Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the spaceplanes that that accursed world produced be likened to a cross between the runway-landing Space Shuttles (especially for its orbital vehicle) and the two-stage, perhaps unholily primitive design of SpaceX starship?

"Advanced Separateverse Engineering" can help them skip several iterations of spacecraft conceptualized and produced in the OTL Space Race, but then produce other design flaws. Besides, the rightmost vehicle does look like a space plane already, albeit one that does not have wheels that would qualify it as a runway-landing plane.

It can also be excused that they didn't develop for ICBM's due to the emphasis on a partly-renewable payload delivery for the different, perhaps non-offensive space systems, with the need for a dedicated warhead platform already taken up by the orbiting projectiles.

Super_heavy-lift_launch_vehicles.png

Last edited:
Are the space settlements self-sufficient?

One possibility that occurs to me is that, with the space settlements controlling spade above Earth orbit, they have a practical monopoly on the exploitation of space. This gives them a monopoly over military weapons involving extreme energies, say, those involving lithobreaking.

Beyond this, they have an incentive to employ these technologies as quickly as possible. Nothing would prevent the Deals from getting back into space and plausibly overwhelming the independent settlements.

The author did speak of an Anthropocene extinction event. I wonder.

xsampa

Banned
One of the interesting bits is that more former British protectorates end up as Republics (Dubai, Malaya) etc
Wouldn’t a Dubai Republic or Omani republic be still dominated by former nobility given the lack of other powerful social classes?

This is how the Final Society dies.

They put all their hopes and all their aspiration on such an inhumanely human foundation, and it's about to shrug.
EDIT:They put all their hopes and all their aspirations on the shoulders of such inhumane humanity, and they're about to shrug.

Quite so. ;)

Goddamn that's some powerful stuff. You've done a fantastic job of morphing Drakia into the monster every alt historian fears

Thank you Frame.:evilsmile:

Well one thing that may be worth considering is that the flooding of the Congo probably already knocked 10 to 20 percent of life off the planet (I don't know what percentile of the species Congo rainforest has, but as a rule rainforests contain the lion share on Earth) and from there the extra 40 to 30 percent of life could come from the Final War.

That's a good point and I think I'm going to rework the number of extinct species here upward

i juat found aomething that would be perfect for the draka https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

to give you example of how bad this is
Oxidising agents are vital in rocket fuel and it was Chlorine triflouride’s extremely effective oxidisation properties that made NASA look into it as a potential rocket fuel. That was until in the early 1950’s a tank ruptured and spilled 900 kilograms of Chlorine triflouride over a concrete floor. The substance caught fire (as it inevitably does- it was a miracle it didn’t just explode) and proceeded to set fire to the concrete. The fire was so fierce it burned through 30 cms (a foot) of solid concrete and then, as a finale burned through 90cms (about three feet) of gravel. Under any other circumstances gravel doesn’t burn, it can get scorched, melt under immense temperatures, but it takes a very special kind of chemical fire to make gravel burn.

In the words of Dr. John Drury Clark (an expert in rocket fuels for NASA)

“…the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

Oh wow, I love it. Consider its use cannon.

I think that Drakia is simply going to ignore paleontology wholesale, the same way they've been largely ignoring theoretical physics. Since Africa and the Middle East (and Russia, the Balkans, Iberia) are going to be totally inaccessible or mostly so to Free World scholars, knowledge of human evolutionary history would be a lot spottier than what we have IOTL. Some form of multiregionalism would likely be the consensus based on available material evidence, though the parallel genomic clues would challenge that and AfD scholars would be puzzled.

Yeah, like theoretical physics research into paleontology has lagged ITTL due to lack of investment in "impractical science".

What a fucking chad.

That he is.:cool:

I've never liked that meme at all, really, but it especially doesn't apply here.

Virgin v. Chad is all about superficial manly oneupmanship over prior art, and to conflate that with real inner power, inner humanity, is an insult and fascist to boot.

You know, like @the Imperium of Canada I've mostly seen it used with varying degrees of irony so I'm okay with it being used here.
What was Xitiandao China actually like, socially speaking?

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The Tian "Dynasty" was a theocracy with some hereditary elements.

One of the reasons I like EBR’s writing is that he doesn’t tell us, he shows us.
In this interlude, we see exactly why the Drakian Empire will inevitably implode: they can’t cooperate or compromise worth a damn. They constantly fight each other, when they should be fighting all the enemies they’ve made. They can’t trust each other; and in the end, that’s what’s going to destroy them. We’ve seen it before in this story; each Draka is absolutely positive that he’s the hardest man making the hardest choices whilst being diamond hard. They’re in a race to be the absolute worst, with no limits, no rules, no ethics, and all the backstabbing you could possibly have.
Drakians are their own worst enemies.
It’s something that I always thought was odd about Stirling’s Draka; they’re ultimately selfish “creatures of Naked Will”, and yet they naturally cooperate and trust each other, with no infighting to speak of? Doesn’t seem realistic. EBR’s Drakians show the truth.

I'm glad you enjoyed the new chapter. :)

So is the AFD ever get around to employing cyborgs and powered exoskeletons?

Yes, but the cyborgs were still pretty basic by the time the Final War started (this was true in vanilla as I recall). Exoskeletons got more play.

By the way, what became of Naldorssen? I don't think we saw anything of her after she wrote her book. Did she do anything interesting afterwards?

What @Born in the USSA said. She became the favored ideologue of the government for a couple of decades and then retired to a semiprivate life.

Farewell, Achlys. May he rest in peace. Hopefully, his wife and child are able to survive the Final War at least. Was Lucan deliberately trying to force Typhon into giving Achlys a mercy kill or was that just an unintended consequence?

Unintended consequence. Lucan was trying to force Typhon into killing Achlys so that he'd be demoted as punishment.

Was Perdue still alive when Klein returned to America? That would certainly have been a awkward reunion.

He was still alive and did not hesitate to register his disapproval of Klein being pardoned and allowed to come back. They never met again in person though.

This works as an excellent explanation for the weaknesses that authoritarian institutions suffer. And a really good read!

Thank you!

Probably even worse than Stirling's lesbian troopers.

Definitely not lesbians- Drakia needs them pumping out babies!

Misery loves company doesnt?

It also hates the reminder that it's misery when it keeps being told over and over again that it should be triumph.

By Americans - do you mean MilGov in Ontario or CivGov in Metropolis? ;-)

How on Earth did you work those out? They're almost exactly spot on.

I wonder What ever happened to the exile governments from the great patriotic war that was being held in france during the final war?

Some are gone, but a couple of the bigger ones survived. The Turkish and Arab governments-in-exile had multiple embassies in different places. Part of the Ukrainian government in exile made it to the Netherlands.

A thought, Could the Lunar Americans be the semi-equivalents of the Samothracians?

Complete with a leader who has a French last name.

Alright, I've finished the map and I'm about 500 words into the next chapter. It's not ready yet, but hopefully by the week's end.
I love how you depict the snakes so called super humans they are broken individuals with no real ability to work in groups or relate to people. Years having having toxic masculinity delusions of grandeur and genetic supremacy instilled in them plus all the abuse in the agoge turned what was supposed to the ubermench into nothing more but scared and angry man children.

Last edited:
One possibility that occurs to me is that, with the space settlements controlling spade above Earth orbit, they have a practical monopoly on the exploitation of space. This gives them a monopoly over military weapons involving extreme energies, say, those involving lithobreaking.

Beyond this, they have an incentive to employ these technologies as quickly as possible. Nothing would prevent the Deals from getting back into space and plausibly overwhelming the independent settlements.
The main probably is that per Ephraim's wording the lunar colonies are only '60% self-sufficient', and the Drakia still have some spacelift ability.

It's going to be a race between the colonies bootstrapping their industrial capability, held back by the need for total self-sufficiency, vs the Drakia putting their house in order enough to whip up a space gun and start shelling the colonies before their internal stability problems come home to roost.

Last edited:
@Simeon, Since you seem to know a lot about the Philippines, Have you thought of doing an interlude on the history of the Philippines in the separte-veres?

I finally got caught up on the last few updates and the Final War was everything I dreamed and feared. I shudder to imagine the future of this world.

I love how you depict the snakes so called super humans they are broken individuals with no real ability to work in groups are relate to people. Years having having toxic masculinity delusions of grandeur and genetic supremacy plus all the abuse in the agoge turned what was supposed to the ubermench into nothing more but scared and angry man children.
Drakia was no more successful in creating "Homo drakensis" than the USSR was at creating the "New Soviet Man" or Nazi Germany at creating the "Ubermensch" IOTL.

xsampa

Banned
Why were there no serious attempts by India to make an alliance with Oman, overrun Aden and launch a massive seaborne invasion of the Horn of Africa in the 1930s?

Hey. Made an account just so I could tell you well done. Really enjoyed this timeline from start to finish, been binging the thread over the last few days. I especially liked the aspect of rolling, I think that it enhanced your story greatly even if it occasionally scuttled a plotline or cool idea. Because it allows me to gain an emotional investment in the story since I genuinely don't know what is going to happen. In a normal timeline, the bit about the British Situationists would've been boring for example. Because it was so obvious on an Out Of Universe level that they would win. But because I knew you could kill them, I was on the edge of my seat instead. So you may lose one or two cool plot points, but each sacrifice enhances every other plot point.

Last edited:
I love how you depict the snakes so called super humans they are broken individuals with no real ability to work in groups or relate to people. Years having having toxic masculinity delusions of grandeur and genetic supremacy instilled in them plus all the abuse in the agoge turned what was supposed to the ubermench into nothing more but scared and angry man children.

Thank you. :)

I finally got caught up on the last few updates and the Final War was everything I dreamed and feared. I shudder to imagine the future of this world.

*cackles evilly*:evilsmile:

Why were there no serious attempts by India to make an alliance with Oman, overrun Aden and launch a massive seaborne invasion of the Horn of Africa in the 1930s?

India went Hindu Nationalist and pursued some not-nice policies towards its Muslim minority, which it accused of having collaborated with the British. That made overseas Muslim alliances hard to pull off.

Hey. Made an account just so I could tell you well done. Really enjoyed this timeline from start to finish, been binging the thread over the last few days. I especially liked the aspect of rolling, I think that it enhanced your story greatly even if it occasionally scuttled a plotline or cool idea. Because it allows me to gain an emotional investment in the story since I genuinely don't know what is going to happen. In a normal timeline, the bit about the British Situationists would've been boring for example. Because it was so obvious on an Out Of Universe level that they would win. But because I knew you could kill them, I was on the edge of my seat instead. So you may lose one or two cool plot points, but each sacrifice enhances every other plot point.

Saying that you made an account just so you could comment on my TL is the highest of compliments.:biggrin: I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it, and that you feel the dice worked out. That sense of "will they make it out" rather than "how will they make it out" was one of the big goals of using them.

Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.