Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that we will find out soon enough, but I do wonder if Texas, California, and other Mexican territories will be annexed to the United States. Even if they are not, I imagine that American settlers would still be flooding into them. At the very least, I would not be surprised if they rebel and are established as independent republics.

On the other hand, depending on how stable Mexico is, it could potentially attract Catholic immigrants to Texas and California and send Mexicans up north to colonize it. In particular, I imagine a California Gold Rush would be a lot more Mexican ITTL, as after all it has the advantage of being separated from the rest of North America by a great desert. This makes it hard for Americans to get to California except by boat.

Texas seems like a clear focal point for American immigrants, but on the other hand American immigration would panic the Mexican government enough that it would work extra hard to settle the region with loyal Hispanics and Catholics.

Deleted member 67076

A Mexico that's gotten its stability in the 1820s as here is one that's going to be settling its north without hassle (mostly because it can continue to buy off the Comanche and avoid New Mexico and Arizona getting depopulated).

American settlers wont have the demographic advantage, nor would they be as likely to rebel (particularly given Texas is settled by French emigration) as slavocrat power is much weaker here.

On the other hand, depending on how stable Mexico is, it could potentially attract Catholic immigrants to Texas and California and send Mexicans up north to colonize it. In particular, I imagine a California Gold Rush would be a lot more Mexican ITTL, as after all it has the advantage of being separated from the rest of North America by a great desert. This makes it hard for Americans to get to California except by boat.

Texas seems like a clear focal point for American immigrants, but on the other hand American immigration would panic the Mexican government enough that it would work extra hard to settle the region with loyal Hispanics and Catholics.

Of course, that is easier said than done. Near as I can tell, the great wave of Southern European immigration to Latin American and the United States (Italy was a particularly important source) did not really get started until the late 19th century and early 20th century. By that point, both California and Texas would likely have been heavily settled by nearby Anglo-Americans, regardless of the political status of those areas.

Of course, much of this depends on whether the demographic situation in Europe has been significantly altered by the different political situation. For instance, did the Great Famine still occur in Ireland?

Deleted member 67076

Near as I can tell, the great wave of Southern European immigration to Latin American and the United States (Italy was a particularly important source) did not really get started until the late 19th century and early 20th century
It came in waves. First in the late 1700s as part of the Bourbon reforms, especially under Carlos III, then another during Napoleon's wars, and it died down until the 1840s.

Though there are noticable exceptions to this, such as the wave of Croatiansi in Chile around the 1820s-30s

There’s also the fact that Swabia and Bavaria, both Catholic regions, probably didn’t do too well ITTL what with being a warzone and all. So, Mexico could potentially get immigrants from Southern Germany (or poach them from the US - Spanish Louisiana did this) and assimilate them in a generation or two. Though Spanish with a guttural R would be weird.

As society like the Draka, where you have a relatively small citizen class and a very large serf/slave class will inevitably begin to develop gender equality - it's not really about lesbian ninjas. In the USA, the ACW did a lot for gender equality as with so many men away women had to literally mind the store and take on previously more male roles. Of course WWI and WWII added on to this. Here with basically every physically fit male in the reserve system, and it is inevitable that with Draka expansion reserve units will have call ups for combat duty, the women at home are going to have to be involved in managing farms, businesses etc. Additionally they really need to be competent and comfortable with firearms to deal with any potential serf disturbances. With a relatively thin crust of citizens, the Domination cannot afford to be exclusionary of women in higher (university) education and I expect you'll see female lawyers, doctors, scientists, engineers sooner there than elsewhere. Of course the need for women to have children, and large citizen families would be encouraged, means there are limits on gender equality especially before more modern medicine and so forth however there is no reason this "talent pool" cannot be exploited.

Here you have cultural necessity pushing towards gender equality more strongly and sooner than OTL, at least in the Domination. Unlike Muslim countries, and many other cultural centers, such pushback as their might be towards gender equality will be much weaker. To use the example of Saudi Arabia, where women more or less need to be with a male relative most of the time out of the house, and until recently could not even drive, you have a situation where the talents of half of the population are grossly underutilized. Unlike the Saudis, and if they ever run out of oil money this will be a problem, the Draka at this point can't afford that sort of thinking, and once "equality" happens it won't be reversed.
No.
All you've said is merely how women will be put to useful work, but that doesn't mean it won't be done under supervision of men, or temporarily replacing absent men.
Saudi example of women not being allowed to leave home is unique, and comes from the fact they have oil and almost nobody has to work, male or female. They have exploitable guest workers underclass filling in many jobs.
Women were always working. And they did so while subjugated to men, no less than current Saudi women are, if not more.
Women were always "managing farms, businesses etc.", it's just that those belonged to their fathers, their husbands, or in rarer cases, them as widows. Husband might let his resolute wife to manage his finances, but those were still his finances. Same for wartime job filling, once men returned from war, they took their jobs back from women. Just because females inherited kingdoms as reigning queens doesn't mean there was any sort of gender egalitarianism, that they had power was an exception to the rule, and power alone didn't made them equal.
None of stratified human societies ever got gender equality, despite nobles having large serf class and needing all "talent pool" they could get. Class equality always came before gender equality, never before it, and never could.

There’s also the fact that Swabia and Bavaria, both Catholic regions, probably didn’t do too well ITTL what with being a warzone and all. So, Mexico could potentially get immigrants from Southern Germany (or poach them from the US - Spanish Louisiana did this) and assimilate them in a generation or two. Though Spanish with a guttural R would be weird.

Well, there was plenty of German immigration to Latin America in our timeline. Argentina and Brazil were significant recipients.

A large proportion of those 39M citizens, if not the vast majority, will probably be in the military though, like if the Spartiates and the IDF had a baby.

The IDF isn't tailored to invade Eurasia or even any modern country (invade as in conquer and tame), while holding a continent. Neither would the Draka with a France-sized population.

No,I meant when the Brazilian government clamped down on non Portuguese media and they moved military units around the country,letting the southerners see rest of country,not the 1830s.

Ok,but that was in WW2,due to the war and the huge numbers of German and Italians in the south,paranoia and dictatorship usually walks together. Before the government didn't care.

Last edited:
@skarosianlifeform : The Draka make up for their relatively small citizen population with their serf Janissaries. This allows them a large pool of soldiers, and also the "auxiliaries" who perform important non-combat tasks like food service, laundry, some levels of maintenance etc. Until WWI when the Draka fight against the Ottomans, and I assume some contact with German/A-H forces, as they bring Africa under their control they are fighting, at best, less organized societies that are at a significant disadvantage in terms of military and technological power. If you have airship recon, machine guns, and the industry to produce these and keep the supplies coming "native" polities, even those well organized and with some external support simply cannot stand up to you. Where terrain favors defense (thick jungles, mountains, etc) resistance can last longer but the weapons and ammunition have to come from somewhere. Furthermore, the Draka are not averse to the "mountain of skulls" sort of warfare. If a village resists, killing all there down to the dogs and goats sends a message.

By the time the Draka are fighting more "advanced" enemies, like the Ottomans, they have a large serf force that is now in many cases a hereditary caste and has privileges that make military service worthwhile - in one of the books a Draka officer makes comments about the troops (serfs) getting L&R time (loot and rape). ITTL even with a large "enlisted" manpower pool and tech advantages the Draka are really having to work for military success, and have the distinct advantage of fighting enemies who are not only not united, but are fighting each other at the same time.

Deleted member 67076

So I've come to realize ironically that the Draka might end up pushing the end of slavery in Central Africa by native states earlier through improving unification. Historically, the British clamping down on the slave trade paradoxically had the effect of dramatically intensifying intra African slave trade at the expense of local states which disentegrated their ability to tax and maintain authority abroad as slaves were sent to Portuguese colonies and the Swahili coast. And then after 1860 a wave of statebuilding came as African states reconsolidated and expanded outward on their exhausted opponents, trading slaves for guns. This was because only the Portuguese and Arabs became major customers and the "market share" was dramatically decreasing, leading to states turning on each other rather than the periphery.

But here, with both Angola, South Africa, and Mozambique owned by a singular power trying to push up the mineral revolution earlier, that intensified slave trade is going to be directed southward and making it harder for local warlords to have access to the same degree of weapons. Meaning eventually some alternate Msiri is going to come earlier and corner the entire slaving and copper market in exchange for vast sums of guns a few decades earlier. This new state is going to rapidly modernize in response to the expansion of Europeans, the introduction of smallpox, and the collapse of slavery as a major economic activity. Its also going to align itself more to the Arabs.

That makes a lot of sense,I remember that a lot of the German and Italian settlement in southern Brazil settled in clusters,they weren't assimilated until WW 2,and that by force I believe.

They were not. Brazil as the rest of the allies took anti german, japanese and italian policies during the war time but they were lifted as soon the war ended. The erosion of their culture here was a natural process of assimilation and lack of interest by many to continue their customs. My family is italian and apart from me and three aunts older than 80, nobody else even know neither care about who was our grandgranfather.

Another great Update, well worth the wait. Unfortunately it is probably the most horrifying update yet....

Thank you and alas!

On a non serious note: THANK YOU historians, you give the ACW a suitably epic name.As your reward you get a cookie. On a more serious note: oh shit were getting a

Ah, that was a mistake. The Last Crusade is something different that was supposed to happen at the same time that America was dealing with its slavery problem. But I've kind of changed my mind about that also. It will be fixed.

With the hut tax, the Draka have a perfectly legal way to put any and all natives in to debt bondage, and the system where children inherit their parents residual debt is quite active all over the world. Of course this is a fiction as with the sale/transfer of "debt" there is no functional difference between this and chattel slavery.

The biggest difference between the system the Draka are using and chattel slavery is that with this system they can "free" elderly or injured slaves who otherwise cost more to take care of than they produce in profit.

That's interesting.
I used to contemplate alternate Drakia that would develop somewhat in the direction this one seems to be going.
Not atheistic-nihilist BDSM nightmare with sharp class division Stirling made.
A more traditional society (in many meanings of the word), that keeps its identity as part of Christian European civilization, with various shades and gradients between citizen-warrior-aristocrat and slave-underclass. Something like Latin America in that regard, with multitudes of castes based on ancestry, but with room to bend the system a bit if you had ambition. Also, no gender equality, because it made little sense for highly stratified society to question traditional gender roles. Stirling wanted his lesbian ninjas, I suppose.
I assume this Draka, if it gets foothold in Europe, will not have pillage-and-burn attitude of Stirling's, but will see most European masses as unfortunate dupes of revolutionary rhetoric. Below natural aristocrats like themselves, but above savages of Africa and Middle East.

That's almost exactly what I'm going for. The Vanilla Draka had a culture and society that felt alien- it didn't seem to connect to any other cultures or nations in its world. It just kind of popped up out of nowhere. My Drakians are going to be a clear descendant of Christian European civilization and a culturally Anglo successor state to the British Empire, a la America or Canada just with some very different external influences and a different experience while founding itself. TTL's Drakia is meant to be OTL imperialism/subjugation/apartheid of Native Americans/First Peoples/Aborigines/Irish/Africans dialed up to eleven, but still recognizable.

...and I just read through the updates. Very interesting work! It is nice to see a Draka timeline that recognizes that the Boers would not just immediately fold and assimilate into the initial wave of WASP settlers.

Thank you.:)

My biggest question with respect to the Draka/Drakians themselves has to do with religion. While I suggested in my prior post that a traditionalist understanding of Christianity might combine with general nostalgia for Antiquity to help spur these people toward conquest in the Mediterranean Basin at some point in the future, the Draka of Stirling's world flirted with neopaganism for a time. Even if the society remains majority Christian, might a form of revived Germanic paganism win over some significant number of converts here? It would make sense as a marriage of both the reactionary element of Drakian society ("we are so traditionalist that we will reject Christianity and return to the religion of our remote ancestors") and the rise of pseudo-scientific racism that seems inevitable - some will reject the universalism implicit in even the most conservative varieties of Christianity and build a faith meant only for the master class. Again, I do not think that pagans would ever become a majority of the population (after all, various forms of the occult became popular in the OTL late 19th and early 20th centuries without leaving much of an impact), it does not seem entirely implausible that such a religion could win over, say, ten percent or so of white Drakians. If Mormonism is a uniquely American religion, this could be the unique Drakian religion. After all, it is not as though these pagans would necessarily get along with the Christians.

Now, speaking of the Abrahamic faiths, I must build upon a question from my prior post: what relationship does Drakian society have with Islam and Judaism?

Some lovely questions and insightful ideas. I agree with your assessment of neo-paganism and the potential for uniquely Drakian religions. I will say that you might consider taking a look at the prologue if you want an idea of what the Drakaians will do with Christianity.

Thus far they regard Islam as pagan barbarian faith, but there is a small Jewish community in Draka.

The Vanilla Draka had a culture and society that felt alien
Well it was inspired by a few things I think, namely Nietzhce and the Eugenics movment but yeah it does seem like it was just came out of nowhere to create absolute evil (mind you that is a huge part of what made it so terrifying). Personnally I would of liked a few stories by Stirling explaining how the Draka social mores came about, showing the abandonment of Christianity and the complete embrace of depraved Horribleness but that would probably expect Abit much of him as an author wouldn't it... Still interesting direction your going for here and I like it, even if it's not what I was expecting. I still do think that their is going to be a heavy Atheist movment later on which will make waves but not unseat Draka society. Now that I think about it, I'm kinda wondering how the Catholic Church will interact with them, on one hand there a WASP dominated state who is going to eventually embrace complete evil aganst the Serfs, on the other they were extremely accepting of the French reffugees, many of whom are Catholic....My guess, probably slight cordiality untill the Draka crimes get exposed or they go anti Catholic in a effort to Unite the people aganst the outside, which ever comes first

Chapter 7
mexicowar.jpg

Chapter 7

Gold changes everything.

For whatever reason the human fascination with gold is sufficient to trigger a mad rush of people leaving their old homes for new territory, desperate for a chance at that famous yellow metal. Gold rushes transform local economies, demographics, and the balance of politics. They can lead to the displacement of native peoples from ancient traditional hands (the OTL Georgia Gold Rush caused the Trail of Tears, the California Gold Rush triggered less dramatic but still deeply unpleasant consequences for Californian Natives) and fights between prospectors and even foreign governments.

There’s no particular reason why the gold rushes in Georgia, South Africa, and California should all happen early in this timeline other than *plot*, but happen early they did- even if only by a few years. ITTL the 1842 discovery of gold in California would prove a pivotal event in the history of this version of Mexico. Nicolas Bravo presided over a deeply authoritarian Republic of Mexico that had successfully reunified itself a little over a decade before, not merely reacquiring the lands of the equally oppressive Kingdom of Mexico but also those of formerly New Spanish Central America. The decision to conquer Central America saw Mexico struggling with a bloody and ongoing occupation that left it even less able to settle or police its northern territories than it was OTL. This was not as fatal to Mexican sovereignty in the north as one might think- the Mexican government had opened up Texas to settlement mostly by conservative French colonists fleeing Napoleonic oppression and Irish looking to escape British rule, leaving American filibusterers who moved into Texas illegally (they insisted that it was part of Louisiana and therefore the United States) a visible but clear minority. The majority-Francophone Tejaneaux largely governed themselves, but generally had few issues with the Mexican government and the primary challenge to Mexico’s control in its northern territories came from Comancheria whose control over large parts of OTL Texas and New Mexico was so secure that most Mexican authorities in the area deferred to the tribes.

9000.jpg

Comancheria is one of those native states/tribal thingies that I really ought to cover with my US history students.

The discovery of Californian gold rapidly disrupted the delicate balance of Mexican influence over the northern half of its country. Large numbers of new foreign settlers and prospectors began to migrate into California, the largest number (a plurality but not a majority) originating from neighboring America- some by sea, others via the American presence in Oregon. Bravo’s regime now had immediate and powerful reasons to start exercising their authority over the north, both to control California’s gold and to control the growing number of non-Mexican inhabitants. Nervous over the presence of the new immigrants who were now a majority in California, the Mexican government limited their influence by creating complex bureaucratic hurdles to prevent them from gaining Mexican citizenship and through a combination of taxes, tariffs, and regulations over the gold industry. The increasingly established non-Mexican community- including emerging business owners- began to agitate for a greater say over their own political and economic fates. The large American segment of the Californian population was used to federal democracy and pushed back against the Mexican dictatorship, demanding the rights to freely elect their own provincial government and federal representatives, and demanding a justice system whose judges were, y’know, at least semi-impartial and not puppets of the regime. They were joined in these calls by many other immigrants from democratic or semi-democratic countries in Europe and South America, and universally the newcomers wanted the taxes on gold and mining equipment that they paid to be spent on internal Californian improvements instead of being sent back to Mexico City to be used elsewhere in the country.

America, meanwhile, was increasingly looking at Mexico as a target for further expansion following the Compromise of 1839 and the admission of Canada and Quebec as free states. The South wanted to carve new slave states out of Mexico (particularly Texas and California), the North wanted new territory for nationalist and Manifest Destiny reasons, and everyone agreed that California with its valuable gold-fields and majority English-speaking population would be an excellent addition to the United States. The South was particularly concerned as the growth of the northern population had finally broken southern dominance in the House of Representatives. Southerners had been reduced to a minority in that chamber after the Census of 1830 but Virginia had remained the state with the most seats and greater party unity in the southern states allowed the South to control the House anyway. The Census of 1840 made this impossible however, with ever more seats given to northern states and New Yorkers replacing Virginians (remember Virginia still has West Virginia and Kentucky) as the largest delegation. As opposition to slavery became increasingly ardent in the North and fears mounted in the South that an attempt to make them abandon slavery by force was in the offing, regionalism began to tear apart the American party system. The external threat of Britain had enforced a degree of unity, but fear of invasion had abated following the American victory in the Canadian War.

For President Jeremiah Sherman (an ATL grandson of Founding Father Roger Sherman) of the Great State of Ohio, a war with Mexico offered an excellent tool to rally Americans of all stripes together and distract fraying tempers from the slavery debate.

HistoryNoy-GVU-032815-1.jpg

Some of our fine American prospectors hunting for gold in California.

In 1844 the United States government dispatched a strongly worded protest to the government of Mexico on behalf of the American community living in California, demanding greater rights and freedoms for the immigrants living there. As a protest by a foreign government in the name of a domestic group within Mexico mandating changes to internal Mexican government policies, it was a deliberate provocation and Nicolas Bravo denounced it in no uncertain terms, stoking outrage in California and the United States (and to a lesser extent in Texas where the Tejaneaux majority and the Anglophone minority resented the assertion of long-absent Mexican authority). American newspapers ran lurid accounts of the mistreatment of American prospectors in California and President Sherman found the excuse he needed in the execution of three American citizens by Mexican authorities in California on charges of inciting insurrection.

The First Mexican-American War was billed in the United States as a war of liberation- akin to the Canadian War- but it was also very much a war of conquest and for the first time an anti-war movement (albeit a small one) made itself heard in opposition to a major American war. A majority of the inhabitants of California might have welcomed the arrival of a small American militia from Oregon (swelling its ranks through an uprising of their own that proclaimed a brief Republic of California inspired by the Republic of Canada that promptly requested annexation) but Texas’ reaction was far more lukewarm. The American community in Texas supported the invasion of course, and the Irish generally viewed it positively, but the Tejaneaux did not, and when a Republic of Texas (drawing the same inspiration and existing for the same purpose as the Republic of California) was proclaimed by supporters of annexation from among the Anglophone community, Tejaneaux landowners convened and declared the independence of the “Republic of Tejas” to seek true independence (General Linfield B. Patterson of the US Army ordered it dissolved). Of course, the other inhabitants of northern Mexico- whether Mexican or Native- had little desire to be part of the United States either.

The war was fortunately short and victorious for New York (TTL’s US capital, remember?) as America was objectively stronger and more advanced than it had been at this point IOTL, while Mexico’s military- though more experienced thanks to its occupation of Central America- had not improved over OTL to the same degree. When Bravo withdrew his forces from Central America to face the Americans the subcontinent erupted in rebellion, and when the Mexican Army began to repeatedly lose battles in the face of multiple enemies in different directions a group of conspirators seized control of Mexico City and killed him. Initially they attempted to inaugurate a new democratic government, until a general who had sided with the conspirators- General Jose Gutierrez- overthrew them and proclaimed himself president. He was in office for only a month during which he vainly attempted to reach a deal with the United States, until the Ejercito de Enfermos- a revolutionary group of political dissidents under the aged hero of the Mexican War of Independence (at least ITTL) General Jose Alvarez de Toledo y Dubois – overthrew him and installed General Toledo as President. Following the fall of Mexico City, Toledo surrendered to the United States.

Cerro-Gordo.jpg

Poor Mexico, so far from god, so close to the United States.

It is a fact insufficiently acknowledged (probably cause it’s embarrassing) that many of the staunchest opponents of American Imperialism in OTL were in fact enormous racists.

The annexation of Hawaii was opposed the most strongly not by liberal individuals who sympathized with Hawaiian sovereignty and the cause of Liliuokalani, but by southern racists who didn’t want to add a bunch of Asians and Pacific Islanders to the United States. When Hawaii was finally annexed during the Spanish-American War, once again many of the loudest voices against annexing the Philippines were not those who recognized that the Philippines deserved to exercise its own self-determination but again racist assholes who didn’t want a bunch of non-whites in America. When the All-Mexico Movement called for President Polk to annex all of Mexico their most determined opponents were… well John C. Calhoun said it best when he observed that;

“To incorporate Mexico, would be the first departure of the kind; for more than half of its population are pure Indians, and by far the larger portion of the residue mixed blood. I protest against the incorporation of such a people. Ours is the Government of the white man.”

While I have generalized (there were indeed some quite dedicated decent Americans opposed to imperialism IOTL) it is an uncomfortable fact that a less racist United States is also a more imperialistic United States. ITTL the prospect of absorbing such a large number of non-whites was less intolerable to Americans who were more concerned with culture than race, although the racists and sane people were still influential enough that America did not actually annex all of Mexico.

Instead it annexed California to its rightful borders, Texas, New Mexico, Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Durango, Sinaloa, most of Zacatecas, and about half of San Luis Potosi. On top of that the Republic of the Yucatan that had broken away from Mexico during the war was overthrown by a native Mayan revolution that proclaimed the State of Ixcanha and applied to join the United States out of fear of a Mexican reconquest. Ixcanha offered to become slave state and their application was endorsed by the South.

In OTL the Treaty of Guadeloupe-Hidalgo striped Mexico of 55% of the its territory and some 3% of its population, leaving America with 80,000 Hispanic Mexicans to assimilate. ITTL the territory that President Sherman saw transferred from Mexico to the United States (not including the Yucatan) was closer to two-thirds of OTL Mexico with 15% of its population- not counting Central America which had been part of Mexico ITTL before the war and was also lost to the country. The United States was left with 850,000 Hispanic Mexicans to assimilate, although as there would be 25.6 million Americans living outside of TTL’s Mexican Cession when the Census of 1850 was completed that wasn’t an entirely unmanageable number.

ManifestDestiny.jpg

Note the fleeing Native Americans as the United States symbolically pushes west into the Mexican Cession.

General Toledo was overthrown as President of Mexico a mere eleven months after having assumed the office and the new government under General Pedro de Ampudia who also lasted less than a year before being his liberal policies prompted his overthrow by a cabal of wealthy Mexican landowners who elevated General Manuel Chavez to replace him, but Chavez refused to be a pliant puppet and was assassinated again after less than a year. A civil war between conservatives and liberals began that would spill into the early 1850s and end with the nominal victory of the liberals, although their leader Juan Jose Perez would then betray the revolution and proclaim himself Emperor Juan I, beginning the Second Mexican Empire.

America had still bitten off rather more than it expected to be chewing.

The United States immediately found itself in conflict with Comancheria and the Pueblo and Navajo peoples of the western desert. An uprising among the Mexican inhabitants of Coahuila and Nuevo Leon ended up having to be suppressed in 1847 and another one in Zacatecas in 1848. Both saw large numbers of Mexicans forcibly expelled to Mexico by American troops. New American settlers streaming into the Mexican Cession triggered conflicts with the people who already lived there. The Republic of California had claimed all of Las Californias and when it became a state it maintained those claims over areas that it didn’t and couldn’t actually control.

The biggest problem however, was slavery.

The First Mexican-American War briefly drew the country together against a common enemy as President Sherman had envisioned, but once it ended the debate over slavery erupted back to the fore. The South wanted to admit Texas, California, and Ixcanha at the very least as slave states, helped by the fact that the Republic of Texas had asked to be a slave state and Ixcanha had indicated its willingness to be one as the price of admission. But most actual inhabitants of Texas- the Francophone Tejaneaux- were opposed to slavery, Ixcanha was at best ambivalent, and California’s government was actively hostile. On top of that abolitionists in Congress had gained enough influence that they were able to block not only the admission of new slave states from the Mexican Cession but also the admission of Cimarron (Oklahoma) whose admission as a slave state had been agreed to in the 1839. In the election of 1848, the northern Republicans split with the party (remember the Republicans are the Jeffersonian party) when it nominated a southern slave owner and instead endorsed the Whig candidate Robert M. Butler, while the southern Whigs broke off and formed the National Party. Butler- a moderate abolitionist who was openly opposed to slavery but believed that its abolition had to happen on the state level- won the election with the help of Canada and Quebec.

After the census of 1850 further increased Northern control over the House of Representatives and the election that year saw a number of abolitionist candidates win victories across the North Butler had the votes to admit California, Texas, and Canaan (Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon) as free states. He also oversaw the purchase of Rupert’s Land from Britain after the Metis Rebellion and pressured the Red River Republic to join the United States as yet another free state, both in 1851.

And this is the point at which the center cannot hold.

anti_abolition_cartoon_1050x700.jpg

I'll let you know when I figure out whether or not this is pro- or anti- slavery.

Northern/anti-slavery dominance over the federal government has reached a point at which it can effectively legislate without any southern input or agreement needed at all. Compromises are no longer needed. The government is making no serious attempts to abolish slavery in the South, but the free states now have the numbers that they can amend the constitution to outlaw slavery should they ever choose to do so. External threats have kept the South in the Union thus far, but we have reached a point where it is no longer realistic to keep American sectionalism under control.

So, what happens now?

You, dear reader, are assuming that there will be a civil war. After all there is always some version of an American Civil War over slavery or race relations in an AH TL- particularly in ones that deal with America. Thande’s LTTW has a version of the ACW, so does HeX’s More Perfect Union, and Napoleon’s Madness-verse, and Stirling’s vanilla Drakaverse, and Turtledove’s Atlantis, and Barnes’ Lion’s Blood, and plenty of my own works. Perhaps it is that the experience of the ACW is so central to the American identity and experience that we cannot imagine a world without it? Certainly, it makes sense at this point in our TL to have one, but I don’t know that it is quite so inevitable as all of that. The South is clearly outnumbered and outmatched and it may be a bit more realistic in its assessment of its chances. The odds of British intervention are certainly higher than OTL given the absence of a Canada that would need defending which could encourage the different parties to try harder for peace (or it might convince the South that foreign help is more likely). For that matter, with France certain to support the Union and Britain more likely to back the South, what are the odds of a civil war- if it happens- becoming international?

Hmm. I wanted the Last Crusade to be a European and Middle Eastern conflict but now one of my readers has been giving me ideas. Let us ask that other Author what he thinks.

First, we inquire whether there should even be a civil war at all. Let us say that any number on the D20 below 10 indicates a smaller conflict than OTL with 5 or below indicating no war at all. Anything above ten is a larger conflict than OTL and above 15 means it spills over into war in Europe and merges with an early version of the Last Crusade. Second, we shall ask how successful the alt-CSA should be- I think a DC of 18 should be required for victory given how much the deck is stacked against it. If it falls below 15 then some of the slave states will remain in the Union. Lastly I’d like to know what European intervention will look like- over 15 means we see British/Drakian/other troops fighting with the South in North America and every two points above ten the die achieves will add 1 point to the second roll for the CSA’s success.

Unfortunately my dice were left in the bungalow, but Google has a lovely dice simulation if you search for it. Let’s see;

Question 1:

b2bVjbx.png

Question 2:

pk8rons.png

Question 3:

Qo9CNr0.png

*Battle Cry of Freedom intensifies*

AGyghjI.png

Maybe i skipped over the but that mentioned it by accident but Will Texas or any other states be admitted as francophone states in the same vein as lower Canada was in this TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.