Sino-Soviet War Collaborative TL

September 11, 1969: With a view to easing the tense military confrontation between China and the Soviet Union, Premier Zhou Enlai met Alexei Kosygin, Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR at Beijing Airport and discussed with him the urgent questions in Sino-Soviet relations, especially the boundary question. What these men said is lost to history, but it's effects are felt to this day.

September 16, 1969:
Chinese Communist troops move back into Xinjiang, making (bloody) contact with the Soviet occupiers in Tielieketi.

September 31, 1969: The Soviet Union formally declares war upon the People's Republic of China.

October 7, 1969: Soviet troops counter-attack in Xinjiang, massacring Chinese troops. They also move into Damansky/Zhenbao island, utilizing significant bombing to remove Chinese opposition.

October 15, 1969: The Battle of Belogorsk begins and lasts 36 hours as Chinese troops invade Soviet territory. Casualties are massive for both sides.

October 31, 1969: The Apollo 12 launch is delayed indefinitely in response to potential Sino-Soviet nuclear missile launches.

I hope that this does not go nuclear.

Depending on how long this drags on, I am wondering if Nixon will try to play each side against each other to pressure North Vietnam to accept a peace settlement. I am sure that there are intelligence information and other things that he could secretly offer including guaranteeing not to invade North Vietnam. It is my understanding that it was very important to Nixon to have peace in Vietnam and end the impact on the American society.

October 8, 1969 - The 'Days of Rage' demonstration organizated by the Student for a Democratic Society are a failure, less than 500 people showed in the prior days and less than an half of them faced the massive police show of force. The crowd after a couple of hours spontaneusly disperses. Many consider the cause of this failure the war between the communist power, as the security measure were greatly incresed nationwide and many fearing that soon the conflict will extend decided to remain with their families..

October 15, 1969 - The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam, become the Moratorium to End the War in Asia, with the demonstrators asking not only the end of the war in Vietnam or at least the end of the american involvement but that the US goverment worked towards a peace between the Soviet Union and the People Republic of China.

October 28-31 - North and South Korea border skirmish cause the death of at least 30 soldiers and the wounding of another 200, with both side mobilize their army due to the Sino-Soviet war, as there is fear that one side can use the current situation to restart the Korean conflict

Last edited:
October 2-17, 1969 - Second Battle of Lake Khasan is fought, after initial minor skirmishes in the region develop into a protracted struggle after Beijing over-commits to the fight. Initially, Chinese numerical superiority gives the PLA the advantage but, once properly drawn in and exhausted, the Soviets unleash their mobile forces to affect an encirclement that results in the destruction of three Chinese divisions. This Soviet victory engenders grave panic within Beijing.

November 1, 1969 - As the conflict between them and the USSR deepens, the People's Republic of China halts aid to the North Vietnamese and shut off access to their Communist neighbor in order to curry favor with the United States.

November 3, 1969 - Likewise following the Chinese, the USSR too shuts off material aid to North Vietnam; this is driven in part by the realization that the conflict with China makes it extremely difficult to deliver such support anyway. With the end of Sino-Soviet aid, Hanoi begins to seriously consider the need to make peace with the Americans.

Last edited:
October 31, 1969 - In a surprise move Chiang Kai Shek pledges Taipei’s support to Beijing stating that in times of crisis families set aside their internal differences to face external foes. He pledges financial and material support and orders ROC ships to patrol the Chinese coastline and ensure security of the Taiwan Strait and all offshore common Chinese claims in the East and South China Seas.

Last edited:
November 2, 1969 - In a private meeting in the Oval Office, President Richard Nixon and his National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger begin to discuss the possibilities of using the Sino-Soviet conflict and Taiwan's recently pledged support for the Mainland as a vehicle for bringing a peaceful resolution of the PRC-ROC issue. Overall Nixon and Kissinger both view the Sino-Soviet conflict as a way to win the Cold War in East Asia and while neither wants to see the war escalate, they also are not eager to see it end anytime soon.

November 4, 1969 - Lead elements of the ROCAF 34th "Black Bat" Squadron secretly deploy to a remote airfield in northern China. Trained in very low level penetration tactics to insert agents and conduct reconnaissance, the 34th Squadron provides the PRC with a significant upgrade in its airborne tactical reconnaissance capabilities.

November 8, 1969 - Le Duan and Pham Van Dong meet to discuss the outbreak of hostilities between The PRC and USSR, and what it would mean for liberating the South. While the Chinese were closer to them ideologically, the Soviets provided fewer excuses with aid, not that it matter since they stopped all aid. This was the last thing they needed after the Tet Offense had ruined any chance of an uprising in the South, as it seem any chance for reunification was impossible, but perhaps it could make the Americans complacent. However, their comrades in Korea would more than likely willing to listen to them as they no doubt had similar concerns.

November 13, 1969 - Kim Il Sung had recently mulled over what the DMV had sent him, while independence from both the Soviets and Chinese was always as much a goal as reunification, this conflict could be a threat to both of those goals. A thought had crossed Kim's mind, the creation of a new bloc committed towards peace in the Communist World, finding willing allies would not be too hard, as liberating as both irritating and liberating as this conflicted proved to be, a full-scale war was in no one's interests.

The idea of a block of small Communist countries is interesting. I am sure that Yugoslavia would be interested in discussing this. Also I am wondering if Yugoslavia has the capacity to produce AK47, ammo, light machine guns and other weapons that North Vietnam would be interested in. I do not know how North Vietnam would pay for ammunitions and other equipment. Maybe Yugoslavia could provide some ammunition for free as a way to insure North Vietnam support in the future. North Korea may be interested in diversifying their arms suppliers so that they are less dependent on China and Russia.

Some of the Eurocommunist parties may be interested in joining this discussion of a block of Communist parties as a way to get more independence from Moscow.

I am wondering what was the relationship between Yugoslavia and Albania at this time? With Russia and China tied up in a war, I am wondering if Yugoslavia might want to take over Albania.

I am looking forward to seeing how this develops.

The idea of a block of small Communist countries is interesting. I am sure that Yugoslavia would be interested in discussing this. Also I am wondering if Yugoslavia has the capacity to produce AK47, ammo, light machine guns and other weapons that North Vietnam would be interested in. I do not know how North Vietnam would pay for ammunitions and other equipment. Maybe Yugoslavia could provide some ammunition for free as a way to insure North Vietnam support in the future. North Korea may be interested in diversifying their arms suppliers so that they are less dependent on China and Russia.

Some of the Eurocommunist parties may be interested in joining this discussion of a block of Communist parties as a way to get more independence from Moscow.

I am wondering what was the relationship between Yugoslavia and Albania at this time? With Russia and China tied up in a war, I am wondering if Yugoslavia might want to take over Albania.

Eurocommunism is still a vague idea, even if there are already a lot of seed and the Sino-Soviet war will probably accelerate things; while the idea of a separate neutral communist block is intriguing, i doubt that either Bejing and Moscow will allow such thing and North Korea is really dependent fron one big communist brothers or the other for economic reason and as a patron against South Korea/USA.
Kim attempt will probably end with him being couped, many of the communist parties of the west will find themselfs thorn apart by this war and Moscow demanding support expecially so soon after the Prague Spring.

Yugoslavia was neutral, and while they did not like Albania, they did not care to invade even when Albania went into isolation. I pitched this idea because not all members of the Second World really paid the Sino-Soviet split the same attention. Mongolia was firmly pro-Soviet, and Albania pro-Chinese until the Chinese reconciliation with the U.S. Even in OTL there was a joint mission by concerned states to try and end the split. There's also the fact Second World states have different mindsets and different goals to achieve and even took to a form of Kremlinology to spy on each other.

Eurocommunism is still a vague idea, even if there are already a lot of seed and the Sino-Soviet war will probably accelerate things; while the idea of a separate neutral communist block is intriguing, i doubt that either Bejing and Moscow will allow such thing and North Korea is really dependent fron one big communist brothers or the other for economic reason and as a patron against South Korea/USA.
Kim attempt will probably end with him being couped, many of the communist parties of the west will find themselfs thorn apart by this war and Moscow demanding support expecially so soon after the Prague Spring.

There's nothing the Soviets or Chinese can really do about it. As long as all parties remain Communist, there is almost nothing a state in the Second World cannot do. Both the North Koreans and North Vietnamese basically switched sides, Romania basically did the same thing and played the role of mediator with the U.S and China even as a Soviet buffer. Force was only used against nations that wanted to break away from the fold entirely. Kim seems far too entrenched to go remove, and no one is going to call for it, like Prague Spring.

Does anyone think that the Soviets will ask the other Warsaw Pact nations for help? If they do how would the other Warsaw nations respond?

There's nothing the Soviets or Chinese can really do about it. As long as all parties remain Communist, there is almost nothing a state in the Second World cannot do. Both the North Koreans and North Vietnamese basically switched sides, Romania basically did the same thing and played the role of mediator with the U.S and China even as a Soviet buffer. Force was only used against nations that wanted to break away from the fold entirely. Kim seems far too entrenched to go remove, and no one is going to call for it, like Prague Spring.

A state in the Second World can do everything, if Moscow agree, otherwise it's not a very wise move; stretching the leash a little and try to get some space of manoveur is one thing and can be allowed...try to do that in this situaiton it's not really healthy.
The PCUS will see a move like this like a betrayal as there is a declared war between the URSS and the PRC and usually he resolve this things brutally and efficiently and ITTL even Romania will at least just shut up and nod if Ceasescu know what's good for him
North Korea and North Vietman are heavily dependent on the economic ties with the Soviet and Chinese (with different degree) so just the economic repercussion will be dire and not considering the presence of the US military at their borderso a lot of the small communist nation unless they go to the former colonial masters or the USA for money and trade agreements.

Not considering the ideology of the parts involved, there is a war, the various allies around the world will be called to contribuite or at least give diplomatic support...and names will be taken on who's is not on their side and correction will be done immediately

November 15, 1969 - ROCN and RVN warships conduct aggressive shadowing operations in the South China Sea resulting in at least one collision after ROC troops dismantled sovereignty markers placed on two islands in the Spratly archipelago by RVN forces. The situation resolves itself after US Navy warships are dispatched to the area to in the words of American naval officer, "keep the unruly kids on separate sides of the playground." Taipei states publicly that it will aggressively defend all Chinese offshore territory during the ongoing crisis and that other nations should not view the situation as an opportunity for any quick land grabs. Beijing quietly agrees to allow ROCN warships to operate from PRC bases on Hainan Island to provide them with easier access to trouble spots in the South China Sea.