So You Think You Can Tell... - Pink Floyd Timeline

1989/2000: Live in Venice, the Return of Barrett, The Wall in Berlin, La Carrera Panamericana (Part One)

The Return of Roger Barrett

Invited by David Gilmour, the former frontman of Pink Floyd surprisingly accepted his invitation to produce the compilation of demos and outtakes of the recording sessions of 'The Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett'. "He said to me that haven't touched a guitar on these years. I suggested to him to practice a bit with the guitar, we can try to make some overdubs.", David Gilmour.
The day finally arrived when Barrett and his sister met Gilmour and the crew at the Astoria:

Gilmour: "Hello Rose, Hello Roger."

Barrett: "Hello Dave. Should we going in?"

Gilmour: "Yes, sure. It's pretty windy today."

"I had some certain feeling to work with Syd again. Something like, nostalgia, I don't know. I wonder that everyone was having the same feeling too.", Gilmour. "Barrett was quiet sometimes, but also laughed with some jokes."

Mason: "Sure that you don't want to record a new album, Roger?"

Barrett: "So... it's what I'm supposed to do now!"

*laughs in the studio*

The band and Barrett made minimal overdubs on 'The Madcap'/'Barrett' demos plus the song 'Two of a Kind', and the band overdubbed entirely the last Barrett recording sessions, to release it as an EP. "That was a masterpiece. Syd fans would die of pleasure if we've released that. So we did.", Gilmour. Pink Floyd released 'The Madcap'/'Barrett' material as 'Opel', and the unreleased material as 'His Last Works EP'.

R-5865196-1404927970-6130.jpeg.jpg

Syd Barrett's Opel cover.

mig

Barrett's 'His Last Works EP' cover.
'Opel' was well-received by the critics, and 'His Last Works EP' too, but received a minimal success, but a reasonable success between the closer fans of the band. The song, 'Two of a Kind', was released as a single, and ironically became more successful than the two compilations. It was played at mainstream radios of the early 90's in the UK and the continental Europe, and then remotely was discarded. Richard Wright and David Gilmour sang the song at the last Pink Floyd's tour.

Pink Floyd would still maintain a contact with Syd. The closest members were David Gilmour, and later, Roger Waters, which were also Syd's childhood friends. "I've visited Syd on his last years. Not to talk only about Pink Floyd, but to remember some moments of our childhood. Yeah, those were good moments.", Roger Waters.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, this is what one man believed the "His Last Works" EP would sound like. All you have to do is imagine the Floyd playing in the background instead of him. In the description of the video on YouTube, he provides a link to Facebook where he has created an overdubbed version of the title track "Opel", which is just as good as this.

Last edited:
Presuming that she toured with Pink Floyd and worked with them in OTL, yes, sure.
She did for a long time as main backing singer with her sister, was also lead singer for house group Blue Pearl, and later worked / toured (still does) with Floyd tribute acts like the Australian Pink Floyd.

For anyone interested, this is what one man believed the "His Last Works" EP would sound like. All you have to do is imagine the Floyd playing in the background instead of him. In the description of the video on YouTube, he provides a link to Facebook where he has created an overdubbed version of the title track "Opel", which is just as good as this.

Thank you! I've updated it now with the version!

While I do not update here, take a look at my OTHER Pink Floyd Timeline, but this time focused on Syd Barrett with the famous plot, "What would happen if Syd hadn't stopped to make music?". I hope you'll like it! :):)

Hello!!
So, almost two years without an update in the SYTYCT timeline.
Lately I've been thinking on revive and restart it, since there are a lot of things that I want to fix. So...

THE TIMELINE WILL RESTART SOON.

New changes, such as the albums, will happen.

1977/78: Problems and Resolutions

PF77Comp.jpg

Pink Floyd performing in Montreal, with Snowy White. July 6th, the same day of the spat incident.

After the 'In The Flesh Tour'...

Due to the stress after the tour and the incident at the last gig (Montreal, July 6th; Roger Waters spat on a fan), the Pink Floyd announced a recess lasting about a year. Then, the members of the band could concentrate into their personal lives and/or produce solo compositions. Richard Wright and David Gilmour were seeking to produce their solo albums, while Roger Waters has gone to a trip with his family, then start some projects to a next Pink Floyd album and/or a solo album.

During the recess (and so after the trip), Roger Waters was becoming even more frustrated. During the songwriting process for the next project, he had to stop many times due to the stress of his situation with Pink Floyd. At the same time, Richard Wright and David Gilmour were on a trip at Lindos, Greece (where Richard's compositions were mainly written, originally to a solo album). Their trip was happening, also during a delicate moment to Wright, who was seeing his personal relationship with Juliette Wright, who was an early mamber of Pink Floyd, deteriorate.

"There were a number of factors which were stressing me, y'know, that tour was overwhelmingly bad in psychological terms to me, and I was on a run to write another compilation of ideas which would become The Wall, and I wanted to finish those things quickly. I was forcing my mind to do something, and see David and Rick on a trip, Nick enjoying his cars made me feel so bad about them. Honestly I don't regret of leaving Pink Floyd, but I could have done something different. Imagine how great it could be we all working on a Pink Floyd version of The Wall, or a version of So Far Away... Yeah, we would be more united than anything!"
-Roger Waters, Rolling Stone, 1997
When Wright and Gilmour returning to England in early 1978, they would start to produce their albums, until something just happened. While the group, with exception of Roger Waters who would appear later on, was at the Britannia Row Studios, to discuss what was about to happen in 1978 with the band, their albums and eventual tours, Waters appeared deciding to leave the band.

"Well, Initially we've faced Roger's speak as a joke, with a certain concern about it, but eventually he started to explain what he was feeling about everything, the things about our trip, his writing blocks to the new projects to Pink Floyd. I saw that our situation wasn't good at all, we needed to appeal to him to stay in the band: "Why would you leave right at this moment?! Look over the situation of the band, it's horrendous! We need to do something about it, or we'll get bankrupt!". Well, we ended up into an argument which ended on him leaving the studios and we... basically were outraged. We didn't know what to do."
-David Gilmour, 2004
But afterwards, Waters still was, de jure, a member of the Pink Floyd. The economic crisis inside the band affected their members and their 'former' member, and they had the contractual obligation to record an album under their label. "Rick and I wrote some songs during our trip, Nick was involved in a project with Carla Bley and Robert Wyatt, so apparently everything wasn't lost. We could reunite 'em all to do something to satisfy the fans.", comments Gilmour about the problems at the time.
On March 16th, 1978, EMI released a press statement that Roger Waters left Pink Floyd.

Public reaction

With the release of the statement, the unexpected departure was bad received by the fans, who didn't accepted Roger's departure. "I remember those days clearly *slightly laughing*", says Roger, "It was, like, two weeks of fans and lunatics screaming and threatening at me on the street. One day I was punched right in the face by a crazy fan. I've literally caused a bad feeling between the fans. Of course had some people asking peacefully and confused about it, but everyday there was someone to threat me. It was worrisome for sometime, but then it became hilarious", completes Roger.

For the Pink Floyd members, the situation was almost the same: "It was a hell at the first week [...]", starts Wright, "I couldn't leave my house then someone would come to me and ask 'Why did Roger left the [Pink] Floyd?!' Obviously I became worried about the things since they have punched Roger. But I needed to focus on my marriage with Juliette and other personal problems".

"I had to be aware with the fans of the band.", says Gilmour, "I've seen what they did to Rog and I though that they could make with me too. I think the main problem of the fans was with him, not the band at all.".

"At the time, Dave was producing Kate Bush and Unicorn. I also was producing The Damned's albums", Nick Mason, "We've been asked about this a lot of times. Since the people who we were working with, to family, close friend and the media, of course. Everybody wanted to know why the hell Waters left the band! They should ask him, not us! *laughs*".

quatermass.jpg
(John Gustafson with his band, Quartermass; far left)

Another Bassist at the Studio

Pink Floyd had to replace Roger quickly. The band had just a few options, suggested by David Gilmour: "Well, I think on [Rick] Wills, John Gustafson, or Andy Bown, at least for the recording session."; Rick Wills was known by his work with Peter Frampton, Roxy Music, and his current band, The Small Faces, which he joined to the role of bassist. Wills was also known by being a member of Joker's Wild, Gilmour's former band before Pink Floyd. John Gustafson by his work with Roxy Music and the Ian Gillan Band, and Andy Bown with the Status Quo. In late June of the same year, the Floyd members entered the Britannia Row Studios and started to talk about the replacement:

Gilmour: "[...]Wills is trying to produce an album with The Small Faces, maybe later we can ask to him to help us with the album. Gustafson recently left the Ian Gillan band, we could talk to him to join the band. Andy is supporting Status Quo on their tour.", talks Gilmour to Wright and Mason.

Wright: "Yes, yes. What about Snowy White?"

Gilmour: "What about him?"

Wright: "I mean, if you mind to ask him to join the band as a member, or a second guitarist."

Gilmour: "I don't think so... Although he did a great job supporting us at the last tour and help us in Animals, I don't think we need another guitarist. But, we really need a fixed bassist, and those were my suggestions. White can't be our bassist for all time."
First but troubled sessions

The Pink Floyd entered into a studio to record new material just in July 1978, at the Super Bear Studios, four months after Roger Waters announced his departure. "We had wrote material to record a solo album, but when Roger departed, we forgot about the songs and the album. We also couldn't make solo album because we had to find another bassist, Nick and I had to produce and guide Unicorn and etc. When the situation stabilized a bit, then we finally could record an album, but, now the songs got into a Floyd record.", David Gilmour.

They've hired John Gustafson to initially help them to make the album. "We've got enough time to our hands, so we had start to make the album. Rick and Dave brought their demos to the studio and then we started to record some tracks. We've started with two compositions: 'Against the Odds', by Rick, and 'So Far Away', by Dave.", Nick Mason.

"I remember that I was hired as session musician to help them in their next album. The atmosphere in the studio was quite quiet. A year ago, when I was on [Ian] Gillan's band. Everything was more animated than the Pink Floyd's in studio. They were looking very worried about those things about contractual obligations and crisis."
-John Gustafson, 2008​

It has passed more than a year from the Montreal gig. The Pink Floyd did nothing or released any material since then. By September, the band (and Roger Waters) was experiencing financial difficulties. A financial group tried to invest money to reduce the tax liabilities. The strategy failed, then the businesses started to lose money, then leaving the band, and Roger Waters, even more in crisis. Then, they had to urgently to produce an album.

Roger Waters hired Bob Ezrin, indicated by his then wife, Judy, who was secretary of Ezrin. Then Roger also indicated Ezrin to the Floyd. "I don't want to rejoin Pink Floyd. They have now their project, and I also have my projects. I just indicated to them Bob Ezrin to work with them too. We don't have anything between us, all that things just passed, I just left the Pink Floyd because it was so much pressure, the band was limiting my ideas, y'know. Now I can work better, but I'm still a friend to them. I hope.", Roger Waters. Steve O'Rourke, manager of Pink Floyd and Roger Waters, by a request of the latter, hired James Guthrie to work with Roger Waters while the absence of Ezrin.

The recording sessions of the Pink Floyd in 1978 were more troubled than next year. Richard Wright had to solve the problems of his marriage, moving away from the band temporarily. "Rick was missing a lot of times the sessions, or arriving late. Sometimes he doesn't even entered the studio. I knew that was because of his marriage, so I talked to him and he would be away for a while.", David Gilmour. While Wright was away, Bob Ezrin helped David Gilmour in the sessions, playing the keyboards in some tracks. "We've almost finished some songs: 'Mediterranean' by Wright, and 'No Way', a piece by Dave.", Bob Ezrin.

1979: A Golden Year?

Gustafson also leaves, and Robert Wyatt comes

wyatt_70s.jpg

Magic Robert and his Wheelchair.

After the Pink Floyd return to the Super Bear Studios, Gustafson didn't appeared for three days. "We were deciding which song to record next when I noted that Gustafson wasn't there. Strangely, has passed three days since then and we haven't noted his absence. Some days later, I found him near the studio and said that he wasn't interested more on the recording album.", Nick Mason, "I told Dave about this and then we fulfilled the contract, paid his contributions, and returned to the studio".

Other collaborative person in the sessions was Robert Wyatt. The former drummer of Soft Machine released Rock Bottom and Ruth is Stranger Than Richard, both produced by Nick Mason. As Roger departs, Nick decides to merge his project with David and Rick's albums to help them to produce a new Pink Floyd album. Robert Wyatt was chosen by Nick and Carla Bley to sing the songs. "The band don't had much things to do...", says David Gilmour, "We were recording like... one or two songs, I think? Even now without Rick or John, we just were mixing the songs that were already done, and recording Nick's songs with Robert Wyatt. Wyatt was a great company and was helping us a lot with the keyboards and percussion.".

Rick Wills; and the Return of Richard Wright

rickwills.png

Rick Wills playing bass guitar during a concert, 1979.
The recording sessions for Small Faces new work, entitled '78 in the Shade' ended up being scrapped, and Rick Wills was without a band. As he was in New York City, he received a call from David Gilmour wondering if he could join Pink Floyd to record the next album. "The thing is that those sessions were going anywhere. We were recording, recording and recording but nothing was actually done and we were became unsatisfied with no results. Then we decided to fulfill our contract, and disbanded. Then, I was in New York City when David called me. It was quite... unexpected. I knew that Roger left them, but they had Snowy White and Robert [Wyatt] by their side.", says Rick Wills.

Wills entered at the studio in early February 1979. "The first thing that the band did with me were some rehearsals. Then, I started to finish some bass lines at Gilmour's songs. David became a lot attached with me, and he decided to consider me as a full-time member as we finished the new album.". Two weeks later, Wright appeared at the studio. "He looked a bit tired. I didn't received any news from him since the beginning of the year until a week ago, when Nick came to me with a letter from Rick.", David Gilmour. "Rick came into the studio then Dave started to talk with him. He looked more cheerful, but also tired.", recalling Nick Mason

Gilmour: "Hey Rick, how's going?"

Wright: "Well, I'm fine... Better than I was."

Gilmour: "So... Do you know Wills? He's our bassist for now on."

Wright: "Oh, hello! Nice to meet you! What about Gustafson?"

Wills: "Hello, Wright!"

Gilmour: "Gustafson left us, unfortunately, he lost interest in the album, so I invited Wills to help us, since The Small Faces disbanded."

"Regarding that thing... I almost have not been in the sessions with Gustafson, since I had to deal with my first marriage. Meeting Wills was great, since he's such a nice guy. Almost the same as Nick is *laughs*. And it was nice to see Robert there, different faces at the studio were good to see, and he made a great company to us until the end of About Face's tour." says Richard Wright.

No Way Out of Here issue, Roy Harper and Snowy White

1dda34d359edfe002fa6be8fa7bb35bf.jpg

Snowy White.

"One day, Dave appeared with a band's album produced by him, called 'Too Many Crooks' by Unicorn. He made us to listen a track called 'No Way Out of Here', and proposed to us to record this song. We liked it, and started to record it. But I felt that it wasn't so great to make it into a record, so I came up with the idea to give a shot as a non-album single.", Richard Wright. "'No Way Out of Here' is a very appreciated track by me, and also by the band to this day. We liked to record the track a lot, was one of the best moments of the year in the studio.", David Gilmour. Pink Floyd finished the song in May of that year, and hold it to release it as a non-album promotional single.

Richard Wright brought Snowy White for help with his songs. "I brought Snowy White to help me with some songs, and maybe help Dave with other songs." Snowy White helped Wright to end 'Against the Odds' and 'Summertime'¹. "He helped Gilmour with No Way and Nick with Siam.", ends Wright. "I'm glad to help again the Pink Floyd.", Snowy White. He also worked with the Pink Floyd supporting the In the Flesh tour, and in the studio, recording a solo to a 8-track version of Pigs On The Wing (Animals). "Rick [Wright] gave me the opportunity to help him with his songs, and maybe help with other things...".

Almost finished... just a few adjustments!

The last days of production were hard days. Mixing, editing and crossfades were all the words the Pink Floyd and Bob Ezrin were talking and hearing. "Those were the worst days of the album.", recalling Wright, "We were arriving at morning and leaving at 10pm, or sometimes we were leaving midnight!".
I remember a day from that Rick simply left the studio, quite angry, and also Nick. Who stayed there was me, Robert, Wills, and Bob Ezrin, mixing the album.", David Gilmour.

The album was announced at 15th July as 'So Far Away', with the Pink Floyd fans almost freaking out. "It was an euphoria. Everyone was getting anxious for the album.", David Gilmour. The release of the album was programmed to September 6th at the UK and 13th at the US. At the same time, Pink Floyd decides to release the single There's No Way Out of Here, a version of Unicorn's song of Too Many Crooks, by hitting the charts.

Meanwhile...

James Guthrie, Michael Kamen and Roger Waters began the production of 'Bricks on the Wall' without the presence of Bob Ezrin. They've started with a couple of easy songs, such as 'Mother', 'Is There Anybody Out There', 'Vera', and 'Goodbye Cruel World'.

In the late June, he hired some session musicians to help him with the production. Michael Kamen helped with the arrangement and playing the piano, Bob Ezrin also helped with the keyboards and synthesizers, Andy Newmark on drums, Ray Cooper on percussion, and then, Eric Clapton, Andy Fairweather Low and Snowy White (after the production of Pink Floyd's album) helped with some guitar tracks.

In July, he saw the announcement for a Pink Floyd's new album. "I was surprised that Pink Floyd managed to make an album. They were into a crisis slightly worse than I was.", Roger Waters. "Ezrin helped them a lot. I hope that Pink Floyd can get out of this crisis as soon as possible, so do I.". David Gilmour gave to Roger Waters an unfinished demo of a song, and Roger decided to expand it and write the lyrics for a Doctor Theme.

Returning to England, Waters, Guthrie and Ezrin were searching for ideas for the song 'Another Brick in the Wall - Education'. "I told them to go [Waters and Guthrie] to a couple of clubs and listen to disco music. Then we tried to turn one of the song's to be more 'catchy'.", Bob Ezrin. Another idea of Ezrin was a choir at the second verse. He contacted Nick Griffiths to approach of the music teacher of the Islington Green School, about the choir. They've used the Britannia Row Studios to record the choir.

In September, Roger Waters talked to Bruce Johnston to invite The Beach Boys to record and even work with the album. The session was scheduled to November. "I liked how they work with the harmony vocals, and I wanted to do something with them, maybe even more than just 'Who's Sorry Now?'. It was great when they have accepted to do this, since their voices would fit in other songs.", Roger Waters.

Notes:
[¹] ATL Working name for Summer Elegy.
[²] This almost happened in OTL, but the session was cancelled.

So Far Away
SO FAR AWAY

So Far Away is the eleventh studio album by English rock band, Pink Floyd, released primarily in 6 September 1979 by Harvest Records, and distributed in the United Kingdom and Europe. In the United States and the rest of the World, the album was released in 9 September by Columbia Records. Produced by Bob Ezrin, So Far Away is the first Pink Floyd without Roger Waters, who left the group in early 1978 and the first one with bassist Rick Wills, who replaced Roger in 1979.

After the unexpected departure of Roger Waters from Pink Floyd, the band had the contractual obligation with Columbia and EMI to release a new album, and also the issues of tax liabilities and financial problems. David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason were forced to move to France, at the Super Bear Studios, to record the album. Originally, the album was three solo projects by each member of the group, but with the departure of Roger, they needed to merge the records. Initially, John Gustafson was hired to play the basslines of the album, but after a disinterest, he left Pink Floyd, and Rick Wills ended up joining the group as a full-time member. The album was the start of Nick Mason and Carla Bley collaboration on songwriting, with Robert Wyatt being the guest voice.

When the album was announced, Pink Floyd released their first non-album single in eleven years, a version of Unicorn's (There's) No Way Out of Here, which made a great success in the United Kingdom and Europe. Then, one month before the release, Pink Floyd releases No Way, peaking in number 3 at the UK Singles Charts and number 10 at the Billboard Hot 100. The album was released with a moderate success and generally positive reviews, peaking in number 3 in Billboard 200, while it topped in UK Album Charts. Two months later, the group released the title track So Far Away, by being a moderate hit in the United States, playing in radios throughout the country.

The album lyrically is a mix of feelings and thoughts about the band during the last years, with hopes and uncertainties, mainly with problems during the stressful In the Flesh tour, Roger's departure, and personal problems between the members. The critics says that the sound of the album is quite different of what Pink Floyd has ever produced, mainly due to the Jazz influences on Richard Wright and Nick Mason's songs.

Pink Floyd - So Far Away (1979) 400px.png

PINK FLOYD - SO FAR AWAY (1979)
Genre: Progressive rock, jazz fusion, blues rock
Total: 48:26
Produced by Bob Ezrin, Nick Mason and David Gilmour
Billboard 200: #3
UK Album Charts: #1

Side A - 25:16
"Mediterranean C" (Richard Wright) - 3:52
2. "So Far Away" (David Gilmour) - 5:50
3. "Siam" (Nick Mason-Carla Bley) - 4:48
4. "Cat Cruise" (Wright) - 5:14
5. "No Way" (Gilmour) - 5:32

Side B - 23:10
"Mihalis" (Gilmour) - 5:46
7. "Against the Odds" (Wright, Juliette Wright) - 3:57
8. "Raise My Rent" (Gilmour) - 5:33
9. "Do Ya?" (Mason-Bley) - 4:26
10. "Pink's Song" (Wright) - 3:28​

Personnel
Pink Floyd
David Gilmour -
lead vocals [2, 5], lead guitar; keyboards; lap steel guitar
Richard Wright - lead vocals [7, 10], piano, keyboards, electric piano, Hammond organ, Oberheim synthesizer
Nick Mason - drums, percussion, co-producer
Rick Wills - bass guitar, backing vocals

Additional personnel
Bob Ezrin - piano, keyboards, producer
Robert Wyatt - lead vocals [3, 9], percussion
Carla Bley - keyboards
John Gustafson - bass guitar
Mel Collins - saxophone, flute
Dick Parry - saxophone
Hipgnosis - cover design, photography
James Guthrie - mixing engineer

1980: Brand New Decade

Beach Bricks to Build The Wall

hqdefault.jpg

Brian Wilson at Knebworth, 1980.

Still in the year of 1979, Roger Waters and Bob Ezrin arrived the Sundance Productions, Inc to start the scheduled vocal session with the Beach Boys for the song "Who's Sorry Now?".

"I knew Bruce [Johnston] for a long time, and Bob Ezrin and I scheduled some sessions with The Beach Boys, with support of Bruce. Originally I had the idea to make them sing Who's Sorry Now, but they made it so wonderful that I had the idea to invite them to the project. They've contributed a lot for the album. Brian and Carl's voices combined a lot with their parts, and also the Beach Boys choir at 'Goodbye Blue Sky' and 'Who's Sorry Now?' was a beautiful thing to listen.".
-Roger Waters​

"We had to make our next album, a follow-up to Adult/Child, since we were back in the charts. So Roger and Ezrin were doing the instrumental part while we were recording our album. When we finished the recording sessions for our album, we started to work for The Wall."
-Brian Wilson​

By the Way, Which Song is Pink?

While the manager, Steve O'Rourke, was organizing the next tour, the members of the Pink Floyd had the complete freedom to choose the setlist. "We had a bit of indecision to make the setlist. I also convinced Wright to sing some of his songs. He isn't a lot of sing his songs, but we needed to add things to our setlist, y'know", Gilmour. "Sometimes we need to make a sacrifice.", says Wright. "He didn't want just to put his songs and he convinced me to perform some of my songs."

"Dave let me perform my a song that I wrote when I was recording with The Small Faces. We ended up not recording it [with Small Faces], and Pink Floyd did not have time to record it.", says Rick Wills. Other songs decided to the encore were 'Have a Cigar', 'One of These Days', and 'Fat Old Sun'. "The tour will start in June, so we can't waste time.", David Gilmour.

Wright: "[...] Uhh... What about any pre-Dark Side song? We could perform any of them besides the Wish You Were Here/Dark Side of the Moon axis.".

Gilmour: "It's a good idea, but I don't feel comfortable to sing those songs..."

Wright: "What about 'Saucerful of Secrets'? *slightly laughing*"

Gilmour: "*laughing* Excuse me?!"

Wills: "Hey, what about Echoes?"

Gilmour: "We haven't been performing it for five years... It's a good suggestion [...]"

Back to The Wall

In the end of Febuary, the Beach Boys arrived at the Producers Workshop, Los Angeles to finish their work with Roger Waters. "They had to finish the sessions of 'Outside the Wall' and 'Bring the Boys Back Home'.", Ezrin. "Then, Ezrin comes to me with the idea to bring Alice Cooper to sing some songs too. 'Oh my, you must be f**king kidding me...'", Roger Waters. "Unfortunately, it was also a good idea, so I was forced to agree with him. *laughs*".

"I was invited by Ezrin to a rehearsal to sing on a Waters' album, called The Wall. Like, it has passed one year since I've performed on the side of the Pink Floyd, so... in less than two years I've worked with people associated to Pink Floyd. But honestly I was quite amazed to collaborate in Roger's album since Pink Floyd was very influential to me in the early years, I remember that we hosted them during that disastrous tour [in 1968].".
-Alice Cooper​

"He performed 'In the Flesh', the Part 3 of 'Another Brick in the Wall', and performed The Prosecutor/The Schoolmaster in 'The Trial by Puppet'", with perfection. He incorporated the characters perfectly." , recalling Roger Waters.

The Last Few Bricks...

The last recording sessions were finished in late April of 1980. The album was entirely mixed in May by James Guthrie and Bob Ezrin. Roger Waters announced the album in 15th May, and its release dates, 12th June in the UK and 20th June in the US. Eventually, the Beach Boys recording sessions of The Wall were released on bootlegs, the most famous one, "Beach Boys' The Wall" had a lot of takes and songs performed by Brian Wilson and Beach Boys that weren't included in the finished album.

"It wasn't so hyped as it was So Far Away.", remembering Roger Waters. "But, certainly, some fans got crazy for the album, while others still preferred Pink Floyd.". One week before the release, Roger Waters released the song 'Another Brick in the Wall (Education)' as single, and 'In the Flesh' performed by Alice Cooper as B-Side.

"We've seen that Rog announced his album but we didn't gave so much attention. We were busy with the tour. But when the album was released we bought the album in France to listen it in our free-time.", says David Gilmour.

So Far Away tour

pigs-pinkfloyd1-735x413.jpg

Pink Floyd performing in Miami, Florida; 1980.

Pink Floyd's So Far Away tour was performed at medium to large venues, from 1980 to early 1981, passing through North America, Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Pink Floyd was supported by a reunited Unicorn and Robert Wyatt, who opened every show to them.

Setlist:
Unicorn
"Disco Dancer" (Ken Baker)
2. "Slow Dancing" (Baker)
3. "Blue Pine Trees" (Baker)
4. "Weekend" (Baker)
5. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" (John Fogerty)

Robert Wyatt
"I'm a Believer" (Neil Diamond)
2. "Little Robin Hood Hit the Road" (Robert Wyatt)
3. "Born Again Cretin" (Wyatt)
4. "Stalin Wasn't Stallin'" (Willie Johnson)

Set One
The entire So Far Away album.
Set Two
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright)
2. "Breathe in the Air" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright)
3. "On the Run" (Gilmour, Waters)
4. "Time/Breathe (Reprise)" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason)
5. "The Great Gig in the Sky" (Wright)
6. "Wish You Were Here" (Gilmour, Waters)
7. "Money" (Waters)
8. "Us and Them" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright)
9. "Any Colour You Like" (Gilmour, Wright, Mason)
10. "Brain Damage/Eclipse" (Waters)
Encore
Typical encore
"There's No Way Out of Here" (Ken Baker) [featuring Unicorn]
2. "Thinkin' About Love" (Rick Wills)
3. "One of These Days" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason)
4. "Fat Old Sun" (Gilmour)

Occasional encores
a. "Echoes" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) - performed from Oakland, CA, then dropped in Cleveland, OH, instead of the typical encore.
b. "Summer '68" (Wright) - performed in Frankfurt, West Germany; Rotterdam, Netherlands and Antwerp, Belgium. It was performed before 'Fat Old Sun' and after 'One of These Days'.
c. "Childhood's End" (Gilmour) - performed in New York City as the last song.
d. "Have a Cigar" (Gilmour, Waters) - performed in New York City by Roy Harper
e. "Maze" (Gilmour, Wright, Mason, Wills) - Jamming occasionally performed at some shows; similar to 'Any Colour You Like'.

Tour band
David Gilmour -
lead vocals, backing vocals, lead guitar, lap steel guitar
Richard Wright - lead vocals, backing vocals, keyboards, Hammond organ
Nick Mason - drums, percussion - (1st half of the European leg; New York City shows)
Rick Wills - backing vocals, bass guitar

Unicorn (Supporting band)
Ken Baker -
guitars, backing vocals, vocals on "There's No Way Out of Here"
Pat Martin - bass guitar
Pete Perryer - drums, percussion

Additional musicians
Snowy White -
guitar, backing vocals, bass guitar
Robert Wyatt - lead vocals, percussion
Dick Perry - saxophone, flute
Carlena Williams - harmony vocals, backing vocals
Debbie Doss - harmony vocals, backing vocals
Shirley Roden - harmony vocals, backing vocals
Roy Harper - vocals on "Have a Cigar" and "Short and Sweet" at London and New York.
Willie Wilson - drums, percussion - (after the 1st half of the European leg)

RADIO INTERVIEW w/David Gilmour and Richard Wright - 15TH JULY, 1980

We are now with two members of a band which came back after a hard time and released an album almost a year ago... David Gilmour and Richard Wright from Pink Floyd!

Gilmour: "Hello!"

Wright: "Hi there!"

Let me ask you, uh... So, what happened in the last years with the band? Like, the background and the album...

Gilmour: "Everything started after our last tour. We knew about the economic problems that we had, but we also were at recess. At the same time, Roger returned back from his trip and started to write a new project for the Pink Floyd, and Wright and I went to Greece to a trip."

Wright: "I was writing some songs for a solo album, which eventually some songs became tracks for the So Far Away album. We didn't knew that Roger was about to have, like, a breakdown."

Gilmour: "We've returned to England in the end of February, 1978, and some weeks later Roger talked to us, like 'I'm out.'. After this we searched a bassist to hire and then, start to produce the album."

Did any of you talked with Roger Waters since then?

Wright: "I saw him once time, while we were mixing the album Ezrin was talking with him. He was nice to me, cordially, talking about our everyday tasks."

Gilmour: "I talked with him when we were mixing our album. He was there to record 'The Wall' with Ezrin, Kamen and Guthrie. Yeah, we used the same studios."

About The Wall, any of you listened to the album?

Gilmour: "I've listened to Another Brick in the Wall when the track was released as single. I think, the song isn't bad, but I don't like it... it is too much funky, too much disco-ish. In our free-time, we've listened to the album. I liked 'Young Lust' a lot, most of the particular blues-oriented songs I liked."

Wright: "As Dave said, we've listened the album in our free-time. I think [Bob] Ezrin worked well at 'Nobody Home', and also worked well with the keyboards. About Another Brick in the Wall, I liked quite a bit. That children choir in the second verse was a very interesting idea."

Let's change the subject... What about the tour?

Gilmour: "Tour's going well at least, we've started to perform in Zürich, then Marseille and now Paris. We're looking forward on Rotterdam and Antwerp. We have our classical stage screen and Unicorn, with Robert Wyatt is supporting the tour. Nothing too much decorated, just we casually playing our songs, y'know."

Rumours that you'll add more songs to the encore. Is it true?

Gilmour: "I don't know, if the audience be nice to us *laughs*"

Why did you chose to play at medium-large venues, instead of the large venues as the last tour?

Wright: "We had chosen these venues to not create a bad atmosphere, like it was at 'In the Flesh tour'. After the tour we were stressed and tired a lot. Of course, it could happen with any band, but it was our first time of frequently performing at large venues. At the last gig, Dave abruptly left the stage during the encore."

Gilmour: "Steve [O'Rourke] had chosen almost the same cities to play the gigs. We've suggested to him to choose normal venues instead of those big 'coliseums' and stadiums."

How many legs the tour will have?

Gilmour: "We are currently at the European tour, then we'll get our bags and go to the US. Maybe after the American leg we will go to Australia/New Zealand then Japan, but nothing confirmed about the Japanese leg yet. At least, Steve did not told us about the Asia/Oceania leg."

Now let's talk about your album. Which song did you like most?

Wright: "Technically I liked the entire album *laughs*. But I liked to work on 'So Far Away' and in my instrumentals. The recording sessions of the entire album after I returned to record were superb, everyone was... quite animated.".

Gilmour: "Well, Wright basically said everything. I also liked to work 'So Far Away', and my songs, y'know.".

On the back cover it says that John Gustafson worked with you. How it was work with him?

Wright:
"I almost did anything with Gustafson because I had some problems. Then, Gilmour can say how it was work with him."

Gilmour: "It was normal, after all. We asked to him play some bass lines and he attended, like was work with Wills. So far, I still don't understand why he left the band in the sessions. I think he was bothered how we were working."

Do you pretend to release new material in the next years?

Gilmour: "Yes, why not? After the tour we'll release maybe a new album, since we have a lot of material already written since Roger has left."

Wright: "We have a couple of unreleased material that we made during the So Far Away sessions. Maybe we can release that on a new album."

Well, thank you so much for this interview, and good luck at the tour.

Gilmour: "Thank you, and you're welcome!"

Wright: "Thank you!"

Mom, there's a Giant Wall at the Stage

Roger Waters was also preparing himself to a tour. A short, but ambitious tour. Gigantic puppets and a Wall at the stage were part of his conceptual piece which would present in three cities (Los Angeles, Uniondale and London)¹. "[...] The last four days [in Los Angeles]... can the Beach Boys appear?", Roger Waters talking with Bob Ezrin and Steve O'Rourke, "They returned from a tour in Europe, I think they probably can perform. We need to talk with Bruce [Johnston].", O'Rourke.
"I thought in invite the Pink Floyd for a gig, but it's too early to a reunion. They're also in a tour so... it's almost impossible to do this.", Roger Waters. "Alice Cooper can perform in Uniondale, maybe?".
The first show of the tour is scheduled from November 21st to November 28th at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, featuring the Beach Boys. The Uniondale shows were scheduled from February 22nd to February 26th, featuring Alice Cooper, and the London shows were scheduled from June 21st to June 26th.

The Wall Tour

052-PinkFloyd-Wall-80-A-1056.jpg

The Wall being built, 1980.
Setlist:

Set one
Side A and Side B of The Wall

Set two
Side C and Side D of The Wall

Encore
"Money" (Waters) - occasionally

Tour band:
Roger Waters - lead vocals, acoustic guitar on 'Mother', 'Hey You', bass guitar, clarinet on 'Outside the Wall'
Andy Bown - bass guitar, acoustic guitar on 'Outside the Wall'
Peter Wood - keyboards, acoustic guitar on 'Outside the Wall'
Clive Brooks - drums, percussion
Andy Roberts - guitars
Michael Kamen - musical director
Beach Boys - harmony vocals, backing vocals (Los Angeles)
Alice Cooper - vocals on 'Another Brick in the Wall (Drugs)', 'In the Flesh' and 'The Trial' (New York)
Joe Chemay - backing vocals
Stan Farber - backing vocals
Jim Haas - backing vocals
John Joyce - backing vocals
Jim Ladd - MC (Los Angeles)
Gary Yudman - MC (London and New York)

Notes:
[¹] IOTL: The Wall Tour presented in four cities, Los Angeles, Uniondale, London and Dortmund. ITTL Roger Waters doesn't perform in Dortmund.

The Wall
THE WALL

The Wall is the first studio album by the British rock musician, Roger Waters. It was released as a double album in 12 June 1980 in the United Kingdom and Europe by Harvest Records and in 20 June in the US and the World by the Columbia Records. Produced by Bob Ezrin, The Wall is the first album of Roger Waters after his departure from Pink Floyd, caused by stress of the In the Flesh tour.

The concept of the album came after the In the Flesh tour with the Pink Floyd. Dealing with the pressure with the band, Waters decided to leave the band. After all, he wrote the lyrics and hired Bob Ezrin to help him with the album. Ezrin hired Michael Kamen to help with the album's arrangements. With Ezrin's absence, O'Rourke also hired James Guthrie to help Roger Waters while Ezrin was helping the Pink Floyd. Its story, has also deep themes, such as abandonment and social isolation, and explores George Fletcher¹, a character whom Waters developed after himself.

Is recognized as one of the most famous concept albums of all-time. The album peaked in number 14 in the Billboard 200 for two weeks, and peaked at number 4 at the UK Album Charts. Initially received with mixed reviews, The Wall started to receive mostly positive reviews, mainly with the participation of Alice Cooper interpreting the heavy song, and The Beach Boys harmony.

The track 'Another Brick in the Wall (Education)' was released a week before with 'In the Flesh' performed by Alice Cooper as B-Side. The song was a enormous hit² and topped the Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Singles Chart. One point for Roger Waters over his former band, Pink Floyd. "Hey You" was also released as a single, and by the success of Another Brick in the Wall, the song peaked at the 18th position at Billboard Hot 100, and 9th at the UK Singles Chart.
Pink_Floyd_-_The_Wall.jpg

ROGER WATERS & BLEEDING HEART BAND - THE WALL (1980)
Genre: Progressive rock, hard rock, art rock
Total: 01:26:30
All tracks written by Roger Waters (except the first track).
Produced by Bob Ezrin, Roger Waters and Brian Wilson

Side A - 20:09
1. "The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot" (Carr, Connor, Leach; arr. Ezrin, Beach Boys) - 0:55
2. "In the Flesh?" - 3:16
3. "Another Brick in the Wall (Reminiscing)" - 3:21
4. "The Thin Ice" (Waters, Wilson) - 2:27
5. "Goodbye Blue Sky" (Waters, Wilson) - 2:45
6. "Education's Prelude" - 3:26³

7. "Another Brick in the Wall (Education)" - 3:59 (Waters, Ezrin)

Side B - 22:17
1. "Mother" (Waters, Wilson) - 5:32
2. "What Shall We Do Now?" - 3:50ª
3. "Young Lust" - 3:25
4. "Don't Leave Me Now" - 4:01
5. "One of My Turns" - 3:41
6. "Another Brick in the Wall (Drugs)" (Waters) - 1:48

Side C - 20:03
1. "Hey You" - 4:40
2. "Goodbye Cruel World" - 0:48
3. "Is There Anybody Out There? (Part I)" - 0:53
4. "Nobody Home" - 3:26
5. "Vera" - 1:35
6. "Bring the Boys Back Home" (Waters, Wilson) - 1:21
7. "Is There Anybody Out There? (Part II)" - 1:19
8. "Comfortably Numb" - 6:21

Side D - 24:01
1. "Is There Anybody Out There? (Part III)" - 2:01
2. "Who's Sorry Now?" (Waters, Wilson) - 2:07
3. "In The Flesh" (Waters, Cooper) - 4:32
4. "Waiting For The Worms" - 4:04
5. "Stop" - 0:32
6. "The Trial by Puppet" (Waters, Ezrin) - 5:13
7. "Outside the Wall (It's Never Too Late)" (Waters, Wilson, Ezrin) - 5:32
Personnel:
Roger Waters - lead vocals [except 1, 4, 5, 13, 21, 23, 24], Schoolmaster [27], The Judge [27], acoustic guitar, bass guitar, synthesizers; tape effects
Bob Ezrin - piano, keyboards, Hammond organ, synthesizers, backing vocals
James Guthrie - percussion, synthesizers; sound effects
Snowy White - guitars
Eric Clapton - guitars, backing vocals
Andy Fairweather Low - guitars
Andy Newmark - drums, percussion
Brian Wilson - lead vocals [4, 5, 8, 23, 28], harmony vocals
Carl Wilson - lead vocals [4, 8, 23, 28], Mother [27]
Dennis Wilson - harmony vocals
Mike Love - harmony vocals, Prosecutor [27]
Al Jardine - harmony vocals
Bruce Johnston - harmony vocals
Alice Cooper - lead vocals in [7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 21], The Wife [27]
Vicki Brown & Clare Torry - backing vocals

Production team:
Roger Waters - co-producer, sleeve design
Bob Ezrin - production, orchestral arrangement, music on "The Trial by Puppet"
James Guthrie - co-producer, engineer
Michael Kamen - orchestral arrangement
Gerald Scarfe - sleeve design

Notes:
[¹] ATL Pink.
[²] Was a big hit as OTL.
[³] The Last Few Bricks (instrumental passage after Another Brick in the Wall at OTL shows)
[ª] Empty Spaces + What Shall We Do Now

1981/85: End of Tour, New Albums on Demand (Part One)

An Endless Tour...

a4bdc75462959f91228821932e4f4f07_full.jpg

Richard Wright at the So Far Away tour.

After another exhaustive night at the Boston Garden, Pink Floyd was almost in the end of the road of their tour. The final gig would be in New York City, at three days in a row, similar to the In the Flesh tour. "The tour wasn't stressing as last one, but it was exhaustive as hell. In Toronto we started to counting down to the end of the tour.", says Wright. "Mostly of the US leg, Nick was out by recording and producing some obligations with the label. But he did get a permission to perform in the end of the tour. And he appeared at the right time. He animated everyone during the rehearsals.", David Gilmour.

Roy Harper was also in New York, invited by Pink Floyd, to perform with the band and 'Have a Cigar' and 'Short and Sweet', a song by David and Roy which remained unreleased as many other songs. His appearance was proposed shortly before the American leg. Eventually, the highlights of the New York concerts, among with other encores which did not were performed in New York, were released as a live album called 'Eclipse'.

What's New at the Studios?

RPF%201981%20Nick%20Mason.jpg

Nick Mason during the recording sessions of Holidays.

After the tour, Pink Floyd members decided to stop working for three months. After the period, the band reunited in Britannia Row to record a follow-up to So Far Away. "Well... What we had? Two songs unmixed of the previous album, a lot of sketch pages mostly with one to four chords, and other songs that we haven't recorded yet.", David Gilmour. "Actually, Nick was the one that was contributing a lot to Holidays at the time. Since at his free time he was doing his things such as piloting cars or producing albums, I wouldn't be surprised if he proceeded with the recording session with Robert Wyatt or Carla Bley without us."

To record Mad Yannis Dance, Waves, and It's Deafinitely, the tracks passed through the same process, although, they were composed by different members. While Rick composed the first two instrumentals, David composed the last mentioned. "To record the instrumentals, we did some sort of jam for about ten or fifteen minutes to each song, and we added other instruments after, if needed. The saxophonist Dick [Parry] also participated, mostly on Rick's tracks. It was a good strategy, I liked a lot to do that, in one take.", Rick Wills.

A former Syd Barrett in trouble

Paparazzis, lunatic fans, reporters and more. This was the last weeks of the former Syd Barrett in June, after a fan magazine leak your address to the public. And the police being unable to contain the invaders, he had to appeal to a famous crew. I was walking past a newsstand, going to Britannia Row [studios], when I see in large letters, "Former frontman of The Pink Floyd in trouble", remembering Nick Mason. "First of all, I thought that was Waters, but they were talking about Syd, that his address has been leaked. Quite unexpected, but at the same time expected. They could do anything to meet Syd.".

A bald man, with some hair grown, who is about to reach his 35 years old, enters Britannia Row Studios with a woman, who appears to be some relative, searching for a group called "Pink Floyd". "We were called to the office because the receptionist told us about a man who said that he's Syd Barrett, and he was searching for us.", David Gilmour. "I remember that we were recording Nick's 'I Was Wrong' when the receptionist called us to see him. We were prepared to that moment, since he heard the news.", Richard Wright. Face-to-face, the band immediately recognized their former frontman, not so shocked as the last time:

Mason: "So, apparently he came..."

Gilmour: "Well, how are you Syd? Or may I call you Roger?"

Barrett: "No problem on call me Syd. You are all okay with this."

Gilmour: "Okay, so... What brings you here? Record a new album or anything else?"

Barrett: "No thanks, we've already did this some years ago, heh. I came here to talk about something that... I think you may already know.

Gilmour: "It is about that leak thing of your address? Well, we can do something..."

Rosemary (Barrett's sister): "Please, you have to stop those people to come to our house to simply talk with Roger. We can't hold this any more! Even the police couldn't contain those people!"

"Syd was particularly doing well, apparently. He did that surgery, rehabilitation as Rosemary said to me, but he was kind of... a recluse person. We already knew about his condition since Wish You Were Here. It's a bit boring, since he wasn't interested on record new material, but we all respected him until the end. But actually, he managed to help us to release some compilations of his work, and he wanted to stay in touch with us. That was quite nice of him, and helped us to now what's going on with him with no worries. Like, until 1981, we thought that Syd was sad, still looking the same as he was when he appeared in the sessions of WYWH. We were happy to him."
- David Gilmour​

The New Album
story_half_width.jpg

David Gilmour during the recording sessions. Bold of Roger to give him a shirt of his tour.
The track, Hot River, was conceived by David Gilmour while he was listening to the demo recorded by Mason and Wyatt. "I had a blast when I heard the demo. The idea was basically turn the song into a blues rock song. That would be perfect.", Gilmour. Hot River occupied one week of the sessions, along with Holiday, and I Can't Breathe Anymore. In September, Pink Floyd started to mix the album, without Bob Ezrin at the time. "It was our first time without Ezrin or Roger, and since Dave and I already had produced some records to other people, so we decided to try out to mix the album by ourselves this time.", Nick Mason.

Pink Floyd announced the new album as Holidays, to be released in two months. There were two promotional singles released to hype the new record, the title track, with a music video featuring Richard Wright on piano and singing, mixed with inserts in Lindos and the Mediterranean, recorded all by Pink Floyd, and Hot River, featuring Robert Wyatt and David Gilmour together. Holiday was edited to the radios, but the album version of the song was played on TV normally.

In February 23rd, 1982, the Pink Floyd released a compilation album with their Greatest hits, called "Works (A Collection of Great Dance Songs)". It features 'One of These Days', a re-recorded version of 'Money' by the entire band, 'Arnold Layne', 'So Far Away', 'Short and Sweet', an edited version of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', 'Wish You Were Here', and their last hit, the non-album single '(There's) No Way Out of Here'.

The Great Year of Roger Waters

In 1981, Roger Waters was enjoying his success with his tour, album and single. "One of the best moments of my entire career. I was happy about everything.", Roger Waters. His last presentation was at the Earl's Court, London in 26th June, 1981.

The director Alan Parker, a Pink Floyd and Roger Waters fan, asked EMI if he could adapt The Wall to a film. Then, Alan Parker offered to Roger Waters to produce a film about The Wall, and the animation task would be gave to Gerald Scarfe (political cartoonist). Originally in the script, Roger Waters was supposed to be the starring role, but he was replaced by a punk musician, Bob Geldof. "The filming process was one of the most stressful moments of the production", Gerald Scarfe. "Me, Waters and Parker were every time arguing. Practically everyday." The film production has finished in February 1982. The film was shown in the 1982 Cannes Festival.

The soundtrack of the film featured the entire The Wall album, and three Pink Floyd tracks, 'Money', 'Welcome to the Machine', 'Have a Cigar'. Pink Floyd's 'There's No Way Out of Here' was also featured by playing in the background of a scene. "I liked to do some play with everyone, so I put the song to see if someone would listen carefully to it. *laughs*", Roger Waters.

Holidays
HOLIDAYS

Holidays is the twelfth studio album by the English rock band Pink Floyd. The album was released in 30 November 1981 by EMI Records, being distributed in United Kingdom, continental Europe and Japan, with Columbia Records redistributing in the United States and the World. The production of the album was credited to David Gilmour and Nick Mason, without the appearance of producer Bob Ezrin, uncredited in two tracks.

Pink Floyd's So Far Away became a successful album, as well the promotional tour was. With the earnings of the tour and the album, the band finally could recover financially. With mostly unrecorded songs of the solo projects, Pink Floyd decided to record a follow-up to So Far Away. The recording sessions lasted from May to August 1981, and it was fully recorded at the Britannia Row Studios. During the recording sessions, former frontman Syd Barrett appeared again to appeal to the band to stop the frequent appearance of paparazzis and fans in Syd's house. The album featured guest appearances of guitarist Snowy White, mostly in Richard Wright songs, and vocals of drummer Robert Wyatt, and singer Roy Harper, who performed Short and Sweet with David Gilmour.

With the announcement, the band released the title track Holiday in 7 November 1981, with great appraise and good reviews. Short and Sweet was released a week later, being better received than the title track. When the album was released, it topped the Billboard 200 for one week and topped the UK Album Charts for almost two months. The album was received with very positive reviews and noticed a bigger participation of Nick Mason in Pink Floyd's albums, and the approach of the band into a AOR-oriented music with Fusion influences on Rick Wright tracks. Summer Elegy was released later, with less success than the other two singles.

The album is widely compared with Wish You Were Here due to the resemblance of facts between them, such as the meeting of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, Roy Harper's second appearance in a track, and the concept of absence which both albums have. Richard Wright says that he can't choose between Holidays and Wish You Were Here as their best album. Roger Waters chose Holidays and Identity as Pink Floyd best work after his departure.

Pink Floyd - Holidays (1981) 500px.png

PINK FLOYD - HOLIDAYS (1981)
Genre: Progressive rock, jazz fusion, blues rock
Total: 47:27
Produced by Nick Mason and David Gilmour
Billboard 200: #1
UK Album Charts: #1

Side A - 24:17
"Mad Yannis Dance" (Richard Wright) - 3:19
2. "Short and Sweet" (David Gilmour, Roy Harper) - 5:30
3. "I'm a Mineralist" (Nick Mason-Carla Bley) - 6:16
4. "Waves" (Wright) - 4:19
5. "Summer Elegy" (Wright) - 4:53

Side B - 23:10
"It's Deafinitely" (Gilmour) - 4:27
7. "I Was Wrong" (Mason-Bley) - 4:12
8. "Holiday" (Wright) - 6:11
9. "Hot River" (Mason-Bley, Gilmour, Wright, Rick Wills) - 5:16
10. "I Can't Breathe Anymore" (Gilmour) - 3:04​

Personnel
Pink Floyd
David Gilmour - lead vocals [2, 9-10], lead guitar; keyboards; lap steel guitar
Richard Wright - lead vocals [5, 8], piano, keyboards, electric piano, Hammond organ, Oberheim synthesizer
Nick Mason - drums, percussion, co-producer
Rick Wills - bass guitar, backing vocals

Additional personnel
Bob Ezrin -
piano, keyboards, producer [2, 5] (uncredited)
Robert Wyatt - lead vocals [3, 7, 10], percussion
Roy Harper - lead vocals [2]
Clare Torry - lead vocals [9]
Carla Bley - keyboards
Dick Parry - saxophone
Hipgnosis - cover design, photography
James Guthrie - mixing engineer

Last edited: