Sheep pastoralism in Japan and Korea

Korea and Japan, both montainous, lacks widespread tradition of pastoralism, while in Europe mountainous areas (Balkans, Alps, Carpathians) unsuitable for farming often are used as pastures. Seems, that difference has its origin in culture rather than environment. In Europe, for example, Vlach shepherds spread pastoral lifestyle to Western Carpathians, all the way to Moravia. Previously inhabitants of Western Carpathian chain made use only of valleys, were farming was possible, seeing steep mountain slopes as useless. After Vlach migration things changed, and these mountainous areas, not used by farmers, were turned into pastures. Would pastoralist culture appear in Japan, then IMHO similar proces would happen and areas at elevations too high for farming may be used as pasture for sheep and goats. What PoD is needed for this (perhaps earlier introduction of sheep to the region?) and what would be impact (other than deforestation)?

I wanted to write "MOSTLY kept for wool and mest" :)

Asians can eat cheese (most of lactose is removed ved during cheese making) but they usually do not as dairy products are viewed as a food of nomads, something culturally at a lower level

Anyways, cultural impact may be interesting. I have seen a theory that pastoralist cultures have a stronger emphasis on aggression and masculinity, we may see Japan having a cultural streak similar to Spain or the Balkans

Seems like I read somewhere once, God knows where, that the relative absence of dairy products in east Asian diets had less to do with lactose intolerance, and more to do with a certain Chinese emperor, forget which one, who had an aversion to them... and at that time, what the Emperor says, goes...

Seems like I read somewhere once, God knows where, that the relative absence of dairy products in east Asian diets had less to do with lactose intolerance, and more to do with a certain Chinese emperor, forget which one, who had an aversion to them... and at that time, what the Emperor says, goes...
Around 80 percent are allergic to dairy. It's just not going to be popular for some pretty basic reasons.

Anyways, cultural impact may be interesting. I have seen a theory that pastoralist cultures have a stronger emphasis on aggression and masculinity, we may see Japan having a cultural streak similar to Spain or the Balkans
Is the culture famous for the Samurai really lacking in aggression and masculinity IOTL?
Will there's a slight problems most East Asians lack the gene needed to process lactose as adults. You will need a POD in the Neolithic.
Most Jews and Arabs are also lactose intolerant, yet pastoralism did well among those people. Similarly, lactose tolerance among Europeans, IIRC, post-dated the domestication of cattle and horses among the PIEs.

Maybe the issue in the Far East is that terracing for agricultural use of steep slopes seems to have been more common there than in Europe, reducing the incentive for introducing sheep? Terracing wasn't unknown in Europe, of course, but it was mostly used for vineyards and olive groves, to my understanding, and not much outside the Mediterranean.

Japan has very rough mountainous terrain
If a species of sheep that was able to forward in rough mountain it's terrain was domesticated it could happen

Maybe the issue in the Far East is that terracing for agricultural use of steep slopes seems to have been more common there than in Europe, reducing the incentive for introducing sheep? Terracing wasn't unknown in Europe, of course, but it was mostly used for vineyards and olive groves, to my understanding, and not much outside the Mediterranean.
Steep slopes is not the only issue-sheep could be grazed (at least seasonally) at altitudes, where it is simply too cold for farming, with or without terraces.