Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

That means something quite different on this side of the Atlantic...unless of course you mean it that way...
Anyway, isn't that what the TOG I and II were for?
Allan
Be careful Allan, you'll get us all excited that your going to rehabilitate the reputation of the TOG's in much same way you did the A11's earlier on in the story😉

Be careful Allan, you'll get us all excited that your going to rehabilitate the reputation of the TOG's in much same way you did the A11's earlier on in the story😉
A 6 pounder molins gun should do that. (Just kidding)

1664130537629.png

That means something quite different on this side of the Atlantic...unless of course you mean it that way...
Anyway, isn't that what the TOG I and II were for?
Allan

I just tried to search for your mentions of "TOG" in your storyline and I didn't see anything indicating firm plan to move forward or go into production....

If I've whiffed and missed it, my apologies.....

As I understand it, on the OTL Churchill, the drivers side view was blocked by the tracks and the engine air intake on the sides caused dust intake problems, any chance of not having these?

Last edited:
If there are reduced numbers of Churchill hulls, what other tank would have the internal volume that made it useful to the RE?

Question applied to TTL and the OTL?

As I understand it, on the OTL Churchill, the drivers side view was blocked by the tarcks and the engine air intake on the sides caused dust intake problems, any chace of not having these?
Black Prince adressed both. Intakes on top, lowered idler.

About the next post, why? The internal volume had nothing to do with Churchill being used in RE since everything was mounted outside and the Churchill was even less convenient than other options for the Spigot mortar. It was used by RE for the armor.

So what was the Churchill's hill-climbing mostly due to? The Merritt-Brown gearbox? The unique suspension? Both of those and more?

So what was the Churchill's hill-climbing mostly due to? The Merritt-Brown gearbox? The unique suspension? Both of those and more?
Dunno, but frankly you can get the same performance with better designs too so the hill-climbing is rather good in spite of Churchill rather than because. I don't recall the Soviets rating it particularly high here.

Dunno, but frankly you can get the same performance with better designs too so the hill-climbing is rather good in spite of Churchill rather than because. I don't recall the Soviets rating it particularly high here.
If it was the gearbox, the Victor has one too, and a better power-to-weight ratio.

marathag

Banned
I wonder if you could fit one into the Victor...
US played around with an autoloader version of the M3 7fmm into pretty much a standard sized Sherman turret, with the T22E1
01jCI0S.jpg

1602860842562-jpeg.591201

but binned it, as by time it was ready, they were finding the 76mm was having trouble in France, and 75 wasn't enough.

A valid take, but I would have put that into M7Light/Medium or M24

US played around with an autoloader version of the M3 7fmm into pretty much a standard sized Sherman turret, with the T22E1
01jCI0S.jpg

1602860842562-jpeg.591201

but binned it, as by time it was ready, they were finding the 76mm was having trouble in France, and 75 wasn't enough.

A valid take, but I would have put that into M7Light/Medium or M24
Fair, though I imagine getter peppered with even a bunch of non-penetrating hits would be enough to give any tanker, as Nicholas Moran calls it, 'a significant emotional event'.

I think Vauxhall might decide to quickly design a relatively larger turret for the Churchill to take the 6pdr and hopefully something a little bigger and then drop further development of the Churchill; instead, put their priority on developing the future Black Prince to try to have something designed by then to produce after the Churchill.

Which could actually be a decent tank ITTL; Vauxhall could very well look at the Valiant's success and decide to use an airplane engine, probably ending up with the Meteor for the same reasons Carden ITTL and the Cromwell IOTL did; and putting a 17pdr in it by trying to get ahead of their competition and ask Woolwich for the approximate specifications of their current project to fit in their tank.

However big you make the turret, it still has a <55" ring, so space will still be limited. As for Black Prince, I suspect that will be killed before it leaves the drawing-board.

I really don't understand this site's ideas on the Black Prince. It was superceded by the Centurion in IOTL. It was a tank that was not needed. It was limited in OTL by a lack of engine power and a gun at the end of it's development, with no plans to increase it's calibre. If the Germans had fielded large numbers of Tiger IIs or Panthers, it might have seen a use but they didn't.

I really don't understand this site's ideas on the Black Prince. It was superceded by the Centurion in IOTL. It was a tank that was not needed. It was limited in OTL by a lack of engine power and a gun at the end of it's development, with no plans to increase it's calibre. If the Germans had fielded large numbers of Tiger IIs or Panthers, it might have seen a use but they didn't.
It's not just the tank itself that has been (or will be) superseded, but the whole role of the Infantry Tank.