Simulating US Elections with proposed states included

qazse

Gone Fishin'
OK, so whilst browsing Reddit I stumbled across this post which showcased several proposed US states that never existed (whether officially or unofficially):
Shortly afterward I stumbled across this GitHub tool which allows you to reconfigure the States and simulate elections using different state configurations. So I thought "Why not try that with the proposed states?" and here we are.

But first, here is the map recreated as best as I can:
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.55.26 am.png

(Alaska and Hawaii are not shown because they are unchanged)
For the division of California I have used the 2013 "Six Californias" proposal, and for the division of Texas I have used the proposal by FiveThirtyEight.com.
Now, onto the election results:

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.32.54 am.png

The additional states have jacked up the number of electors from 538 to 602, of which 301 are needed to win. For the 2004 results, the victory remains with Bush, who scores 374 seats compared to Kerry's 228. His margin of victory also increases from around 2.5% to just under 25%!
Some notes I've made:
  • Bush manages to win Jefferson, Central California and South California.
  • On the contrary, Kerry wins Baja Arizona, El Norte and South Florida.
  • With the democratic stronghold of Pittsburgh added to Westsylvania, and Philly its own state, the remainder of Pennsylvania is flipped firmly red.
  • The additional Republican voters added to Delmarva allow Bush to score that state.
  • Without Chicago, Illinois and Little Egypt are both firmly red.
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.33.15 am.png

Obama wins even more of a sweeping victory (348 seats) than with the OTL states, jacking up his margin to just under 16%!
  • Obama managed to win Huerfano, despite that state being rural and Republican-leaning (I think?)
  • It seems I was wrong about Illinois and Little Egypt being firmly red.
  • Delmarva has been turned blue again.
More details follow in the next post...

qazse

Gone Fishin'
c8tqK26.png

In this one, Romney manages to recapture North Carolina, Little Egypt, Illinois and Indiana, turnin this one into a dead 301-301 tie.

VmbQZD3.png

Sorry, Democrats. There may be new democrat states, but Trump still wins with 341 seats (a margin of just over 13%).