Sliders - Remember it?

Anyone remember this show? It was the first (and only) show on a major network with an alternate-history based premise. All I ever aw of it was most of the first season when I was about 10, and according to my reading, after that season FOX found out what they wee doing and proceeded to destroy the show. It finally died a painful, hideous death on the SciFi channel a few years ago.

I liked "Sliders". It is still on sometimes on the SCI FI channell here in Britain.

I think that the shift towards "The Kromags" as a major theme was a pity.

I remember this show too.

Also remember how annoying the episodes got --I remember complaining to a friend that they basically threw out whatever few glimmerings of intelligence they had on the show and basically made it into a bad sci-fi version of those After-School specials they used to run way back when I was 10.

God--I actually remember those ABC After-School specials--please tell me that I'm not the only one who's this old......
:eek:

A lot of the AH didn't extrapolate much from the PODs--didn't they go to an US-Loses-Revolutionary-War TL where the British Army still ran around in red uniforms and didn't have modern guns, even though it was the present-day of that TL?

Those weren't the worse! It got so bad that none of the PODs made any sense at all (T-rexes and humans living in the same area was the basis of one episode). Near the end, it basically became a game of 'spot the science fiction novel/movie we're doing an homage to'.

Matt Quinn said:
A lot of the AH didn't extrapolate much from the PODs--didn't they go to an US-Loses-Revolutionary-War TL where the British Army still ran around in red uniforms and didn't have modern guns, even though it was the present-day of that TL?

Yeah, that was kind of my take as well. Or everything looked exactly the same as today even though we were still a British Colony. AH does on the vine without imagination and realistically realized settings. It failed miserably and I don't miss it.

zoomar said:
Yeah, that was kind of my take as well. Or everything looked exactly the same as today even though we were still a British Colony. AH does on the vine without imagination and realistically realized settings. It failed miserably and I don't miss it.

Unfortunately, because the show sucked so badly, it essentially tainted AH shows and ideas for the next ten years. Anytime a good AH series or movie will come along, the studios will look at it and go 'Sliders!' and chuck the script into the nearest trash can.

There's been a TV movie shown on British television a couple of times that I think is pretty obviously a pilot for an AH series.

Doorways

The review isn't too complimentary but I quite liked it.

Landshark said:
There's been a TV movie shown on British television a couple of times that I think is pretty obviously a pilot for an AH series.

Doorways

The review isn't too complimentary but I quite liked it.

Well--it's written by George R.R. Martin , so that's a plus in my book. But it was made ten years ago!

Anybody know any good AH tv series/pilots made since then?

There was a B-movie in the USA called "Crossworlds," but the other universe they ended up in did not resemble Earth at all (it wasn't an ATL).

Matt Quinn said:
There was a B-movie in the USA called "Crossworlds," but the other universe they ended up in did not resemble Earth at all (it wasn't an ATL).

I've seen that, quite fun but more Parallel Worlds than Alternate Earths.

Sliders blew dead bears.

Okay, you were only ten years old, but believe me, Sliders was garbage.

Fox didn't kill it. The formulaic, let's not think about anything, gimmick of the week, AH in name only, page filling dreck the so-called writing staff coughed up each week killed it.

One of the other posters is right. Sliders killed any chance of seeing an AH movie, mini-series, or TV show produced for the next decade or so.

BTW, anyone ever read the H. Beam Piper short story about the fellows on the train helping a TV producer come up with an AH anthology show?

Bill

Bill Cameron said:
Sliders blew dead bears.

Okay, you were only ten years old, but believe me, Sliders was garbage.

Bill

Well, sounds like I am in the definite minority here, but I enjoyed the show. Was it realistic? No. Was it plausible? No. Was it good alternate history? No. Was it entertaining? It was for me. Some of the ideas they had for alternate worlds were wonderful from an entertainment standpoint...the world where all news reporting is like our supermarket tabloids was just hilarious, for example. And the world where litigation has run completely wild, and you can't buy a hamburger unless you sign legal consent forms first and prove you have adequate health insurance. :D Viewed not as a serious attempt at alternate history, but as a parody on our own screwed up world, it was highly effective sometimes.

Sliders could have been better but it was the only series we got.

I do not see how an entertainment series could be as serious as some contributors to this board.

Quite enjoyed sliders, but when they started killing off the original cast, then replaced the hero with an atl self... Even though I had stopped watching it all the time when they replaced the girl with that one from the world with a heavier atmosphere

i believe this is the show that had an earth ruled by t-rexes w/ laser beams attached to their heads. the ppl would run around and teleport and shit. good show.

sliders was cool man, i used to watch it all the time when i was in highschool/college. they kinda dragged the story on for too long tho, with the nazi-like aliens. sux.

Technically Quantum Leap would have to be some sort of AH show. Sam Beckett was going around altering the time line for the better. Most of what he did was small stuff, but he did save Jackie Kennedy while being Oswald and also a Secret Service agent. He also helped Marilyn Monroe doher last movie etc.. The history in that wolrd wouldn't have happened like the history in ours without his influence.

Torqumada