Skirmish at El Tintero – April 1916

Well. With Villa dead, the US should be shipping out sooner, rather than later, since their excuse to stick around vanished. Then again, America has always been happy to make a new excuse... 🤣

I'm curious how Villa dying changes the course of the revolution. He was a running sore for Carranza, but I'm not sure Villa dying really changes the ultimate political calculus for him, or his end state. He was always a bit too Porfirian to let real democracy (or even one-party "democracy" like the PRI had) pick his successor, which would always rub Obregon the wrong way, and that's probably always going to damn him.

Driftless

Donor
Well. With Villa dead, the US should be shipping out sooner, rather than later, since their excuse to stick around vanished. Then again, America has always been happy to make a new excuse... 🤣

I'm curious how Villa dying changes the course of the revolution. He was a running sore for Carranza, but I'm not sure Villa dying really changes the ultimate political calculus for him, or his end state. He was always a bit too Porfirian to let real democracy (or even one-party "democracy" like the PRI had) pick his successor, which would always rub Obregon the wrong way, and that's probably always going to damn him.

I've already written the next steps, and indeed the timetable changes. After the Constitutionalist/US Cavalry scrap at Parral and points north, the big chiefs from both sides met in El Paso and the general agreement was that the US needed to withdraw. The situation was heading towards open warfare between the two countries, which neither could afford. The US dragged it's feet on timetable, not wanting to appear to be forced out, and then (historically) dragged its feet again after the defeat at Carrizal.

I'll fully admit to only having a limited grasp of Mexican Revolutionary politics in that complicated era. To my limited understanding, Madero was the wide-eyed idealist, who ignored the hard opportunists surrounding him, and that got him killed. Zapata was a more pragmatic idealist, but even he got betrayed. I've never completely understood where Villa fell on that Revolutionary spectrum. He was a fascinating mix: charismatic, recklessly brave, alternating between generosity and cruelty, tactically limited on the battlefield, but able to see the big picture better than many of his contemporaries.

*edit* Of course my knowledge of Villa has been based on US sources, which until recently treated Villa as some "B" movie desperado.

Last edited:
Well, with Villa confirmed death, I would say that the Mission tasked to the Gral. Pershing, just have to be accomplished, and given that, I think that the he would be expecting that once this news are known in Washington to be ordered to withdraw back to the US territory...
Also, given that the Villa's death would be very well received by Carranza, and if the US Army units are ordered to back to home... Then, if so, the mentioned incidents/skirmishes between the American soldiers and the Mexican locals and the Mexican Constitutionalists forces, wouldn't be probable that could escalate out of control /for the stated/ordered mission original parameters).

April 23 & 28 Announcements

Driftless

Donor
(I've been spacing these out one per day, but you folks are ahead of me now.... :biggrin: XD)

April 23, 1916 – El Paso, Texas

General’s Hugh Scott (US Army Chief-of-Staff), Frederick Funston (US Army commander for the border region and Pershing’s commander), and Alvaro Obregon (Minister of War for Mexico) meet in El Paso. Obregon has already been notified by Scott that Villa is dead. Villa’s body had been preserved and was forwarded to the US base of operations at Colonia Dublan, and Obregon has dispatched his own representatives to verify the body’s identity.

Additional discussions determine that relations have reached a military breakpoint between the US and Mexico, which neither side can afford. Given the change in the situation, the US will soon begin a wind-down of operations and a phased withdrawal.

There were leverage points that both sides were well aware of: The US Army estimates they would need an invasion force of over 200,000 men – upfront - to conquer northern Mexico – The Constitutional forces of Mexico are plentiful, well-enough armed, and well-led. There weren’t 200,000 men in uniform across the entire US Army. From Mexico’s perspective, they were already in the midst of a long-running civil war, so an expanded fight served no one.

(This meeting of the brass historically took place May 9, following the fight at Parral. That fight and the later fight at Carrizal caused the US to drag its feet about withdrawal, so as to not appear to be forced out by Mexico)

April 28, 1916 – Mexico City and Washington DC

Both President Venustiano Carranza and President Wilson issue separate formal announcements of the death of Pancho Villa. Carranza’s statement notes Villa’s past patriotic service to the Revolution and hopes his death at the hands of US forces violating the sovereignty of our country will serve to unite the people of Mexico. Wilson’s statement refers to Villa as the notorious brigand, who was destroyed by the righteous wrath of the US.

April 29,1916 – Namiquipa

General Pershing issues a formal statement for the reporters scattered across Chihuahua state. “A patrol of the US Army’s 16th Infantry Regiment encountered a large force of Villista troopers in the canyonlands near El Tintero, Chihuahua. In a display of daring, our infantrymen inflicted a sharp defeat on the Villlistas, driving them from the field. A later counterattack by that same force was decisively crushed by the 10th Cavalry. It was recently verified that in the first fight that the desperado, Pancho Villa, was killed”. (The Cavalry had done the bulk of the searching and several sharp skirmishes in the first several weeks of the campaign, so Pershing was going to make sure they got some credit as well. Besides, Pershing himself had once commanded the 10th. That’s where he acquired the “Blackjack” sobriquet)

Subsequent digging by the few reporters venturing all the way down to Namiquipa gets beyond the bare pith of Pershing’s announcement, with Colonel Allaire providing some additional information. The Colonel makes the point of crediting the success in the fight to the skill and courage of the men in the 16th Infantry platoon, the original sighting and support of the patrol to the Quartermasters, and the great skill of the Cavalry in finishing the job. Rommel is mentioned as the platoon leader and that there’s no way of determining who killed Villa. (“Fair’s fair. Many hands played a role in this scrap.” – Col. Wm Allaire)

By the time the additional information filters back to US papers, the news makes for exciting reading, but on page two of the papers.

The Army brass prefers not to single out any one individual for public notoriety (mostly to keep peace in the “family” and a limit on the inter-branch carping from the Calvary about doing all the hard work only to have the Infantry blunder into success), so Rommel and his platoon are kept busy for a few days on routine patrols.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
May 4, 1916 – Berlin

At request of the US, Germany curtails its submarine warfare (......for the time being....)

May 5, 1916 – Dominican Republic

US Marines invades the Dominican Republic, stay until 1924

I think that the death of the Gral. Villa by the Americans in combat aside, that would cause an intensification of the Mexican Nationalism would probably only cause that ITTL his (OTL) legend to grow to possibly would become a Mexican Nationalist myth. Also, this would probably 'd have consequences for the Carranza government and 'd cause an earlier fall of his government and/or even that Carranza could ITTL be killed earlier...

Driftless

Donor
I had not considered that possibility, but you may have something there. From what I understand, Caranza's grip on his office was shaky at several times. He was astute in ways of keeping himself one step ahead, but not as good at inspiring admiration and loyalty.

Villa certainly retained local admiration in the north of Mexico after his assassination. Being killed by the Americans would probably expand that appreciation.

The heroic modern Pancho Villa statue in the Plaza de la Revolution' in Chihuahua City
Plaza_de_la_Revolucion_Chihuahua.jpg

I've already written the next steps, and indeed the timetable changes. After the Constitutionalist/US Cavalry scrap at Parral and points north, the big chiefs from both sides met in El Paso and the general agreement was that the US needed to withdraw. The situation was heading towards open warfare between the two countries, which neither could afford. The US dragged it's feet on timetable, not wanting to appear to be forced out, and then (historically) dragged its feet again after the defeat at Carrizal.

I'll fully admit to only having a limited grasp of Mexican Revolutionary politics in that complicated era. To my limited understanding, Madero was the wide-eyed idealist, who ignored the hard opportunists surrounding him, and that got him killed. Zapata was a more pragmatic idealist, but even he got betrayed. I've never completely understood where Villa fell on that Revolutionary spectrum. He was a fascinating mix: charismatic, recklessly brave, alternating between generosity and cruelty, tactically limited on the battlefield, but able to see the big picture better than many of his contemporaries.

*edit* Of course my knowledge of Villa has been based on US sources, which until recently treated Villa as some "B" movie desparado.
Zapata wasn't really pragmatic either, since he was constitutionally incapable of negotiating and he refused to leave Morelos, even when it might have won his side the war.

Villa was originally just sort of a bandit who ended up embracing Zapata-esque ideas (but not entirely), but his temper and his ego hurt him, a lot. The character of Villa was a character, but also one rooted in reality - but he also never drank. At all. (which caused an issue with Zapata, who drank a lot, and though Villa was weird for not)

@Xenophonte - while I agree in the long term Villa could be a martyr for Mexican nationalism, right now, Villa wasn't beloved everywhere in Mexico. Carranza wasn't either, but the back half of the Mexican Revolution was a period of relative stability outside of Morelos and wherever Villa was. Regular low burn issues, and a ramshackle regime Carranza held together by corruption, brutality and sheer force of will, but it held. What killed Carranza is when he made it clear that, no reelection or not, he planned on running Mexico with a puppet. By then Carranza was so unpopular that Obregon (the guy who basically won the war for Carranza when it was Conventionists vs Constitutionalists phase) was able to launch a rebellion against him. Villa dying actually shores up Carranza's regime, especially if the Americans leave sooner. He's still probably doomed because nobody actually *liked* Carranza, but I don't think Villa's death ends him sooner.

The truth is, after he lost in late 1915, Villa lost his last real chance to actually overthrow Carranza without allies from within Carranza's own faction, and that wasn't happening for a good while.

Driftless

Donor
When I had Carranza speak well of Villa in death, I was thinking of Churchill's later remark that "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would at least make a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons. " Would Caranza have praised Villa, while previously trying to destroy him? Basically, to use Villa's death to pressure the US?

When I first thought on this whole timeline, a couple of years ago.... I toyed with the idea of the US Cavalry chasing Villa from Guerrero (which very nearly happened), but into the hands of a Constitutionalist force(plus a couple of minor variations on the theme). Another idea had Villa avoiding the leg wound that sidelined him historically but having him blasted by an old grandmother while transiting a small town. Her motive - blaming Villa for the death of her son and grandsons. In the end, I settled on the version you've seen above. Each variant probably would have had different political fallout within Mexico and diplomatically between Mexico and the US.

Last edited:
Well, bearing in mind that while I know a good bit, I'm not an expert...

I think he might. Carranza very loudly hated the US coming in to fight Villa, and the interesting post-Revolution 'narrative' the PRI created was basically to pretend that all the Revolutionaries were one big happy family. They even all ended up in the same tomb (Carranza and Villa included, but not Zapata because even in death he's a stubborn cuss). and Carranza was savvy. So I could see him doing that, yeah, when you put it in those terms.

Would Caranza have praised Villa, while previously trying to destroy him? Basically, to use Villa's death to pressure the US?
Well, to not to exactly praise him, but would be rather possible that Carranza 'd condemn both his death and its specific circumstances. Also, about to use his death to pressure to the US, it'd be hardly, at short term, given that their mutual personal and political enmity...
But, later, as the pressure on him would grow, that it might be possible, that he would attempt to get military or that'd seek help (supplies and money) from the US to help to keep secure the Mexico-US border and to fight to the revolutionaries and/or former Villistas that possibly 'd be out for his blood...

May 5 Namiquipa

Driftless

Donor
May 5, 1916 – Namiquipa

Events had settled down for a time and life on base had assumed a routine. The tent was hot as blazes in the afternoon and freezing cold at night. Rommel’s platoon was still short-handed. The Army’s replacement methods weren’t very swift in this campaign.

Rommel even had a bit of time to do some pleasure reading. He had just re-read “The Defense of Duffer’s Drift”, sent to him by his sweetheart in El Paso. She had found it at a church sale, of all places. While the notion of reliving dreams to tell the story was a bit clumsy, the essential idea of how to read and respond to a battlefield resonated with him. He may need to re-think how he fought the skirmish near El Tintero with an approach towards what he could learn to improve his performance for next time – whenever that may be. For instance, what if he held his platoon up on the ridge and sent scouts to follow the Villistas (just like Col. Allaire recommended)? What if he’d sent Calloway around to the right flank earlier? Should he have scouted the canyon more thoroughly, or wasn’t there time for that? What if his small force had entered the canyon mouth, only to encounter the Villistas, or been even been caught out in the open on the road? What if his Infantry platoon had a more man-mobile automatic rifle or two? What impact had the trucks had?

Studying American Civil War tactics, as taught at West Point was only marginally useful in 1916. There were a thousand possibilities and Rommel wasn’t going to “navel-gaze”, but rather see if he could find better ways to read a battlefield.

(This train-of-thought would stick with Rommel and in the 1920’s he would analyze what he had seen in Mexico and France and coalesce his personal experience into his well-received “Infantry Tactics” book.)

Driftless

Donor
May 10, 1916 – El Paso, Texas

Following the death of Pancho Villa and the significant damage done to his command, several days of wired back-and-forth discussions ensued between President Wilson, Secretary of War Baker and General Scott in Washington, General Funston in El Paso, and General Pershing in Namiquipa. That led to the decision to withdraw US forces from Mexico, starting on June 1, 1916, which was an earlier date than first planned. It would take several days to communicate to the cavalry troops spread across patrol zones up to 500 miles to the south of the border.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
The century long occupation of Mexico has begun.

One of the ideas I grasped while reading histories of the relations between the two countries, was that American ambassadors and their staff responded first and foremost to American business leaders with financial investment in Mexico, and Presidents, the State Department, and Congress were much farther down the list for listening to.... There was serious money invested in Mexican mines, oil, and ranching, and the money-men were not afraid to meddle in Mexican politics.

Hardly unique in that era

Last edited:
One of the ideas I grasped while reading histories of the relations between the two countries, was that American ambassadors and their staff responded first and foremost to American business leaders with financial investment in Mexico, and Presidents, the State Department, and Congress were much farther down the list for listening to.... There was serious money invested in Mexican mines, oil, and ranching, and the money-men were not afraid to meddle in Mexican politics.

Hardly unique in that era
I think thwy were referring to the fact that you said the end date for troop removal was in 2016, not 1916, presumably due to typo

Driftless

Donor
Ooops....:( Fixed.

When I wrote the drafts, I don't know how many times I caught myself with that gaffe

*edit* I found another one in my draft file. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 14 Patton

Driftless

Donor
May 14, 1916 – San Miguelito Ranch – Northern Chihuahua

While on an un-related purchasing mission, an American guide, who had once ridden with Villa, spotted associates of a Villa leader. Acting on that tip, Lt. George Patton Jr. and squad from the 6th Infantry drive to the ranch at San Miguelito in two staff cars. Three riders bolt from the enclosure, firing their guns as they attempt to leave. Patton shot two of the three and the third went down in a hail of gunfire. The first man who charged towards Patton was Julio Cardenas, a Villa Lieutenant. Patton had the three corpses mounted across the fronts of the cars, like deer hunters returning from a successful hunt. Pershing later referred to Patton as “my bandit.”

Years later, Patton and Rommel would both engage in good-natured gibes about who made the first mechanized attack in US Army history.

May 16 Namiquipa - Change in assignment

Driftless

Donor
May 16, 1916 – Namiquipa – Captain Spalding’s tent

Private Morgan, the Captain’s aide strode up and quietly said: “Lieutenant Rommel, the Cap’n like a word or two wit’cha now, if ya please”. Rommel quickly finished up his instructions to Corporal Bryggen and then made his way to Captain Spalding’s tent.

“Sir. You wanted to see me?”

“Round up your gear, and report to Major Madden(12) over at the General’s headquarters. You are now on detached service with the General’s staff, ….at least till we return to the US.” Captain Spalding read from a written order. He handed the document over to Rommel. “Lieutenant Orton will take your place for the time being.”

This time, it was Rommel’s turn to open and close his mouth in surprise, but he regained his composure quickly. “Do you know what that’s about, Sir?

“Heh, all I know is what you see on the paper. Madden is the Chief Quartermaster down here, so I’m gathering you must be assigned to his staff. I’m guessing your fight in the Canyon impressed some of the brass over there, so now you’re going to be tested in other ways. I know your preference is with the line soldiers, but this could be an outstanding opportunity for your military career. Congratulations and good luck!

May 16, 1916 – Namiquipa – Major Madden’s bigger tent

“Lieutenant Erwin Rommel reporting as ordered, Sir.”

“Have a seat. We will be at this for a while. I’m sure you’re wondering what you are doing here in Quartermaster country. You may blame Captain Burtt and Captain Pope for the idea. You impressed them with the way you organized and ran the fight at El Tintero. The Army needs fighters and those fighters also need to understand how to keep their men supplied in any long-term fight. This experience will make you a better Infantry officer. Consider this assignment as an early trip to the War College.”

“On to the business at hand. Here’s the idea in a nutshell. Starting on June 1, the whole Expedition will begin a controlled and staged withdrawal from Mexico. That will be a considerably complicated event, that will require close co-ordination from start of the movement, till the last man wades across the Rio Grande. There will be a number of seemingly conflicting events going on at the same time: Soldiers and Troopers heading north on tight schedules, large quantities of supplies coming south, in order to keep those northbound soldiers fed, watered and clothed. We also will be dismantling several good size supply depots along the way during that withdrawal, and some important decisions will need to be made at different times on whether to relocate supplies to the US, consume them during the withdrawal, sell them to the locals, or destroy them in place. Meanwhile, my counterparts back in the US will fight me tooth-and-nail to restrict every fleck of hay, every single shirt button, and every scrap of paper that we need to complete the withdrawal on time. Are you with me so far on the general enormity of this move?”

With furrowed brow, Rommel nodded in the affirmative.

Major Madden: “Your part in this enterprise is to be one of my extensions in the field, my factotum of sorts in the beginning, till you instinctively understand what needs to be done. You will need to unsnarl snags, to bully or cajole the recalcitrant into following our supply plan, whether they like it or not. That may include persuading Captains, Majors, and Colonels of the wisdom of that plan. To be fair, some of the Cavalry units in the field may be facing some hostile action from locals trying to goose them along their way, so that adds yet more calculations. Your experience with infantry on the march will help, as you well know, they don’t move at the speed of the cavalry, or even the artillery. Our mule trains carrying forage don’t move at the speed of our truck convoys. There are some spots, closer to the border, where our engineers have improved the roads to the point where they are no longer an impediment, but elsewhere, pfffft…. Basically, our clocks and calendars don’t work at the same speed throughout this Army. I will run you ragged before you cross the Rio Grande yourself, but you will have gained a useful education along the way.”

Following those preliminaries, Major Madden spread out a large map of Chihuahua and the US border country, and the lengthy discussion settled into planned routes and timetables.

(Rommel would be a frequent sight during the withdrawal, speeding along either in the Dodge car assigned to him, with his “driver” riding shotgun; or, when he could arrange it, making his rounds aboard a motorcycle, again with his “driver” riding in the sidecar. He endeavored to appear at the moving headquarters locations at intervals so that he could be seen by the staff that Lieutenant Erwin Rommel was making a useful contribution to the process. (A little self-promotion never hurt). Still, Major Madden had been correct, this was an enormously complex operation and like an early trip to the War College for what he learned about supplying a large force on the march in hostile country)

As noted earlier, the US Army recruited and employed many Chinese in their intelligence operations during the Villa Expedition. Those traders, tinkers, and others moved frequently and unobtrusively throughout Northern Mexico - between Villista and Constitutionalist territory. They were present in many locations, but not part of the local community structure, or part of the local extended families, so their irregular comings and goings were expected. When the US Army returned to the US in OTL 1917, those Chinese and their dependents were brought back to the US – 427 people in all. General Pershing had to arrange for a special dispensation from the Chinese Exclusion Acts (anti-immigration laws) of the time. Most settled in different spots in South Texas and were referred to as “Pershing’s Chinese”. Part of Rommel’s efforts in this withdrawal was to arrange transport or at least security for part of these folks on their way to Texas.

(12) Major John Madden – OTL Chief Quartermaster for the Expedition

Last edited:
June 1916 - Withdrawal

Driftless

Donor
Early June 1916 – On the road back to the US

Some of what Rommel learned during his temporary detached service to the Quartermasters was how un-appreciated their work was. Supplies could not arrive fast enough anywhere to suit either the local unit commanders involved in the withdrawal or their non-coms actually picking up the supplies. Tough-minded, honest Sergeants had to be left in charge of armed guards at every temporary depot along the route. Otherwise, the supplies would disappear. Plus, whenever a depot was finished, Rommel (and his other QM counterparts) had to arrange transit for those guards to the next depot, or back to their home unit. Rommel considered the functional difference between this withdrawal and a retreat in battle. In battle, you’d hope to leave nothing useful for your enemy, so anything that required more transport than its basic worth would be destroyed. Here, if there were odds and ends left that couldn’t be immediately used or sensibly transported, he’d leave for the locals.

He also came to learn that finding animal forage in the hot dry summers of the Chihuahua mountains and high desert was harder than arranging for fuel for the trucks. Between the three fighting forces, most of the local forage had already been requisitioned and consumed or was in deep hiding for use by the locals' own herds. Therefore most of the forage was mule-trained in from the US, as was much of the potable water. Water was a comparatively scarce commodity in several spots, and where it was found, was often too alkaline for drinking use by animals or men.

Finding a competent mule driver might even be harder than training a functional truck driver. Finding a competent wheelwright was every bit as hard as finding a competent truck mechanic. Broken down wagons and trucks impaired the schedule, and then there was holy-hell to pay.

He also employed the “Pope Plan”, where if there were usable space on the trucks or wagons, he’d allow elements of the Infantry ride on board – so long as it kept everyone on schedule. There was some headquarters “harumphing” about that seeming innovation, but Captain Pope reminded the brass that he himself had done that same thing on the Expedition’s march into Mexico, and again at El Tintero.

All-in-all, a very useful experience. The lessons learned in those few weeks would pay dividends for the rest of Rommel’s military career.

Last edited: