Status
Not open for further replies.
At this, the Germans should just hunker down in the Urals and ignore the Russians. Their offensives need to be directed into taking the Balkans while essentially turning the Caucusus and the Pyranees into fortresses.

Question, is France now firmly on the side of the Pan-Europeans?

At this, the Germans should just hunker down in the Urals and ignore the Russians. Their offensives need to be directed into taking the Balkans while essentially turning the Caucusus and the Pyranees into fortresses.

France, I think, was still an american ally, even if it had a pro-rex government

Probably, If Germany is defeated then France is doomed. And America ain't intervening against Draka any soon.
If Germany has any brains they'll make an offer with the diplo-speak version of "Join us and after the war, Spain is yours to do with as please" to France ASAP.

Femto

Banned
If Germany has any brains they'll make an offer with the diplo-speak version of "Join us and after the war, Spain is yours to do with as please" to France ASAP.
I believe they don't need to make an exorbitant offer like this. The French are probably really afraid by this point and are already preparing to join the German war-effort.

I believe they don't need to make an exorbitant offer like this. The French are probably really afraid by this point and are already preparing to join the German war-effort.

I bet that right now, France has heavily fortified its border with Spain (as well as the coasts, to stop any British or Drakian naval attack). France is also likely in war economy mode (with all available men being called for training every month, the industry focused on military production, etc).

Moreover, France could help without declaring war on the Draka by
1 ) Providing full lend-lease to the Germans and their allies, and use the French industry to support them
2 ) Let Germans do all their naval and aerial trade (outside of Europe) under French flag
3 ) Ostensibly prepare for a Sealion-style operation (by concentrating and training troops in Normandy, preparing transport boats, etc). The plan might not be realistic, but it doesn't need to be. It keeps Britain guessing "Will France declare war and invade", and forces the British to keep more troops at home. If questions are asked, say "It's a military exercise, just in case".
4 ) Concentrate troops on the Spanish border, so that the Draka have to guard Spain more heavily.
5 ) Send a legion of French volunteers (like Sweden in the Winter War OTL).

Doing all of that (without actually joining the war) would create an important nuisance and threat to the Societists, and force them to either tolerate it, or declare war on France. Which would likely mean having America declare war too. France just followed the old French-American Alliance Treaty of 1778, and declared war on Japan in solidarity with the USA. The USA would feel politically and morally forced to return the favor if France is invaded at home... Not to mention they don't want the Societists taking over the whole Europe.

3 ) Ostensibly prepare for a Sealion-style operation (by concentrating and training troops in Normandy, preparing transport boats, etc). The plan might not be realistic, but it doesn't need to be. It keeps Britain guessing "Will France declare war and invade", and forces the British to keep more troops at home. If questions are asked, say "It's a military exercise, just in case".
Especially considering that France has landed troops in Britain several time before ITTL.

How are the relations between Drakia and Britain now that both are societists?
Honestly I wonder if Britain will end up becoming part of Drakia sooner or later. After all, they've got historical links, and they would probably both be helped by such a thing- Britain getting an easy supply of bonded labourers, and Drakia getting plenty of new Nationals to help cement their control.

Honestly I wonder if Britain will end up becoming part of Drakia sooner or later. After all, they've got historical links, and they would probably both be helped by such a thing- Britain getting an easy supply of bonded labourers, and Drakia getting plenty of new Nationals to help cement their control.

If a general war breaks out in western Europe, and the UK is severely damaged in the process, I could see Drakia trying to pull this off.

Four+Horsemen+of+the+Apocalypse.jpg

Well these guys are definitely having a good time...

Though on a more serious note hopefully both sides will be able to contain the outbreak of biological weapons considering how badly those can wreck things if they're allowed to spread. Was thinking that most biological warfare soldiers would look more like this...
americantroopsinchemicalwarfaregear.jpg

Draka infantry and jannisarires shortly prior to the Great War (as in what is coming)
Screen-Shot-2017-05-21-at-2.32.41-PM.png

Several Kurdish jannisaries stationed in equatorial africa
cuban_angolan_soldiers_angola_war.jpg

Several Draka legionaries mobilize in the dessert of Kurdistan

99d1cb96a8aba26df62da46ff37c94da.jpg

Yeah, all Rhodie, Portugese, and South African.
I feel by now the old "tommy" style uniforms would be changed for more modern helmets and camo as the Draka are pretty advanced TTL.

I'm kinda thinking Janissaries in most cases would be equipped with older semi automatic rifles and even bolt actions while the citizens would be equipped with assault rifles and SMG's.

The Draka and British need to put Germany and the Rex bloc on full blockade.
Rex trade through the Med is now cut off. And the RN can threaten the Rex trade through Atlantic.

However, Italy and France (especially France who is both Rex-leaning and an US ally) are acting as neutral trade gateways for Germany.
And with that, the Rex can hold on and stop any Societist invasion indefinitely.

Britain and Drakia are indeed doing as you suggest, but as you note trade is still flowing via the neutral countries of France and Scandinavia. Italy is a member of the Pan-European Pact and is already at war with the Societists.

France right now is a participant in the Great Pacific War on America's side, and is neutral in the war in Europe. That said, it's a neutrality that is very friendly towards the Pan-Europeans.

Given the fortifications on the border with Spain, France, Ireland, and the Scandinavian countries should throw all their offensive capabilities at Britain . Knock it out of the war quickly

Scandinavia is pretty dedicated to its neutrality right now, but Ireland and France are deeply concerned about recent developments.

There any Societist sympathisers in France? I could see whatever is left of the Monarchist right embracing it with the hope of gaining Drakian support for a Bourbon Restoration.

A handful? It's a pretty fringe ideology in France.

Draka infantry and jannisarires shortly prior to the Great War (as in what is coming)
View attachment 530653
Several Kurdish jannisaries stationed in equatorial africa
View attachment 530655
Several Draka legionaries mobilize in the dessert of Kurdistan

View attachment 530657
Yeah, all Rhodie, Portugese, and South African.
I feel by now the old "tommy" style uniforms would be changed for more modern helmets and camo as the Draka are pretty advanced TTL.

I might use some of these pictures with a chapter.

The Drakians use AKs? Wouldn’t they want something a bit more Western, as in placing quality over durability and ease of manufacture?

Yep. Drakian weapons ITTL go for being robust and durable over high quality, seeing as Drakia is used to fighting most of its battles in rough conditions where logistics may be difficult like African jungles or Middle Eastern deserts. Plus, as @Guaire noted, its an advantage to have weapons that are easy to produce when it comes to matching industry against industry. This is especially the case for weapons produced using Bonded Labour- simpler is better.

---
Hey all! Work is at least temporarily shut down due to the virus, so I will hopefully have more time to work on this TL. In the meantime you might consider checking out the Turtledoves where this TL is currently tied for third place!

Are the Americans ramping up their military presence in Spanish Canaries, Ireland, Czechia, Rumania, Turkey and Arabia ? Or even France, for that matter (not GA member but US ally) ? And/or helping those nations to have the best fortifications and military forces (in material, training and organization) ? While loudly reminding the Societists that those nations are under their aegis ?

I know that the Indo-Japanese front consumes most of military resources, but the Grand Alliance encompasses the entire American continent, and there aren't many land battles in Asia and Oceania now.

And even if it's costly, it's better for the Alliance to send more men (and aircraft, tanks, weapons, navy units...) to the European and Middle Eastern members "for nothing", than to neglect it and have the Societists invading (and having to fight a much costlier war then).

Status
Not open for further replies.