Should I buy For Want of a Nail by Sobel?

Hi everyone I`ve been think about buying this book I found a hardcover in good condition for a good price online. I think it sounds interesting based on the Wikipedia article and the timeline done by Ian. But I`m worried that it will be too boring I`ve just been able to read the preface and that was slightly boring.
So what are your thoughts? Thanks for your advice.

The book can be a bit dry yes, but for me at least, it was the first textbook (I know its not really, but the form is true) that I've ever read beginning to end.

It was actually really interesting, and is really still one of the standards all AH timeline writers should compare themselves to.

IMHO, buy it. Its well worth it.

It's regarded as being one of the classics of AH, so by all means, go ahead and buy it. I have to agree it's dry, though, in its style - much too dry for me. I read it back in the 1980's when I found it in a university library, and to be honest, I got something of a headache from reading it.

It can be a bit heavy going and is a bit like a counterdactual but it is definately worth reading but not necessarily more than once. I suggest you try the public library and if they can't get it then buy a copy

Several members have commented that "For Want of a Nail" is "a bit dry". While I do not deny this, I do not believe that this is a side effect, but is a direct result of Sobel's desire to write a satire of college level history books.
From the profusion of footnotes, to the lofty pronouncements, to the end dialogue of the "Mexican" professor, I believe that Sobel was trying to make fun of his colleagues in the teaching profession and their top lofty tomes.
My suggestion is to dip in and out, read what seems to be interesting and don't try to read it straight through. I found that this was a good way to pick up the in jokes (like Lincoln as a prominent railroad lawyer in a footnote) and to get a feel for the very differnent world Sobel created.

AH

Thanks alot for the advice everyone.:):D I have ordered it and I am planning on doing what you said Alexander Hamilton of dipping in and out of it. And I did read that Sobel was trying to satarise the college level textbooks.

Last edited:
Well it came, I`ve started it. It`s not bad very interesting and not as dry as I had thought. Thanks for your helpful advice everyone.:):D

Wonderful! You have now read the best and most believable piece of AH writing ever produced. Everything else is downhill.