Status
Not open for further replies.
The main stumbling block Japan has outside of Britain's ascendant children is going to be internal divisions within Asiatic block. The independence movements in Asia are eventually going to realize that Japanese victory just means a shorter leash with more overt violations of national sovereignty. Unlike the Draka who are unapologetically expansionist if Japan starts terrorizing the Asian nations, they'll have a rebellion in China, the rest of South East Asia.

Japan in the GPW has basically accomplished a giant pyrrhic victory, cities in ruins, millions dead and her position as the preeminent power in the anti-colonial sphere decisively usurped by the Indians who look to come out of the war as the big winner. Japan may have successfully forced the US out of the Far East but at a cost that would've made anyone in Tokyo think twice about the whole endeavour

Last edited:
Japan, if they're not pigheaded enough to convince Christians and Muslims on Imperial Democracy, may try to focus on consolidating its control on Asia and maybe Indochina, since they just annexed the former. However, the rise of Situationists will surely throw a spanner in its works. It will be depending on the dice, then, whether they hold on Indochina, and maybe even Korea.

However, delegating influence on maritime South East Asia to the Indians may not be better, what with its equally, if not more pervasive anti-Muslim sentiments.

Rereading a much earlier chapter on the divide between Britain and Drakia - I have no idea if it's intentional given Pact and Wildbow's relative obscurity, but a book detailing the grotesque abuses of bonded labor having the same name as an in-universe diabolist text in Pact (i.e. Black Lamb's Blood) makes a morbid kind of sense.

xsampa

Banned
Japan, if they're not pigheaded enough to convince Christians and Muslims on Imperial Democracy, may try to focus on consolidating its control on Asia and maybe Indochina, since they just annexed the former. However, the rise of Situationists will surely throw a spanner in its works. It will be depending on the dice, then, whether they hold on Indochina, and maybe even Korea.

However, delegating influence on maritime South East Asia to the Indians may not be better, what with its equally, if not more pervasive anti-Muslim sentiments.
What about Pan Malay Islamist Indonesia ?

I disagree. Is there a "AH cliches you love" thread? Because Nusantara goes straight at the top of my list.
But where will the drama be in a harmonious Nusantara?

EDIT: I don't mean that this alt-Maritime South East Asian superstate will not be quite a power, just an imperfect, discorded one at that, especially with Malayan Fascism.
How long will the Russian Capital stay in Omsk? How badly are Petrograd and Moscow damaged?
Rex-occupied Russia basically got hung, drawn, and quartered with the effective flattening of cities, razing of forests, and handicapping and crippling of its population.

Last edited:
How much population does Russian Siberia has ITTL? I imagine it cannot be much since in OTL most of the migration towards there happened during the Soviet Era.

ephraim-ben-raphael any chance you've ever read "The Chosen" novel by David Drake and SM Stirling? Since the main antagonists of the books were expies of the Draka themselves with Drake deciding to give them a realistic approach. I'm mainly asking since they had some stuff that would fit rather well with the nation of the Dragon.
51JBCXF0DJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_.jpg

Who knows maybe this series will eventually go down the CoDominion and the General series route in the far future.

ephraim-ben-raphael any chance you've ever read "The Chosen" novel by David Drake and SM Stirling? Since the main antagonists of the books were expies of the Draka themselves with Drake deciding to give them a realistic approach. I'm mainly asking since they had some stuff that would fit rather well with the nation of the Dragon.
51JBCXF0DJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_.jpg

Who knows maybe this series will eventually go down the CoDominion and the General series route in the far future.
I had a horrible thought for an ASB crossover where the Race lands on this version of Tosev 3 during the Great Patriotic War. It.... doesn't go well for the lizards

I had a horrible thought for an ASB crossover where the Race lands on this version of Tosev 3 during the Great Patriotic War. It.... doesn't go well for the lizards
That sounds like fun. Well the Drakians may just find themselves getting driven out of North Africa and the middle east if they find themselves facing the race. For some reason I'm picturing this world is looking like 80 & 90's sci-fi book covers by the end of the century.

What about the Empire of Japan or the United States getting ISOT to otl?

What about the Empire of Japan or the United States getting ISOT to otl?
I wouldn't mind seeing that! The US in particular would be interesting to see; wonder how they'd react if they left their Canadian states behind and had a British Dominion to the north?

Probably with invasion, that seems to be the solution to all the problems where they come from. I'd love to see diplomacy win out at least once here! Maybe someone negotiates a grand alliance between the US, the Rexists, and the Asian allies to crush the Drakians and their Societist sidekicks? They've been pissing everyone off, as of late. Wishful thinking, but I can hope.

Rereading a much earlier chapter on the divide between Britain and Drakia - I have no idea if it's intentional given Pact and Wildbow's relative obscurity, but a book detailing the grotesque abuses of bonded labor having the same name as an in-universe diabolist text in Pact (i.e. Black Lamb's Blood) makes a morbid kind of sense.

That was totally intentional. You're the first person to spot it. :biggrin:

Wouldn't that be catastrophic for Drakia given that the Race is still decades of head of TTL technologically and would focus on Africa given how large swathes of the continent are perfect for them? I also imagined there would be a lot of slave/bondsmen revolts supported by the Race.

Also isn't TTL well behind us in terms of nuclear physics?

Chapter 30
Separated at Birth I Pic CLXXXIII.jpg

Chapter 30

The Great Pacific War was a bloody mess.

A massive battle for the air over the Pacific, regular strikes with incendiary, chemical, and biological weapons on civilian populations by both sides, naval raids and counter-raids, brutal battles for islands that changed hands back and forth. The campaign in New Guinea, with the Japanese trying to break out of the Bird’s Head Peninsula and the Americans and Australians trying to push them back, was particularly notorious. India became increasingly important to prop up the Asia-Pacific League of Friendship, the Latin American countries and the Tasman Twins shouldered an increasing share of the burden prosecuting the war for the Grand Alliance. Discontent and anti-war sentiment mounted as the demands of total war deepened and the punishing cost of strategic bombing grew harder and harder to bear.

“Why,” asked many, “should we sacrifice the lives- not just of our sons, brothers, and husbands, but our daughters, our wives, our grandparents, our neighbors, and our friends over who gets to control a handful of colonies in Asia and the Pacific?”

The war shifted incrementally in favor of the Grand Alliance, but American public opinion shifted against the war faster. President Vincent Connolly (W) had won the election of 1940 on a platform of fighting until victory, but the Whigs were voted out of congress in ’42, and when the election of ’44 rolled around the American electorate took the unprecedented step of removing a wartime President from office. President Richard Bradley (N) was elected on the basis of a promise not to win the war so much as “end it satisfactorily” but the peace feelers he put out yielded little. Exhausted as the Japanese were, they were angry over the losses their civilian population had suffered and they were unwilling to accept any deal that wasn’t explicitly a Japanese victory. Attitudes in America were little different- it was politically impossible for Bradley to sign any sort of peace that surrendered American territory (other countries’ territory was another matter)- and so the fighting dragged on through 1945. Strikes broke out in major cities, anti-war protests clogged the roads, and there was even a major mutiny by American sailors in Los Angeles.

The economy broke sharply in June, recovered partly over the summer, then turned down hard again in the fall.

Then came winter and Central America exploded.

Separated at Birth I Pic CLXXXIV.jpg

American marines fighting Centroaméricano insurgents during the El Diciembre Trece rebellion.

El Diciembre Trece launched a rebellion against the United States of America that was unprecedented in its scale since the defeat of the Confederacy. It wasn’t explicitly planned- although something had been in the works for a while- El Diciembre Trece was sparked when Honduras State Police moved in to break up a strike by dockworkers in San Lorenzo. The confrontation turned violent, and what started as a strikebreaking attempt in an essential national industry spiraled out of control. Riots in major Central American cities became uprisings and Centroaméricano insurgents swept out of the hills and the jungles to join in. Tegucigalpa fell into rebel hands, as did Bluefields, Leon, Rivas, Liberia, and San Miguel.

The uprising was only a couple of weeks old when the Battle of Dublin happened, and High Chancellor Susan launched his massive assault against Ireland and the American forces stationed there. The Second Draco-American War began, pitting the United States against yet another global power while the Great Pacific War still raged. President Bradley wearily vowed to protect Ireland and France, proposing co-operation between the Pan-European Pact and the Grand Alliance against their common enemy. The Societist bloc invaded the Ottoman Empire and Arabia, and Imperial forces began assaulting American, Brazilian, and Spanish Republican possessions off the coast of Africa. America scrambled to redeploy its forces to respond.

The Pan-European Pact’s decision sign an armistice came as yet another blow to Grand Alliance morale. Now the United States was fighting Japan, India, Drakia, Russia, Rhomania, and Britain at the same time, and dealing with a major rebellion on its own soil, without any new allies.

Things fell apart.

Separated at Birth I Pic CLXXXV.jpg

An anti-war protest in Rochester. After close to a decade of total war and with a deepening economic crisis, growing numbers of Americans came out in support of peace at any cost.

Soldiers didn’t want to throw themselves into the breach anymore. Civilians didn’t want to sacrifice their homes and lives anymore. The Societist victories were fairly minor- small islands whose garrisons had been stripped to reinforce positions in the Pacific, limited advances into heavily defended Turkey and Arabia- but they drove the point home. The American people no longer wanted to fight.

There was a coup in Colombia in June ’46 that overthrew the pro-American satellite government and installed new leadership that withdrew from the Grand Alliance and sued for peace. Peru followed suit without the need for a coup two months later.

Australia and New Zealand remained neutral towards Drakia and Russia, and reached out via neutral Tibet to seek peace with India and Japan. If Japan would agree to withdraw from New Guinea and guarantee to respect the territorial integrity of the Pacific Dominions, then they would be willing to make peace. Kyoto jumped at the opportunity, and after that there wasn’t much question that America would follow.

The Great Pacific War ended September 10, 1946, with an Indo-Japanese victory.

America ceded its possessions in Asia and the Western Pacific, recognized Japanese ownership over Insulindia, Indian ownership over Sri Lanka and the Maldives, and acknowledged the new Pan-Asian governments in the Philippines, Cambodia, Burma, and Iran.

With the war in the Pacific over, La Plata followed Colombia and Peru in leaving the Grand Alliance and making peace with Drakia. Brazil- which had territory in Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe being invaded by Drakia- stayed into fight the Societists, as did Guyana, the minor Caribbean states, and Ireland and France of course. Muslim Indonesia- which had been neutral all through the Great Pacific War and the Great Patriotic War- declared war on Drakia when Imperial forces began to push into Arabia and the Ottoman Caliph called a jihad.

Separated at Birth I Pic CLXXXVI.jpg

A dogfight between American and Drakian jets in the Indian Ocean.

The Second Draco-American War dragged into 1947 as the Societists ground through Turkish and Arab defenses. Both countries knew what to expect if they were conquered by the Drakian or Rhomanian Empires, and both countries fought to the knife to keep their independence. All of the ferocity that had been turned against Germany and the Pan-Europeans was turned on them; toxins, diseases, poison gases, incendiaries, and sheer numbers. Reinforcing Arabia was challenging for what was left of the Grand Alliance, reinforcing Turkey was all but impossible.

We’ll forgo an account of the individual battles and campaigns. The war in the Middle East was slow and grueling, fought by child-soldiers in bunker networks and old men and women in the ruins of great cities. Without the League to distract it the United States was capable of winning, or of preserving Arabian independence at the very least, had it not been for the fact that the American people had lost their will to fight. They were done sending their children away to die defending freedom in foreign places with names that most Americans struggled to pronounce.

And so, with Central America half-pacified, with a general strike paralyzing American industry, and with draftees refusing to board their transports, the Bradley Administration wrote its allies off.

Britain agreed to pay Ireland reparation for the damage done in its initial attack and in subsequent strikes, Drakia abandoned a couple of islands in the Canaries that they were about to lose anyway, and the border between Drakian Spain and France returned to status quo antebellum (with the exception of Andorra, which was dissolved and integrated into the French Republic). Other than that, the Societists made no concessions. America, France, and Brazil lost a collection of overseas territories that they never formally ceded, or recognized as Drakian possessions. Slightly more than a decade after the start of the Great Pacific War, the United States of America was at peace again.

Brazil’s decision to leave the Grand Alliance after New York left Brazilian territory in Drakian hands was essentially the end of GA.

Active warfare continued in Arabia until 1950, resistance lasted in both Turkey and Arabia into the 1960s, and neither country ever actually surrendered. The Turkish government-in-exile joined the Ukrainians, Rumanians, Belarusians, and Cossacks in Paris, the Arab government-in-exile opted for Jakarta- Indonesia never actually signed any sort peace with the Empire and remained nominally at war with Drakia even after the rest of the world had at least agreed to a truce.

The Great Pacific War, the Great Patriotic War, the Second Draco-American War, and their associated conflicts killed 120,000,000~ people from 1938 to 1948, most of whom were civilians.

Separated at Birth XIII.png

Earth, 1950.

Status
Not open for further replies.