Six Roses, Red and White: A Tudor TL

How should I handle a rework of this timeline?

• Edit the posts on this thread

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Start a new thread

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
I: Greenwich, March 1510
  • Greenwich, March 1510

Catalina de Aragon, Queen of England let out a scream as another wave of pain passed over her. Gripping tightly to the arms of her birthing chair, she forced herself to push yet again. As the extreme tightness in her sides subsided, she relaxed and collapsed back against the chair in exhaustion. Nearly an hour now she had been pushing and still her son did not want to come…

“One more push, my lady,” her closest friend, Maria de Salinas, said calmly in Spanish, taking a cool, wet cloth and pressing it to Catalina’s forehead, “One more push and you’ll see your prince.”

“Thank you, Doña de Salinas,” Catalina said in English, breathing heavily, “Though I wish he would move more quickly…”

“Keep faith, Your Majesty. I have seen many children take this long to leave the womb without damage to mother or baby,” Catalina’s midwife said, poking her head up from between her legs.

At that point, Catalina could only nod in acknowledgement because she was in the throes of another contraction. She could barely hear both Maria and the midwife urging her to push again before a newborn’s wail pierced the air. Hearing her first child’s first cry, Catalina felt tears wetting her cheek, mingling with the sweat of her labor.

“Congratulations, Your Majesty,” a nursemaid said, placing Catalina’s still bloody baby in her arms mere seconds later, “It is a healthy baby girl, a bonny princess for England.”

Catalina wasn’t sure if she wanted to laugh or cry. A daughter. A healthy daughter, but a daughter still. She would love the girl more than anything else in the world, of course, but the real question was how Henry would react…

-​

As soon as Henry saw the solemn look on Charles Brandon’s face, he knew that the news was bad. Brandon was perhaps the one man in the world whom he could call a friend, and so he knew he was not one for unoccasioned solemnity. Henry could feel the blood pounding in his ears as he watched his guards admit Brandon into his privy chamber.

“Is it the Queen?” Henry asked, springing up from his chair as soon as Brandon reached him, “Did something happen? Is my son alright?”

An uncomfortable expression passed over the older man’s face, “Her Majesty is in perfectly fine health, as is the child...”

Henry exhaled in relief, “Oh thank God. You shouldn’t scare me like that, Charles, I-”

“The child is a girl,” Brandon blurted, before Henry could get another syllable out.

Henry froze. What had Brandon just said? The child was a girl? The entire room, including the lutenist playing in the corner, seemed to go silent as Henry digested this news. His firstborn child, a daughter? Well...it wasn’t what he had expected, but a healthy baby was still a healthy baby. And Katherine had fallen with child easily enough, he could only assume that there would be more to follow, a son and heir surely among them. Certainly now this would also give him even more reason to visit her bed, which was not an idea that displeased him.

Taking it in stride, Henry just grinned and clapped Brandon on the back, “Right, well, it’s a girl now but strapping sons are sure to follow. Should we go see my new daughter, then?”

Brandon laughed heartily in approval, and the two men were off to see Henry’s wife and daughter.

-​

Catalina had been cleaned up, changed into a fresh shift that was not stained with the blood and sweat of childbirth, and propped up in her bed by the time her husband came to see her. She was exhausted in a way that she had never been before but, looking down at her beautiful little daughter, set in the crook of her right arm, her heart could not help but swell with happiness, pride, and love. She only hoped that Henry would feel the same way about their girl.

“Where is my Lady Princess?” Henry said, bursting into the room, a boyish grin on his face.

Catalina smiled, “She is here, my lord.”

Henry hurried over to Catalina’s bedside, shooing out her ladies and midwife as he did so. Once they were alone, he hopped onto the bed, laid next to Catalina and rested his chin on her shoulder, joining her in gazing at their child.

“She is the second loveliest thing I have ever beheld,” Henry said after a moment.

“Oh?” Catalina asked, raising an eyebrow, “And what is the loveliest thing, then?”

“You, of course,” Henry replied with a smirk, “But that is...a different kind of beauty.”

Catalina flushed, “Well...my lord...I…”

“We will call her Elizabeth,” Henry said then, “For I truly do not think she could be called anything else.”

“It’s perfect,” Catalina nodded, beaming at her husband. Then she glanced down at her Elizabeth, who was now sleeping off the excitement of her birth, and her heart which had seemed so full before seemed to get even fuller still.

Last edited:
    II: Windsor, July 1510
  • Windsor Castle, July 1510

Catalina hummed quietly to herself as she stitched away at the embroidery on a cap for Elizabeth. Her daughter was about four months old now and apparently quite an active little baby; Lady Bryan even wrote in her latest missive that Elizabeth had recently rolled over for the first time. It was dreadful to Catalina that she had to miss such milestones but her place was with the King and the King wanted to go to Windsor, for the hunting, so to Windsor she went.

There were other attractions at Windsor as well, and as Catalina glanced around the room at her ladies - who were admittedly mostly young and attractive - she tried not to think of what they might be. She could only assume that her husband had sought the attentions of other women while she was pregnant and unable to lie with him, but now…

Catalina’s thoughts were interrupted by a page in the King’s livery entering the room. Catalina noticed the letter in his hand, sat down her embroidery, and bid him to come forward.

“The King wishes that you would read this, Your Grace,” the page said, presenting the letter, the seal of which had already been broken, to Catalina, “He suggests that you may write a letter of sisterly comfort to the Queen of Scots.”

Catalina raised an eyebrow but said nothing as she took the letter and began reading it. Henry wanted her to write to the Queen of Scots, his sister whom she had known only briefly during her marriage to Arthur and subsequent widowhood? Something terrible must have happened. And indeed, as Catalina read the letter, which had been written not by the Queen of Scots herself but by England’s ambassador in Scotland, it became clear that something terrible had indeed happened - the Scottish Queen and King had lost another child, their son Arthur having died two weeks prior at less than a year of age.

Catalina folded the letter back up and crossed herself, mentally noting that she should visit the chapel later and pray for Elizabeth's continued good health. She wondered briefly as well how Henry was taking the news - no doubt he was pleased, he had never approved of his sister’s marriage in Scotland in the first place and the fact that Margaret Tudor and her Stewart husband had no surviving children yet just seemed to vindicate his view. That was probably also why he could not bring himself to write a letter of condolence to Margaret.

“Please tell the King that I would be happy to write to the Scottish Queen,” Catalina said finally, handing the letter back to the page, “And let him know that I would much enjoy his company this evening, if he would be so kind as to grant it.”

-​

“Blasted letters…” Henry muttered under his breath, frowning down at the pile of papers on his desk. He had come to Windsor to hunt and escape this drudgery which had bogged him down ever since he became king. But the damned beaurocrats kept writing to him about every little thing and he had hardly known a moment’s peace since his arrival. At least he had Anne to think about...there was something intoxicating about the woman, with her raven hair and flashing eyes. Henry had first taken Anne Stafford, Baroness Hastings to his bed during his wife’s pregnancy, as he had every right to do, and the temptation to continue their tryst was still strong even now that Katherine was no longer pregnant. But he also suspected that Katherine might wish him to join her in bed again, as she had sent him a message earlier requesting his company that evening.

Of course, Henry was not disinclined to resume intimate relations with Katherine. She was an intoxicating woman in her own right, and as his wife and queen she was also his only route to getting a legitimate male heir. How wonderful it would be for their Elizabeth to be joined in the nursery by a brother come next spring! Henry was smiling to himself at the thought when William Compton, one of his most trusted gentlemen, stepped into his study.

“Your Majesty,” Compton said by way of greeting, “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes, Will. I was hoping that you could arrange for me to have a moment alone with Lady Hastings...but I’ve had second thoughts on that. I’ll be joining the Queen for dinner tonight, and I’d like for you to find Anne and let her know that I cannot take her to my bed anymore.”

Compton looked surprised at this, “Very well, Your Majesty. If I may ask, why the change of heart?”

“Because a son with a mistress is just a bastard,” Henry said with a shrug, “But a son with my wife is the Prince of Wales.”

-​

That night, Henry and Katherine drank of each other as if they were two parched travelers in a desert who had come upon an oasis.

Last edited:
    III: Eltham, November 1510
  • Eltham Palace, November 1510

“What a fine player you are, Marie,” a voice said unexpectedly from behind Mary as she sat at the virginal in her chambers one quiet November evening.

“Your Majesty!” Mary cried in delight and surprise, turning around to see her older brother, the King of England, standing there, grinning mischievously, “I didn’t even know you were coming! What are you doing here?”

“Well,” Henry said, as Mary stood up from her virginal and smoothed her gown, “I have some exciting news to share, which I am sure will delight you as much as it delights me.”

Mary raised an eyebrow; given her brother’s flair for dramatics, she wouldn’t be surprised if it was a new linen cap or something else equally mundane, but if that was the case then why would he have come all the way to Eltham for it? “Oh? Well if it’s so exciting then out with it, I want to know.”

“The Queen is pregnant again!” Henry said promptly, his desire to share this news apparently overshadowing his desire to string Mary along, “And she’s already showing, I’m certain this one will be a large and lusty boy!”

“That’s wonderful!” Mary said with a genuine smile, relieved that the news concerned her brother and his wife and not her engagement to the King of Castile, “When is the Queen due to deliver?”

“The doctors say her time will probably come the second or third week of April. I’m thinking she will take her confinement at Windsor, wouldn’t it be glorious to have my son born in the same place as Edward III?” Henry gushed.

Mary couldn’t help but giggle; Henry was like a school boy learning his first letters, overeager and proud. She could only hope that one day her husband would be as excited and attentive when she was pregnant.

“And there’s one more thing,” Henry then added, “Katherine and I would like for you to stand as godmother to the child, dear sister. You are a future queen and duchess, after all, which makes you perfectly appropriate to be sponsor to a future king.”

Mary’s giggles stopped. Be a godmother...to a child? Mary had never been asked to do such a thing before. In truth, it seemed like a task far beyond her fourteen years. But this was not the sort of request from one’s sovereign that could be refused, and Henry was now Mary’s sovereign before he was her brother.

“I would be happy to do it,” Mary said, smiling and placing a hand on Henry’s arm.

-​

Henry had retired after saying his goodnight to Mary and her household when his page suddenly brought him a letter from the Duke of Buckingham. Henry could only sigh as he guessed what the letter might concern. Anne Hastings was well and truly put away as his mistress; and besides, why should her brother complain if she caught the King’s eye? That ought to be considered an honor.

Breaking the wax seal, Henry perused its contents and was astounded. Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham was indeed furious over his sister’s affair...her affair with Compton. Henry almost spit out the wine he had just drunk. Apparently Buckingham had heard rumors about the two - which didn’t surprise Henry considering how often he had used Compton to facilitate meetings with Anne - and then he had caught Compton in Anne’s rooms at Windsor back in July! That had been all it took to fully convince the Duke of an affair between his sister and William Compton. Now Anne had been sent to a convent some 60 miles away from London. Buckingham wrote that he wasn’t sure when she would be returning to court.

What a fool, Henry thought as he finished reading. But at the same time, who was Henry to say anything if Buckingham was stupid enough to believe that his sister had been fucking Compton this whole time?

Last edited:
    IV: June 1511-January 1512
  • Greenwich, June 1511

Catalina couldn’t help but smile to herself at the sight before her. Elizabeth was gazing down at her infant sister, mouth slightly agape. Little Mary, who was now about two months old, stirred in her sleep as her sister watched her, and Elizabeth let out a giggle.

“Baby?” she turned to Catalina and asked. Elizabeth had of course been told that her mother was going to have another baby, that she would have a little brother or sister, but her one and a half year old mind was struggling to comprehend that Mary was that baby and her sister.

“Yes, baby,” Catalina said with a nod, “That’s your baby sister. Her name is Mary.”

Catalina wasn’t sure whether Elizabeth understood, as the girl still looked somewhat confused. And then Mary awoke, wailing with hunger. Elizabeth now looked even more confused as Lady Bryan shuffled her away so that Mary could be handed off to her wet nurse.

At the doorway, though, Elizabeth suddenly stopped and turned around, reaching out to Catalina with her chubby little hands.

“Mama come?” she asked, her head cocked to one side.

Catalina shot a look at Lady Bryan, whose expression seemed to say, Please God just come with the girl so she doesn’t start screaming, and then smiled, “Of course, querida. I will come with you.”

Richmond, January 1512

“The situation is this,” Luis Caroz, King Ferdinand of Aragon’s ambassador to England, said, leaning forward in the chair in which he sat in Henry’s chambers. “The French have become far too powerful in recent years. They threaten on all their borders, including your pale of Calais. Now His Holiness himself has called for us to make war on King Louis and none of us can afford not to heed that call.”

“Well if it is so evident that this war must be fought, why has your master sent you here to convince me of its merit?” Henry asked. In truth, he had no qualms about making war with the French. But it was perhaps better to let old Ferdinand believe that he did, in order to entice some concession from his father-in-law.

Caroz smiled, “His Majesty Don Fernando knows well that you will be an integral part of this alliance, given the proximity of your continental lands to France. Indeed, it is your forces that will be the ones to take Paris and realize the dreams of your ancestors…”

Henry’s eyes widened a bit, “King Ferdinand would truly see me crowned King of France? That can hardly be an idea to his liking.”

“Ah, but it is,” Caroz said in a reassuring tone, “You are His Majesty’s own son, the husband of his own beloved daughter. Why should he not desire to see you on the French throne instead of the Valois dog? Rest assured, His Majesty wants nothing more than to see the Crown of Charlemagne placed on your head at Reims.”

The words were pretty, but Henry couldn’t help but frown. Of course he would be a better king than Louis, that was just a given. But still, he struggled to see why Ferdinand would want him as King of France. From the Aragonese point of view, that just seemed like trading one problem for another. And Henry might not know Katherine’s father very well, but he was certain that Ferdinand was not a fool.

“I will consult on the matter,” Henry said after a minute of silence, “And I will let you know tomorrow whether England will join in this league.”

-​

Catalina almost wept with joy when the King came to dine with her that evening. She knew that he had met with Caroz earlier that day, and she was eager to hear of their discussion...or at least, what her husband would share with her. Which turned out to be quite a bit.

“So His Holiness is forming a league against the French?” Catalina asked, absentmindedly swirling her goblet of wine.

Henry nodded, “Yes, it would seem. Ambassador Caroz seemed very eager for England to join.”

“Well, you must join,” Catalina said with what she very soon realized was more enthusiasm than was appropriate, “This alliance has been formed at the behest of the Holy Father himself! How could you not join?”

“I don’t know,” Henry admitted, “The French...surely they would not be able to withstand an onslaught from all sides, which is the plan according to Caroz. And I would be left King of France, as I ought to be anyways.”

Catalina couldn’t help but grin, “Then why do you even question it? There could be no surer sign that God has planned this for you.”

At this, Henry sighed. Catalina reached out and took his hand in her own. In the light of the hearth, Henry seemed young...they were both so young still. She knew that men could and did rule England when they were Henry’s age and even younger, but for just a moment she wished that he were not king, so he did not have to be saddled with such decisions as whether to make war or not.

“I just worry that it will not turn out as I hope,” Henry said then, “I do not know if I trust your father to keep his promises…”

This caught Catalina somewhat off guard, and she dropped his hand. Why should Henry not trust her father? The relationship between England and Aragon had not always been so good, that was true, but surely now that she was Henry’s queen her father would have every reason to be steadfast in his friendship with England.

“You can trust my father,” Catalina said softly, “Please, husband, believe that you can trust him. I am his own child, he would not see me hurt or abandoned. And I am Queen of England, so that means he will not see England hurt or abandoned.”

Henry looked slightly uneasy but he nodded, “I thank you for your encouragement, my lady. And I have come to a decision: tomorrow, I will tell Ambassador Caroz that we will join in this alliance.”

Last edited:
    V: March-April 1512
  • Linlithgow Palace, March 1512

The baby wasn’t breathing. Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scots listened desperately for the sound of her son’s first cry after he was born but only silence greeted her ears. From her birthing chair she watched helplessly as her midwife, a woman named Ellen, and her two assistants tried frantically to stimulate the little prince. The boy who should’ve been Duke of Rothesay and, God willing, his father’s heir as King of Scotland.

“Please,” Margaret murmured, “Please God let my son live. Preserve him. Let him grow old and happy.”

Ellen and her assistants continued their efforts, no one else in the chamber daring to do much as blink until the prince finally took his first breath. But some ten minutes passed, and not a sound had emerged from the infant’s still, blue form.

At last Ellen gestured for a swaddling blanket. With a solemn expression, she draped the blanket around Margaret’s son. A lump formed in Margaret’s throat as she watched. She had lost three children now - two sons and a daughter - and this fourth time was no easier than any of the previous three. Still the unbearable feelings of grief and the reminder that she had failed once more to give her husband a legitimate son and heir.

“I am so sorry, Your Grace,” Ellen said softly, placing Margaret’s bundled son in her arms, “He is gone.”

Tears filled Margaret’s eyes as she slowly moved the soft linen blanket to get a look at her son. His features were so perfectly formed...how was it that he had not lived? She gently stroked the soft pink hair on his head, showing perhaps that he would’ve been a redhead like Margaret herself. Margaret choked back a sob and pressed a kiss to his temple. Her boy. And he would never even know how much she loved him.

Greenwich Palace, April 1512

Henry studied the contents of the paper in front of him - England’s latest declaration of war against France - and nodded approvingly, “It is well. Make sure it is sent out tomorrow.”

“Of course, sire,” Thomas Wolsey, his father’s former chaplain and now Henry’s almoner, said, giving a stiff bow and turning to leave. Henry had been unsure about Wolsey at first, as the man had initially seemed to be against any English expansion in France, but now it looked as though he was coming around to Henry’s plans and making himself indispensable in the process.

“The Lord Marquess of Dorset,” Henry’s herald announced then, and into Henry’s audience chamber stepped Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset, a tall and fair haired man who was a distant cousin of Henry’s.

Henry couldn’t help but smile in greeting, “My lord Dorset.”

“Your Majesty,” Dorset said, bowing, “I must thank you for summoning me - it has been too long.”

“Indeed it has,” Henry mused, “And I would very much like the pleasure of your company in the tillyard later. But for now I have a request for you. As you have no doubt heard, this past autumn our kingdom signed an alliance with King Ferdinand of Aragon. Now we have joined him in declaring war on the French, as His Holiness himself has requested. I am planning an expedition to retake Gascony, the territory of my ancestors, and I would like for you to command it.”

Dorset’s eyes widened, “I would be honored to do so, Your Majesty. I am most grateful for the opportunity and I shall not disappoint you in this endeavor.”

“Good,” Henry replied with a nod, “You may speak with Master Wolsey regarding the procurement of troops and provisions, but I have already sent out calls for men and will be in touch with you about further details.” Perhaps it was his imagination but Henry could’ve sworn that a look of distaste passed over Dorset’s face at the mention of Wolsey.

“I will, Your Majesty. Thank you, Your Majesty,” Dorset said, giving another bow and then turning to leave.

Henry couldn’t help but feel a bit of elation as Dorset left. He had a very good feeling about this expedition in Gascony. Perhaps he would soon have his place in history alongside his many times great-grandsire Edward III, or the great Lancastrian King Henry V. Perhaps he would even dwarf them both…​

Last edited:
    VI: August 1512
  • Richmond, August 1512

Henry drummed his fingers against the arms of the chair in his audience chamber. Where was Dorset? The man had allowed England to be humiliated, and now he had the gall to be late for an audience with his king? A disgrace. The expedition to Gascony had been a complete and utter disgrace. And what was somehow even worse, Henry’s supposed ally, the King of Aragon, had sat by and watched as it all happened. King Fernando had not lifted a finger in aid to Henry’s men as their food and beer ran out; indeed, he had expected the English to aid him in his conquest of Navarre!

“The Lord Marquess of Dorset,” the herald finally announced, and Dorset entered into the room, looking, at least in Henry’s mind, like an appropriately demure servant of his king.

“Welcome back, my lord,” Henry said, his tone decidedly clipped, “I trust your journey was...comfortable?”

Dorset kept his expression placid but his body seemed to bristle at Henry’s words, “Yes, Your Majesty, my journey was entirely suitable.”

“And your military venture? Was that suitable?” Henry said, the annoyance in his voice growing.

“I-” Dorset was visibly taken aback.

“You have failed me!” Henry continued, “You have failed your King! And you will answer for it.” Dorset said nothing in response.

“Leave,” Henry said after a moment of silence, “I do not want to see you at court while I decide what shall be done to account for your...mismanagement. You are dismissed.”

“Of course, sire. Thank you, sire” came Dorset’s weary reply. Then the man bowed, turned around and left.

Once the door had closed, Henry let out a heavy sigh. He still had to deal with Dorset...there would be a court called, the man would have to face trial. He simply couldn’t allow such a waste of English lives and resources to go unpunished.

VII: June 1513
  • Note: I'm going to up the pacing a bit, hopefully this isn't going too far forward for everyone...

Dover, June 1513

Catalina leaned back against the cushions of her litter, resting a hand on her ever swelling stomach. She had been so pleased when she had finally quickened back in April, especially given as Henry had decided, though not without her help, to go to war with the French again. He had also decided to lead his troops personally this time, to prevent the sort of mismanagement that had occurred last summer. Now within the hour they would be at Dover Castle, from which Henry was to depart with his men. Catalina shot a glance over at Henry, who was trotting alongside her litter on his horse, laughing merrily at something Charles Brandon said. The glint of his armor reminded her though of what he was about to embark upon; Catalina could imagine the scene of his return, Henry basking in the glory of his continental victories and her glowing with her own triumph, a healthy little Duke of Cornwall snug in her arms.

The thought brought a smile to her face, and the child in her womb responded by shifting around and kicking.

“You are very lively today, mijo,” Catalina whispered, “Is that because you are excited to meet me and your papa? I am excited to meet you too but you must not come early, wait until you are strong and ready, comprendido?”

Her husband was already so delighted at the thought of finally having his son and heir. He was even making plans for the boy’s christening, assigning to him as godparents the King and Queen of Portugal, the Queen being Catalina’s dear sister Maria, as well as the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian. It pleased Catalina immensely to think that her little boy would have such illustrious sponsors, though Henry had shot down her suggestion of her own father as a godfather. That irked her, especially since just a year previously he would likely have welcomed having the King of Aragon as a godfather to their son.

Henry’s relatively recent distaste for his father-by-marriage was also continuing to seep unpleasantly into his relationship with Catalina. Indeed, politics had become a vanishingly rare topic in their conversations. Catalina understood that Henry might not always wish to discuss politics with his wife, the woman who was supposed to provide him with a refuge from the worldly concerns of his kingship, but his hesitancy hinted that he did not trust her, just as he did not trust her father, and that made her heart ache.

However, Henry had also told her some news before they had left Greenwich which made her feel much better about their relationship. Come his departure for France, she would be regent. The idea thrilled and exhilarated Catalina, and she was determined to do proud by her husband, as well as her mother in Heaven who had ruled her own kingdom with such grace and wisdom. Catalina was certain that she would not fail...no, she could not fail, either in serving as regent or in giving Henry a son and heir to reign as king after him.

Later that night, Henry and Catalina lay curled together on the bed in the Queen’s chambers. It was rare that they slept together without having intercourse, but they had a need of seeing each other as much as possible before Henry’s departure. Though nothing was said aloud about the subject, neither were blind to the fact that war was fraught with danger and Henry was soon to be heading into the thick of battle.

“I’m going to miss your hair,” Henry murmured into Catalina’s neck, hands resting gently on her waist.

“Oh?” Catalina said, her tone somewhat incredulous, “Why so?”

“The smell,” Henry replied, “It’s like...cinnamon and some sort of flower. I don’t know what it is but it’s lovely, intoxicating.”

Catalina snorted, “It’s just my perfumes. You can take those with you if you like.”

“No, no,” Henry said insistently, “I know what your perfumes smell like and that’s not what this is.”

“Well what is it then?” Catalina asked, turning her head to look at her husband.

“You,” Henry said simply, “Just you.”

They fell into silence then, Henry adjusting his hands so that one of them fell on Catalina's burgeoning abdomen. The baby kicked, responding to their father’s touch.

“Ah,” Henry said, breaking the silence, “That was a strong one. I see we have a budding warrior on our hands.”

“He will be the greatest warrior since his father,” Catalina said with a smile, then rolling over so that she was face to face with her husband, “I just…I can’t even say...I wish...”

“I know, Catlin. But do not worry,” Henry drew one of her hands up and placed a kiss on it, “You’ll do splendidly and I’ll be home before the baby comes, you’ll see.”

Catalina said nothing in response but rather buried her face in Henry’s shoulder, breathing him in as best she could. Henry rested his head on top of hers, equally trying to savor how his wife felt in his arms. Soon enough sleep overtook them.

Last edited:
    VIII: July 1513
  • Richmond, July 1513

Catalina shifted in her chair, attempting to get comfortable - a real challenge at six months pregnant, especially as her child seemed to have nestled themselves in her ribs and refused to move. Before her in the council room sat the two advisors her husband had recommended to her: William Warham, Archbishop of Canterbury and Thomas Howard, earl of Surrey. Catalina wasn’t particularly familiar with either man but Henry apparently trusted them both enough to leave in their hands matters which Catalina could not handle herself. And that was all that she needed.

“Gentleman,” Catalina said, clearing her throat, “For what reason have you called me here today?”

Warham and Surrey exchanged worried glances and Catalina’s heart began to race. Then Warham finally spoke.

“Your Grace, it seems that the King of Scots is mobilizing troops...and they are amassing at the southern border.”

“What are you saying?” Catalina asked; she could venture a fair guess but she only hoped that she was wrong…

“We believe that the Scots mean to invade England, my lady,” Surrey said flatly. The earl was in his seventies and a grisled veteran of the Cousins War so his plainspoken attitude toward the matter did not surprise Catalina in the least.

“Very well,” Catalina said before pausing for a moment to consider her options, “Obviously we must muster a force of our own to go and meet them should they invade.”

“Indeed,” Surrey replied, “I do not know when the Scots plan to invade but it will take at least several weeks for us to gather our own force.”

Catalina frowned, “That seems too long a time to wait, my lord Surrey. Can you do it any faster?”

Surrey exchanged another glance with Warham and then nodded, “I can have my men mustered and ready outside of London in three weeks, madam. There should be more than enough to turn back the Scots.”

A wave of relief washed over Catalina, “Wonderful. I thank you kindly, my lords, for your guidance in this matter.” Now she could only hope that the men would come and Surrey would succeed in driving out the Scots...for what more tenuous position was there for her to be in than to be pregnant and in charge while her husband was off fighting a war in France? With that she made a mental note that she should have Elizabeth and Mary brought to her, just in case.

IX: August-September 1513
  • Thérouanne, August 1513

Henry held his hand up, shielding his eyes to see better in the bright midday light. It was dusty and hot, as it was wont to be in August, the sun beating strongly overhead. Before him sat the town of Thérouanne - now all that remained was to take it. He glanced over at the man standing next to him - Henry Bourchier, earl of Essex.

“So, Essex,” Henry began, “You think their fortifications are weak enough now?”

The older man nodded, “Yes, I believe so. Our guns are working well but still, it will not be an easy task.”

As if to demonstrate the dangers, just then a distinctive whistle came from the direction of Thérouanne. A moment later, there was an explosion along the earthen defenses that Henry’s forces had been working on all through the summer - fortunately, it was well away from him and Essex, though they both ducked behind the mound in front of them..

“Thank Jesu that was not closer,” Henry said, standing and brushing off some of the dust that had been kicked up by the impact of the French shot and settled on his doublet.

“Indeed,” the earl said in agreement, “But it was a close one, two feet to the left and it would’ve taken out John the Evangelist.” John the Evangelist was one of the two cannon that Henry’s troops had, and it was fortunate that they had even been able to drag it here from Calais.

Henry nodded, “That could’ve been disastrous. Something must give, we can’t continue for much longer like this without losing men and valuable arms. I’ve heard that King Louis’s troops are on the move - do you think they’re planning to try and break the siege again?”

Essex was quiet for a moment before responding, “It could be. You know a large portion of the French forces are mercenaries, even more so than our own. It would be in King Louis’s interest to try and put an end to this if he can.”

“Not if we can end it first,” Henry said firmly, “If the French show any signs of moving to relieve Thérouanne, we should give battle to them and try to force an end to this before they do.”

“That seems as good a plan as any,” Essex replied with a stiff nod.

Henry was about to ask about the readiness of Essex’s troops when a courier came running up to them.

“Your Highness,” the young man said in French, giving a hasty bow, “The Emperor Maximilian sends word that he has arrived at Aire and anticipates your arrival.”

“Ah,” Henry said, a smile coming over his face, “So it begins. Tell your Master that I will be there tomorrow and look forward to treating with him.”

Buckingham, September 1513

“Are you sure this is a good idea, my lady?” one of Catalina’s attendants, Mabel, Lady Scrope, asked hesitantly as she inserted the last pin into the bodice of Catalina’s gown.

“Yes,” Catalina said, feeling rather assured, “It is important that I encourage the men, before they may see battle.” She turned around then and studied herself in the mirror. She had chosen this outfit well - a fine, lightweight red wool gown over a green silk kirtle, red and green being the colors of the Tudor dynasty. Hopefully it would remind the men of what they were fighting for.

“My lady, the groom is here, your horse is ready,” Catalina’s lady-in-waiting Isabel de Vargas said, poking her head in the door of her bedchamber.

Catalina took a deep breath and exhaled, “Very well, please tell him that I will be there in a moment.” She was nervous, more nervous perhaps than she ought to be. She was just going to ride a horse around in front of the reserve troops, it was hardly something life threatening. But still, she was taking a risk by mounting a horse in the first place this late in her pregnancy...if anything happened…her Henry would never forgive her. Her physicians hadn’t even wanted her to go north at all, they wanted her to stay at Richmond, which was being properly prepared for her confinement.

There is no reason why the rooms here cannot be prepared for my confinement if necessary, Catalina reminded herself. And her mother had been on campaign countless times while with child, in more precarious situations than this. Catalina should be honored to be following in her footsteps. Having steeled her resolve, she gave a nod to Lady Scrope and left, the groom trailing her down to the stables.

Last edited:
    X: September 1513
  • Buckingham, September 1513

Catalina was seated in her audience chamber when the earl of Surrey’s herald burst into the room, breathless and red faced.

“Your Grace,” he managed, kneeling before Catalina, “Yesterday our men engaged the Scots near the small village of Felkington and I am most pleased to report that they were defeated, their forces scattered and in retreat back across the River Tweed!”

“Truly?” Catalina gasped in delight. Murmurs rose throughout those also gathered, who were no doubt also quite pleased with the news.

“Yes,” the herald said, pulling out a letter stamped with the earl of Surrey’s sigil, “And here you can read it in my master’s own hand.”

Catalina took the letter and murmured words of thanks to the young herald before indicating to one of her ladies to give him a few silver coins for his services. The letter from the earl did indeed indicate that the Scots had been defeated - but it was not just a defeat, it was a crushing blow. The flower of the Scottish nobility had been slain, with the earls of Montrose, Bothwell, and Argyll all dead on a field in Northumberland.

The only thing that still gave Catalina cause for concern was the fact that the Scottish king’s exact fate was yet unknown. Surrey did not discount that he was dead on the field alongside his earls, but if that was so then his body had not been located. Men who were on the field also reported having seen the royal standard of Scotland in retreat. If King James was able to regroup his forces…well, be as it may there was no chance of her returning to London now.

Catalina gestured to Maria de Salinas, who came over immediately.

“Have my chambers here prepared for my lying in,” Catalina said quietly, “And find a midwife who can assist in a delivery.”

Maria looked concerned, “Are you quite sure, my lady? Suppose the King of Scots is able to bring his men this way…”

Catalina shook her head, “Surrey will stop him again. Besides, I have a feeling that, if he has survived, he will be in the mood for peace, not war. But I must remain here in the north at least until his fate is ascertained. Which means that I must enter my confinement here as well.”

“I understand, my lady,” Maria said with a nod, “We’ll see to it that everything is ready.”

With that, Maria stepped back over to rejoin Catalina’s other ladies and Catalina herself exhaled as she watched the scene before her, her household all excitedly discussing the victory against the Scots. But she had little time to enjoy it before she suddenly felt a wetness growing underneath her, the liquid seeping down her legs. Her water had broken.

Stirling, September 1513

Margaret’s heart soared as she watched the small party, bearing the royal standard of Scotland, enter the keep of Stirling. Her husband was alive, her husband was alive. The men wore their cloaks, cold and drizzly as it was, so she couldn’t tell which one was James but it didn’t matter. He was down there. He was alive.

The anticipation was too much. Margaret rose and, despite some glances from her ladies, hurried down to the keep from her chambers. The men were dismounting, grooms standing by to take their horses to the stables, when Margaret arrived.

“James!” she cried, relief flooding over her to at last see her husband’s face.

The King of Scots grinned back at his wife and enveloped Margaret in a hug.

“Meg,” he murmured, “By Saint Ninian, I am so very glad to see you.”

“And I you,” Margaret replied, flushing, “I...I couldn’t bear it, when I first heard of what happened and wasn’t sure if you were alive or not...and with our child on the way...”

James’s hand went down to rest on Margaret’s pregnant stomach, “Well, our prince need not fear not knowing his father. Not if I have anything to say about it.”

Margaret smiled, “He will adore you, that is certain.”

James chuckled but then a more somber expression quickly passed over him, “In truth, I’m not sure he should. This defeat, it should not have happened. I led so many fine men to their deaths.”

“I heard about Alexander,” Margaret said softly, referring to James’s illegitimate son, the prior of St. Andrews, who had been born before their marriage. It pained her to think of her husband’s bastards, some of whom had been born after their marriage, but in that moment she felt too much for James to let it pass.

“I failed him,” James said cooly, staring off past Margaret, as if envisioning his son’s death, “I failed him as a sovereign and a father both.” His voice seemed to break towards the end and Margaret wondered for a moment if he was actually going to cry. That was not something she had ever seen James do.

Margaret reached out and placed what she hoped was a comforting hand on James’s arm, “My lord, I am so sorry that you had to lose him. But I am sure he would not want you to blame yourself for his death.”

James looked at her with very tired eyes and shook his head, “Who else is there to blame, Meg? I did this. I led my men into Northumberland. The blood is on my hands, once again.”

With that, James turned to walk up into the castle and Margaret sighed. How her heart ached for him. With any luck her brother would soon sue for peace, though no settlement or treaty could bring back Alexander, or assuage the guilt that her husband felt. She wondered if he would add another iron chain around his waist come Lent.

XI: October-December 1513
  • Calais, October 1513

Henry sat the letter from his wife down on the table with a heavy sigh. She wrote news of Scotland, reminding him that King James had declared himself open to peace negotiations. Henry was not surprised to hear that, after the sound thrashing that had been given to the Scots by Surrey. Katherine also wondered why he hadn’t yet made plans to return home to complete the negotiations in person and to see their new daughter, who was just over a month old. Conveniently, this also meant that Katherine had recently been churched and that they could resume their attempts to at last have a son.

“Is everything well, Harry?” Charles Brandon asked, looking up from the bow that he was fiddling with. The two men had been planning to go hunting until it had started pouring rain earlier that afternoon. Charles clearly was still hoping that the rain might cease.

Henry snorted, “My wife asks why I have not returned home. To see our new daughter.”

“Oh?” Charles, a man who could relate to having only daughters, for he had two young girls of his own, asked quizically, “And why have you not returned? Surely there is naught to be done here in Calais besides get rained out of going hunting.”

“I know I should not begrudge Katherine giving me another girl,” Henry said, continuing almost as though Charles had not said anything, “After all, my own grandsire King Edward IV had three daughters before his wife gave him a son. And she bore him two more besides. Perhaps it will be the same for us.”

Charles frowned, “So what is the trouble then? Why do we not return to England?”

“Well, for one, I do not think our military situation would yet allow it. I’ve made an agreement with the Lady Governess that her father’s forces will support us should the French make a play for Tournai, Boulogne, or Thérouanne, but we need a peace with the French and that may not happen until after Christmas at this point,” Henry then turned to look at Charles, “Do you happen to know how the Emperor and the Governess are disposed towards such a treaty?”

Unexpectedly, Charles actually flushed at bit at the mention of the Archduchess Margaret, Governess of Burgundy in the name of her young nephew Charles, “Well, you know it has been some time since I have spoken with her...but I do not believe her averse to it at this point. As for the Emperor, I know the Archduchess hardly speaks with his voice so I am unsure of his feelings.”

“Still lovelorn, are you?” Henry teased his friend, “I knew you were sweet on her but God, man. Well, nevermind it, I will write to Boleyn and ask him what the Archduchess’s opinion is.”

Charles scoffed, “Boleyn? What is it that you see in him? Surely he does not deserve to be your representative at the Governess’s court - he is but the son of a grocer!”

“He’s also the grandson of an earl, and his father was never a grocer,” Henry said sharply, “But what is more important, the man has intelligence and tact. He’s already made himself quite useful. You could make yourself useful too, Charles, if you would quit moping about the rain and not being able to hunt.”

Charles said nothing in response, though he probably had a disgruntled expression on his face, and Henry turned back to his papers. God, why had he left Wolsey back in Tournai...

Greenwich, December 1513

Mary Tudor shrieked in delight as her older sister Elizabeth swung her around their mother’s audience chamber to the music of the lutenists. It was almost Christmas, and Catalina had ordered her two older daughters brought to her at Greenwich, so that they could all be together. A family. Well, not quite a family. Henry was still in Calais, and it pained Catalina deeply that he had not returned yet.

“Mama want dance?” Mary cried out, clamoring over to Catalina.

Catalina laughed and scooped her daughter up in her arms, “Of course, mija! I would love to dance!” She then set Mary down, and the two year old grabbed her mother’s arms and attempted to swing her around as Elizabeth had just done.

Elizabeth just scowled at this, “Mary, you are doing it wrong!” She then bustled over to take Mary’s place dancing with Catalina, who happily allowed her oldest daughter to dance her around. Mary seemed content with this, as her attention had shifted to baby Katherine, who was in her nurse’s arms in the corner.

Catalina glanced over at her two younger daughters and smiled to herself. Both Elizabeth and Mary adored little ‘Catlin’, as they called her, and they were often holding her, singing to her, or just talking at her. Even Henry had declared himself to be content with Katherine’s birth, though Catalina did not doubt that he still ached to have a son and heir. She knew he had promised to return home early in the new year and hopefully she would fall pregnant again not too long after that.

Just then, the door opened and another Mary Tudor, this one Catalina’s sister-in-law, entered. The older Mary was soon set upon by elder two of her nieces - Mary had been sitting earlier that day for a portrait by the artist Sittow, which was to be sent to her fiancée Charles of Castile, who was Catalina’s nephew. Both Elizabeth and little Mary were eager to hear of their aunt’s experience, for neither had yet sat for a portrait and they were fascinated by the fancy jewels she wore for the occasion.

Mary managed to shoo the young girls off with the promise of a dance once she had spoken with their mother, and came over to sit next to Catalina, smiling as she did so.

“They’re...quite eager,” Mary said with a laugh, “I thought Mary was going to rip my necklace off and take it for herself!”

Catalina chuckled, “You must be firm with them - well, with all children. But you will know soon enough. My nephew turns 14 in two months, and then you two can be officially wed and live together as husband and wife.”

“Yes,” Mary said, flushing a bit, “I suppose I will know soon enough, if God wills it so. You mention the King of Castile’s birthday - has my brother written to you with a final date for when I am to depart to Calais for the wedding?”

Catalina had to shake her head, “I am sorry but he has not. It seems the only thing that was agreed is that it would be in May of next year.” Catalina did not mention that Henry had told her in his very latest letter that the King of Aragon was trying to engage Charles to the King of France’s younger daughter, the three year old Renée.

“I think it was good that the King commissioned my portrait by Master Sittow,” Mary said, a look of great hope in her eyes, “He told me, before he left for France, that it would help to speed things along. And Charles, I think he is very eager to be wed to me. He already signs his letters to me ‘votre bon mari’ and earlier this month he sent a gentleman to ask after my health.”

Catalina smiled, “Those are good signs indeed, and I cannot help but think that the portrait will be immensely pleasing to the King.” Again she held her tongue, holding back the impulse to remind Mary not to get too swept up in it all, that her marriage was still very much a political arrangement, however prettily Charles might sign his letters to her. Catalina only hoped that the poor girl wouldn’t be too upset if the future she was clearly already imagining for herself was lost to the fickle nature of international alliances.

Last edited:
    XII: ATL Fan Cast
  • Sadly, I don't have an update for either one of my timelines this week, because I'm experiencing some ~*anxiety*~. However, I do have a brief cast list for an ATL TV show about the Tudors...

Henry VIII of England - Iain Batchelor
    Iain Batchelor - Wall Of Celebrities

Catherine of Aragon - Charlotte Hope

The Spanish Princess's Charlotte Hope Interview About Catherine of Aragon's  Infertility

Margaret Tudor - Florence Pugh
    Outlaw King': Who Is Florence Pugh, aka Robert the Bruce's Awesome Wife? |  Decider

Mary Tudor - Saoirse Ronan
    Saoirse Ronan Fiercely Battles All the Bad Men in Mary Queen of Scots |  Vanity Fair

James V of Scotland - Steven Cree
    Ian Murray (Sr.) Appreciation Post: Outlander

Charles Brandon, Viscount Lisle/Duke of Suffolk - William Moseley
    William Moseley - IMDb

Thomas Wolsey - Andrew Whipp
    Andrew Whipp - Independent Talent

XIII: January-April 1514
  • Richmond, January 1514

“My lord,” Catalina murmured, sinking into a curtsey as Henry entered the packed audience chamber. Her husband looked almost as though a new man to her - he had allowed himself to grow a bit of facial hair, it seemed, and his eyes were unusually hard and serious. But then he smiled as Catalina rose, and it seemed as though they never spent any time apart.

“I must thank you, my queen,” Henry said loudly, “For your courage, leadership, and sense in my absence. You ended the war with the Scots and gave us another fine princess. To you, this kingdom owes a debt of gratitude. God has truly smiled on us!”

Catalina flushed as Henry spoke these words, “My husband, your words are balm to me. It is the greatest pleasure of my life that I have served you and England so well. And allow me to introduce you to our new daughter, Lady Katherine.” Here Catalina gestured off to the side and Lady Bryan stepped forward, Katherine in her arms.

“Ah!” Henry beamed, stepping over and studying his youngest daughter for the first time, “What a lovely girl! And how fare our other ladies?”

Catalina smiled widely, “They are most well! Elizabeth, Mary, come over here and greet your father!”

“Papa!” Elizabeth cried, rushing forward and throwing her arms around Henry’s legs.

Henry laughed and scooped Elizabeth up, “Hello Eliza, my sweet! Have you been good for your Mama and Lady Bryan?”

“YES!” Elizabeth shrieked, “Mary has been good too!”

Mary, who was clutching her mother’s skirts, smiled shyly in response but said nothing.

“Come now, Mollet, do you not want to greet your King and father?” Henry boomed, setting Elizabeth down.

“No,” the girl said softly but insistently, “I want Mama.”

The entire audience chamber erupted into laughter, with Henry declaring that she was a true Tudor and Catalina picking Mary up so that she could at least greet her father. Mary’s discomfort with anyone who was not Catalina or Lady Bryan did concern her a bit, but at least Mary happily embraced Henry from her mother’s arms.

“Perhaps we should retreat to your privy chambers,” Catalina whispered to Henry as Mary buried her face in Catalina’s shoulder, “Mary may feel more at ease there, and I do wish to speak with you in more privacy.”

Henry nodded, “Of course, my lady.” Henry’s tone was even but Catalina could’ve sworn she saw anger flash in his eyes...but what for? They had reunited not ten minutes before, how could she have already angered him?

With that, they were off to Henry’s privy chambers, Lady Bryan taking the girls back to the nursery. Once the door had closed behind the two of them, Henry turned and looked at Catalina.

“You could have lost the child,” he said coolly, “Why did you stay at Buckingham? And go parading about on a horse in front of the troops?”

Catalina frowned, “What would you have had me do instead? Abandon our men in their hour of need?”

Henry snorted in response, “Those troops did not even see battle! Honestly, I do not understand why you did that!”

“I was doing what I thought best!” Catalina protested, “Lord Surrey defeated the Scots, their king is suing for peace, and our child is completely healthy!”

“Oh indeed,” Henry said, sneering, “You have steered this kingdom well, madame. It is purely coincidence that my alliance with your father and the Emperor has brought me naught but expense and humiliation.”

Catalina bristled, “Is that what this is about? You are frustrated with my father and you presume to take it out on me? Well...I will not have it. I did my duty to England, or at least I have tried to. I refuse to answer for the actions of my father.”

“Did you not tell me that I must enter this war?” Henry said, his anger clearly rising, “Did you not tell me that it was my Christian duty to join this war against the French? By God, woman, you say that you do not speak with your father’s voice but your words could have come straight from the mouth of Ambassador Caroz!”

“I would not have suggested it if I did not think it was best for England! I am my father’s daughter, and the only thing he has ever told me is that I must put England first!” Catalina replied, “Meanwhile, you consider that you would make peace with the French! Yes, you are Henry V reborn indeed…”

Henry’s face was almost beet red by this point, “I did not make peace with them before the King of Aragon did! And I will not stand here and be insulted by you any longer! Leave this place!”

Catalina pressed her lips together, resisting the urge to further yell at her husband. The lessons of her childhood on the proper conduct of a Christian wife towards her husband flooded back to her. But she doubted that any of the women in those stories had had to deal with a husband like Henry, and certainly none of them had been queens.

“I am sorry, my lord, if I spoke out of hand,” Catalina said at last, in as flat a tone as she could manage, “You are king in this realm, not me. But may I at least trust that you will visit my bed this night?”

Henry looked at Catalina with an expression of distaste on his face but, to her great surprise, he nodded in affirmation.

“We must see to it that England has an heir, whatever our disagreements,” he said curtly. Relief flooded over Catalina at hearing this - perhaps if she could finally give him a Prince of Wales, she would be in a position to convince Henry to reconcile with her father.

Linlithgow, April 1514

Margaret was happy, utterly and completely happy, for the first time in nearly seven months. The anxieties of her pregnancy - the constant worry that, at any moment, the kicks and flutters which she felt in her stomach might cease, signaling the death of her son before he had even known life - were all abated. In her arms, the little Duke of Rothesay, a large and chubby baby who already had a deep, manly cry, squalled and struggled against his swaddlings.

“Are you itching for the tiltyard already, my sweet?” Margaret cooed down at her son, “Your papa will be so proud...say that you are a true son of his…”

It had only been a few hours since she had given birth, and so James had not even had the chance to come and meet his son and heir. Margaret was eager for him to do so; nobody had said anything to her directly, but she knew that there were some at court who wished for James to set her aside. They said she was too old, that she was incapable of giving James a living son, that the alliance with England had clearly fallen apart anyways. For her part, Margaret had to wonder how much the French king was paying these individuals, as in all of this talk there seemed to be an implicit suggestion that James should marry a young French princess instead. And at any rate, she knew there to be no chance of her husband setting her aside. Not as long as the boy she currently held in her arms remained as robust as he seemed now.

Margaret’s thoughts were interrupted by a rustling as the door to her lying-in chamber opened and James stepped in, beaming at her and their son. His smile made her heart quiver just as it had when she had first arrived in Scotland all those years ago, as a mere girl of 13.

“I wish to be alone with my husband,” Margaret said then, and her various attendants quickly shuffled out of the chamber.

“Our little Duke is a bonny one,” James said once they were alone, walking over to get a closer look at his son.

“He is indeed,” Margaret murmured as she also stared down at her son, who was looking up at her with the slate blue eyes of all newborns.

“I suppose we will have to have a christening soon. And give the boy a proper name, as well as godparents,” James said, glancing at Margaret somewhat expectantly, “I have considered that I would like the Earl of Arran and the King of France to serve as his godfathers. You may choose who is the godmother.”

Margaret bristled a bit at the names of the earl of Arran and the King of France. She knew those who were close with France were no friends of hers, but James himself had suggested them so there was only so much that she could do...

“I think Queen Katherine of England should serve as godmother,” Margaret said finally.

James looked surprised at this, “Oh? Very well then, I did give you your choice and I shall honor it.”

“And I will abide by yours, husband,” Margaret said somewhat cheekily, eliciting an eyeroll from James. She was quiet for a moment then, thinking over what she was about to propose before speaking it.

“I know that you wanted to name your heir James, after your father. But...what about Alexander?”

James opened his mouth as if to say something, then promptly closed it. Then he leaned over and drew Margaret into an embrace, pressing a kiss to her cheek as he did so.

“Margaret Tudor,” James said softly, letting go of Margaret after a moment and resting his forehead against hers, “You are the most miraculous woman I have known.”

Margaret scoffed, but she couldn’t help but smile at the same time, “Well, I would not want him to forget his older brother, now would I?”

Last edited:
    XIV: June-October 1514
  • Greenwich, June 1514

“You vile knave! You unscrupulous villain!” Mary screamed, bursting quite unexpectedly into Henry’s privy chamber, “Do you truly expect me to marry that man?! I will not do it!”

Henry frowned and sat down the lute that he had been playing, “Hello, sister. I see you have been informed of your new engagement.”

Mary’s face grew red, as it always did when she was infuriated, “My new engagement? Is that truly what you call this torturous arrangement? For this was my match with the King of Castile thrown away? The King of France is well old enough to be my father! It is a disgrace and it is wholly your fault!”

“My fault?” Now it was Henry’s turn to get infuriated, “My fault? Well then, if you are so hot to marry young Charles then perhaps you ought to write a letter to his grandfather. Because I am done treating with the King of Aragon! Did you not know that he was urging your precious Charles to put you away anyways? Yes, indeed, as we speak old Ferdinand is arranging for Charles’s betrothal to King Louis’s younger daughter - a child of three, Mary! Now tell me whose insult is the greater!”

“Yours by far! You have let your pride ruin this alliance, through which you gained your wife! And through which I might have gained my happiness! You have sacrificed my youth and my future at the altar of your vanity!” Mary spat.

“You will not speak to me in such a way, you insolent girl!” Henry roared in response, “You will go to France and you will marry Louis! That is the end of it! Now get out of my sight or you shall be dragged from it!”

Suddenly then, tears began to bud in Mary’s eyes, “Your Grace...please...I did not mean to let my anger fly away from me so. But surely you must acknowledge that this is a sacrifice on my part. Please, Brother. Give me something to hold onto, so that I may do what you command of me.”

“Oh…” Henry’s anger began to dissipate at seeing his sister’s tears, “You are crafty. But I cannot promise you anything and you ought to know that. Should Louis die without getting a child by you, your remarriage would be at the behest of his successor. You may not like it, but it is what is good and just.”

“Good and just,” Mary repeated softly, “Good and just. Is that truly what you think of this? A young girl in the bed of an aging, decrepit old king? Good indeed! Just indeed! Do you truly think our parents would have made me go through with this?”

Henry sighed in frustration. Mary knew what she was doing, there was no universe in which she did not. And yet, Henry couldn’t help but feel a bit of pity for her. It was not the comment about their parents - in fact, they likely would’ve had less sympathy for Mary than he did. But they had also both commanded Henry to look after Mary, to see to her happiness. Henry wasn’t entirely convinced that she wouldn’t be happy in France; Louis was delighted at the thought of marriage to her and was unlikely to live terribly long past their wedding anyways. With any luck, Mary would wind up a young and rich widow, regent of France for her and Louis’s infant son. Why she couldn’t see all of that, Henry didn’t know. He did know, though, that the face of the girl in front of him, blotchy and teary eyed as it was, was not happy.

“Mary,” Henry said at last, “I want you to be happy. I want you to go to France and be happy. Imagine if you and Louis were to have a son. You would be young, rich, and regent of France. Is that not something that you would want?”

Mary hesitated for a second but her expression remained firm, “I would rather die the poorest pauper than be the wife of the King of France for a moment. Mark my words on that, Your Highness.”

“Then I fear we are at an impasse,” Henry said coolly, “If you want to die a pauper then that can surely be arranged. But I will give you time to accept what I am asking of you. This is the one kindness I can grant, Mary. Make use of it.”

Mary apparently knew a dismissal when she heard one, for as soon as she heard this she pressed her lips together and gave a stiff bow before turning around and leaving.

Abbeville, October 1514

It was a pitiful wedding if ever there had been one. The bride, not more than 18 years old and perhaps the most beautiful girl in all of Christendom, was absolutely resplendent, her gown of cloth of silver contrasting splendidly with her long, loose red hair, the rich ultramarine of her kirtle bringing out her sparkling blue eyes. Meanwhile, her groom was a tall and haggard looking man in his fifties, clearly in ill health though he had managed to tremble his way down the aisle. His clothing was as grand as his bride’s and perhaps he would’ve been dashing in it at one time, but that time in question was long gone. In spite of all this, he had a smile on his face on that rainy autumn day and looked with nothing but delight on the girl processing towards him.

For her part, Mary was not nervous, not anymore. Louis was old and weak - with God’s assistance, he would not be able to consummate their marriage and Mary would not even have to endure the part of it all which she had dreaded the most. And at any rate, even if the old king could manage to bed her, he was so besotted with her that she felt most assured of having her way in all other things.

“My lady,” Louis said, bowing gallantly as Mary reached him.

“My lord,” Mary said softly, bowing in response.

Mary then took Louis’s arm, and they knelt together in front of the altar to become husband and wife.

York, October 1514

Catalina attempted to keep a happy expression on her face as she watched the scene playing out in front of her. It had been easy enough watching the Scottish party arrive the previous evening - Queen Margaret was pleasant company and baby Alexander was a delight - but now, standing by the altar at York Minster, she felt bile rising in her throat. She had failed to convince Henry to reconcile with her father and now both the older and younger Mary Tudor were to be sacrificed in the name of peace with France and Scotland, the older Mary’s engagement to Catalina’s nephew discarded. Catalina’s only consolation was that she was once again with child, due to give birth in December.

It was Lady Bryan who walked three year old Mary down the aisle. The Queen of Scots and her son were already standing at the altar, Queen Margaret’s gown failing to conceal her own pregnant stomach and the Duke being held by his nurse, who had been given a new gown of her own for the occasion. The new Scottish ambassador, Patrick Paniter, was also present to serve as the Duke’s proxy, while Mary was to be represented by Master Roger Ratcliffe, one of Catalina’s gentleman ushers.

When Lady Bryan and Mary arrived at the altar, Thomas Wolsey, who was officiating in his new capacity as Archbishop of York, stepped forward and took Mary’s hand. He then placed it in Master Paniter’s hand, and began the ceremony. Catalina couldn’t help but be proud of her daughter - despite the somewhat bored expression on her face, Mary looked every inch a princess worthy of her ancestry, wearing a gown of deep green velvet over a black damask kirtle trimmed in pearls and diamonds, and a necklace around her neck of red and white Tudor roses interspersed with a stylized ‘A’ for her betrothed, all wrought in gold. The necklace had been commissioned by the Scottish king for his future daughter in law and had arrived just in time for the ceremony.

At last, Wolsey’s prayers and blessings were concluded and it was time for the exchange of rings. Roger Ratcliffe stepped forward first.

“I, Lady Mary Tudor, by consent of my lord father Henry VIII, King of England and France and Lord of Ireland, do plight my troth to thee, Alexander Stewart, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.”

Ratcliffe handed to Paniter a plain gold ring, which Catalina knew had been engraved with the phrase ‘My heart is forever yours’, and Paniter then spoke.

“I, Alexander Stewart, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, by consent of my lord father James IV, King of Scotland, do plight my troth to thee, Lady Mary Tudor.”

After he finished, Paniter reached out and placed on Ratcliffe’s finger a silver ring encrusted in sapphires. Wolsey said one final benediction, and then Catalina rose, as the parties departed the minster for the celebrations at Bishopthorpe Palace. Mary clung to Catalina as they rode in their litter together.

“You did very well in the ceremony, my dear,” Catalina said softly, stroking her daughter’s dark hair.

“I did, Mama?” Mary asked, looking up at Catalina with expectant eyes.

Catalina nodded, “Of course, querida. Young Alexander will be very lucky to have you as his bride one day. You will make an excellent queen for Scotland.”

Mary was quiet for a moment, then spoke, “Yes, Mama.”

Last edited:
    XV: November-December 1514
  • York, October 1514 (Continued)

At last they arrived at Bishopthorpe. They were greeted just inside the door by Wolsey, who had made sure to arrive ahead of his guests; Catalina was unsure what to make of the man, but Henry certainly liked him and so she was willing to give him a chance.

“Your Grace,” Catalina said, bowing, “I thank you for your hospitality in hosting these celebrations of the peace between England and Scotland.”

“It is my great pleasure, Your Highness,” Wolsey replied, smiling at Catalina, “For it was the King’s wish, and the King’s wish is my pleasure.”

Catalina nodded hesitantly, “Of course, Your Grace.”

Then she and her party were ushered inside to the Great Hall. The Scottish party had already arrived; on a dais, Queen Margaret sat in a chair under a canopy of cloth of gold embroidered with the thistle of Scotland and the Stewart coat of arms, Duke Alexander squalling in her arms. Next to her were two other chairs, under another cloth of gold canopy which was embroidered with the royal arms of England and a Tudor rose.

Catalina turned to her daughter, who stood next to her, “Now remember, Mary, you are going to sit in the chair while your betrothal gift from the Scottish king is presented to you.” Mary said nothing but nodded in understanding, so the two proceeded to the dais. Once Mary and Catalina were seated, the festivities began.

“My lady,” Paniter declared, stepping forward, “It is my honor to present to you with this gift, courtesy of my lord master, King James IV,” Paniter gestured off to the side and a groom entered the hall leading a pure white pony, “This fine horse was bred especially for my lady’s pleasure on the Shetland Isles in the north of our fair kingdom.”

Mary glanced up at her mother, excitement shining in her eyes, “Mama, he is so beautiful...may I go pet him?”

“Of course,” Catalina said, smiling warmly, “Go and greet your steed!”

Mary sprang up from her chair and ran forward, throwing her arms around the pony’s neck and stroking his main.

“His name is El Cid,” Mary declared, “For the great knight!”

“A fine name, my lady,” Paniter said, motioning for the groom from earlier to step forward again, this time carrying a saddle of supple brown leather embossed with gold, red, and green, “And a horse requires a saddle, so my lord thought it appropriate to commission this fine saddle for you as well.”

Mary still engrossed in petting El Cid, Catalina smiled at Paniter, “We thank you, Your Excellency, for these most generous gifts. I am sure Lady Mary will have many hours of enjoyment from them.”

“It was my honor and privilege, Your Grace,” Paniter said, bowing before stepping back.

With the King of Scots’s gift presented, Mary was finally torn away from El Cid, who was led off to the stables, so that the further celebrations could begin.

“I am glad to see that my godson is growing so well,” Catalina said quietly to Queen Margaret as the performers for the first masque began to enter, “He is truly a beautiful little boy.”

Margaret beamed, “He is! James is absolutely besotted with him - truly, I never knew that a man could be so enamoured of a child. The other week, I came across him laying on the floor in Alexander’s nursery playing with him!”

Catalina forced her lips into a smile, “Indeed. Your brother adores his daughters as well and is a most attentive father.”

“I am glad to hear it,” Margaret said with a nod, “I must admit, I admire you for your fortitude in facing all of this.”

“Of course,” Catalina replied, struggling to keep herself from grimacing at the thought of Henry’s alliance with France, “It has not been easy to see my husband abandon my father.”

Margaret gave Catalina a sympathetic look, “I know the feeling well myself. The court in Scotland is crawling with partisans of the French. It never gets easier, watching your husband listen to those who wish harm on the country of your birth. At the very least, you may trust that your Mary will always have my love and support, once she comes to Scotland.”

Catalina could have wept for relief, “Thank you, dear sister.” She and Margaret exchanged a knowing smile and turned their attention to the masque.

Château de Blois, November 1514

Mary sighed as she rested her head against her husband’s chest. The ragged state of his breathing after their intercourse both relieved and alarmed her. Louis was a kind man, a good man. And Mary certainly enjoyed being a queen. But still, it would be a lie to say that Mary did not fantasize about being able to remarry to a younger, more vigorous man.

“What are you thinking about, ma belle Anglaise?” Louis asked in between shaky breaths.

Mary smiled hesitantly, “Just how delightful it is to be in your arms, Your Majesty.”

“Ah,” Louis chuckled, “You amuse me so, Marie. But still, you need not flatter me. I know what I am, and I know what you are.”

“I know what you are as well,” Mary said insistently, propping herself up to look at Louis, “You are a gracious, generous husband and king.”

Louis gave her a look somewhere between hurt and amusement, “Do not mock me, madame. Please, I know you are thinking of something. Why will you not tell me?”

Mary sighed heavily and sat up, racking her brain for something to say, “Fine, my lord. I will tell you. I was thinking that I am so lucky to have a husband who permits me to retain my own attendants. When my brother’s wife came from Spain, much of her household was sent away.”

“You enjoy having your English ladies to wait upon you?” Louis said, raising an eyebrow, “I have had many complaints about them. Particularly Madame Guildford.”

“Mother Guildford?” Mary asked in surprise, “Your courtiers disapprove of her?”

Louis nodded, “They say it is inappropriate for her to behave as she does, being an Englishwoman in the French queen’s household. And I must say, I am not averse to their arguments.”

“So what, you would have me dismiss her? Send her back to England?” Mary frowned, “She has been with me since I was a child!”

“But you were an English princess then,” Louis said flatly, “Now you are a French queen. If you would not dismiss her yourself, then I shall dismiss her.

Mary scowled, “So that is it, then? Your words are empty? You tell me that I am a star plucked from the Heavens and set upon Earth, that you will give me anything my heart desires, that you would rather be struck down than see me unhappy...and yet you would do this to me?”

Louis just sighed, “Marie, please, surely you are not so naïve as to not see why your English ladies, particularly Madame Guildford, cannot remain here. As I said, ma belle, you are Queen of France now. It is best that you be served by French women.”

Mary said nothing in response. Louis was not like her brother, who would’ve bent already to her will. He was older, a widower, more hardened by time and experience. As much as it disappointed her, it was plain that there would be no changing his mind on this matter. Mother Guildford would have to go.

“May I at least have some say in her replacement?” Mary said quietly after a moment, “And perhaps order some new gowns? And brooches?”

Louis gave her a brilliant smile, and for a split second Mary found herself wishing desperately that he were a younger man, “Of course, ma belle. Anything that your heart desires.”

Windsor, December 1514

Henry lifted the bow, steadied his aim, and drew his elbow back. With a whoosh, his arrow was loosed and whizzed its way to the target, hitting just outside of the center.

“A brilliant shot, Your Majesty,” Henry Courtenay, earl of Devon, Henry’s younger cousin and frequent companion, declared, “I dare say that I will be hard pressed to match it.”

“Do your worst,” Henry said with a wicked grin.

Courtenay smirked, “Are you sure, my lord? We wouldn’t want a repeat of last week’s tennis ma-”

Courtenay’s joshing of his king was interrupted by the sudden arrival of a herald in the Queen’s livery. Both Henry and his cousin grew stony faced as the man knelt, for there was no doubt in either of their minds that the man brought news that the Queen had finally given birth.

“Your Majesty,” the herald began, “I must inform you that Her Grace the Queen has been delivered of a healthy baby girl.”

Henry gulped, “Thank you, good man. Please, return to Her Grace and let her know that I will be to see her soon.”

The herald nodded in understanding and left. Henry turned to Courtenay and groaned.

“Another daughter! God’s teeth, what have I done to deserve this!” he scowled.

Courtenay sighed, “Your Majesty, I know things may seem bleak at the moment, but I would not worry over it. You and Her Grace are both young and healthy enough for further children. You may have four daughters now, but I guarantee that Her Grace will yet be able to give you a son.”

Henry huffed, “For England’s sake, I hope that you are right.”

“I am,” Courtenay said breezily, “You know our mutual grandsire King Edward, though he had seven daughters, still had three sons. And had not the vile King Richard been around, our uncles would have grown to manhood. What is to say that you and Queen Katherine may not be the same?”

“I suppose,” Henry ventured, “But still, do you not think that we ought to have a son by now?”

Courtenay took a deep breath before answering, “Of course, Your Majesty. But it seems that God has willed it otherwise. That does not mean that you and Her Grace will not have a son some time in the future.”

Henry made a noise of distaste, “You have not much to say on this subject, do you? Well, I suppose there is not much more to be said. It is another daughter this time, but a son will surely follow.”

Last edited:
    XVI: January-February 1515
  • Greenwich Palace, January 1515

Catalina drummed her fingers against the chair in her privy chamber, glancing expectantly at the door every few moments. She dreaded this aspect of her position, as she was not a born disciplinarian. But still Catalina performed the role to perfection, as anyone who knew her knew that she would rather die than fail to live up to what was expected of her as queen.

Finally the door to the chamber opened and in stepped Lady Margaret Bryan, for once sans any of Catalina’s daughters. Margaret was a tall, plain, chestnut haired woman, not an attractive woman but not unpleasant to look at either.

“Your Grace,” Lady Bryan said, bowing in greeting to her queen.

Catalina smiled in greeting, “I must thank you for coming, Lady Bryan. I know that you are loath to be torn away from the nursery but this matter is urgent and...it concerns your daughter.”

Lady Bryan’s expression grew sour, “My daughter? Elizabeth? Your Grace, has she displeased you in some way?”

“Not strictly,” said Catalina, “But her behavior as of late is concerning. Particularly her behavior towards His Grace of Suffolk. She seems to be eliciting and encouraging his attentions in a way unbefitting of a Queen’s attendant and a noble, virginal lady.”

“God’s toes!” Lady Bryan said, looking somewhat horrified, “His Grace is betrothed, to Lady Lisle. What would you have be done, Your Grace?”

Catalina pressed her lips together, “You must remind her of the Duke’s engagement. Remind her of how her behavior will affect her future prospects. Remind her that she can never be anything more than a bedfellow to him, and that she is certainly worthy of more than that.”

Lady Bryan nodded in understanding, “Of course, Your Grace. I cannot believe that she is behaving in such a manner. Please, allow me to speak with her here, in your presence. I want her to understand the importance of this.”

“I will summon her now,” said Catalina. She rose and walked over to the door.

“Please fetch Mistress Bryan,” she said quietly to one of the ushers standing outside, then closed the door and returned to her chair.

Just a moment later, there appeared in the door Mistress Elizabeth Bryan. Elizabeth was newly 16, had her mother’s height and dark hair, and was of a charming, open, flirtatious nature. Catalina had been happy to accept her into her household, but this incident with the Duke of Suffolk was almost enough to make her rethink her decision.

“Your Grace,” Elizabeth said demurely, bowing to Catalina before turning to her mother.

“What is the meaning of this?” she said, her brow furrowed in consternation.

“Her Grace has concerns about your behavior towards the Duke of Suffolk,” replied Lady Bryan softly.

“Your lady mother speaks the truth,” Catalina said sharply, “Mistress Bryan, are you aware that His Grace of Suffolk is betrothed to Lady Lisle?”

“I am,” Elizabeth replied, with no small amount of curtness.

“Then what explanation do you provide for your closeness with him as of late?” Catalina demanded, “Surely you must see how this could damage your future prospects for marriage.”

Elizabeth shrugged, “His Grace enjoys playing the gallant. I am quite happy to go along with it, Your Grace, as I see no harm in it.”

“You should,” Catalina snapped, “And I would have you note as well that the Duke may not view it as you do. He may view the attachment as something more. Mistress Bryan, I must advise you to avoid Lord Suffolk for the time being.”

“But I enjoy his company,” Elizabeth said plainly, “I must disassociate myself entirely from him?”

Catalina nodded stiffly, “If you do not wish to ruin your future, you must.”

Elizabeth gave a soft sigh, as if at once bored and exasperated, “I see, Your Grace. I will avoid him. And I thank you for your counsel.”

“I am glad you are seeing sense,” Lady Bryan said, taking her daughter’s hand in her own, “You will not regret this, Bess.”

Hôtel des Tournelles, January 1515

Mary leaned against the cold glass of the window sill, watching as the physicians hurried through the courtyard, which swirled with snow flurries. She knew that Louis’s gout was getting worse - he had not bedded her since before Christmas, and she had seen little of him otherwise. The thought that he could soon be dead was both exhilirating and terrifying. She would be free of this union which she had resented from the beginning, but she would be thrown into limbo, at least until she married again.

Madame, would you like some pear?” one of Mary’s ladies, a short, buxom girl with fair hair and dark eyes, asked, holding a bowl of the fruit towards her mistress.

“No thank you, Mademoiselle Boulin,” Mary answered. She found herself far too nervous lately to eat much of anything.

As Mademoiselle Boulin rejoined the rest of Mary’s ladies, who were sitting about embroidering, Mary thought again of Louis. She did not love him, and she did not want to be married to him, but he was a kind and indulgent husband. Indeed, it seemed that he was infatuated with her. Perhaps she should go to see him. Just because he did not ask for her, did not mean that he did not wish to see her.

Deciding that she would go to see her husband, Mary rose and left. She made her way quickly to Louis’s apartments. Standing at the door was one of Louis’s gentlemen, a tall, sturdy, and attractive man with dark hair and piercing blue eyes. Mary found herself focusing on the man’s lips, which were full and deep pink.

“Your Majesty,” the gentleman said, bowing.

“I wish to see my husband,” Mary declared, managing to draw her attention away from the way in which man’s eyes rested on her bosom, and the desire she had to feel his strong arms embrace her.

The gentleman shook his head, “His Majesty gave orders that you were not to enter. I am sorry, Your Majesty.”

Mary frowned, “I do not care. I am the Queen, I am your Queen, and I demand that you let me in.”

“My lady-” the attractive gentleman began, but he got out only two syllables before Mary breezed past him and through the doors to Louis’s chambers.

The first thing that she noticed was a horrific smell. She could only assume that it was the poltices used to soothe Louis’s aching joints. She swept through his audience and presence chambers and then to his privy chamber. Mary opened the door and the sight before her almost broke her heart.

Louis was reclined on his bed, swollen legs out in front of him wrapped in wet bandages (wet due to a poltice, which was clearly the source of the smell). His face was grimaced in pain, and he looked deathly pale. A few physicians hummed around the edges of the room, their presence a reminder to Mary that Louis’s health was far more than the health of a man. It was the health of a king.

“Louis,” Mary said quietly, stepping forward into the room.

The King raised his head a bit and an amused look came to his face, “Ah, of course, ma belle Anglaise. Somehow I knew that you would not heed poor Guillaume.”

Mary flushed a bit, “My lord, I could not bear not knowing how you were fairing.”

Louis smiled wanly, “Indeed. I had hoped you would not have to see me like this. I know I am old and weak. But with you…”

“I know,” said Mary, walking over to Louis’s side and taking his hand in her own, “You felt that I would be disgusted. That I would not let you touch me.”

Louis sighed heavily, “You should’ve had a younger man. A man more worthy of your youth and beauty. But I...I needed a son. And you seemed like the woman to give me one.”

“I wish I could’ve given you a son,” Mary admitted, “You have been such a good husband to me, you surely deserve it.”

“But you are not happy,” Louis said, reaching out and touching Mary’s cheek, “Are you? I am sorry for that. Just promise me, Marie, that you will think fondly of me, after I am gone.”

“I will,” Mary replied, before leaning down to give Louis a kiss on his cheek.

Richmond Palace, January 1515

Henry studied Katherine as she sat next to him in his privy chamber. He found himself surprised by how plump she had grown, and how wane her face now seemed. Of course, she had only recently been churched following the birth of little Margaret, their youngest daughter. Perhaps once she fully recovered from Margaret’s birth, she would come to look and feel more like herself, like the beautiful, vibrant, seductive young Spanish princess Henry had married four and a half years ago.

“How are our daughters?” Henry asked, by way of beginning the conversation. Elizabeth, Mary, Katherine, and baby Margaret had been left at Greenwich while their parents went to spend Candlemas at Richmond and he knew that it would be difficult for Katherine to be away from the girls - especially Margaret, who was barely a month old.

“They are well,” Katherine answered, a noticeable chill in her voice.

Henry nodded but said nothing else. How strange it was, that Katherine had come to his chamber and demanded to speak with him in private yet she seemed unwilling or unable to say much. Her dark blue eyes stayed fixed on the tapestry that hung above the fireplace, a depiction of the Rape of Europa.

Henry sighed and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees, “Is there something bothering you, Catlin?”

Katherine looked at him then for the first time, and he could sense an anger smoldering in her, “My lord...I beg that you do not ask me that question. For there is a terribly important matter that has come to my attention and…” She cut herself off, turning away from Henry to look at the tapestry again.

“If there is something that you must tell,” Henry ventured, shifting in his chair, “Please, tell me. I am your husband.”

Finally, Katherine turned towards Henry, her eyes flashing with anger, “Charles Brandon has impregnated one of my maids!”

Henry opened his mouth as if to say something, and then closed it. Brandon had gotten one of Katherine’s women pregnant? Well, he could not say that he was surprised. The man enjoyed female company and did not presently have a wife, so it only sense that he would seek release with young ladies of the court.

“Who was it?” Henry asked, standing up from his chair and beginning to pace.

“Elizabeth Bryan,” answered Katherine, “Not a week ago, the girl swore to me that their relationship was chaste. And then this morning, the mother of the maids comes to me and says that Mistress Bryan has not bled this month or the last. A midwife was called for and...she is almost certainly with child. She says it could only be Brandon’s.”

Henry exhaled, “What would you have me do? You must send Mistress Bryan away, to have her bear her bastard in seclusion, away from court. Perhaps replace your mother of the maids, since she has clearly failed in her duties.”

“I would have you speak with Brandon,” Katherine said, the expression on her face hinting at her frustration, “Tell him that he may cavort with as many serving girls as his heart desires, but not my noble maids. And what of Mistress Bryan’s honor? She may bear her child away from court, yes, but what worthy man would have her after?”

Henry bristled at this, “What do you mean? You mean to say…”

“If it were to me, I would have her and Brandon wed,” Katherine said plainly, “As soon as possible. Lady Lisle will not suffer for it, and perhaps she may find an even grander husband.”

Henry considered this. Certainly it would help preserve both Elizabeth Bryan’s reputation and, in a way, Katherine’s. Also, he knew that Brandon was growing weary of waiting for Lady Lisle to reach a suitable age for matrimony. And Mistress Bryan was a beautiful, charming girl. In fact, Henry had thought more than once of taking her to his own bed during Katherine’s last pregnancy. Overall, it seemed that Brandon would have little reason to object to the match.

“Very well,” Henry said finally, “I will speak with Brandon and Sir Thomas Bryan and see that it is done. But you will replace your mother of the maids who allowed this to happen.”

A look of relief passed over Katherine’s face, “Thank you, my lord.”

Hôtel de Clugny, February 1515

“His Majesty, The King,” Mary’s herald declared. Into her audience chamber, which was filled to the brim with ladies in white, the traditional color of mourning in France, stepped the new King of France, formerly François d’Angoulême. François was married to Mary’s step-daughter Claude, and Mary would be lying if she said that she wasn’t somewhat jealous of the younger girl. François was a tall, dark haired man, athletic and muscular in build, with sparkling dark eyes and a winning smile. Not that poor Claude had much chance to appreciate her husband - François seemed determined to forget that he was married at all, save for when he was trying to impregnate his wife.

Votre Majesté,” Mary said, rising and bowing to François.

François then bowed in return and smiled, “Votre Majesté, it is such a pleasure to see you again. May I trust that your confinement is going well?” Mary had entered into confinement after Louis’s death back in mid-January, in order to ascertain whether she was with child. She had not yet received her courses, but she knew that they were coming - the timing simply did not line up for her to be pregnant with Louis’s child.

“It is going quite well. Though I must admit that I have been rather...lonely,” said Mary, flashing François a coy smile.

François smirked, “That is a shame. But I assure you, you will not be so lonely for much longer, madame. For I have arranged a marriage for you with the young Duke of Lorraine.”

“Oh?” Mary asked in surprise, “What does my brother say of the match? Does he object to it?”

“I need not seek the English king’s permission,” François said with a dismissive wave of his hand, “As your late husband’s successor, your remarriage is my prerogative.”

“I see,” Mary said quietly, “So...when is my wedding to the Duke to take place?”

“As soon as you are out of mourning,” answered François somewhat brusquely, “His Grace is eager to take a wife, especially one as young and lovely as you, Marie.”

Despite herself, Mary flushed a bit, especially at François’s use of her given name, “I am glad to hear that. I hope that I do not displease the Duke.”

“I am sure that he will count himself among the luckiest men in Christendom to have you by his side,” François said, unexpectedly taking Mary’s hand and pressing a kiss to it. Mary’s breath caught in her throat as his lips touched her skin, and even as François drew away her body seemed to be humming with energy. Yes, indeed, it was very good that she was getting married again so soon. For who knows what would happen if she were allowed to remain at François’s court…

Last edited:
    XVII: April-October 1515
  • Stirling, March 1515

Nine-day old Henry Stuart, Duke of Ross squinted up at his mother as Margaret leaned over his cradle, the same richly carved one which her grandmother had sent to her on the occasion of the birth of her first short-lived son, almost eight years ago now.

“Hello, my sweet Harry,” Margaret cooed as she scooped the infant up. Henry just continued to stare at her, much like his older brother had barely a year previously. Margaret could not say that she was thrilled about having fallen pregnant again so soon after Alexander’s birth, but she was undoubtedly pleased to have given James another healthy son. Alexander, of course, had not met his brother yet. He was not a gentle child, being not even a year old, and newborns like Henry were delicate.

“Ah, you are tired from yesterday’s events?” Margaret said with a little chuckle as Henry gave a wide yawn. Henry had been christened the previous day, with the King of England as one of his godfathers. As a gift, Margaret’s younger brother had sent his nephew and namesake an extravagant gold chalice and a beautifully illuminated book of hours. Margaret thought the gifts were lovely, even if Henry couldn’t appreciate them yet.

Suddenly, Margaret herald’s entered the room, “His Majesty, The King.” James swept in a moment later, looking somewhat peeved. Margaret smiled sweetly at her husband and handed little Henry off to a nursemaid before sinking into a curtsey.

“My lord,” she greeted him, “To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”

“What, a man cannot visit his wife and newborn child?” James said, his irritated expression melting a little before he lapsed into silence, “Ah, you are too smart, Meg, to be fooled by that. I have received a proposition that I must discuss with you…in private.” He eyed her ladies, some of whom were English, and Margaret began to worry that this may have something to do with his alliance with her brother.

“Leave us, please,” Margaret said, and her attendants filed dutifully out of the room, the nursemaid placing Henry back in his cradle.

“He really is very…Tudor, is he not?” James said once they were alone, strolling over and picking up his son, “I have no doubt this lad will prove to have your coloring.”

“That he might,” Margaret said quietly. Her mind raced with all the possibilities of what James needed to discuss with her and she wished he would just get on with it, however much he wished to indulge his love for his new son.

“You seem anxious,” James commented as he pacing with Henry still in his arms, “Meg, you need not worry over what I have to say, truly. But it is necessary to discuss. I was approached by the new French ambassador the other day. Apparently my cousin has convinced King François that we can be bought out of our alliance with England for the right price.”

“Truly?” Margaret asked, raising an eyebrow, “But we have just signed the treaty with the English, and Alexander is betrothed to Lady Mary.”

“Indeed,” James replied, “Which is why I told the French ambassador that I am not likely to take his offer. But you should know that the French are proposing a betrothal of their own for Alexander - to Queen Claude’s younger sister, Madame Renée.”

Margaret’s eyes widened a bit in surprise, “Madame Renée…is she not a potential heiress of Brittany? The French must want this terribly.”

James nodded, “Yes, they do want this. I cannot say which offer is the better, though. François proposes to give us his wife’s sister, but Henry would give us his own daughter.”

“You must take my brother’s offer,” Margaret said firmly, “It would be a grave insult for us to abandon him after things have so recently been improved between us. And if things are well with England, then there is no need for the French to alliance.”

James studied her with a strangely appreciative look, “I suppose you are right, Meg. But still, I must consider things more before I tell the French ‘no’ for sure.”

Margaret nodded but said nothing more. She had said her piece in defense of maintaining good relations with England, now all that was to be done was for James to listen to her instead of the Duke of Albany and the French ambassador…

Amboise, June 1515

“Did any of you see the Duke?” Mary asked with all the excitement expected of a teenage bride as her maid pinned her hood in place. She was not going to Antoine, Duke of Lorraine as a virgin, and so her hair was to be covered for the wedding. Not that Mary cared one way or the other - all she could think about was the fact that Duke Antoine had arrived at the Château d’Amboise earlier that day and that, in less than two hours, they would be husband and wife.

Giggles erupted through her ladies, a gaggle of French noblewomen and girls mostly around Mary’s own age.

“I did see him, but only from the back so all I saw was that he has dark hair,” one of them volunteered.

“He was very tall and well built,” another added.

“His face had a kind look to it,” said yet a third, “I could not tell what color his eyes were though.”

Mary’s heart thundered in her chest, “Well, tall and dark haired...are you quite sure that you did not see His Majesty?”

“No,” giggled Mary Boleyn, one of Mary’s few English ladies who was still with her, “The King was right there to greet him. It had to be the Duke!”

“Oh,” Mary exhaled in relief, “That is good. I must say, I think that I will find him attractive enough. I just hope that he treats me well.”

Just then, the King’s page was announced - it was time for Mary’s wedding. The last pins of her hood now in place, she gave herself a quick study in the mirror. Satisfied with the way that she looked in her new gown of light blue-grey silk with white ermine lined sleeves, she turned and nodded to King François’s page. She was ready, or at least as ready as she could be. What would it be like, being married to Antoine of Lorraine? Would he be as kind as Louis had been? Would he be a gentle lover? Would he make Mary send away the last of her English-born attendants? She could only guess at the answer to these questions and so many more...

Mary felt like she was floating as she and her ladies processed down to the royal chapel. There were to be English dignitaries present, of course, and the King and Queen would be there as well. And then, there was Antoine. Antoine whom she had never even laid eyes on before. Antoine who would be her husband within the hour. The mere thought made Mary’s stomach churn with nervous anticipation and not a small amount of fear.

Finally, she arrived at the doors to the chapel. Mary took a deep breath as they opened and she stepped forward. Her heart nearly stopped when she finally saw Antoine, standing by the altar. He did indeed resemble the King, and Mary wracked her brain trying to remember if they were related and could vaguely recall hearing that their grandmothers were sisters. At any rate, Antoine was shorter and huskier than François, an impression which was only highlighted by the bulkiness of the doublet that he wore. Overall, Mary could not admit herself to be displeased with his appearance.

Antoine took her hand when she reached him, leading her forward to kneel with him before the altar while mass was said. Mary couldn’t help but notice that his hands were large and calloused from bow use - she guessed that he enjoyed hunting, which was something of a relief. Some of Mary’s fondest memories were of hunting with her brother Henry, but Louis had been far too weak for it himself during he and Mary’s brief marriage. At least now she knew that she and her new husband had something in common. As the final benediction was said, Mary and Antoine rose together.

“Hello, my wife,” Antoine whispered in a deep voice before leaning in and pressing a kiss to Mary’s cheek.

“Hello, husband,” Mary said, blushing despite herself as she kissed Antoine’s cheek in return.

Nancy, September 1515

Mary rested her head on Antoine’s chest, savoring the feeling of happiness and contentment that came from laying with him like this. They had stolen away from their hunting party and gone off to a meadow together - it wasn’t the first time that they had done so either and, God willing, it wouldn’t be the last.

After another moment, Mary let out a sigh and sat up, readjusting her petticoat and grabbing her gown.

“If only my mama could see me,” she said wryly as she brushed some grass off of her gown, “You have turned me into such an...undignified woman.”

Antoine let out a snort of laughter, “Me? As I recall, the first time that we did this it was your idea.”

“Ah, but as I recall you went along with it happily,” Mary retorted, flashing a teasing smile at her husband.

“I did,” Antoine conceded, “But only because I was slightly frightened of you, ma chère.”

The two then drifted into a comfortable silence, and Mary felt herself hit by a pang of sadness. For there was a reason that she and Antoine had stolen away in the middle of hunting to have sex in a meadow. He was leaving tomorrow. For war. The French king was mounting a new campaign in Italy and Antoine was to be part of it.

“Are you sure that you must go?” Mary ventured after a moment, studying Antoine as he lay on his back, looking up at the clouds. His eyes, she had decided, were a dark blue-grey, like the sky right before a thunderstorm.

Antoine just nodded, “I must. Would you really have me go back on my word to King François? Is that the kind of man that you wish to have for a husband?”

“No,” Mary said defensively, “But war is dangerous, Antoine.”

“War is dangerous? I had no idea…” the duke replied sarcastically.

Mary waved her hand, “You know what I mean. I do not want you to be hurt. Especially since…” Her voice trailed off and she wondered if Antoine would catch the implication. Surprisingly, he looked over at her with wide eyes.

“Truly?” he said, “But we have just lied together!”

Mary blushed, “Well I...I am still not absolutely certain about it. I believe I should wait another month before being sure. But I did not want you to go off without knowing...”

“Oh, what does it matter,” Antoine said, his excitement audible in his voice, “Marie, this is the most glorious news, the most marvelous thing that I could know!”

Mary grinned, “I am delighted to hear that, my husband. But you must realize this means that you can’t have me in your bed...or anywhere else.”

“I don’t care,” Antoine said insistently, reaching over and placing a hand on Mary’s abdomen, “You are carrying our child...our child.”

“Yes,” Mary said, her heart beginning to race as she realized for the first time the magnitude of what was about to happen, “I am indeed.”

Greenwich, October 1515

“What does it say, Your Grace?” the Countess of Essex asked Catalina as she sat down the letter that had come from her sister María in Portugal. Catalina glanced up at the countess and sighed.

“María is not well...her...her son was stillborn.” The words came out of Catalina’s mouth uneasily. How terrible was it that she was relieved when she had read those words? She would never admit as much to anyone, of course, but all the same - María had five healthy sons already, the first of whom had been born not even two years into her marriage, while Catalina, after well over five years of marriage, had yet to bear a single son. It seemed only fair that María should lose one of her sons.

Murmurs of sympathy erupted through Catalina’s ladies, more than one of whom had experienced a stillbirth themselves. Catalina rose slowly from her chair, walking over instead to stand by the window, her thoughts still racing. Why was it that María and her husband, King Manuel of Portugal, deserved such a bounty of boys but Catalina kept giving Henry daughter after daughter? The Lord gives what the Lord gives, Catalina reminded herself. There was no sense in asking such questions. Besides, she was due to give birth again in February and surely then she would give Henry the son whom they had so long awaited. Four girls was nothing unheard - Catalina’s own mother had borne four daughters.

“Doña Catalina,” María de Salinas interrupted Catalina’s worried thoughts, “I am sorry to hear the news of your sister’s child. You always speak so well of Doña María.”

“Thank you for your sympathy, María,” Catalina said, reaching over and giving her friend’s hand an appreciative squeeze, “I just cannot understand why God would do this…”

“His ways are not always to be understood by us,” came María’s response.

Catalina sighed at the vacuous platitude, “My heart knows that. But still, I wonder why God would give…what have I done, María?”

A confused look passed over María’s face, “What do you mean, Your Grace? How could you have anything to do with what has happened to your sister?”

“In truth, I do not,” Catalina said, her shoulders slumping a bit, “But still, María…” Catalina lowered her voice here, “I was glad that her child was stillborn. After her many years of successes, with five living sons and three daughters besides, she knows some of my pain. Can you imagine a worse thing? I regretted the thought as soon as it crossed my mind.”

“Oh, señora,” María embraced Catalina somewhat hesitantly, “I am sure that your sister would understand that you did not wish that for her in earnest. That you are only a human, as fallible and prideful as any of us. She would not wish you to feel so terribly about yourself, especially in your condition.”

Gracias, María, you are a true friend,” Catalina said, managing a small smile, “Now please, go busy yourself. Perhaps you should work on your trousseau - Lord Willoughby will expect his bride to be properly outfitted when she comes to him.”

“Of course, señora,” María blushed furiously at the mention of her fiancé, William Willoughby, Baron Willoughby de Eresby, before scuttling away to work on the blackwork embroidery on the shifts that she would be taking with her. The thought of her dear friend marrying and thus leaving her household was not pleasant to Catalina, but Lord Willoughby was a good man and he and María made each other quite happy.

That made Catalina think of her and Henry - he was so distant, and she knew he was sleeping with other women since she was pregnant. He wrote often though when they were not together, mostly asking after her health. She knew that he was expecting a son this time, refusing to even consider the possibility that Catalina might be carrying another girl. Ever since she had quickened, he had been making preparations for the birth of his heir. There would be a tournament, of course, and he had ordered a special font for the christening and organized a series of masques for the banquet that would follow. There would be money distributed and fountains of wine throughout London, for Henry was determined for his subjects to be as delighted over the arrival of his son as he was. He referred to the child in Catalina’s womb as ‘Prince Hal’ and ‘my prince’, and when he felt the baby kick he remarked loudly that the boy would surely come out of the womb wielding a lance. Catalina had seen as well the birth announcement that had been pre-written at Henry’s order, announcing the birth of a healthy and beautiful Prince of Wales. Yet still she was filled with dread over the one simple question: what if the child wasn’t a boy?

Last edited:
    XVIII: September 1515-November 1515
  • Southwark, September 1515

Henry watched intently as the procession advanced down the nave of the church of St. George the Martyr. The baptism of little Henry Brandon was turning out to be quite a grand affair. The chancel and porch of the church were hung in tapestries of scarlet and cloth of gold. Outside, the route to the church had been strewn with fragrant rushes and was lined with torchbearers. Henry wanted to be as happy and proud on this day as he should be as the boy’s godfather but he could not ignore the rising feeling of bitterness in him. Brandon had gotten a woman pregnant out of wedlock - a woman of the Queen’s household, no less - and now had a fully legitimate son for his troubles. Henry had been dutifully married to Katherine for six years and still she had not given him a son.

Of course, there were other stresses too. Parliament had dared to bulk at new taxes that Henry asked for, and reports said that the French were probably going to resume the war in Italy again soon. That damned Francis would surely march his Swiss mercenaries right into over the Alps and launch everything into chaos. Henry couldn’t say that he was looking forward to getting involved in it, but perhaps it would be nice to get the better of this new king of France…a man who, if reports were right, rivaled Henry for courtliness and athleticism.

It was then that the young man of the hour, Henry’s new godson, arrived at the chancel in the arms of one Mistress Dorothy Verney, Duchess Elizabeth’s old nurse. Henry also couldn’t help but notice Lady Anne Shelton and Lady Elizabeth Grey, the representatives of his wife and eldest daughter, respectively, sitting on the pew right behind where she stood. Katherine and Elizabeth had been selected as young Henry’s godmothers, but Katherine had declined to attend, pleading pregnancy, while Elizabeth had been excused on the basis of her age.

Mistress Verney handed her little charge to Henry, who couldn’t help but smile down at the lad. He was a perfectly lovely child in every way, chubby and placid with a coloring that indicated good health. His eyes were closed but he had lifted his hand to his mouth and was sucking on it intently.

“Pray God that you may grow as a companion to our Prince of Wales,” Henry whispered to the boy before stepping over to the chrism with him. His heart ached as he did so, for he wondered if Brandon would ever get to do the same for his son.

Eastern France, November 1515

“You fool!” Mary cried as she flung open the doors to the tent that was serving as Antoine’s sick room.

“Ah, my loving wife,” Antoine said from his bed when he saw her, an amused smile playing at his lips.

Mary frowned, “Is that all you have to say for yourself? You get shot in the thigh with an arrow and I am not told of it until you are halfway back to Nancy and that is all you have to say!?”

Antoine sighed heavily, “It was in the shin and ma chère, I did it only out of love. I did not want you to worry, in your condition. You need to stay safe and warm and healthy so you can focus on growing our baby.”

“All I did was worry!” Mary said, her indignation clearly present in her voice, “My husband, the father of my unborn child, was at war! Then I heard that you were injured and I…I had to see you as soon as I could!” To her annoyance, her eyes were starting to tear up. That happened quite a bit lately.

“Come, sit with me. Keep me company. Rest. I am sure you are tired, after your travels,” Antoine patted the spot next to him on the bed and Mary reluctantly sat down, stretching herself out. She had to admit that it was nice to lay next to her husband again after several months. As well, she had been craving a man’s touch as of late and the feeling of Antoine gently caressing her shoulder was undeniably pleasant. Not a small part of her wished for him to touch certain other, more intimate places on her body, but she shoved those feelings aside.

“I cannot stay long,” began Mary after a moment, “Your mother was horrified when I told her that I was leaving and I fear that she will have my head for endangering her grandchild if I do not return by the end of the week.”

Antoine chuckled, “Ah yes, she can be quite a…demanding woman. I’ll see to it that you are back to her as soon as possible but Marie, I would like for you to travel with me. You can see some more of our duchy and I think the fresh fall air will do you some good.”

“I would travel with you and your men?” Mary asked, somewhat incredulous, “I will do it. After all, the people of Lorraine should have a chance to see their duchess.”

“I am glad to hear that,” Antoine smiled, pulling Mary in closer to him and pressing a kiss to her forehead, "I have to wonder though...what are you, you woman who leaves the safety of her home to go searching for her husband at war while she is pregnant, going to be like as a mother?"

"Not dull," Mary said with a grin and Antoine laughed. All was well.

Last edited:
    XIX: December 1515-February 1516
  • Richmond, December 1515

The main hall of Richmond Palace was aglow with warmth - both from the many candles lit throughout and the number of people gathered within. The smell of mulling wine and baking pies drifting up from the kitchens only added to the impression, as did the boughs of greenery set about on the tables and the windowsills. Henry loved it, as he had always loved Christmas. It reminded him of his mother and the Yuletide celebrations of his childhood. Next to him, Katherine was looking a little worn but still in good spirits as she peeled an orange and laughed at something that Lady Margaret Pole said.

Henry took a generous sip of wine from his goblet and sat it down, “My lady, you are not overindulging yourself, I hope?”

Katherine turned her head and smiled widely at him, resting a hand on her seven months pregnant stomach, “No, my lord. I am perfectly content.”

“Good,” Henry said before going back for another drink of wine. He hated that Katherine was pregnant, for he was struck now with a great desire to take her in his arms and show her how much he appreciated having her as his wife, especially knowing that she was now carrying his son. He glanced over at her - she had finished peeling her orange and plopped a section into her mouth.

“I am going to join the dancers - would you care to accompany me?” Henry asked, extending his hand to Katherine. They had not danced together all evening and no doubt the court would think that was strange, though perhaps they would credit it to the Queen’s advanced pregnancy.

Katherine chewed on her orange section thoughtfully, “I think not, husband. I am feeling very tired this evening so if it is all the same to you, I shall stay here.”

“Very well,” Henry huffed, “I will see you later.”

He took one last long drink from his goblet of wine before walking over to the section of the floor that had been cleared for dancing. The musicians were beginning a gavotte, and Henry found himself paired with a willowy young woman with light blonde hair tucked underneath a dark hood. He guessed from the richness of her dress that she was one of his wife’s household, for Katherine was particularly generous in attiring her ladies around Christmas.

“Your gown is most becoming” Henry ventured as they took their place in the circle and the dance began.

The young woman glanced over at him and Henry could not help but notice the delicate curve of her reddened lips, “Who says so?”

“Nevermind who says it,” Henry replied, surprised but not entirely displeased that she did not recognize him, “But answer me something if you will, you are one of the Queen’s ladies, yes?”

“I am,” answered the young woman, “But I don’t give my name to men whose names I do not know myself.”

Henry chuckled, “A wise choice, madam. You may have my name, it is…Harry.”

“Just Harry?” a bemused expression came over her face, “I have not met a young man here yet whose Christian name was not succeeded by a surname of ancient lineage and any number of titles and positions. And your clothing is far too grand for you to be lacking in title and position yourself.”

“You play this game well for one so young,” Henry said quietly, admiring the young woman’s forthrightness.

She then smiled, which proved to be a dazzling sight, “Well, Harry, there are a number of things that I do well for one so young. You may yet learn what they are…”

Just then, the dance and the music came to a halt. The young woman who had provided such pleasant company for Henry bowed to him and he bowed back, as was only appropriate. He opened his mouth to say something but before he knew it the young woman was gone, lost in a group of other girls her age, all chattering and giggling. He glanced around quickly to see if he could find William Compton and located him at a nearby table.

“My lord,” Compton said when he saw Henry, standing and bowing, “It is a marvelous banquet that you and Her Grace have thrown this year. May I count that we have a roast boar yet to come?”

“We do indeed, Compton,” laughed Henry, “But there is something else on my mind at my moment.” He gave a glance over at Katherine, her stomach still swollen with his child and likely to remain so for at least two more months, and reminded himself that he had done this before.

“I need you to find someone for me,” Henry said, leaning in and speaking in a low voice so that only Compton could hear him, “It was the woman I was dancing with at the gavotte, the one in the soft orange dress. She is one of my wife’s ladies.”

Compton nodded in understanding, “I will find her name, Your Majesty, and be discreet about it. Was there anything else you desired to know of her?”

Henry considered for a moment and knew that there was no use denying, at least with Compton, what his intentions were, “Have her come to my chambers tomorrow evening, alone. See to it that the Queen is not made aware.”

Greenwich, January 1516

“Intriguing,” Bessie Blount said with a wicked smile as the King placed his rook down on the black square.

The King - or Harry, as Bessie still thought of him - raised an eyebrow, “I hardly think my placing a rook is worthy of comment.”

Bessie laughed, “Oh, this coming from the man who would not stop going ‘hmm’ during my last turn.”

This made the King laugh in turn and Bessie’s heart soared. She could hardly believe her good fortune in having captured this man’s attention - and his bed. Since their meeting at Christmas, he had summoned her every night but two and she had lain with him several other times besides. She could not say that she was in raptures of ecstasy after their couplings but she had enraptured him and that was all that mattered.

“I can’t help it if you inspire thoughtfulness in me,” the King said once the laughter had subsided.

“I inspire many things in you, don’t I?”

Bessie rose then, walking over and sliding herself onto the King’s lap, “The Queen is due to give birth soon, isn’t she?” Bessie still served as one of Queen Katherine’s ladies, but Her Grace had a large household and so not everyone entered into confinement with her.

The King nodded, “Yes, the midwife reports that she is probably less than three weeks away from delivering. My prince will be here very soon.”

“Good,” Bessie murmured, “I’m glad. But I…will I still see you, Your Majesty, after Her Grace is churched and you can return to her bed?”

The King opened his mouth as if to say something, and then shut it. His eyes stayed fixed to Bessie’s face, holding her in an intense gaze. She wondered if he was comparing her to his wife, to the Queen. Bessie wasn’t sure that such a comparison would necessarily come out in her favor - surely the Queen, though not as beautiful as she once was, was a more engaging companion for the King.

“I have never strayed while Katherine could have me,” he said finally, “I have taken women to my bed while she was pregnant, but since she gave birth to our first child I have always ceased after she was churched.”

Bessie pressed her lips together and nodded in understanding. So this would be it. The Queen would give birth to the Prince of Wales and she, Bessie, would be cast out of the King’s bed, to be nothing but a used up old whore. For who would have a girl who had willingly corrupted her virtue as she had?

“Do not be sad,” the King said, reaching over and taking Bessie’s face in his hands - his fingers swiped under Bessie’s eyes and she realized that she had started crying, “I will ensure that you are at the least settled comfortably with a man who treats you well.”

For a few moments, neither of them spoke. They sat there, Bessie’s mind racing as she stared at the chessboard. She was so foolish to have believed that the King would not abandon her. She was foolish for having given in so easily. This time it was she who at last broke the silence.

“Swear it.”

“What?”

“Swear it,” Bessie repeated, “On something…important, significant. I would never dream of asking for something from Your Majesty but I have given you everything that I have to offer. Please.”

Wordlessly, the King removed from one of his fingers a striking ring. It had a gold band emblazoned with white roses, and at its center was a stunning opal.

“This ring was crafted for my grandfather, King Edward IV,” he began, “He intended to present it to my grandmother, his wife, but he died before he could do so. My grandmother received it only after the usurper King Richard was overthrown and she immediately gave it to my mother, as a reminder of whose daughter she was. My mother then gave it to me.”

With that, he pressed the ring in Bessie’s soft palm. She looked up at the King, aghast, even as her fingers curled around it.

“This is too much,” she said softly.

“No,” replied the King, “It’s not too much for a man to keep to his word.”

Greenwich, February 1516

Henry was alone in his privy chamber, kneeling at his prie dieu, when he heard the door open behind him followed by a distinctive rustling of fabric. He hardly needed to turn around before he knew that it was Wolsey, who had recently been appointed a cardinal due to Henry’s machinations.

“Speak,” Henry said, in no mood for pleasantries.

“The Queen has given birth,” Wolsey began, “She and the child are both well. She requests that you come and visit them.”

Henry considered this for a moment. No indication had yet been given that he had his son, but surely Katherine couldn’t have given him another girl. Surely not. It had to be a boy this time.

“And its sex?” Henry asked, steeling himself for the answer.

Wolsey’s previously very placid expression slipped a bit and Henry further prepared himself for what was to come, “I am sorry, Your Majesty, but Her Grace has borne a daughter.”

Henry turned away swiftly from his chancellor. How could this have happened? He had been praying almost ceaselessly since Katherine had quickened that she was carrying his Prince of Wales. Praying that his kingdom would be delivered the blessing of a legitimate male heir. And yet it seemed the Lord had spurned him, one of His anointed, yet again. Henry gave a deep sigh and turned back around to face Wolsey, a stony expression fixed on his face.

“Cancel the tournament. Have someone tell Katherine that the child is to be called Anne.”

Last edited:
    XX: Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon Family Tree, c. February 1516
  • For reference, here are Henry and Katherine's girls so far:

Elizabeth - born March 1510
    Mary - born April 1511
    Katherine - born September 1513
    Margaret - born December 1514
    Anne - born February 1516