Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Adding to what RampRat said about Japanese logistically mess they also have a tendency to eat their pack animals due to piss poor supply situation so they lose what little mobility they provide.

Adding to what RampRat said about Japanese logistically mess they also have a tendency to eat their pack animals due to piss poor supply situation so they lose what little mobility they provide.

So did the Chindits at some point. Didn't recommend mule steak though.

Last edited:
Horse meat really is just a matter of tradition. It's not eaten in the Anglosphere because there hasn't been a major famine in England since before mass horse ownership became common and so "they're more useful for labour" is deeply embedded. Much of Europe still had famines until very recently and "Eat the nag in an emergency," probably led to "It's good meat, might as well eat the old horse when it dies," and then "We like the taste let's raise them for food."

There was a case were a Japanese officer did eat the liver of some US pilots.

he was tried and executed by the Japanese I think
Hardly shocking, the taboo on cannibalism is pretty universal after all. Even most places that have done it tend to be ritualistic rather than for food. Even for the wartime IJA I imagine that's one line they just didn't cross.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Horse meat, years ago when I was a working stiff who got to play with planes every day, the airline I worked for had a contract to handle a second tier Canadian airline. They only flew 767’s into London, and the forward hold was frequently filled with 4 pallets of frozen horse meat, destined for a tarmac transfer to our Paris flight. And I will say that it was along with frogs from Africa, the only food item that no one was tempted to sample, or take home. 😎

RR.