Status
Not open for further replies.
"Rods from god" are the kind of thing that totally could exist IOTL, were it not for the Outer Space Treaty and the fact that they really aren't all that powerful- their main advantage over nuclear weapons is the absence of fallout and their main advantage over conventional explosive bombs is that they're all but impossible to intercept or shoot down. You'd need a universe without nuclear weapons or ballistic missiles and an obsession with ultra-heavy artillery... hang on...:biggrin:
I wonder how long it will take for this world to get nukes.... if somehow it never happens, Rods from God sounds tasty.
I really need to work out an answer to this question, don't I?:oops:
Honestly, you really do. We wouldn't want Drakia's performance and endurance in the final war to be unrealistically good for their population size.

I wonder how long it will take for this world to get nukes.... if somehow it never happens, Rods from God sounds tasty.
Considering the lag in theoretical physics, it will possibly coincide with the space race, and that's just for the little-boy scale bombs. Development could be much more rapid, however.

Wow i stopped reading this tl for a while and just caught up. Holy moly this tl is beyond spectacular. The writing is so engaging and educational. Before this tl i never had an interest in the draka as it seemed boring and unrealistic but ebr has made it so captivating! Plus i hear the original novels have a ton of awkward sex in them so I'm glad this tl didn't have a chapter dedicated to Klien hooking up with stokers wife. Seriously what is it with alternate history novels and uncomfortable lemons?

Last edited:
I'm kinda curious what happened to the South African Boer people in universe. Since they were already present when Britain took over South Africa and were a pretty nomadic people. I could them having done something similar to the Great Trek of OTL but traveling even further in the face of Drakian expansion across the continent. Though in the end they probably got assimilated into a somewhat unusual subculture group in the empire.

I'm kinda curious what happened to the South African Boer people in universe. Since they were already present when Britain took over South Africa and were a pretty nomadic people. I could them having done something similar to the Great Trek of OTL but traveling even further in the face of Drakian expansion across the continent. Though in the end they probably got assimilated into a somewhat unusual subculture group in the empire.
It said in the map EBR posted a while back that most of the Boers who haven't assimilated are concentrated in the province of Vaal. Presumably there's more pressure on them to become "true Drakians" by the government, which is exacerbated by the much larger size and white population of the nation compared to OTL South Africa. It might not be a big deal since they're already pretty close to the top of the heap as white Citizens, even though they have their own heritage they wish to maintain. However, this cultural isolation might also provoke even stronger feelings of nationalism, which would likely be even more radical due to state repression driving it underground.

Considering that OTL South Africa actually has a surprisingly large Indian and Malay population I can see Drakia having something similar. With a lot of them having either being deported to British Colonial Drakia following any potential rebellions in India during the 19th century or brought over as indentured servants whenever the use of local bondsmen wasn't favored. The big die off local game via plague springs to mind on the possible large scale migration of such people to Africa. I'm mostly picturing them being more of a middle ground area between the primarily white citizens and the indigenous bondsmen population in terms of status.
It said in the map EBR posted a while back that most of the Boers who haven't assimilated are concentrated in the province of Vaal. Presumably there's more pressure on them to become "true Drakians" by the government, which is exacerbated by the much larger size and white population of the nation compared to OTL South Africa. It might not be a big deal since they're already pretty close to the top of the heap as white Citizens, even though they have their own heritage they wish to maintain. However, this cultural isolation might also provoke even stronger feelings of nationalism, which would likely be even more radical due to state repression driving it underground.
I can see them being amongst the "odder" citizen groups right alongside the "southron drakian's." Never quite fitting the citizen mold and adamantly holding onto their cultural heritage.

I just finished the rough draft of the next chapter, and I'm now sitting here giggling at my successful use of the phrase "illegal lunar imperialism". :biggrin:

I'll try to respond to comments and post the new chapter before the new year.

So, the Cape Malay and Indian South African equivalents would largely be considered Nationals/second-class citizens?
A significant percentage of them may have fallen to bondage, given that the Drakians were finding bodies for its old industry. Those that didn't may have long proved themselves into consistent national status or even honorary citizenship and promptly integrate themselves into the Drakian society once they were given the opportunity. The Cape Malays of our time speak in Afrikaans, after all, almost all of them must have also given up their culture and faith on the pain of death.

Considering the Drakian Empire has Jesus Christ as it's Monarch I assume there are no Citizens of non-Christian faith?
Well, yeah pretty much. They wouldn't want to piss off the Msiri and the Kurds, though, as well as the numerous Sub-Saharan ethnicities of similar faith like the West Africans and the Martial Somalis.

Status
Not open for further replies.