Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after North Africa is through, Australia is likely to try to redeploy its own troops to the Pacific, which if done sooner, would give them more of a chance to acclimatise, and that, along with being better-equipped, should allow them to give the Japanese as tougher time.

No they won’t. Not until Japan actually enters the war will they demand their return.

At about this time IOTL, Churchill was keen as mustard on operation Acrobat, the British invasion of Sicily. I suspect that if the North African campaign goes as was planned OTL, before Rommel arrived and spoiled everything, Vichy North Africa will at worst remain nuetral and at best join the Free French. This creates the opertunity for Britain action against Sicily before the Germans arrive in strength. They just need to practice an amphibious assault against the Italians to iron out any glitches and to make sure they don't have a Gallipoli level balls up when they try it in a big op! That's why an attack on Rhodes makes so much sence.
Dieppe in the Med I fear as they don't have landing craft or worked out beach landing tactics yet. Better hope the Italians are asleep at the switch that day.

No they won’t. Not until Japan actually enters the war will they demand their return.
Japan is occupying FIC, and it doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to consider that, once the embargo goes up, that Japan will object to it. Of course, it comes down to whether Britain and the Netherlands actually go along with the embargo, which may not necessarily happen if Britain decides they don't want a two-theatre war.

Last edited:
Japan is occupying FIC, and it doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to consider that, once the embargo goes up, that Japan will object to it. Of course, it comes down to whether Britain and the Netherlands actually go along with the embargo, which may not necessarily happen if Britain decides they don't want a two-theatre war.

We know what happened historically, and there’s not enough difference here to change things. This isn’t wish fulfilment. The OP is writing logically from the POD.

But Britain is happy to have a tow theatre was so long as it brings the US in, as Vhurchill was convinced that US involvement guaranteed victory (which was pretty much right!).

Churchill doesn't have the final say on where the A.I.F. is sent though. If the Australian Government wants them sent to the Far East badly enough that's where they'll go. W.C. will of course do everything possible to talk them out of it and delay their redeployment.

they havent occupied southern indochina yet , i think that happens in june wich triggered both the americans and the british to the japenese threat finally asfar i can tell without the benefit of hindsight. So you cant react earlier and you have to remember it takes about a month to ship stuff there aswell wich is forgotten by many people.

The issue mainly is that the pod is rather small and butterflys are only just starting to flap in the story to rescue malaysia and singapore i think. But fighting alot better and delaying its fall should be rather possible i think cause british performance was pathetic.

My suggestion instead is to focus on burma in early parts of 42 since reinforcing singapore will become very iffy by then and the brits wont have much to distract them by then outside maybe sending more stuff to the soviets to stave off their collapse . Maybe get one of the good australian divisons and a new zealand divison with a british divison with a armored brigade or two (maybe matildas) . And good indian corps with another greener indian corps is my thought for a start in 42 .

Not sure when tough , altough as said whenever italians and germans are kicked out of north africa . Im projecting fall of 41 myself for that but im not 100% sure of that , it could go abit longer or even faster if rommel gets suckered in and gets his panzers mauled so it depends how the author goes and how much is he interested in writing about the eastern campaigns .Then the AIF might become available when this wraps up so it might not be in time people and not before and even if australians panic abit it would still be in 42 when they arrive wich isnt quick enough for singapore again .If they arent in time for singapore then as i have said burma is a opinion and new guinea aswell i guess . My thought is , one to burma , one stays in middle east and one goes to new guinea to be honest for the AIF forces ?

And its a interesting butterfly , how much would not having to reinforce rommel in north africa help with logistics for the eastern front in keeping their units up to strenght longer than in otl . Altough some will have to stay on sicily and in southern italy tough but they wont have as much trouble shipping stuff there compared to north africa .

Last edited:
And its a interesting butterfly , how much would not having to reinforce rommel in north africa help with logistics for the eastern front in keeping their units up to strenght longer than in otl . Altough some will have to stay on sicily and in southern italy tough but they wont have as much trouble shipping stuff there compared to north africa .
Probably a fair bit. Remember, it's not just the stuff that got to North Africa OTL, it was the stuff that got sunk too that you have to think about, which amounts to over over 300K tons of supplies, and over 17K people. There's also the fact that, with North Africa out of the equation, there's not likely to be a major Luftwaffe presence there after May, which will save the Germans fuel parts and personnel.

Basically, that's all the more stuff Germany can throw against the Soviets, although probably not all that much more in 1941.

Last edited:
Would it be enough to capture leningrad or hold of the Siberian divisions or perhaps prevent the encirclement of the sixth army or perhaps all of the above.

The problems for the Germans in Russia was logistics. Very slightly more supplies isn't going to suddenly give them the better logistics to get those supplies to where they're needed.

The problems for the Germans in Russia was logistics. Very slightly more supplies isn't going to suddenly give them the better logistics to get those supplies to where they're needed.
Precisely so.

Although having troops and equipment NOT involved or lost in the Desert campaign will be a small help in keeping the forces that can be supplied up to strength. As opposed to wasting away from early 1942 onwards.

Didn't the NA campaign use up a disproportionately large (relative to the numbers of men/tanks deployed) number of trucks that could be used in the USSR TTL? Not saying it'd win the campaign or anything, but it could help.

Didn't the NA campaign use up a disproportionately large (relative to the numbers of men/tanks deployed) number of trucks that could be used in the USSR TTL? Not saying it'd win the campaign or anything, but it could help.
Nope , problem was more not being able to get stuff to the front ( road/rail limits ) not lack of kit in 41 and 42. By 43 , fuel is the big issue and that will not be improved.

Nope , problem was more not being able to get stuff to the front ( road/rail limits ) not lack of kit in 41 and 42. By 43 , fuel is the big issue and that will not be improved.
And give the resources problem more manpower in '41 probably just adds to the General Winter casualty list as I doubt the Nazi's will wise up and send cold weather gear forward in time to do any good.

I suppose they might actually take Stalingrad in late '42 with more men but that does them no good at all. Ultimately Stalingrad is the cheese and operation Uranus will still slice straight through the supply lines. At which point things end even quicker since Hitler still won't allow a breakout and you have more men with the same resources trapped in a very cold picket.

marathag

Banned
Many of those Trucks were Italian, with an increasing number of captured British trucks as the campaign went on

marathag

Banned
Would it be enough to capture leningrad or hold of the Siberian divisions or perhaps prevent the encirclement of the sixth army or perhaps all of the above.
DAK, without its oversized truck park, doesn't really bring that much to the Party in the Eastern Front

Army Group North's three panzer divisions (the 1st, 6th, 8th) equipped with 635 panzers

Army Group Center had the Second Panzergruppe with 1,086 panzers in it's 3rd, 4th, 10th, 17th, and 18th panzer divisions.
The Third Panzergruppe had 989 panzers from its 7th, 12th, 19th, and 20th panzer divisions.

Army Group South had the 9th, 11th, 13th, 14th, and 16th Panzer Divisions as well as two battalions of assault guns. All up, 792 tanks and 42 StuG's.

Rommel's DAK had 314 panzers

Someone said rommel used like 1k panzers in total thanks to replacements and shipping losses in otl i think wich could help keep panzers strong for maybe another year on the eastern front and maybe not make kursk as crippling as it was otl for example altough it would still be a disaster. And the troops captured would be alot smaller and be available as casulty replacements after the winter maybe rather than recruiting ur workforce to bone as early as in otl wich could help them abit industrially altough the germans were abit limited by raw materials rather than manpower in some stuff.

Basicly to help singapore , the axis will have to kicked out of the desert by the end september and the australian pm should fly to london to convince the british to seriously reinforce the east to be in time i think is the only way to affect its fate . Very early october is the latest i think to affect singapore and thats it. And this is only if the author wants to follow it otherwise its useless for singapore to be honest . My thought is thats abit optimistic and would only work if rommel gets suckered into loosing alot panzers attacking when he did in otl thanks to the 7th armored actually being a thing still rather than a paper tiger of otl but im thinking nov / dec being the end date myself wich isnt quick enough for singapore. So instead i propose a more extensive and more succesful burma campaign .

Last edited:
I know Asia keeps coming up before its time but I think the only way Britain improves its performance in Asia against the Japanese is if they know the attack is coming well in advance, like during the initial planning stages. Given that Asia was supposed to be the 'quiet theatre' because Japan was already invested in China, forces over there were only expected to 'hold the fort down' while the 'real action' happened in Europe and Africa. Nobody expected Japan to attack virtually every other nation in the Asian Pacific, all at the same time.

I am extremely skeptical how improved armoured vehicle production in the UK could possibly help the situation in Asia before the 'Japanese Supernova' has already gone off, given the weaknesses of Allied performance had little to do with equipment availability. It would require either some sort of intelligence coup that didn't happen OTL (and would be a POD in its own right), or for someone with command authority to be damn near prescient and just assume the Japanese would attack beyond China before finishing there (which seems to be the preferred option from commenters), lurching this timeline into Britwank territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.