Status
Not open for further replies.
It is with a cruel sense of irony that the descendants of a people that had a 90% death toll due to disease 500 years earlier during the colonization of the Americas, faced a similar 90% death toll from Stone Dogs now.

They trusted Drakia, they were warned that was a bad idea, they were warned at great length.

In the future I don't think people will make that mistake again.

I am little bit late to the discussion but I wanted to say:
-The results of the Stone Dogs pandemic are depressing, just imagining the hundreds of millions (or billions?) of people dying of it makes me shiver.
-The last stand speech was nice.
-Klein, you slick bastard, always switching sides, he is a severe case of https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceRevolvingDoor but that's why we love him and I trust what he is planning to do.
-I can't wait to see what will happend in 14 monts ITTL:evilsmile: but "the start of the anthropocene mass extinction"? THIS scares me even more than the viruses...not only Mankind but also the Biosphere suffers a lot here.

Ah.

I thought they could have tried operating the two space fighters mentioned in Chapter 39 out of tugs to harry Drakia's few remaining space bombers in the broken back phase. Was that just not feasible, or are they focusing on holding out and bootstrapping up?

The fighters they have are short-range- incapable of traveling between the Earth and the Moon on their own. It would be possible to jerry rig something together with the other craft they have to get the fighters back to Earth, but that would leave Alliance Luna completely undefended from space and they would be badly outnumbered by Drakia's handful of remaining spacefighters. The decision was made to focus on holding out and to start bootstrapping for the long term.

Hey, I liked this timeline so much that I created a TNO-inspired custom super event for the beginning of the Final War!

This is awesome and you should feel awesome. :)

I would love to see a Wikipedia-style infobox for Arthur Klein. He’s had quite the life.

If someone else wants to make one (as my skills lie in other areas) that would be really cool.

I am little bit late to the discussion but I wanted to say:
-The results of the Stone Dogs pandemic are depressing, just imagining the hundreds of millions (or billions?) of people dying of it makes me shiver.

I really wasn't planning to be as topical with that as I ended up being.

-The last stand speech was nice.

@viper23 came up with that one! I just edited it a little bit.

-Klein, you slick bastard, always switching sides, he is a severe case of https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceRevolvingDoor but that's why we love him and I trust what he is planning to do.

He has a bad case of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder.

-I can't wait to see what will happend in 14 monts ITTL:evilsmile: but "the start of the anthropocene mass extinction"? THIS scares me even more than the viruses...not only Mankind but also the Biosphere suffers a lot here.

god if this is anything like permian excintion then bassicily everything gonna die esspically complex life

Ah, so not to give anything away but we're not talking anything even close to the Permian extinction. Maybe I'm misusing the term mass extinction, but I feel like losing 25-30% of the Earth's biodiversity qualifies.

The fighters they have are short-range- incapable of traveling between the Earth and the Moon on their own. It would be possible to jerry rig something together with the other craft they have to get the fighters back to Earth, but that would leave Alliance Luna completely undefended from space and they would be badly outnumbered by Drakia's handful of remaining spacefighters. The decision was made to focus on holding out and to start bootstrapping for the long term.

This is awesome and you should feel awesome. :)

If someone else wants to make one (as my skills lie in other areas) that would be really cool.

I really wasn't planning to be as topical with that as I ended up being.

@viper23 came up with that one! I just edited it a little bit.

He has a bad case of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder.

Ah, so not to give anything away but we're not talking anything even close to the Permian extinction. Maybe I'm misusing the term mass extinction, but I feel like losing 25-30% of the Earth's biodiversity qualifies.
that would be a minor mass excintion and consirding that our current mass excintion is on track to far succed that and consiridng how much damage the workd has undergone it should probaly be higher

the smallest mass excintion was 60 percent I belive, i could be wrong

Ah, so it's like a Grande Coupure level extinction event. Mass extinctions tend to require above 50% of life to die out to be classified as such. But whatever, I'm still intrigued.

14 months is really too short for the remaining combat-capable free nations to be ready for Round 2.

It took Germany twenty years to recover from WW1 enough to give it another go, and it didn't get nearly as badly clobbered as Free China did.

So probably Dart dies somehow, and the inevitable power struggle drags on enough that the Drakia interior breaks up into warring fiefdoms, while the Princely States dissolve away from the outside in.

....Hold on. Is it possible that Stone Dogs mutated after all, not to bypass vaccination but to infect other animal species?
Given the raw destructive powers that have been unleashed on a world already riven with industrialization far in excess of OTL, I'm pretty sure mutated Stone Dogs is a footnote.

Remaining spacefighters weren't mentioned, but yeah, that makes sense now.

Maybe include a section on the space situation post-war, during the 'Final Society' period?

....Hold on. Is it possible that Stone Dogs mutated after all, not to bypass vaccination but to infect other animal species?
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Apparently it does happen; it’s called zooanthroponosis. It’s even happened lately, with COVID and those poor minks.
Wouldn’t it be supremely ironic if the Stone Dogs mutated, jumped the species barrier back to humans, dodged the vaccines, and infected the Drakians? I mean, those Drakensis are awfully inbred, and they’re under a lot of stress, both of which tend to hamper one’s immune system. The schadenfreude would be delicious.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Apparently it does happen; it’s called zooanthroponosis. It’s even happened lately, with COVID and those poor minks.
Wouldn’t it be supremely ironic if the Stone Dogs mutated, jumped the species barrier back to humans, dodged the vaccines, and infected the Drakians? I mean, those Drakensis are awfully inbred, and they’re under a lot of stress, both of which tend to hamper one’s immune system. The schadenfreude would be delicious.
I mean this is very likely and plus war and mass militarty hostipitals. Infact their a therou world war 1 and warfront caused Spanish flu to muate to a deadlier form cause no matter how deadly it stilled infected furthermore with all dead body around it be diffcult but not immposibke for it to jump

Given the raw destructive powers that have been unleashed on a world already riven with industrialization far in excess of OTL, I'm pretty sure mutated Stone Dogs is a footnote.
It won't be a footnote- I have a feeling that there's going to be something akin to a Technological Dark Age- like EBR's Stars and Stripes Forever. You could see an "American Empire" being formed out of Klein's decedents, while Drakia eventually receives karma by having the former Bondsmen become the ruling class, enslaving the Drakensis specimens.

I wonder what happened to that one Drakensis that escaped to Italy?

It won't be a footnote.
In terms of the post-war mass extinction, yeah, it kind of is. A deadlier flu is a drop in the bucket compared to the bio and chemical weapons dumped into the watershed, and the nuclear/impactor winter enveloping the globe, the war refugees left reliant on alternative food sources...

Really the only saving grace is that the post-Final War population is going to be much smaller and resource/terrain constrained for generations.

okay wait I just realized something with the congo lake explosion waiting to happen and wiping out everything in entire region and africa conantong a lot of remaining biodiversity it should prob be more 30% wiped out

I'll collect as much info as I can find together, in case anyone ends up wanting to do an infobox.

Arthur Klein
-Born to a military Reform Jewish family in 1885
-Became more well-known after serving in WW1 (1907-10) in the Battle of the Celtic Sea
-Became a Fleet Admiral some point after the war and before 1925
-Fought in the First Drako-American war (probably in the late 1920s) without the government's permission, lost in the Battle of Sinai, defected to Drakia thanks to fearing the consequences of a return to the US
-Converted from Judaism to Drakian Christianity after defecting
-High-up military advisor for the next ten years
-Fell out with Drakian leadership following the Drakian conquest of Spain in 1938, thanks to him fathering a daughter (Fortuna Stoker) with the dictator's wife
-Defected to Italy in December 1938
-Led a Jewish regiment of Italy during the Great Patriotic War when it came to Italy in 1940
-Continued leading Jewish military groups to continue the fight against Drakia for a few years after the Pan-European Pact agreed to peace with Drakia in 1946
-Klein returned to America in 1956 and got pardoned by the outgoing Nacuaa administration
-Declared the formation of the American Empire in 1984, propped up by Drakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.