Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chieftain and challenger tanks had a hatch in which you could dump spent shells through the belly of the tank, don’t know if this was in earlier British tanks
Cent had a circular shell hatch on the rear of the turret for loading shells (with out having to lift up to the top hatch) and for getting rid of empties

That got its origin from the Railroad.
Holding Grey and Black water for proper disposal was later than most think

Trust me.......still have some carriges that deposit directly onto the track here in uk.
We have to make it very clear to customers if they do happen to drop something on the track they probably don't really want it or should at very least sterilise it !!

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Trust me.......still have some carriges that deposit directly onto the track here in uk.
We have to make it very clear to customers if they do happen to drop something on the track they probably don't really want it or should at very least sterilise it !!

which is why

A) you are not supposed to flush in the station

B) some times you see toilet paper and other matter on the track

"Passengers will please refrain
From flushing toilets while the train
Is in the station. Darling, I love you!
We encourage constipation
While the train is in the station
Moonlight always makes me think of you."

Partial excerpt from a song written by Oscar Brand.
https://lyricstranslate.com

Last edited:
Has there been any discussion on what MGs have been used or will go into the tanks ITTL? Or are they kind of superfluous as a discussion point?

Not yet that i'm aware of, maybe the UK does not go and make an entirely new caliber of MG for its future tanks and keeps using the .303? After all there's mountains of ammo for it.

Not yet that i'm aware of, maybe the UK does not go and make an entirely new caliber of MG for its future tanks and keeps using the .303? After all there's mountains of ammo for it.
The BESA was a good choice as a Vickers replacement for AFVs and British industry was easily up to the task of making enough 7.92mm ammunition for the needs of the tank units.

Logistically machine gun ammo would be a tiny slice of a given armoured units supply needs (alongside, POL, main gun ammo, spares, food and water etc)

After all there never seemed to be an issue with US proprietary ammunition in British units.

Hello,

Just keep the .303, or when the Yanks get involved go "That .50cal..can you show us how to fit it into a tank please?" or shove a Bren gun in there instead of the older Vickers.

Just keep the .303, or when the Yanks get involved go "That .50cal..can you show us how to fit it into a tank please?" or shove a Bren gun in there instead of the older Vickers.
Keep the .303 what though? The reason usually given for choosing the BESA was that they wanted a belt fed air cooled modern machine gun, which does makes sense. But they didn’t have time to redesign it for .303 so left it in 8mm.
That just seems odd to me when BSA already were making the colt-browning in .303 for the RAF since 1935. Leave off the aircraft mods and that would have been a perfectly good Vickers replacement in tanks. I believe OTL the British army was using .30-06 brownings in vehicles into the seventies.

Keep the .303 what though? The reason usually given for choosing the BESA was that they wanted a belt fed air cooled modern machine gun, which does makes sense. But they didn’t have time to redesign it for .303 so left it in 8mm.
That just seems odd to me when BSA already were making the colt-browning in .303 for the RAF since 1935. Leave off the aircraft mods and that would have been a perfectly good Vickers replacement in tanks. I believe OTL the British army was using .30-06 brownings in vehicles into the seventies.
Aircraft machine guns are cooled with the assistance of a good deal of airflow, so a perfectly good gun in the air might overheat on a ground mounting. I don't know if that would be the case or not, but it's a possibility.

marathag

Banned
Aircraft machine guns are cooled with the assistance of a good deal of airflow, so a perfectly good gun in the air might overheat on a ground mounting. I don't know if that would be the case or not, but it's a possibility.
You can burn out air-cooled barrels easily with continuous fire on the ground, unless you go for sub 500rpm rates, or have quick change barrels
Easiest way is just fire in bursts.

Aircraft high rpm machinegun used by ground troops

Sooty

Banned
You can burn out air-cooled barrels easily with continuous fire on the ground, unless you go for sub 500rpm rates, or have quick change barrels
Easiest way is just fire in bursts.

Aircraft high rpm machinegun used by ground troops
The Long Range Desert Group was supplied with large numbers of the Vickers G.O. for use on its vehicles. They were used in single or custom built twin mountings. The Special Air Service adopted it for their hit and run tactics, mounting it in pairs on their jeeps. Over the years, it was assumed by some that the latter services took the phased-out VGO because they could obtain no other suitable machine guns but with its high rate of fire and low-friction locking design (which proved resistant to jams from sand), the LRDG and SAS found the G.O. markedly superior to either the .303 in (7.7 mm) water-cooled Vickers or the Bren gun.[1][5] In a similar manner, the Airborne Reconnaissance Squadron of the Reconnaissance Corps mounted the VGO on jeeps when they were attached to the 1st Airborne Division during Operation Market-Garden in September 1944. Royal Marine and Army Commandos used the VGO for infantry support/squad automatic weapon briefly around D-Day.

The Long Range Desert Group was supplied with large numbers of the Vickers G.O. for use on its vehicles. They were used in single or custom built twin mountings. The Special Air Service adopted it for their hit and run tactics, mounting it in pairs on their jeeps. Over the years, it was assumed by some that the latter services took the phased-out VGO because they could obtain no other suitable machine guns but with its high rate of fire and low-friction locking design (which proved resistant to jams from sand), the LRDG and SAS found the G.O. markedly superior to either the .303 in (7.7 mm) water-cooled Vickers or the Bren gun.[1][5] In a similar manner, the Airborne Reconnaissance Squadron of the Reconnaissance Corps mounted the VGO on jeeps when they were attached to the 1st Airborne Division during Operation Market-Garden in September 1944. Royal Marine and Army Commandos used the VGO for infantry support/squad automatic weapon briefly around D-Day.

Yes but those small, highly trained elite groups who should be much better about fire discipline etc. and should be able to manage. Giving a high rate of fire, poorly cooled mg to your average tank crew is asking for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.