Se Deus quiser, há-de brilhar! - Uma História do Império Português (Updated 03/18)

Lusitania

Donor
Another major issue that will benefit both Portugal and Castile is the presence of the Jews in the Iberian peninsula.

Meanwhile the Dutch and Ottoman Empire economic prospects have been hurt by their absence.

Banking and venture capital could be a new area for Portuguese as the rich Jewish portuguese families could be enticed with the proper government laws and policies to establish both formal banking system copied from northern Italian peninsula which during the 15-17th century could rival the Italian banks.

from my reading while banking existed in northern Italian peninsula and spread to Northern Europe it was shunned by other southern catholic countries. Have similar banks with both Jewish and catholic families spring up and when challenged by conservative church officials be shown that they operate quite legal and openly in and around northern Italy. For if they be influence of devil then pope would of tolerate them.

another thing could be the start of chamber of commerce as done in Netherlands and England but maintain things 15th century. Loyds of London could be an example. Portugal did have a shipping insurance scheme setup to help with loss of ships and such already.

Last edited:
At this moment Castile has lost 3 of its 4 zones of settlers origin (Galiza, Extremadura province in Leon and the Canary Islands, keeping only Castile) and 2 of its 5 zones of sailors origin (Galiza and the Canary Islands, keeping Basque country, the Cantabria province with its 4 major harbors – the most know is Santander, and the region of Seville-Cadiz)

Now there are several options to the Castilian Empire:

1. Kept as it is, the Castilian crown can establish an empire smaller then OTL but still posing a threat to the Portuguese plans

2. Kept its conquests directed to North Africa, as such they must lose the Basque region to Navarre that claims it and the Seville-Cadiz region and the Cantabria province to the Portuguese

3. Kept just a landlock Iberian kingdom, then Murcia must go for Aragon that claims it and Granada to Portugal.
Now we have a Castile with many nobles that lost lands and revenues in the former Kingdom of Leon, but also ruled by a queen that they say it’s illegitimate.

I wonder if this wouldn’t led to the formation of an permanent Portuguese army, in the way of the Swiss as such as Afonso de Albuquerque tried to do in India, but failed.

It will reinforce the spy’s networks that João I had in Castile, as he must help his half-brother to prevent the return of Isabella.

Granada with a more weak and divided Castile, sooner rather than later will declare war on Castile.

The attacks will be more aggressive with more zones taken from Castile, but this also threatens the Portuguese control of the Gibraltar Strait and that is something that the Portuguese king can´t accept.

The most like is to launch a land offensive in the western provinces of Granada and naval attacks to control the ports of Malaga and Almeria to get a better control of the waters and prevent some help from other Mediterranean nations.

Just a curious note, but one that João I will most like used; the last time Leon was independent with Juan de Castilla e de Tarifa in 1296, titled John I, King of León, Galicia and Sevilla.

In 1301 he abdicated reuniting the two kingdoms Leon and Castile.

For my TTL, I'll go for option 1, probably Castilian influence is limited to Mexico, Central America, Cuba, Hispanola and Puerto Rico, but given the reduced size I'm not sure if that would be possible. The Philippines TTL could probably be split between a Portuguese Luzon, Castilian Visayas and Muslim Mindanao, with Portugal having the Caroline and Marianas islands, as well as Guam and Palau (Portuguese-influenced Chamorros would be very interesting).

when and how does the new world get discovered

Probably a few years later than the traditional date of 1492. Columbus will set sail for France, so I'm expecting to see a larger New France TTL, but it's too early to tell.

Lusitania

Donor
The issue of New world exploration will be one that will be a hot topic. Columbus will of course be doing his thing. Visiting Madeira and now that canaries Portuguese there too to formulate his ideas and hypothesis.

If Portuguese exploration stays on course we will reach cape before Columbus arrives in Portuguese court. With the knowledge gained by Portuguese sources (spies) in Ethiopia and Ottoman Empire of the Indian Ocean and our knowledge on how to sail around Africa will lead Portuguese to reject Columbus idea.

Columbus will not find a receptive situation in Castile to fund his expedition with their economic situation and Granada still there. He will try France next.

This will then lead us to next question do the French reject Columbus or do they fund an expedition that sailing west from Brittany would land around New England or Gulf of st Lawrence area.

Either way the announcement of Vasco da Gama expedition in 1496-1498 would suddenly spark interest in Columbus idea. If he was rejected by France who hires him? If he was hired by France and sails to new world say between 1493-1495 how many other expeditions would they fund by time of Vasco return? Or do the French fund first expedition and when presented with trees and cold land fire him and he be hired by Castile who afraid of loosing out too much send an expedition that reaches say Puerto Rico.

Anyway interesting scenarios to think about.

Also will Castile spend its resources to try capture Grenada? Makes sense since that only place it can expand on the Iberian peninsula. Will it be successful or fail?

Last edited:
A very interesting TL. About the suject I wanted to make a TL long time ago. But I would prefer Portuguese-Leonese union in say 13th century... Anyway, subscribed. Don't keep us waiting.

Agreed. And I'm not sure that they will be able to keep them against this much stronger Portugal-Leon-Galicia.

I think this TL would be better off with Portuguese Luzon and Visayas as separate Overseas Provinces due to cultural differences between the two regions, and keeping Mindanao Muslim (perhaps in a larger and surviving Bruneian Empire). So expect to see a much larger Portuguese East Indies from Sunda to Visayas in this one, a bit like Torbald's TL. Probably TTL's name for the Philippines would be either the Afonsinas (named after João II's son) or Lazarinas (as named by Magellan OTL as the St. Lazarus Islands).

Anyways, my progress on the next chapter on the economy is rather slow due to some assignments I need to finish for college, plus another minor writer's block, for now.

This is a probable local name of a Portuguese Luzon

Craig’s conjecture was that “Liu” was probably “Liu-sin” or Luzon; and Kiu was “K’iu-lung” or Formosa. Terrien de Lacouperie’s notes called the Gaddans and Kalingas as Tagala tribes. There are present-day northern Luzon tribes of the same names; but neither tribe calls Tagalog as a native language.

Could it be, then, that the name Ta-gala was much earlier used to refer in a general sense to the inhabitants of Luzon; and only with the onset of the Hispanic period was the name used in particular to distinguish the Tagalog ethnic group that occupied the central to southern parts of the island from the rest?
https://www.batangashistory.date/2018/03/tagalog.html

A probable local name would be a name deriving from Tagala, from Taga-Ilog.

Chapter 4 - Agrarian Expansion
Chapter 4 - Agrarian Expansion

BWFK-4-8tP3dJMUPV2Rerrab0DHTakv6oS8FZ4n8pCnUCZwYXaH-PaXfmiVtv_q6n5oM2Y3wcRqSYIq6au8FSmwHqlEmzTg_P4QijIU6iirz7_JkV6N5jIzmIzWjTbrnSAylOeyX

Chafariz d’El-Rey (The King’s Fountain) - This oil painting by an anonymous Flemish artist from c. 1570-1580 features images associated with the wealth and power of the Portuguese Empire, with goods flowing in from Guinea to Japan.

The year 1500 was characterized by many historians as the definite start of the rapid development of the Portuguese economy in the early modern age, in coincidence with the economic and population growth of Europe in the 16th century. The reign of João II led to an upturn in population numbers, a clear sign of the long-term cycle of prosperity, along with the rise in per capita output that exceeded pre-Black Death levels, unlike in the rest of the Iberian Peninsula. Industrial and Agricultural production has increased in addition to the development of the intercontinental trade.

João II knew that if Portugal’s empire can last for generations, it cannot just simply ignore the premature industrial and agricultural base and buy everything with the gold they have from their successful intercontinental trade. Rather, he believed that it is his and the House of Avis’s duty for Portugal to be an industrious country and produce exports in order to forge a strong empire.

o3wv05Rny916SUlbmMB049F4YfrIganV6gDX4YBxQDsRVYwbm31CD94EIv1w_BYlNBOPXL89Osu8_yxAZ72FKPvQPm8n7e5K_tQyv2nTz8_LwvCsr1dPDNFFmbtO-2M_nzlGVL85

A typical scene of the Portuguese farmland, taken not far from Lisbon
The long-term population of the 16th century pushed up demand for land, and urban expansion means greater demand for food and raw materials. From the last decades of the 15th century, more lands were brought under cultivation, especially with the extension of arable land consisted of reclaiming areas left empty after 1350. In Galiza and Leão, the extension of arable land also took place in order to maximize productivity of foodstuffs, with emphasis on irrigation. With this, Portugal has plenty of arable land that could be put to good use. Throughout the country, landowners, seigneurial lords, and church institutions encouraged the recovery of abandoned arable land by allowing lower fees for land use. The expansion of farmland also called for clearing acreages that had never been cultivated in both reclaiming of abandoned ones and clearance of new ones. Examples of expansion of farmland were almost everywhere, especially in Alentejo and rural hinterlands of Galiza, with the former having undulating plains and rich fertile soil, becoming the breadbasket of Portugal.

The expansion of arable land took the form of clearing woodlands, draining marshlands, as seen in Estremadura and the Algarve. In some areas, such intensive clearing led to total deforestation. In the Trás-os-Montes region and in some parts of Galiza, peasants used the slash-and-burn technique to obtain new land for the cultivation of rye for a limited time. However, the use of such techniques is restricted, as João II issued an edict in 1509 that made the use of the technique forbidden in areas that are vital to the shipbuilding sector, like in the area around Viana do Castelo [1].

The extensive growth occurred within the institutional framework that ruled access to land and determined social property relations in the Middle Ages. Access to agrarian land was still regulated by several types of agrarian contracts, which provided the necessary incentive for the takeover of new acreages. Emphyteutic contracts were widespread, as they satisfied conditions for both the landowner and the tenant. In addition, the rights of exploitation over plots of land communally owned were regularly transferred to peasant families through short-term leasing, an arrangement which fostered the replacement of pasture with arable land. João II also intervened through the expansion of the use of granting sesmarias, which are vacant or abandoned land appropriated by the crown which are allocated to peasants for the use of agriculture. In the first three decades of the 16th century, such sesmarias were granted to promote cultivation, from the expansion of the production of cereals in Alentejo to the production of new crops coming from the New World like rice and corn.

Landowners also played an active role in the expansion of arable land by investing in more expensive and demanding ventures, such as the draining of marshlands and clearing of woodlands, with assistance from the Crown. Clerical and noble institutions played a key role in such ventures, especially in the Mondego and Tagus river valleys, and in Alentejo. The Crown itself took on similar efforts, such as the draining of swamps around Óbidos in the Estremadura region and an ambitious engineering project from 1498-1499 that changed the course of the Tagus river, designed to protect farmland in the floodplains around Santarém from the sand brought by the river [2]. Such expansion of arable land was achieved quickly by peasant families in order to make more room for Portugal’s population to expand to around 2.5 million by the beginning of the 17th century. Similar growth happened with Galiza at 1.3 million and Leão at 1.5 million [3]

ybKsFzz0z0N2uxmJ4drFFFmu2qiz2i3kch3uVEIx9sR4kQnD-oSpTT-Z2Xg0gEd84e8Df2xLPM28pt4n350QXP9GmJjna9sVpWYwPszJkT8AwbYsm6FQomFrqVzvMQQEompHMSN3

Salted cod in a market in Lisbon

In addition to the agrarian expansion, the fishing industry has also made great strides during João II’s reign. As an Atlantic country and a major seafaring nation, Portugal has a long tradition in the fishing sector with one of the highest fish consumption per capita. Cod, or bacalhau has been produced around the time of the Age of Exploration. The ancient techniques of drying and salting keep the many nutrients and makes the cod tastier. This technique is used even further upon the discovery of the island of Bacalhau before the Portuguese colonization by the Italian-born English explorer John Cabot in 1497 as Portuguese and Galician fisherman started fishing in the cod-rich Grand Banks. In addition, several fisheries in Galiza were expanded, mostly in Vigo and Corunha, the former eventually becoming one of the main fishing ports in Europe. The region seas around the region of Huelva also provide a good fishing ground in the south, east of the Algarve. After hearing the news of potential fishing grounds around the region, João II ordered a new city to be established there, named Ilha Catarina in 1502, named after Infante Afonso’s spouse Catherine of York. The city became one of the most important fishing ports for Leão, and its catch being highly prized throughout Portugal [4].

[1] The OTL clearings in the early decades of the 16th century led to shortages of wood around Viana, which is related to the intense demand for shipbuilding timber. In the Algarve, the recurrent use of slash-and-burn clearings triggered deforestation of the mountains near Tavira. A prohibition of the use the technique in the area ensued in 1561, in order to protect the woodlands and the shipbuilding sector. TTL we have an earlier prohibition that extend to all of Portugal.
[2] OTL this occured around 1543-1544.
[3] I deduced the data of the new Portuguese territories through a guesstimation from the Castilian census of 1591. Any feedback would be appreciated as my numbers might be wrong, as it was difficult to look for data for the Castilian population in 1500 and 1550.
[4] The city was established 1755 OTL.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
I think you have done a good job in terms of advancing the economy with the low lying parts that people in Portugal at the time could understand and implement. Another point would be to allow for immigrants from areas witnessing war or natural catastrophes. Also Christians fleeing persecution. They could be recruited to more remote areas.

lastly would be slaves and they can be from
North Africa and from west Africa. They can be brought in to work on public projects such as roads, canals and government or church buildings.

Footnote - On chapter 5
It has been a month since I wrote my last chapter, and I already had plans on the next chapter, which is going to be on the numerous territories and maritime routes the Portuguese discovered (which is going to be an OTL-based chapter).

As much as I don't want to keep you all waiting, I had a lot of busy things to do since I got sudden news late last month that I am switching to a new agency for my current job and at the same time, studying for my final exam in two weeks. I have mentioned in my previous posts before that I will post chapters irregularly due to my school/work commitments.

With that being said, any more feedback on my last chapter would be appreciated.

Lusitania

Donor
What happened to the Columbus?
Well he still goes to Portugal in 1480s probably still goes to Madeira and maybe canaries. When he presents his idea to portuguese Corte I still expect it to be rejected.

Now here is where we have major deviation. As iotl the Italian trading nations Genoa, and Venice not interested. He travels back to Iberian peninsula but here he should find a different reception. A weaker Castile and Mediterranean centered Aragon would reject Columbus. He then travel France and England.

we can have him rejected or the idea I like best is he stays around French Corte for few years. On retainer so that no one else gets his services.

as news of Portuguese discoveries in Africa slowly filter to France, the french king finally agrees to finance an expedition say 1495. He sails from britany and tries going but south but never get below Iberian peninsula. His voyage be slower since he going against current and might hit a storm loosing one of his 3-4 ships. With the crew ready to mutiny the reach Carolinas.
I think they meet natives but things not go so smoothly and some confrontation occurs.
He then sails south as far as Tallahassee Florida before lack of provisions and angry crew force him to sail East. Ships damaged sailing East and forced to layover in Azores where he and crew arrested. They transported to Lisbon and after meeting portuguese corte and protest from French ambassador they released.

returns to France but lack of treasure, hostile natives make his return less than happy. He kept in France fir few years while French ponder what to do.

new of Vasco Gama trip reaches Paris in 1499 and Columbus summoned and new expedition readied.

now we should get France and Portugal to come to some agreement. Portuguese not know what out there but at moment they most powerful navy. So some sort of agreement is established that limits France claims to south (remember renegotiated later).

secound expedition establish fort near Tallahassee and he sails south along coast till reach keys. He reached Cuba and sails East reaches Bahamas / kaikos island before sailing to France.

third expedition he tries north and reached gulf of st Lawrence even st Lawrence River but then forced to return.

He not given a fourth expedition that left to others.

I think that Castile in 1500-1510 sends its own expedition and reaches Caribbean. England also sends its expedition to gulf st Lawrence and new foundland.

Good ideas. They seem logical to me.
Shall we have Portugal, Galicia and Leon forming "Spain/Hispania" as some sort reverse Castille-Aragon?

Last edited:
Very interesting TL. I'm following this from now on.

Just a suggestion: throughout most of Modern Era Portugal wasn't able to feed itself and was dependent on wheat imports. You incorporated Spanish areas mostly related to cattle and sheep herding, so, I think that problem will persist. IMHO the best geopolitical choice to have a cheap source of grain is to occupy and/or have a special relationship with Morocco somewhere along the way, as I think it would be complicated to depend on Spain or any other European nation for grain.