Six Roses, Red and White: A Tudor TL

How should I handle a rework of this timeline?

• Edit the posts on this thread

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Start a new thread

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
Wolsey doesn't appear as smart as he is presented in historiography to be. Quarrels over Italy had almost nothing to do with empty title that is HRE and having said empty title isn't really going to help Henry in stopping wars over Italy.
You make a good point, now that I think about it. My perception had always been that it was Wolsey who was behind Henry’s transformation into the broker of peace by the late 1510s, and this was just an extension of that. I’ll consider changing this though.

You make a good point, now that I think about it. My perception had always been that it was Wolsey who was behind Henry’s transformation into the broker of peace by the late 1510s, and this was just an extension of that. I’ll consider changing this though.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily remove it if I were you, but if Wolsey really was as smart as he was credited with that words should've been just trying to prey on Henry's ego trip than serious political plan.

XXIV: November 1516, Pt. II
Richmond, November 1516

Henry can’t say that he is surprised when one of his ushers announces the arrival of the Cardinal of York early on a Tuesday afternoon. It has been several days since the news reached him about the election, and it is nothing short of a wonder that Wolsey hasn’t paid him a visit sooner.

“Your Majesty,” Wolsey says, bowing as he steps into Henry’s privy chambers, his red robes billowing around him.

“Your Eminence,” Henry responds, nodding his head in greeting.

Wolsey gives a gesture to the man who had accompanied him and he leaves, leaving the cardinal and the king alone in the room.

“I suppose you know why I’m here,” Wolsey begins, “For you have heard the news yourself.” There are few who can address His Majesty so directly, but the Cardinal is certainly foremost among them.

Henry nods curtly, “I have. And I must say, I am disappointed. Were your words about my place in Christendom truly that empty?”

Wolsey gives a wave of his hand, “Your Majesty, I will not pretend that the Imperial position is anything more than empty honors at this point. And it was clear that the Habsburgs would get it with their Fugger money.”

“Then why even suggest it?” Henry says, anger creasing his brow, “It was a waste!”

“No, it wasn’t,” the cardinal explains, his voice remaining calm, “For my words about England’s place in Christendom were not unfounded. I believe you can be a great prince and a peacemaker among men, my lord. You must be. And now you believe it too.”

Henry is silent for quite a few moments as his chancellor’s words sink in. Of course England is one of Christendom’s greatest kingdoms. That much has always been evident to Henry. Yet it had been relegated to the role of a minor player in most of the Continent’s great affairs, apart from the wars with the French. He isn’t sure if he exactly shares Wolsey’s vision, but the idea of being lauded as the bringer of peace, the senior statesman and arbiter of Europe’s woes, is nothing short of tantalizing.

“So what,” Henry finally says, “You would have me negotiate peace between France, the Empire, and Spain?”

Wolsey smiles, clearly pleased that his king seems to be understanding the point of all this, “Yes, my lord, I would have you do so. And not just a peace treaty, but the peace treaty to secure tranquility for all time.”

Henry can’t help but snort derisively, “Oh yes, tranquility for all time. I’ll believe that when I see it.”

“It may be far-fetched but it is necessary. As I said, the Ottoman menace threatens and we must be united as Christians. England deserves her place at the center of it.”

“I agree,” Henry nods appreciatively, “I am not yet convinced that such a peace would last, especially where Italy is involved, but see to it that letters are sent to the Empire and Spain, and tell them that we would happily host their representatives in London to ratify terms of such a treaty.”

Wolsey bows dutifully, “As you wish, Your Majesty.” He leaves then, red robes trailing after him, and Henry feels more exhilarated about his kingship than he has in ages.

XXV: March 1517
Nancy, March 1517

Mary seats herself in the chair and lets out a heavy sigh. It’s not that she’s not happy to be pregnant again and have the chance to give Antoine a son and heir but the past few months - since Christmas, really - have been difficult. Exhaustion, accompanied by occasional nausea, has seen her spending most days in her privy chambers. Today, though, she’s had to emerge and clothe herself in her finest garb to welcome a new maid of honor, coming from the French court.

The door to her audience chamber opens and Mary’s chamberlain opens the door. Lady Guildford steps in accompanied by a short, slender girl who looks rather Mediterranean with her dark hair and tan skin. Lady Guildford bows and nudges the girl to do the same, but she is too late. The girl has already bowed, quite gracefully too.

Mary smiles at the sight, “And you must be Mademoiselle Anne. Welcome. I’m pleased to have another daughter of Master Boleyn in my household.”

Anne, who seems to be somewhere around her early teens in age, rises and nods, her gaze proud and direct, “Thank you, Your Grace. I’m happy to be here as well.”

“Well, I’m glad to hear that. Please, tell me, how many years do you have?”

“Ten, Your Grace.”

Mary is somewhat taken aback by that, “Oh, I did not think you were so young. You will find that most of my maids of honor are a bit older than you but I’m sure they will take to you. You have spent time at the court of the Archduchess Margaret as well, have you not?”

“Yes, Madame Marguerite was quite fond of me,” Anne flushes with pride as she gives her response, “I was very sad to leave her service and…I’m sorry, Your Grace, but I heard you have a baby daughter. May I meet her sometime?”

“I do have a daughter, yes,” for the second time Mary finds herself taken aback by young Mistress Anne, “Élisabeth will turn one next month. I can certainly arrange for you to spend some time in her nursery, if you wish.”

Anne beams, “Thank you, Your Grace.”

“Of course. I’m sure Élisabeth will enjoy being around you very much,” Mary says, giving the girl another smile. She isn’t sure what made him do it, but she is relieved beyond measure that Master Boleyn decided that he wanted his daughters serving in the same household.

Ohhh I hope Mary will end up being ok, though this pregnancy sounds like it's been rather rough for her, maybe the Boleyn sisters will be able to comfort her through this? Also, I really hope that neither them try to go for Antoine when they're older, I feel like Mary and Antoine have an almost perfect marriage. Lovely chapter!