Simple discoveries that would radically change ancient times or middle ages?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by SeaCambrian, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Richard V Well-Known Member

Lithography, much better than printing press if you dont use alphabets.

Lenwe and Max Sinister like this.
  2. LSCatilina Vassican Labosiotos Vergagnatos

@VictorLaszlo
    Paper was actually cheaper than parchment or vellum since the XIVth century at least, and its production widespread in most of Europe at this point : it's why its use kept growing while public authority would have preferred a maintained use of parchment giving it was seen as less fragile and more resilient to average keeping conditions. While you're right that the first paper mill (and, eventually, first manufactory production outside Italy and Spain) appeared in Nuremberg half a century before printing press was discovered, we'd be more talking of material accessibility than something out of price.
    In fact, Gutemberg's Bible was printed both on vellum and paper...from Italy.

Lenwe likes this.
  3. CountDVB Dual Emperor of the Aztech and Maychanical Empires

Sorry, I was half asleep writing that post.

But yeah, I figure better organizing systems of literature, scholarly works and information would be beneficial sooner

4. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

well, of course :) as a jumping-off point, maybe something comparable to Linnaean taxonomy as well?

5. Coluber Dirty Degredado

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. The Horse Yoke was an extremely simple and innovative piece of equipment.

Chris Triangle and kholieken like this.
  6. The Studying Erudite Member

while I assume it was writen already (i have no energy to check), an earlier use of gunpowder would change a lot.

7. Kaushlendra pratap singh Well-Known Member

Indian already bath daily use fresh food and clean house daily you can feel. I think for India most important invention will be paper the printing machine and gun powder with this Indian always remain the top dog of world

8. DominusNovus Humbled by Fate

I think the implication was some more modern conceptions of hygiene. For example, boiling things to clean them (or water to disinfect it).

Also, India had all those things when they were conquered.