Not open for further replies.

marathag

Banned
namely the Matilda II as that cant be up gunned to take the 6pdr
KRu1rGR.jpg

Those clever Russians. ZiS-5 76mm from KV-1 welded to front of turret

KRu1rGR.jpg

Those clever Russians. ZiS-5 76mm from KV-1 welded to front of turret

It's worth noting that while the Matilda II was experimentally up gunned by Britain and the Soviet Union neither country thought it worth doing it more than once. Presumably it made the turret unworkable. Fitting a Pom Pom though would seem a reasonable way to prolong the Matilda's useful service life as an Infantry Support Tank. It would probably make it more useful in that role than the standard version.

Just picture the Fallschirmjager landing on the airfields, trying to dig in then seeing a Matilda I chugging their way lobbing 40mm HE merrily. After Crete the far east is the likely next stop for all the spare tanks.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Quad Pom-Pom on a Tank. It would make a wonderful SPAA(/PBI)G!

SPAA(/PBI)G - Self-Propelled Anti Aircraft/Poor Bloody Infantry Gun!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Quad Pom-Pom on a Tank. It would make a wonderful SPAA(/PBI)G!

SPAA(/PBI)G - Self-Propelled Anti Aircraft/Poor Bloody Infantry Gun!
Rattle rattle, squeak squeak, Pom pom pom, rattle rattle, squeak squeak, Pom pom pom, rattle rattle squeak squeak, pom pom pom.

I spoke about how the Matilda was supposed to get a simpler rolled steel turret down the line, so how about this, but welded, with an external mantlet and a 54" turret ring?
1606837720419.png

Functionally a Valiant or OTL Churchill Mk 3's turret equivalent. We know the Churchill could use the 6 pounder and even the QF 3.7" howitzer within a 54" turret ring. If any of the companies involved in Matilda production want to improve the design, this would be the way to go. Down the line, getting the Meritt-Brown transmission and a better engine as well as a simplified suspension (like Vauxhall did on A20 before deciding to develop the A22) would help. Valiant exist but they could increase the armor to sell it as a heavy infantry tank, or integrate special equipment from the start (Matilda II Crocodile anyone?).

10 September 1939. Farnborough, England.

4th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment’s commanding officer Lt Col Gatehouse MC, with his second in command Maj FitzMaurice at his side, addressed the officers and men on parade.

“As you may already have heard, the Battalion has received movement orders to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. We are to depart these shores in just over a week’s time. We are going to be the first, and for the moment, only tank battalion of the Royal Tank Regiment in France.

“We have all been watching the newsreels coming from Poland where the German army are engaged in a war of aggression. Those of us old enough to remember the fighting in France in the last lot, are going back to do the same thing as we did before.

“We are going to teach the Hun that aggression against our allies and friends will be met with overwhelming force. The Royal Tank Corps was the war winning weapon that achieved that in 1918. We will go back to France and show them once more that the tanks of the British Army will defeat any foe.

“The battalion will have an extremely busy time of it. There is a great deal to do, and not a lot of time to do it. Each and everyone of us will be expected to give of our best and work tirelessly to make the movement happen, on time and in proper order.

“I have every confidence that the 4th Battalion will set the example for the rest of the Royal Tank Regiment to follow. Your officers and NCO’s have been fully briefed, and once you are dismissed, you will each be assigned your tasks. We have learned that working together that there is nothing that we cannot overcome.

“Now, work hard! This is the beginning of a very trying time for us all, and for our country. Start off as you mean to go on. Put your whole effort into this, and once the fighting begins, we will be in a position to show Germany, and their fancy new panzer troops, that the Royal Tank Regiment is the original and the best!”

Now maybe have the ministry to ask vickers help to set up a valiant factory in canada and australia? And as i said i still think a infantry carrier wich is at first ment for the organic infantry for the tank battalions and stuff could be a project for our protaganist.

Last edited:
Now maybe have the ministry to ask vickers help to set up a valiant factory in canada and australia? And as i said i still think a infantry carrier wich is at first ment for the organic infantry for the tank battalions and stuff could be a project for our protaganist.
While I don't disagree with you, an infantry carrier isn't yet part of British Army doctrine in 1939. The carrier platoon in each battalion has a very specific role, but the infantry were still trained to fight on foot. They would be carried to assembly positions by Royal Army Service Corps lorries, then proceed on foot. While I mentioned the possibility of an armoured personnel carrier based on the A17 light tank chassis, it isn't something that's going to happen until there's been enough carnage for the army to learn their need for an APC. This isn't the ASB forum, and early APCs are in ASB territory.
Allan

Even if my idea is for the infantry wich is accompanying the tank troops as a explanation of sorts maybe and to have something for to do and suddenly they learn the lessons and want to run them out alot wider than that eventually for d-day maybe ?

4th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment’s commanding officer Lt Col Gatehouse MC, with his second in command Maj FitzMaurice at his side, addressed the officers and men on parade.

“As you may already have heard, the Battalion has received movement orders to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. We are to depart these shores in just over a week’s time. We are going to be the first, and for the moment, only tank battalion of the Royal Tank Regiment in France.

“We have all been watching the newsreels coming from Poland where the German army are engaged in a war of aggression. Those of us old enough to remember the fighting in France in the last lot, are going back to do the same thing as we did before.

“We are going to teach the Hun that aggression against our allies and friends will be met with overwhelming force. The Royal Tank Corps was the war winning weapon that achieved that in 1918. We will go back to France and show them once more that the tanks of the British Army will defeat any foe.

“The battalion will have an extremely busy time of it. There is a great deal to do, and not a lot of time to do it. Each and everyone of us will be expected to give of our best and work tirelessly to make the movement happen, on time and in proper order.

“I have every confidence that the 4th Battalion will set the example for the rest of the Royal Tank Regiment to follow. Your officers and NCO’s have been fully briefed, and once you are dismissed, you will each be assigned your tasks. We have learned that working together that there is nothing that we cannot overcome.

“Now, work hard! This is the beginning of a very trying time for us all, and for our country. Start off as you mean to go on. Put your whole effort into this, and once the fighting begins, we will be in a position to show Germany, and their fancy new panzer troops, that the Royal Tank Regiment is the original and the best!”

Slightly off-topic (it seems to be a theme of mine) but a less-frantic Britain after the Evacuation at [Insert Location Here] would likely butterfly away the crash-build small arms programs the War Office started when they were desperate to replace all the kit lost at Dunkirk OTL.
Right off the top of my head this likely means the shamefully expensive bulk order of Thompson SMGs is butterflied, as might be the Sten and Sterling SMGs (although I firmly believe that an equivalent smallarm will be developed in their place). People with better knowledge of wartime firearms are welcome to speculate on what Tommy's carrying instead of a Sten later in the war.

originally been given the company name of Vampire. Carden now wanted to call it the Birch Gun in honour of the man who inspired it.
Oh yes, I like this.

Last edited:
Canada definitely yes , Australia , not so much. Its a bit too much tank for the infrastructure that's in place. Oz really wants to make light stuff or support, which , for pacific operations , is all they really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.