Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't reroll. Stick to your guns. One of the most interesting things about this TL has been your willingness to change with the dice. You'd lose some of that magic if you rerolled.

Reroll if you'd like, I agree with @Anzû this is a story you're writing, no hard and fast rules. If it's gonna impede with your storytelling then it's fine to throw it out.

Do we keep the fumble or do we re-roll? Serious question readers, what do we do here?
IMHO, it would be interesting to use the randomness of the dice roll, tempered by the in-universe factors like military or economic strength, and out-universe factors like societies characteristics (strengths/weaknesses), and Human behavior.

IMHO, it would be interesting to use the randomness of the dice roll, tempered by the in-universe factors like military or economic strength, and out-universe factors like societies characteristics (strengths/weaknesses), and Human behavior.
Even if the 1 just means the US loses all its buffs and fights a long bitter slog there's only two things I want out of this: Fascism finally taking its dominant place in the American political system as a reaction to the war (totalitarian nationalism with race-blind fully participatory democracy!) and an eventual genuine Yamato-American rapprochement. There's precedent (both TTL and OTL) for such an abrupt about face between wars, and North America and Eastasia teaming up as best buds against the Dragon will make more and more sense as Societism becomes entrenched.

Even if the 1 just means the US loses all its buffs and fights a long bitter slog there's only two things I want out of this: Fascism finally taking its dominant place in the American political system as a reaction to the war (totalitarian nationalism with race-blind fully participatory democracy!) and an eventual genuine Yamato-American rapprochement. There's precedent (both TTL and OTL) for such an abrupt about face between wars, and North America and Eastasia teaming up as best buds against the Dragon will make more and more sense as Societism becomes entrenched.
Yes, having those two team up against the societists and geoists would be awesome.

By analogy to OTL WWII, perhaps Japan strikes Pearl Harbor but then - being aware of America's industrial advantage unlike OTL - quickly offers peace?

Over a thousand dead Americans in a dastardly surprise attack by a former ally? It would be a war to the knife

Would this be a good representation of the Japanese army here?

Yes, indeed! A very accurate portrayal.

America rolled a 20 before and it was kept, I don't see how an opposite roll should be overturned. In fact, I think a 17v1 is one of the few situations where Japan wins, it will still be incredibly bloody, as the post indicates, and will(I think) allow for a richer narrative in the long run.

I vote for keeping the rolls. If Japan wins it is nice upset, if America wins it is nothing out of ordinary. Either way I see no reason to reroll.

I really love the dice system in this tl it makes the Drakaverse feel much more real as there is something that is even out of the authors control. I say you keep the rolls as they are It'll be extremely interesting to see how it plays out. Also I will cry if Australia and New Zealand dont end up as part of the united states

Would it be cheating to let the first dice roll decide the outcome of this war without letting it entirely decide how badly the one side loses? Maybe humiliating defeat, but not exactly getting steamrolled effortlessly?

Regardless of what you choose, I think neither side should be utterly crushed.

No Japanese occupation of West Coast, no US occupation of Japan, and the loser keeps some important colonies/protectorates (the losing USA might keep Ireland, Central America and Insulindia, the losing Japan might keep Korea and Manchuria but nothing else).

So, a major loss of territory and influence + reparations and military limitations, yes.
USA or Japan losing everything, no.

Right. After much consideration I have decided to keep the original dice roll and stick to my guns. However, in the interests of the narrative I will modify the results of the roll slightly. The country that rolled 17 will win a clear and substantial victory over the country that rolled 1, but that victory will be the result of a slow, bloody, grueling struggle, instead of an easy walkover due to the fumble. We will cut the baby in half, and so have the best of both worlds.:)

Manifest Destiny Banzai!

I thought this said "Manifest Destiny Brazil" and did a double-take.:p

Next chapter you should write about how weapons and tactics have changed since the last war.

This is the plan!

Last edited:
Right. After much consideration I have decided to keep the original dice roll and stick to my guns. However, in the interests of the narrative I will modify the results of the roll slightly. The country that rolled 17 will win a clear and substantial victory over the country that rolled 1, but that victory will be the result of a slow, bloody, grueling struggle, instead of an easy walkover due to the fumble. We will cut the baby in half, and so have the best of both worlds.:)

This is more or less what I expected. I did not expect the dice to be the fumble = total annexation, but thaz the dice would result in the winning roll, well, winning.

Obviously the results of a clear and subsantial victory varies between sides, so I eagerly await to see what that entails. Althougg I do imagine a bloody grueling struggle will have a harsh peace due to the cost to the victor.

Yes, indeed! A very accurate portrayal.
Given in the last update the Australian soldiers in New Guinea were armed with FN styled rilfes and the American soldier clearly had an M60 styled submachine gun I'm guessing that so this world has...
  • 60/70's styled firearms
  • Post WW2/early fifties styled aircraft
  • Roughly ww2 or more accurately late ww2 styled tanks

iddt3

Donor
Reroll, though I can see a nat 1 for the US being something like "US massacres a bunch of peaceful filipino protesters very publicly, tanking support for the war, plus earlier but non perfidious Japanese victories leading to the kind of peace Japan was after OTL." Honestly, that's a best case scenario for Japan, as a long drawn out victory will definitely be pyrrhic.

Status
Not open for further replies.