Shadow of Fashoda

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
In 1924, German zeppelins begin using helium exclusively. Regular transatlantic zeppelin flights between the Americas and Europe begin.

This is interesting. How many sources of Helium were there ? I think I once read that the USA had the virtual monopoly in this period. This could therefore be indicative of close German-American relations which would then impact later on the rest of your timeline

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

This is interesting. How many sources of Helium were there ? I think I once read that the USA had the virtual monopoly in this period. This could therefore be indicative of close German-American relations which would then impact later on the rest of your timeline

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The US did have a near-monopoly. There's no embargo. The USA trades with Britain, Germany, France, Russia, etc. I suspect the German and British rigid airships will be smaller but more numerous and the American ones to be discontinued more quickly than OTL.

Wait, isn't this not contiguous with the rest of the OE at this point?

It is contiguous because there was no 1st Balkan War in ttl.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
The US did have a near-monopoly. There's no embargo. The USA trades with Britain, Germany, France, Russia, etc. I suspect the German and British rigid airships will be smaller but more numerous and the American ones to be discontinued more quickly than OTL.

Weren't the US ones naval airships designed for recce and even launch of small aircraft ? Not sure if the greater success of commercial airships would impact on this or not...IIRC they were blimps in the USN, rigid elsewhere ? Maybe that last bit is a misremembering

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Just a minor nitpick. Should be Sidonio Pais.
Otherwise, keep it up.:)

Thanks for pointing out the typo. Have any suggestions regarding Portugal?

Weren't the US ones naval airships designed for recce and even launch of small aircraft ? Not sure if the greater success of commercial airships would impact on this or not...IIRC they were blimps in the USN, rigid elsewhere ? Maybe that last bit is a misremembering

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The US used airships for recon and did develop the idea of using rigid airships as aircraft carriers. The USN used non-rigid and rigid airships in OTL.

I've added a few lines about the history of airships to the timeline. I'll post them sometime in the future.

Thanks for pointing out the typo.
You're welcomed!:)
Have any suggestions regarding Portugal?
Sidonio Pais was a known Germanophile, so if he lives longer than in OTL, he will adopt a pro Germany stance.
If he gets killed/expelled by the Democratic Party, Portugal will be strictly neutral since those folks were followers of the French Radical Party, and probably Marchand got them all in jails, so they won't be very supportive to France.

err... bump ?

:D

Thanks for the continuing interest.

I'm not a fast writer :eek:

I was planning to post anyway though.

Could someone who has read the timeline make a map of 1925 for me? I'll make ask in the Map Thread if there's no response in a few days. I can then make subsequent maps myself. I have a base map from the Map Thread. I forget who made it but I thank them.

Thanks for the continuing interest.

I'm not a fast writer :eek:

I was planning to post anyway though.

Could someone who has read the timeline make a map of 1925 for me? I'll make ask in the Map Thread if there's no response in a few days. I can then make subsequent maps myself. I have a base map from the Map Thread. I forget who made it but I thank them.

Maybe I can do that for you. :) Though, would you mind to give me the details ?:eek:

I have done the map.:) Fortyseven, please check if this has matched with all the descriptions of territorial changes !

Shadow of Fashoda.PNG

I have done the map.:) Fortyseven, please check if this has matched with all the descriptions of territorial changes !

It's pretty close! (Tibet is British, Japan doesn't have Manchuria, Ottoman Crimea is just the peninsula, etc)

Thanks a bunch R. I.:)

I'm going to see if I can transfer it to the base map I have.

Last edited:
It's pretty close! (Tibet is British, Japan doesn't have Manchuria, Ottoman Crimea is just the peninsula, etc)

Thanks a bunch R. I.:)

I'm going to see if I can transfer it to the base map I have.

What ?? Ottoman only got the peninsula ? Now I'm sad...:(:p

I thought that by gaining "Crimea" means Ottoman Empire got the whole Taurica/Taurida This whole region has traditionally been as a whole since antiquity and only got separated relatively recently, so as my assumption was based on....

Tibet is fixed. As for Japanese influence in Manchuria, I think I based it on this :

In 1921, the Tommy Gun is invented. Japan joins the Alliance. Britain takes over all of Shanghai. Germany takes over all of Shandong Penninsula except for Port Edward (Weiheiwai). Japan extends its sphere of influence into Manchuria. Spain and Portugal sign a non-aggression pact. Austria-Hungary attempts to renew the Augsleich. Hungary disagrees with the new terms. Negotiations break down. Hungary declares independence.

Anyway, here is the fixed version. Japan-influenced Manchuria is still intact because I am waiting for a possible official cancelation of it from you :) :

Shadow of Fashoda mk2.PNG

I had originally given more to the Ottomans but AHP suggested to just give the penninsula.

Sphere of influence is just influence, e.g modern Canada is in the US sphere of influence. I believe I will have Japan create Manchuria as a vassal state later though.

I think I prefer the Susanoist way to show defacto and dejure control. The white borders should all be white lines.

Newfoundland is separate from Canada ( I would have mentioned it before but I didn't want to list everything)

Last edited:
I had originally given more to the Ottomans but AHP suggested to just give the penninsula.

Sphere of influence is just influence, e.g modern Canada is in the US sphere of influence. I believe I will have Japan create Manchuria as a vassal state later though.

I think I prefer the Susanoist way to show defacto and dejure control. The white borders should all be white lines.

Newfoundland is separate from Canada ( I would have mentioned it before but I didn't want to list everything)

Yes, it IS just a sphere of influence. I'm doing Susano ! Manchuria is all Japanese yellow surrounded by Chinese green (not all yellow Japan !). Or are you going to renounce it and make Manchuria all green China ?

Newfound land is fixed. I will take all that listed as "everything".

I think I'm going to use something different to represent sphere of influence. Sphere of influence should be indicated differently than vassal state. Anyway, Japan only has sphere of influence in part of Manchuria, not all of it. That's what I meant before. Sorry I wasn't clear, left that out.

I think I'm going to use something different to represent sphere of influence. Sphere of influence should be indicated differently than vassal state. Anyway, Japan only has sphere of influence in part of Manchuria, not all of it. That's what I meant before. Sorry I wasn't clear, left that out.

Okay, here is it :) :

I've modified your map and added it to a base map I like. I had to put Bulgaria in. I'll probably post it tomorrow.

Well, you did say that Bulgaria declared their independence. But I think with any outside help it would be impossible for them to keep it. Did they side with the quadruple alliance during the Great War ?