Seapole World Map

Not at all, that's what it's there for. Do credit the bloke who originally created these scenarios, though. (Or woman if Max is right).
Good. Just want to get rid of the world building itch until I get more time.

Ah, excellent. Always loved his globes. I always wanted to do a story set in Seapole.

Thande, do you mind if I use your map for a series of quick maps?
Well then, you two should expect some competition, as I've been wanting to do a TL/Worldbuilding experiment on one of these worlds, and Shiveria isn't nearly as interesting as Seapole.

Well then, you two should expect some competition, as I've been wanting to do a TL/Worldbuilding experiment on one of these worlds, and Shiveria isn't nearly as interesting as Seapole.
Really? I'd think the Shiverian Mediterranean hothouse would be extremely interesting, evolutionarily speaking of course.

Thande: Siphonia is good. Also potentially Inversia if you can do eet.

I'd like to request Dubia or Inversia, preferably Dubia first.

Also, it truly is amazing what a simple change in projection will do to familiar landforms.
Although personally I never quite understood why people find it so hard to recognize landforms on these altered maps. I mean they're the same no matter what and even in the same positions relative to each other; they're just moved around on the surface relative to the poles.

But then I'm so good at visual stuff and have liked maps for so long that that might be why...

Here's Jaredia:

JAREDIA0.GIF

Although personally I never quite understood why people find it so hard to recognize landforms on these altered maps. I mean they're the same no matter what and even in the same positions relative to each other; they're just moved around on the surface relative to the poles.

But then I'm so good at visual stuff and have liked maps for so long that that might be why...

It's the altered distortions in the maps. He explains it in his works; we are so used to different landforms being in different proportions to each other due to distortion that we don't recognize the same landforms with different relative sizes. Also, his messing with sea levels breaks up a lot of the familiar shapes of the continents.

Here's Jaredia:

Looks to me like part of Africa is missing there.

Not that anyone should complain--are you doing these by hand?

I use G.Projector which is free. It takes equirectangular maps (longitude=x, latitude=y) as the base and reprojects in quite a few others. Unfortunately there is no easy way It provides to visualize alternative poles!

It would be nice to have a piece of software that can take one equirectangular map, and redraw it into another with other poles; then G.Projector could display the alternate world based on that new map.

Anyway it looks like in the process of making Jaredia as something like equirectangular a strip of Africa, corresponding to the part that would make up the polar region, got left out; the result on G.Projector is that central Africa is sort of sucked into a black hole, and every landmass is distorted, widened toward what would be the new polar axis. Madagascar for instance is nearly round now.

Well, that ought to give me a clue just how much of Africa is missing. If I can fix it (simplest method being just add more white to the top of the map) I will let y'all know!

Still wrong but better for G.Projector

I used Photoshop to widen the canvas on top so it is exactly half as tall as wide (180 degrees versus 360) then arbitrarily painted in some white land and blue sea. Now when I feed that into G.Projector and go to an orthographic projection (like looking at a globe) the other landmasses look closer to ours, and unfortunately Africa is now considerably bigger than it should be. I guess if the original map were a bit stretched east-west then that would happen but I don't really know how to fix that, so here it is, if I can figure out how to upload it.

JAREDIAFull.gif