such a visit would cause."

"As the Commander said, we're well aware that at least part of the US Navy acted unknowingly. We also know that at least part of the fleet stationed in Valparaíso was part of your conspiracy." - Balmaceda said.

"Then you must be aware of the orders the White Fleet received once in Valparaíso." - Egan retorted.

"To ensure the sovereignty of American States and provide assistance to any country that has undue external influence from European powers." - Balmaceda said. - "Quite the positive wording for what it is, itself, an intervention in the relationship between two countries."

"Isn't it? Imagine what the US public will see tomorrow morning in their newspapers. The US helping a sister Republic to shake off the shackles of British Imperialism. Quite a compelling image, wouldn't you agree? Especially now that the brits are blockading all commerce between Chile and the world."

"It is. But we're happy to inform that Royal Navy has agreed to lift the blockade and recall all its ships to Valparaíso, where they're needed the most at this moment. Captain Bunce's testimony proved instrumental in convincing Mr. Kennedy that Chile had acted in good faith to prevent the arrival of the US Ships."

Patrick Egan hadn't accounted that the British would agree so quickly to de-escalate the situation, not after the animosity that still existed towards the Chileans in Great Britain. He hoped for it to last one or two months at least instead of just two weeks, to at least put some pressure on the Chilean economy that would make for good headlines. Without it, any assistance the US Navy could give to negotiate an exit of the Royal Navy was less valuable.

"Well... that's good news. I can see that our presence is acting as a moderating influence already. Perhaps we can keep cooperating until the Republic of Chile has fully regained its sovereignty." Egan said, after thinking for a moment.

"You know damn well that it was the presence of the US Navy - which came uninvited and under deceitful orders, I remind you - which caused the blockade. Now, we are requesting the withdrawal of the ships from the port of Valparaíso at the soonest possible opportunity."

Egan smiled a calculatedly insincere smile. "Of course, your Excellency. Is there anything else I can do for you?".
"Leave this office as soon as possible. We still have a lot to coordinate to solve this mess."

Patrick Egan stood and left, without saying a word. The news were disheartening, but perhaps they could be manipulated to suit his - and by extension the United States' - interests. Perhaps he could call some friends in the Press.

The thing is that this method doesn't need a program--it's automatic, using the photovoltaic effect directly. The panels drive the motors, which steer it to the right angle. Here's a two-axis variation, using four panels. No controllers, just analog/physical logic and DC circuits.
From a technical perspective, this is indeed one of the most efficient options and one that is feasible with the technology available in this TL. However, there are some hurdles that will retard the adoption of it:

1.- Cottrell's design (based on Mouchot parabolic through) is linear, so it only needs to be adjusted once a day to reach peak efficiency, to account for Earth's axis shift. The boiler is already aligned with Earth's rotation.

2.- Mouchot isn't aware of early photovoltaics, nor is it probable that he or his team would come up with such a solution if he was made aware as his time is mostly spent working on concentrated solar heat and cryonics, and he supposes that suntracking is a problem that can be "brute forced". Their circular parabolic mirrors used by Mouchot would benefit from automated suntracking. And in Atacama, they can afford to lose some efficiency as the irradiance is just that much.

3.- Dr. Hess work in Sicily has access to cheap labour, so there's no need for suntracking yet.

It is always tempting to write the most efficient solution as soon as available, but one has to consider the storytelling and human aspect of it. Ideas take time to coalesce. In the meantime, people will experiment with less efficient and more complicated solutions.

Going to have to do some "Google-fu" but a decade or so ago I was perusing some solar information and ran across a 'tracking' method (it's not actually but it's a linear set up that moves the unit in the general direction of the sun) that used solar heat to move the mirrors/trough as to essentially track the sun using solar heated fluid in a hydraulic system. IIRC it was only a two axis system that used a shading device to do essentially what e of pi is suggesting having equal pressure until one half of the device is 'shade' causing pressure in the other half to fall and therefore force the system to move. IIRC it was actually something that had been 'invented' in the late 1800s but for another purpose that was rediscovered in the 1970s when the article was written.

Randy

These are the types of solutions that will be experimented - and quite possibly adopted - to tackle the sun tracking problem. As for Mouchot's work in Atacama, his first solution will be decidedly inefficient.

Ok a quick search turned up the article I think I was thinking about. (If not it's essentially the idea I recall)

Some other "passive" motorless trackers

Randy

Notech Magazine (which is an inspiration for this thread) had an article on a simple sun tracker.

All this talk about low-tech control systems is fascinating I love it! Unfortunately I can't contribute myself much.

We're so married to the rigid workweek in the modern day that the idea that every so often you'll have an unplanned day off due to a little rail almost feels alien. I wonder what if any the long-term social impact will be of workdays being so weather-dependent.

The long term impacts of Solar technologies - and the parallel developments that can be obtained from it - will be studied in depth (that's the fun of alternate history). All I know for now is that the 21st Century will be unrecognizable for an OTL visitor.