Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Battleships are not, except in very strange dreams, amphibious.
Well, I'd swear there was some kind of newspaper cartoon/propaganda art of a battleship being transported by railway, which I've seen posted somewhere on this forum, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Possibly in one of the Sea Lion thread.
But nice catch on my terminology. Aquatic would have been better. Will edit to correct. :)

Well, I'd swear there was some kind of newspaper cartoon/propaganda art of a battleship being transported by railway, which I've seen posted somewhere on this forum, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Possibly in one of the Sea Lion thread.
But nice catch on my terminology. Aquatic would have been better. Will edit to correct. :)

Not a battleship but

eads-ship-railway-plan2.jpg__1000x1235_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
The loss of Barhama along with the other navel units is unfortunate, but not as demoralising as was the loss of POW and Repulse did IOTL, which was to an extent devastating. And while some of the RN has withdrawn to Ceylon, nether the Japanese or the locals know this. This means that the Japanese will be desperate to know where Force Z is, and will expend valuable resources trying to find out. And the locals will have the reassurance of knowing that a major navel force, including one of the most modern and powerful aircraft carriers, is available to aid in the defence of Singapore. On the ground the British forces have managed to retain their cohesion, and unlike the Japanese can rotate their brigades into and out of reserve. This along with having suitable reinforcements in reserve in and around Singapore, who can while training, support the civil power in maintaining control of the civilian population. Before being swapped out for a tiered unit, who can be retired to refresh and rebuild, while they too support the civil power. All the while waiting for the substantial reinforcements that are in transit to arrive. The stripping of the Middle East of all surplus equipment including tanks and armoured cars, will provide enough for a reserve armoured force, to enable the area commander to use the present armoured forces to the maximum. In addition the movement of the man who I personally regard as Britain’s finest General of WWII, and one of the best Generals of all nations at the time. Into the Burma area, along with his battle hardened devision, not in a desperate attempt to pull the British chestnuts out of the fire. But instead to reinforce a reasonable stable situation, should go well, and ensure that the Japanese suffer a significant defeat. Uncle Bill, was not only a superb tactician, but also an excellent logistical master, plus unlike a number of other successful Generals, he appeared to have no ego, and was generally a very likeable person.

In regards to the situation in regards to the Air Force, is at present strongly in the favour of the Japanese. However unlike the Japanese who face the problem that they will be getting weaker day by day, having very little reserves to draw upon, given that they have numerous other areas to support. And in the case of the Army especially the area of their most concern China, which throughout the war was their major area of conflict. The British have the advantage that the other major areas of conflict at present do not require large numbers of fighters or tactical aircraft. Both the Atlantic campaign and the Bombing campaign are being fought with large multi engine aircraft, and similarly the on going campaign in the Mediterranean can be fought with the same, only requiring a small number of fighters in Malta and Crete, for local defence. Provided that the British can hold on for the next two months, they will be able to flood the area with older but still viable aircraft that are surplus to requirements elsewhere. Mk II Spitfires which are only good for training in Europe, would be ideal based in Singapore for the defence of the city. Mk IV Blenheim’s would be handy in the anti shipping role in the South China Sea, both as reconnaissance aircraft and attack aircraft. Expect to see in the short term a lot of aircraft that are past their best before date, pressed into service in the Far East, if not in front line roles, but secondary roles temporarily. One last point of interest, our author rightly is concentrating on tank development especially British ITTL. However he seems to have rolled the dice and while the Americans have suffered a major defeat at Pearl Harbour, they haven’t lost ether of their aircraft carriers. Which has the effect that the Japanese will have to keep significant navel forces in the Pacific, and can not deploy all of their navy to the South China Sea to engage Force Z. And thus the combination of Force Z as a fleet in being, and the British and Dutch submarines, are going to be a major thorn in the side of the Japanese Navy.

RR.

Hmm. Might have been what I was thinking of, in terms of a clearly amphibious ship. :D
I thought there was a battleship one, but maybe I got confused with space battleship yamato, which another poster referred to, I think.
Although I think there was an American Civil War ironclad which ended up in the Sahara Desert somehow in a Clive Cussler film.

But alas, I do not think that we will persuade the author of this timeline to give more attention in it to aquatic tanks.
Oh well...

In grateful remembrance of a woman with gifts of wisdom, courage, humility, dedication, commitment and humour. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.
(Photo from 1942: Wearing a Girl Guide uniform to register for the war service as part of the Ministry of Labour’s Youth Registration Scheme.)
QEII1942.jpg

Thanks Alan

Worth noting she was 16 then. And became a driver/mechanic in the Army women's auxiliary by 18 IIRC.

ETA. A remarkable life of 80 years service to her Country and the Commonwealth from that date.

Perhaps given the increased prestige of the armoured units in this line truck mechanic No. 230873 otherwise known as Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor or HRH Elizabeth could serve as a tank mechanic instead of an auto mechanic in the Womens Auxilary Territorial service.

In grateful remembrance of a woman with gifts of wisdom, courage, humility, dedication, commitment and humour. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.
(Photo from 1942: Wearing a Girl Guide uniform to register for the war service as part of the Ministry of Labour’s Youth Registration Scheme.)View attachment 772874
And she was a player in a series of wartime pantomimes held at Windsor Castle in the original timeline.
Edit:
Tried to link to a website about it, but the link doesn't seem to work properly. I can access the page by google searching ('pantomimes at Windsor castle') but not by the link for the webpage.

Last edited: