Separate map and comments threads poll

Should we have one thread for maps and a separate one for comments?

• Total voters

Thande

Donor
OK, my proposal in the map thread seems to have generated some chatter. I'll state it here again:

Proposal: it seems like a lot of maps just vanish into the chatter on this thread (but that's not to say the chatter doesn't include a lot of useful and interesting comments). So why don't we split it like in the map contests or the writer's forum - have one map thread for posting maps, and another for posting comments about those maps?

Note that there are two new map thread pages (mostly comments) just since I posted that earlier today...

Highlander

Banned
Although I like the other idea of making two different map threads, this is a good idea too.

I put forward the idea that PMing comments can be used as well

No one else would be able to see the comments though, so how would people learn?

I don't like this idea at all, to be honest... it seems like too much effort, and I think it will simply discourage comments or lead to people posting in the wrong thread.

I don't like this idea at all, to be honest... it seems like too much effort, and I think it will simply discourage comments or lead to people posting in the wrong thread.

I have to agree, but I'm not totally against trying it out. I just think it would be confusing and discouraging for people.

The idea of a seperate thread makes sense, and I agree that a lot of maps get lost in the clutter of the Map thread, but I'm not sure if just splitting the thread is the answer. It would make things that little more complicated, and the two threads could easily lose track of each other.

Thande

Donor
I appreciate that there are arguments against this, but I think the pluses outweigh the minuses. I know we'd probably have to deal with n00bs commenting in the main thread like we do for the map contests and we'd have to get Krall to make them wet themselves, but consider the advantages: if all the posts in the main map thread contain maps, then your map will stay on latest page for days rather than hours, meaning many more people will see it and comment on it.

I appreciate that there are arguments against this, but I think the pluses outweigh the minuses. I know we'd probably have to deal with n00bs commenting in the main thread like we do for the map contests and we'd have to get Krall to make them wet themselves, but consider the advantages: if all the posts in the main map thread contain maps, then your map will stay on latest page for days rather than hours, meaning many more people will see it and comment on it.
Nobody will comment on it because they can't be bothered to go find the comments thread, remember who posted the map, and then go through all that for "Nice map". So I suppose you'd have higher quality comments on average because it takes more work to do, but... Meanwhile, it will also make it very difficult when going back through the map thread and look at older maps and comments, because the chances that the two threads will move in pace are quite low...